Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Help---please! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Help---please!
JOHN
Member # 1343

- posted      Profile for JOHN           Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, I haven’t posted in a while, but I decided to get off my @$$ and actually start writing something and this has taken away anytime to post on the BB. I’m currently working on a fantasy novel and about 20,000 words and forty some odd double-spaced pages into it and I’ve hit a wall. Thankfully it’s not a wall, which can’t be climbed over, but it’s tall enough I need some suggestions.

My problem is this…I need to set up a romantic relationship between my two of my characters. Now, I really don’t want to draw it out, because I hate when you know something is going to happen and the author feels it’s necessary to write a 100 pages leading up to the most expected and anticlimactic sequence of the story. From the outset everyone knows the Queen’s champion and the Queen are going to “get it own.” Their relationship takes place in a series of flashbacks and after I’ve established the relationship between the Champion and the Queen the plan has always been for her to die. The one thing I’m trying to avoid is setting up a “straw man.” A character that serves little purpose and lacks any characterization and is essentially a prop. The Queen’s death is the reason for the Champion being a total piece of sh*t at the beginning of the novel. Characterization has never been one of my weak points, but in this case I feel it’s terribly important to the novel as a whole. I have to make the readers care when the Queen dies---I have to make them feel the way the Champion feels. Now, the way to do this is to see the relationship between the two of them develop through the Champion’s eyes. You take the roller coaster ride with him.

I know what I need to do, but not how to do it. First off she’s in a position of extreme authority. Not only that but the story takes place in a sword and sorcery world, so it’s not like the can go to Chi-Chi’s or talk on the phone and get to know one another. I have a few really bad ideas that all sound like a medieval version of “Saved By The Bell”----not really what I’m going for.

Now, I’m not asking anyone to write this for me, and I’ve done my best to keep the details ask vague as possible, but I’d be interested to know how some of you would approach this situation or even how some published authors have approached a similar scenario. I’m just looking for a little brainstorming and anything that could jumpstart my own thought process. I’d appreciate any ambiguous suggestions.

I’ve always thought there was a fine line of asking for help and explaining a few details of your story and asking people to critique your work. I hope this post doesn’t fall into the category of the later and I apologize if I’ve broken any of the BB’s rules.

Thanks,

JOHN!

Posts: 401 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Tanglier
Member # 1313

- posted      Profile for Tanglier   Email Tanglier         Edit/Delete Post 
Show the Queen being a good person, who gives of herself often and without reservation, and has benevolent aspirations of the futures.

When a person dies, I think a lot of one's sorrow comes from the destruction of all the good work that person would have done in the future.

Good luck.

Posts: 193 | Registered: Dec 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
cesare borgia
Member # 1363

- posted      Profile for cesare borgia   Email cesare borgia         Edit/Delete Post 
From what I can tell, sadness is caused by a general feeling of wrongness--they just aren't supposed to die. It's something so opposite to everything you're expecting and hoping that it just tears apart the whole world that you're working in--just like a death in real life.

So don't write as if the Queen is going to die. Get that out of your head. Write as if she has an entire life ahead of her, one filled with dreams and hopes and aspirations, with goals and duties and responsibilities, and the million other things that make us human. Then, when you suddenly end her life, the reader will be heartbroken, which is exactly the point you're trying to make.

that's my 2 cents anyway...

Posts: 9 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you telling this story in chronological order, or is this romance and the Queen's death taking place in a flashback?

(I ask because you say you need to show the romance so the readers will know why the Champion is the way he is at the beginning of the novel.)

If the romance is not part of the novel, but only part of the novel's past, why not make it a mystery that is revealed through the course of the book instead of in one big lumpish flashback that stops the story you really want to tell?

Flashbacks, when used at all, should be used sparingly and should not take up a lot of space in the story.

The state the Champion is in at the beginning of the novel should be enought to tell the reader how wonderful this romance was and how tragic the Queen's death was. I'd think you could also "up the ante" (if it fit with the story you are really trying to tell) to have the Champion feel responsible in some way for her death (even if you don't have other people think he's responsible).

Usually material that is important to the story and that happened in the story's past can be revealed in bits and pieces (as in a mystery).

If you really feel you have to show it all, don't do it as a flashback, start the novel while the romance is still all moonlight and roses, right before the sweethearts find out the Queen is going to die, and then show about her death. Then skip to the beginning you have now, however long after the Queen's death that is.

I hope this helps.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Falken224
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if you were asking "How do these characters get involved in the first place?" keep in mind that people in positions of authority . . . especially queens, don't notice meek little subservient types. They NOTICE people who treat them normally, in other words, as if they HAD no authority. So, perhaps this guy finds occasion to give her the old polite but firm "screw you" speech.

Handled well, that could be a jumping off point for a good romance. Depending on the characterization of the queen, (is she as likely to hang him for such a thing?) and the way in which the champion defies her, (is she exerting her authority unjustly? does he have a good reason? and is he *polite but firm*?) there's a lot of openings for some strong chemistry, for good or bad. Though I assume you want GOOD chemistry.

Now that's only one way to do it, but remember, she's a queen . . . he has to do something worthy of her attention . . . BESIDES being the knight-in-shining-armour type. Think of how many blustering idiots she sees in a month!

Anyway, just a few thoughts.

[This message has been edited by Falken224 (edited March 19, 2002).]

| Report this post to a Moderator
GZ
Member # 1374

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
As far as getting a romance started in the first place…

Perhaps because of some assignment the Queen’s Champion is doing for the Queen they end up having some private meetings. Such a set-up might become just informal enough for them to get to know each other more as people rather than ruler and servant. And there are always little subtle things that can happen, like a brush of hands while pointing to something on a map, etc. that can sort of slowly jolt them out of their formal relationships.

Just a couple of thoughts...

GZ

Posts: 652 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
JOHN
Member # 1343

Thank you to everyone that responded so far. Some of the suggestions actually mirrored things I've already set up, so it's appears I'm on the right path. I apreciate your time and suggestions. Those who haven't posted but would like to your thoughts would be greatly appreciated as well.

The flashbacks go in chronolocigal order and there is a bit of a build up to the Queen's death. When I start the story the Champion is huanted by his noble past and I'm more comfotable starting the story when these events are already in his past.

Thanks again,

You guys kick ass!
JOHN

Ever BB has different rules for profanity and I've been kicked off of certain unrelated BB's for using profanity. (although the the things I words I was using were a lot more extreme that a simple ass) Personally I agree with you, we're all adults and as a writer I depise censorship and I perfer using ass instead @$$ it annoys me to the same end, but in case you haven't noticed past BB experiences have made me a little scared of being booted.

[This message has been edited by JOHN (edited March 19, 2002).]

JK
Member # 654

- posted      Profile for JK   Email JK         Edit/Delete Post 
Tanglier's idea is a good one, but make sure she isn't a little Hermione to your Leontes (i.e. a totally good and pure character) since that tends to make a character seem two-dimensional, which is what you're trying to avoid. Also, knowing the dead character had human flaws enables the reader to identify with the dead, again what you're looking for. Cesare's ideas are pretty much what I would suggest (don't write her as if she's going to die, so it will be a shock).
Perhaps thinking about how the Queen dies could be useful. The manner in which she loses her life will reveal a lot about her (for instance, if she dies slowly and quietly in her bed, that could contrast with a dynamic personality in the eyes of Mr Champion?), and the way in which she 'copes' with her dying gives a good excuse for some subtle exposition (i.e. major regrets).
Hope this helps.
JK

BTW, just a personal thing, but if you're gonna write 'ass', write it, I beg of you. We're all grown-ups here, we can stand the sight of the odd ass. Although, for me it's an arse. Point is, an @$$ irritates me. Sorry, but there it is.

[This message has been edited by JK (edited March 19, 2002).]

Posts: 503 | Registered: Sep 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
JOHN
Member # 1343

I hint at the Queen's death throughout the story in between flashbacks. And the Champion blames himself for the Queen's death but worse so does the general public. When people realize the Champion's identiy the often refer to him as the Queen's Assasin. But now that I think about it maybe I should edit this aspect of the story out completly. So, not only the manner of the Queen's death is a shock, but the fact that she has died comes as I surprise as well.

As much as I like discussing writing in general this is more of what I was hoping from this BB. A community of people just bouncing ideas off one another for their own individual projects. I guess I was looking for a sounding board.

Again, further comments are appreciated, but you guys I've helped me tremendously.

Thanks,

JOHN!

Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a couple of things that might represent a slightly different take on things, depending on who you ask.

First off, I don't think that it's even slightly fair to try to hide information that the POV Character already knows. This guy knows that the Queen is dead, no matter how drunk he gets every night, how many stupid, pointless duels he jumps into, and no matter how much he lies to himself about what did and didn't happen to cause her death. It underlies far too many of his motivations for you to try to hide it. I'd actually say that rather than just hinting between flashbacks you should make it explicit that the relationship is over permanently every time he thinks about her, whether or not you reveal that she is actually dead as such.

Another point is that there is no necessity of them actually having that much of a relationship, as long as it is clear that he loved her intensely. If you can't think of a plausible way to have them 'get it on', then don't bother, an unattainable romance is every bit as good, particularly for making him feel crazy about her death. Actually, the very best would be if they just might have been together, but they were held back by some small thing, and then she died. That's the kind of thing that drives you nuts with the secondguessing and the might have beens.

Anyway, just a couple of cents worth.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Bardos
Member # 1260

- posted      Profile for Bardos   Email Bardos         Edit/Delete Post 
Another thing to consider is, if the Queen is married. Monarchs, usually, marry in an early age (to have heirs, etc, etc). So, if you want her not to be married, you must find a reason for it. That can be as simple as "she couldn't decide who was the right man", or as complicate as a lost love, phsycological problems about something, etc. But make sure you have a firm background for her --AND her Champion-- BEFORE their love affair. Their lives didn't start when they fell in love, right?

Give it a thought.

Posts: 80 | Registered: Sep 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Falken224
unregistered

I think that Survivor's on to something with the idea that there doesn't need to be much of a relationship. In fact, I would suggest that there may not need to be any relationship at all. Think about . . . I can't believe I'm about to make a Robert Jordan reference in a writing forum . . . Tallanvor in RJ's Wheel of Time series. (ACK! I DID IT! HELP!) Look at the whole 'love from afar' thing. Perhaps that would work, depending on the type of guy your knight REALLY is. In any case, unrequited love tends to be MUCH more potent than any actual relationship ever was . . . at least as far as motivating characters into a course of action. It all has to do with idealizing the object of his affection to the point where he believes she's perfect . . . then she dies. As opposed to if he actually HAS a relationship with her and discovers she's slightly flawed.

For that matter, look at Romeo and Juliet. That relationship didn't QUITE develop before it all went to hell, and while it's not DIRECTLY applicable (knight/queen) it illustrates my point.

Okay . . I'm getting incoherent and sloppy, but hopefully you get the point. If it's not what you want to write, then it's ultimately not what you want to write. But if you're ALREADY having a hard time describing their relationship . . . keep in mind that they don't necessarily have to have had one for him to have been hurt terribly by her death.

And that's the last of my two-cents worth.

[This message has been edited by Falken224 (edited March 20, 2002).]

uberslacker2
Member # 1397

- posted      Profile for uberslacker2   Email uberslacker2         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Survivor and Falken are right. In fact I may even go a step further and say that unless you have an explicit reason to make them actually have a serious relationship don't. Let him continue to think she's perfect, because in reality she won't be but he'll miss her a lot more(trust me I've had this problem in real life several times, :-D). Let them have little flirtations perhaps, and hidden glances and stuff, but not anything serious or official. They could even kiss or something right before she dies (a day or two) because it normally takes a while for someone to realize that their significan other isn't perfect.

BTW, this thread has been useful to me also. This is a discussion about writing.A discussion about how to make one character's death most effect another one. (It's helped because I'm sorta doing the same thing in my current story).

The Great Uberslacker

Posts: 70 | Registered: Mar 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
JOHN
Member # 1343

To a certain extent I agree with with those people who say it's not fair to hide things from the main characters POV from the reader, but these aren't things the main character wants to think about and not only I'm I hiding the fact the Queen has died from the reader but also The Champion is hiding this from his self. These flashbacks as I sadi a couple of months ago are told through dreams. My story I'm telling does not start with the Champion being knighted and a hero of the kingdom. The story I'm teling starts withthe former Champion in a tavern trying to solicit sexual services from a barmaid and failing miserably. By using these flashbacks I'm trying to show a contrst of who he is now and who he was then. I think this is done more efectly if the story opens with him being a looser.

I am manipulating the readers to certain extent. I want them to believe they're getting a fairly cliched by well characterized fantasy novel and then halfway though the book turn the tables on them. The knight would rather get trashed then slay dragons, the blonde haired blue eyed faiy princess dies and her former champion is blamed, and when all is revealed the actual female lead can only be imagined as resembling a black woman.

I want it to mean something when the Queen dies however. It's not something I'm doing for just shock value. Obviously, this event means something to the Champion so I need to make it mean something to the reader. Think of it this way...

What if Khalan died fairly early on in the Sword of Truth? or David Eddings' Queen Elana? or Katerina in Enchantment?

That's the emotional impact I'm looking for. Hopefully, ny writting is at least 1/8 as good as the athours I mentioned then I MIGHT have a chance of pulling it off.

JOHN!

Falken224
unregistered

I see where you're going with that! That could work. The one thing to keep in mind is that it's back-story! Yes, it's highly relevant back-story, but the story you're telling starts at the first chapter, regardless of flashbacks! So here's my advice.

Make the flashbacks match the intensity of the ACTUAL story. Don't have them be motivations for the action, use them as expositions OF his actions. Subtle, I know, but very important. If you use the flashbacks to explain why he's doing something that seems COMPLETELY irrational, or that seems to go against his character, it helps us to get the full impact of how drastically the events in the flasback are affecting him now.

And from what I can tell, you are already pretty much doing that, and seem to have a good handle on it. Just remember to tell the right story. As much as the Queen's death affects the story you're telling, it's not story, it's background. And the character ALWAYS HAS TO BE TRUE TO THAT BACKGROUND. But always remember, even though you might not reveal that the Queen dies, the character knows, and as much as he might be trying to forget it, he can't. But the reader doesn't have to know WHAT he's trying to forget, as long as we know that he IS trying to forget it. (We'll want to know eventually, but you can tell us in your own sweet time.)

Anyway . . . I don't think that came out quite as clearly as I intended, but there you go.

Survivor
Member # 213

I think that you are either going for the idea that despite his current condition, the protagonist is still--at heart--a hero, or else you are trying to illustrate that his heroism was a delusion of circumstance all along, and now that circumstances have turned against him, he is revealed as a fool.

Which of these you portray depends more on how much effort you put into demonstrating that the hero is still heroic despite his condition than on which you believe. If you don't create a believable personal history that demonstrably would lead even the bravest, most honorable, and best person into the sorry state your hero is depicted as occupying, then the audience will assume that the story is making the latter point.

Artistically, this is a point that can be made, but making it by default because you have not presented compelling justification for the actions of the protagonist will leave you with a weak story. And when I say compelling justification, I don't mean the sort of thing that any of us would tolerate as an excuse for ourselves, but what we would demand of someone better than ourselves.

You need to break this character in places that someone dying, even his beloved, would not even begin to touch. He needs to have, not only his personal emotional comfort or social position, but his very theological existence challanged. You need to take away his soul, break it over your knee, and cram the broken pieces down his throat.

Exactly how you do that is up to you. But the Queen's death won't do it unless he is personally and directly responsible, and known to be so. As an example, he might have an affair with her, which results in her being executed, and he has to fight his way out of the kingdom, killing many (perhaps all) of his former friends in the process. Of course, then you have to justify his actions in doing this in the first place, which seems difficult. Most of the time, setting someone up for a condition of theological oblivion (I realize that this term is novel, but all I mean is God forsaken, but not in the cliche sense, rather, someone that truly has been forsaken of their God) involves this kind of paradox of having them do something unambiguously worthy of Damnation (with a capital D) but justifying it as the sort of thing a hero (rather than a monster) would have done.

JOHN
Member # 1343

Sweet, more good suggestions and ideas that I've already had, which mean I'm on the right track. eah, the Champion is somewhAt resPonsible for the Queen's death. What I'm thinking is the Champion leads the army in battle defeating the opposing nation. While discusing the terms of surrender he tetatively befriends one of the high raking officals of the enemy army. He brings this guy back with him to help discuss the treaty which will be signed and during peace talks this guy who the Champion thought was trustworthy murders the Queen.

JOHN!

Survivor
Member # 213

That's good, and has the potential for a real development of hamartia. In retrospect, 'tis obvious that the guy was a snake, but our hero was too trusting, believed too strongly in the code of honor to see it. In fact, he actually blames his own sense of honor for blinding him to the danger.

His subsequent abandonment of the codes of chivalry makes sense as a response to such a tragedy.

JOHN
Member # 1343

Okay, here's the deal. I don't have or believe in writer's block. I have plenty of ideas and know exactly where my story is going. Last week was incredibly stressful so I didn't write anything and for the last week I've been trying to get back on track. The thing is I'm letting the blank page bully me. Everytime I go to work on my story with a head full of ideas my thoughts become jumbled and I get a mind numbing headache. Everything I've typed is shitty and it's starting to piss me off. I've tried several different things to help this problem including opening my notes file and just start jotting things down. I've tried working on a dream sequence which won't actaully be part of the story for several chapters and this is all I've managed to come up with in the last four days.

ARBITRARY DREAM SEQUENCE

John* knew exactly where he was even though the room was black expect for the small light given off by the lone candle in the far corner of the room. Without being able to see anything recognizable, John’s remaining senses told him exactly where he was. The distinct smell of the scented candle, the cool, soft feel of the bed sheets, and the crunching noise they made under his weight, all told him he was in Queen Bianca’s* bedchamber.
John wore only his trousers and lied peacefully in her bed on the verge of falling asleep. He wondered if it were possible to fall asleep in a dream. It was then John realized he was dreaming, but he hadn’t been so at peace for quite sometime and it would suite John just fine if he never woke up.
He was on the verge of getting an answer to his question whether or not one could fall asleep in dream as he started to doze off, but before he could the door opened. John turned to see who entered and was greeted by the silhouette of a female figure. She entered the room without saying a word, shutting the door behind her. John squinted to trying to make out the woman’s face, but the room was too dark and she was too far away. His efforts were made even more futile after she blew out the candle.
His thoughts confused and surprised him. Was he expecting anybody besides Bianca?
Still silent the woman laid her body on top of his; John felt her weight oddly arousing.
*No offense to anyone who post here but I've changed the characters' names being the paranoid writer that I am.

Yeah, I know it's more than a little lackluster. I not looking for story suggestions, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who has been stuck in such a funk. My question is what do you do to get out of this and get your shit back on track?

JOHN!

[This message has been edited by JOHN (edited April 11, 2002).]

SiliGurl
Member # 922

- posted      Profile for SiliGurl   Email SiliGurl         Edit/Delete Post 
--"I not looking for story suggestions, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who has been stuck in such a funk. My question is what do you do to get out of this and get your shit back on track?"--

I take a break. Pure and simple. It might be a break from writing period, and I'll start reading again or watch TV or play video games (the ones where you just shoot stuff and loot the corpses).

But I also find that taking a break from what I'm currently writing helps. Usually, some idea, or a fragment of a scene comes to me. I'll craft that scene, or what little bit I see. Recently, I was completely stumped. Knew where I had to go in my novel, but unclear-- or unmotivated-- as to how to get there. While racking my brain for somethiing-- anything-- to write, a snippet of a scene popped in. So I wrote it. One page of pretty darn good stuff for a prologue... of a completely different novel. I saved it, filed it, and all of a sudden my juices were flowing again. 2 hrs later I had the chapter I needed.

Oh, and as asinine as it might sound, try listening to something different while you write. I find music helps guide my juices. Somethings are too distracting, other things fit the mood just right. My current favorites are the Gladiator and LOTR soundtracks, with an occassional Enya thrown in there if I'm writing something that has little hard-core action.

[This message has been edited by SiliGurl (edited April 11, 2002).]

Posts: 306 | Registered: Feb 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
JeremyMc
Member # 1400

- posted      Profile for JeremyMc   Email JeremyMc         Edit/Delete Post 
John, I'm having one of those days myself.
One where you look back and say all you've written is crap.
Not exactly the same as your problem, but confidence gives way to insecurity. Thus the block.
A few ideas for you:
1. The structure may be holding you down. If the current conflict is unclear, try going back a ways and make sure you know what your character wants and what's blocking him from getting it. A story will always be hard to continue without a definite conflict.
2. Take a day off. Relax, rent a movie. Come back to the story tomorrow or next week.

Good luck

Posts: 54 | Registered: Mar 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
uberslacker2
Member # 1397

- posted      Profile for uberslacker2   Email uberslacker2         Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed, I agree with the other two. My favorite thing is to turn on some really hardcore rock music (rob zombie and the like) and blast that as long and loud as I can. Then I boot up a shooting game and just pound the crap out of everything in sight. Then I might even work out (which coming from me is just strange) something to do with endorphins or the like. But I really don't write anything. Then I lay down and read a book (currently that would be the Dark Tower series). Then maybe, just maybe, if I'm lucky enough, something comes to me and I can start writing. Usually it takes me a while to get into it but I find it's sorta like driving (something I'm just learning to do). It's a real pain to get the car moving (well sorta, you have to press the gas, I'm in a crappy car) but then once it's going you just barely have to press the gas to keep it going.

So 1)admit it sucks 2)admit you need a break 3)take the break 4)write scenes in your head (not sure how easy this really is) 5) go write them until your headache goes away.

The Great Uberslacker
BTW, I had a severe problem with this earlier this week. I'm not sure if I'm actually in the clear but what I did was edit the last story I was working on. I sort of renewed my direction. I've also been listening to rock all day. I might be able to do it.

GZ
Member # 1374

When I’ve got the “I can’t get anything down even though I know where I want to go” problem, I’ve got a few things that often work (Many of them which have already been mentioned – there indeed seems to be a common thread to this writing thing):

1. Write a different scene, something from later that is clear in my mind. That gets me back in the groove of writing again, and the next day I can get back to the point of the plot where I was working before. And it’s not like that scene is going to waste or anything (well, unless the whole plot changes drastically before you get to there, but my point is you can still feel like you are making progress.) Sometimes working on that future scene helps clarify where I’m going with the old scene I just couldn’t seem to continue with before.

2. Find some good theme music for the part you want to work on (which you may or may not be able to listen to while writing, depending on your need for quiet).

3. Go away from the computer and go read something else. I’ve found a few authors that, not only do I enjoy their stories, but love their use of language, and reveling in that for a while seems get me writing again.

4. Go away and do something else for a while – take a drive or something. I have a lot of vivid “that’s it” moments when driving.

If I’ve had a stressful week that has gotten me out of the writing habit, it takes a bit before the brain cells re-juice enough to get anything out without requiring a crowbar. Trying to write when you’re worn down mentally is just painful, if not impossible, at least for me.

The other thing I’ve notice is that when I do finally come out of a difficult period like that, I’m really with it, really motivate, really getting the words out – in general, a real flush of productivity. So maybe you too have something like that to look forward to.

GZ

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
GZ, there is no rule anywhere that says you have to write a story in the order in which it will be read, so go ahead and write whatever scene you feel like writing.

If you wait until you get that far in the story, you may have lost the excitement you felt when you first had the idea for the scene.

You can always throw it away (consider it an exercise) if it doesn't fit the story by the time you get to it in the story, or you may be able to rewrite it so it will fit.

No writing is ever wasted, and writer's block may actually be caused by trying to force yourself to write a part of the story that you don't care that much about while another part is just begging you to write it.

That said, I'd like to offer one of my favorite "block-busters." I find it very hard to read all the way through a how-to-write book any more because I start thinking about one of my stories as I'm reading, and I eventually put the book down and go write.

If you're having a hard time getting yourself to write, try reading a good how-to-write book (especially one you've read before--it's always good to go back and review these books anyway). Think about your story as you read, and I'll bet you're back to the keyboard before very long at all.

GZ
Member # 1374

“GZ, there is no rule anywhere that says you have to write a story in the order in which it will be read, so go ahead and write whatever scene you feel like writing.

If you wait until you get that far in the story, you may have lost the excitement you felt when you first had the idea for the scene.” -- Kathleen Dalton Woodbury

I know, I know, and I don’t always write in order even when things are flowing, although I should remember to jump around when needed more often. And I’m with you on keeping the excitement thing rolling. Write it while it's fresh, not when the idea has set around and gotten stale while you mope through something that isn’t as interesting – that just gets bad all the way around. I just tend to be a linear-minded and goal-driven sort of nut, which comments like the one I made in the post above illustrate.

GZ

[This message has been edited by GZ (edited April 12, 2002).]

JOHN
Member # 1343

For some reason not writing in order feels like cheating to me, but I did write that one dream sequence as bad as it was which doesn't take place for quite sometime. I think I'll go read Characters and Viewpoints maybe it'll help. Although, now that it's Friday and I have money in my wallet, gas in my car, food in my stomach and beer in the fridge my outlook on life is a little better so it may be easier to write.

JOHN!

Falken224
unregistered

I have to agree with you John . . . i've never been able to write out of order. The prollem is I don't really know what's happening with the characters, if I write a scene they really haven't gotten to yet.

Now that's not quite the same as shooting a film/video out of order, which I'm VERY familiar with. But the story's already there . . . you already KNOW what's going to happen, you already know how to direct everything and make the pieces fit together. Writing's just more dynamic than tha. One day, you think you know how the story'll go, the next, you discover it has to change, and even just a little bit can end up making a DRASTIC difference in the end.

Not that it doesn't work for some people, but I certainly couldn't.

sherisaid
Member # 1410

- posted      Profile for sherisaid   Email sherisaid         Edit/Delete Post 
I, too, have to write in order. If this is a serious block, you may have written something before that you can't live with. That happened to me in a novel I was co-writing with a friend. She threw a loop I just can't get around. It was an unecessary complication. I love her writing, but this was just one step too far, and unless I change it, I can't go on.

Read back, and see if you've painted yourself into a corner.

Posts: 28 | Registered: Apr 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
uberslacker2
Member # 1397

most of the time I write in order. Occasionally though I get writers block and can't write a scene. I reach a point where I just want to break the keyboard over my head. That's usually when skip that little scene. I don't exactly move to another one but I glaze over it. In the ms I just put, " yadda yadda happens and so and so dies" and then I move on. then I write the scene after that. By that time I've got my juices flowing again and I can go back belt out the whole scene and then move on with the story. Just so long as I know what happens. If I can't get the scene right that's ok if I know what happens by the end of it.

The Great Uberslacker

JOHN
Member # 1343

OOPS.

JOHN!

[This message has been edited by JOHN (edited May 22, 2002).]

JOHN
Member # 1343

I’m working on my story and I’ve come up on the sex scene—sort of. It kinda stops before it starts. Maybe I’ve read too many Penthouse letters (interesting side note: I was looking through the Writer’s Market and do you know Penthouse actually solicits those letters as fiction. I mean I always knew they were fake but I always thought it was like pro wrestling used to be were everyone just sort of played along.)

Anyway, maybe I read too many Penthouse letters, but the only adjectives I can think of to describe a woman’s breasts and not sound clinical are firm and supple. Of course it’s a fantasy story, and the female character undoes her bodice. Dear Christ, my story it starting to sound like something you would buy at the grocery store with Fabio on the cover. Next think you know I’ll be writing about heaving bosoms and throbbing manhood. I don’t want to be lurid and gratuitous about the whole thing and there is something to be said about “less is more,” but I think I can be sensual and subtle at the same time without disappointing the preadolescent male that lives within all of us. Any suggestions?

JOHN!

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Somehow I suspect that the preadolescent male that lives within whomever reads your story can imagine things just fine without a lot of description.

Less really is more.

I'd recommend that you say that she undid her bodice, and then describe the reaction of the person who sees what she reveals, instead of describing what is revealed.

You know, "she pulled apart the lacing, and as her bodice opened up, he froze. He couldn't stop looking, even though he knew his face was turning red, and at any moment she might glance up and laugh at him..." or somesuch.

That way, the reader can imagine more than anyone could ever adequately describe.

It's how I'd do it, anyway.

You have to find the way that works for what you're trying to accomplish.

You could do what OSC did when he was working on the beginning of ENDER'S SHADOW--see Uncle Orson's Writing Class when he talks about beginnings--he tried several different things until he had what he wanted.

Start out with the most lurid, purple, overly adjectivized (is that a word?) description you can think of.

Then swing the pendulum all the way to the other side and write the most clinical description you can manage.

Then try some descriptions in between. You ought to find the one that you like the best somewhere in there.

JOHN
Member # 1343

Thank you for the advice. I think I've worked it out. If my uneasiness about the scene returns I will use your suggestion of writing the scene from both ends of the spectrum. Although, it would be difficult to knowingly write something bad even if it never sees the light of day.

The scence was made even more difficult as I'm kinda messing with the audience giving them what the want, and pandering to the cliches, getting them attached to both characters (not that my use of cliches is meant to be a substitute for characterization) then the female character dies as I've mentioned before.

This idea was inadvertently given validation when I recently went to the movies. At the end of the moive, which will remain nameless so not to ruin if for others, the male and female lead didn't start a romantic relationship as the cliche would dictate. As the credits rolled the lady behind me become verbally upset saying how stupid the ending was. Me and my other writer friend were laughing to ourselves. The movie ended both ambigously and realistically and it was more than this lady's feeble mind could handle. It was actually rather infuriating. I want people to think they know what is going to happne next and then just come out of leftfield. Especially morons like the ignorant moviegoer.

Again, thanks for the advice. My next step was to go to a strip club and write it off on my taxes as a buisness expense.

JOHN!

Falken224
unregistered

AAACK!

Now I'm dying of curiosity . . .

Can you give me hints . . . Old or New, Genre? Maybe even go so far as to reveal the names of an actor or two?

Sounds like an interesting movie. I like ones that dare to break out of the cliches.

And incidentally, I'm glad you worked out your story problem.

-Nate

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

MY BEST FRIEND'S WEDDING?
JOHN
Member # 1343

Since it seems everyone wants to know and the movie already grossed well over $200 million I assume most people have seen it. If you haven't guessed it was Spider-Man. Granted comic geeks (such as myself) know MJ and Peter eventually hook up but this lady didn't seem comic savy. I thought it was great ending and fit really well with the characters life---everything sucked.

Glad I can end the suspense, and sorry to dissapoint those expecting something more highbrow (not that My Best Friend's Wedding would fit into that category. If it's Julia Roberts you want check out Notting Hill (yeah, it they get together but the movie's dialogue was so understated and subtle I didn't mind.) I fell in love with Anna Scott.)

JOHN!

Falken224
unregistered

Kathleen - That's the movie that popped into my head first. Just didn't seem to fit, 'cause I never really DID want her to end up 'getting the guy'.

Now I REALLY have to see spidey in action! And I agree about Notting Hill. In fact, I would venture to say that almost every Julia Roberts romantic comedy made in the last decade is worth seeing. Okay . . . Runaway Bride was pushing it a bit, but it was unique enough I thought it worked.

And I'll recomment America's Sweethearts too. Though pay attention to the rating. It's not the 'nicest' film but it's funny as heck and it's prolly the most truthful-feeling cliche out there. :-)

Thankee much John.

Doc Brown
Member # 1118

- posted      Profile for Doc Brown   Email Doc Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
CHAD: PLEASE DO NOT READ THIS POST! It reveals something about my novel which you will be critiquing two cycles from now!

Kathleen,

Thanks for your "less is more" post above. My story is approaching a similar point, and I've been very worried about it. I'm setting up (unique, I hope) variation on the Blue Lagoon scenario in which two healthy, young people of the opposite sex are accidentally marooned together for a long time.

Both will be ongoing characters, and the fact that they were marooned together will shape the rest of their lives. It's very critical to my story. But there is no way I can depict their adventure together without including some sex scenes.

I believe the scenario I have created will be tantalizing enough, even for the most over-hormoned teenage reader. No need to make it pornographic. But to understand the long-term emotional effects on the characters, the reader needs to experience what the characters experience. I could not figure out how to do that without getting pretty hard core.

I'm still concerned, but your advice has reduced my trepidations. Thanks again!

Posts: 976 | Registered: May 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
JOHN
Member # 1343

The preadolescent male who lives within all of us aside, I think the readers are expecting some sort of pay off. I know when I read a book and I want two characters to get together and there’s actually some tension there were you’re not sure whether or not they’re gonna get it on, when the time comes they finally “scrump” and the sex scene is glossed over it’s kind of disappointing. I’m not asking for lurid details, but there needs to be some sort of climax (no pun intended). You want your readers to experience everything the characters experience. How can you ask the audience to follow these characters through all their trIals and tribulations and even the more mundane experiences in their lives, but when it comes to something good they shut the door on you and put up the “DO NOT DISTURB” sign. The secret is being sensual without being pornographic. If you give too little it makes you look like amateurish and prudish like you’re scared to talk about sex. If you go too far the other way it will make you look immature and like a preadolescent male yourself. I’m going to try and word this as politely as I can. When I write a sex scene, I want my audience to be aroused, but at the same time I want them to see why I put it there. “Man, this guy’s an asshole.” Or “This girl’s a slut.” Or “I wish I could find a woman like that.” Then I want them to say “Man, my jeans just got a lot tighter.” (you know if you’re a dude. I couldn’t do the female equivalent without being much crasser.)

This may sound weird, but when a noble character dies don’t you want the readers to be sad? When the villain does something dastardly don’t you want the reader to be angry? To me it’s all the same. One of the reasons I write is to get a emotional reaction out of people.

JOHN!

[This message has been edited by JOHN (edited May 23, 2002).]

Survivor
Member # 213

There is more of a problem when for one reason or another you don't want the reader to be aroused (sexually, anyways) by a critical scene that involves sex (rape, for instance). Actually, if my character had a "sex" scene with another person, then I probably would draw the curtain, just because I don't think that he (or her either) would want anyone else peeking in on his love life (that's a trite way to put it, but sex is something that follows commitment, not something that precedes it, in my never to be humble opinion).

I have written sexually...oriented material, and on one occasion started to write something having to do with an army of evil and so forth, that was to involve some pretty deviant stuff, which I decided not to write after all, (because it was really devient but even without being explicit it was also really pornographic--basically a big S&M orgy to get our evil guys in the mood, which is as far as I would like to go in print).

Hey, I'm not in favor of making the main character a sex object, since that really does tend to lessen our regard for him (and his woman) as persons. There are legitimate reasons for sex to be depicted (and that evil army thing I was talking about was one of them, but I still don't feel comfortable writing it), but you have to realize that usually you only want to show bad characters as being motivated by sex...so it should only be bad guys that have sex on the page (you know what I mean ).

Good guys, or people that we are supposed to care about, shouldn't be depicted in any way that will make it less likely that the audience will see them as truly sympathetic characters. And it can be hard to be genuinely sympathetic to someone that you've gotten a voyeristic *bang* out of.

*bang* the bad guys all you want, though (well, have a little taste, there may be children reading this stuff--school kids, if you're a good enough writer).

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

John, I don't think you're disagreeing with me. The emotional experience of the characters is what I was talking about you describing. You did ask for ways to avoid cliches, didn't you? Descriptions of the flesh and the mechanics and so on tend to be cliched, but descriptions of how the person feels and what the person is thinking can be and usually are much more interesting because they are more individual and personal--and then the sex scene contributes to character development instead of reader titillation.
JOHN
Member # 1343

You're correct Kathleen I wasn't disagreeing with you. I was simply elaborating on the your suggestion. Describing the physical aspect of the scene and also how it relates the characters. Part of my problem was the protagonist has been in love with this woman since he laid eyes on her and she was the Queen nonetheless was made what was happening even more unbelievable. So, I wanted them to see a little of what he saw and then see that he was blown away. Basically I was drawing on an experience from my own life. I was incredibly attracted to this woman and use to fantasize about her contantly, but being my best friend's girlfriend she was unotainable and I was left with nothing but my fantasies. (Hey, I didn't say that either of us were as noble as the characters I'm writing.) My best friend and this girl eventually broke up and a few weeks later one thing led to another between me and her. While it was one of the shitiest things I've ever done, it was a very intense and unforgetable.I share this sordid tale only to give you an idea of what I was trying to convey. A fantasy thought of as unobtainable for months or years coming to reality is exhilarating and not be crass beyond just ordinarily horny. I wanted all these things to come across in my story. The made up culture of my story is Germanic and very religious, so premarital sex is a definite no-no especially with the Queen. They both know they’re doing something wrong but this and their love for one another kind feeds the fire. I want to convey all these things to the reader.

As far as a sex scene where you don’t want your readers to be aroused such a rape scene. Think about it. I’d give a little detail here, so the reader is aroused by the nudity and sex in the scene and recognizes those base desires (sexual desires not a desire to rape) in themselves and then are even more disgusted by the horrible actions of these men.

Sorry to be so long winded.

JOHN!

Doc Brown
Member # 1118

- posted      Profile for Doc Brown   Email Doc Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, John, I think it depends on POV. Generally if the POV character is being raped, arousal is not the feeling you want to convey. If the POV character is the rapist, there still might be more important things for the character to be experiencing, but you could choose to include arousal. If the POV character is witnessing a rape . . . that could go all sorts of directions.

[This message has been edited by Doc Brown (edited May 24, 2002).]

Posts: 976 | Registered: May 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
JOHN
Member # 1343

I’m not saying the character being raped should be aroused, but it might be appropriate to give some fairly graphic details about what’s happening to her. Describe the way the rapist is roughly pawing her breasts, and how he’s manhandling her most private of areas, the whole time the woman is crying screaming for help doing anything which will help her escape. I’m speaking from a male point of view and men really are simple creatures. Words and phrases such as breasts and the most private of areas invoke an immediate reaction regardless of the context. A readers arousal at these words will make them feel almost as if the participated in this despicable, unforgivable act and make them sympathize with the woman that much more. You don’t even necessarily have to switch POV. As far as women readers they would put themselves in the place of this woman and be anything but aroused but feel just as badly for her, imagining such a thing happening to them, especially with the details given. I don’t want people to misunderstand what I mean by aroused. I’m not trying to say that the reader should be so turned on that they throw away their Playboys and start using your story instead. I mean their first gut reaction is minor arousal. I must state that this theory can only be carried so far. If a character is molested as a child I don’t think there are many people who would want this scene described in any detail and the character feeling should be enough.

JOHN!

JOHN
Member # 1343

Okay, I know everyone thought this topic was long dead, but I need hlep again. I have a nation that is the center of religion for my the world of my fantasy story---kinda like the Vatican. Of course while the rest of the suorrounding countries are ruled by monarchs this kingdom is ruled by the head of the religion---the Church. My problem is I'm having a difficult time coming up with a title for this guy. It's an obviouls allusion to the Pope, but it's an allusion nonetheless and I don't want to use the word pope. As it stands I have the Prime Minsiter (which I know his horrible, but it's better than _________________) I was thinking of capitializing a common word, vicar. This head of nation would be the Vicar, hoping the "V" would give him some distiction and no other clergy would be referred to as a vicar, but that also comes off sort of lame. I'd appreciated any suggestions especially from those who know more about Catholicism than I do.

Thanks

JOHN!

Gorditio
Member # 1451

- posted      Profile for Gorditio   Email Gorditio         Edit/Delete Post 
I would be careful when throwing around names, and that just because they sound high and mighty doesn't mean they are OSC said something to this effect in 'How To Write Science Fiction and Fantasy', and although he was speaking about the usage of foreign languages I think the same principle can be applied here.

I quote:
If you are using a known foreign langauge, by the way, take the time and effort to get it right. Among your readers there will always be someone who speaks that language like a native. If you get it wrong, those readers lose faith in you - and rightly so. Whenever you can be truthful, you should be truthful; if your readers can see that you're acting by that credo, they'll trust you, and you'll deserve their truth. But if they catch you faking it, and doing it so carelessly that you can easily be caught, they'll figure that if the story wasn't worth much effort to you, it shouldn't be worth much to them, either. They may still like the story, but you have blunted the edge of their passion.

Endquote

Phew, so much to say so little. But the point is that there will be people who read your story, should it go to print, that know a Vicar is, in the Episcopalian Church and the Church of England, simply a priest. And in the Roman Catholic language a Vicar is a priest acting in absentia for a higher ranking member of the clergy - an rather unlikely candidate for stewardship of a kingdom, no?

What you could consider doing is diving into a thesaurus and pulling all of the apropriate titles out of Religious Leader section. Once you have those, try translating them into other languages - while they'll mean the same, your general audience won't know the difference (of course, the different language is only appropriate if that kingdom were culturally influenced by people who spoke the language). Also, try going back into the Latin roots of things. For instance, 'Pope' in Latin (as well as Spanish, Portuguese and anything with Latin roots) is Papa, and in Greek it's Pappa. Cardinal is Cardinalis and the latin root means 'Principle or primary' - certainly a word that would befit a King.

Anyway, I see I've managed to muddle and contradict myself a few times, so I hope I don't leave you TOO terribly confused. Just dive on in to the semantics and I'm sure you'll come up with something.

Posts: 18 | Registered: Jul 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Chronicles_of_Empire
Member # 1431

- posted      Profile for Chronicles_of_Empire   Email Chronicles_of_Empire         Edit/Delete Post 

Come on, John! Do some RESEARCH!

If you want to write about religion that at least spend a little time researching those you'd like to base it on.

If you want to base it on the Roman CAtholic Church, then visit here and link through to the CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPAEDIA:

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/

Posts: 286 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Pontiff is a fairly good word. Ecclesiarch, or Thearch might work as well. I am presuming that you don't actually want to write about the Catholic Church, but rather a religious organization that is similar in having control of its own state. You might try Brahmahan or Baal'atar or something if you want to make it clear that the religion is only similar to Catholicism in having its own city-state.

Heirophant or Heirarch are old greek words, or you could dust off some of the old Egytian words. Or just make something up completely, like Reoshanite or Torha'al.

SiliGurl
Member # 922

- posted      Profile for SiliGurl   Email SiliGurl         Edit/Delete Post 
If you use a real word-- like Pope or Vicar or Cardinal-- you bring baggage to the table. Your readers are going to have predefined notions of what those words mean. Everyone before me has established that.

I like the suggestion (sorry, I didn't catch the poster's name!) of looking at ancient languages for a similar word (only in so far as it will have meaning for you and be far easier for your "internal" usage). THEN you could always steal my trick-- I take a foreign word which feels/sounds right and then change the first letter (or a combination thereof). Poof! Now you instantly have your own, unique word. (I actually do this trick to come up with character names; ha ha ha, but foreign last names with the first syllables dropped often make great fantasy character names.)

Good luck...

Posts: 306 | Registered: Feb 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Chronicles_of_Empire
Member # 1431

- posted      Profile for Chronicles_of_Empire   Email Chronicles_of_Empire         Edit/Delete Post 

Hey, Siligurl - that's one of my tricks, too!

John - if you really want a name, perhaps consider first what sort of religious culture your world has, and the theology involved, and see what matches best in the real world by doing some research. That way you can narrow down specific areas.

But do ensure you have at least some understanding of any real-world terms you use. For example, Vicar is a specific denominational term.

[This message has been edited by Chronicles_of_Empire (edited July 23, 2002).]

Posts: 286 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.