Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Help---please! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Help---please!
JOHN
Member # 1343

- posted      Profile for JOHN           Edit/Delete Post 
One of my problems with a lot of fantasy stories I read is if you’ve never read fantasy before it can be very confusing. All the sudden you hit with all these strange names and unpronounceable cities and kingdoms. I want to bring a sense of familiarity to my novel so even the casual reader can enjoy it. I also have several cultures based on real ancient cultures. The capital is Germanic, I have Vikings, Greeks, and than the religious headquarters is Roman. I want the name to be familiar without bringing the aforementioned baggage to the table. Vicar was a simple word that I thought MIGHT work, but in the end I hated it, but I like a lot the suggestions given. No, I’m not writing about the Catholic church but something similar to it. Thanks for the help.

I like Pontiff and I also ran across Prelate, and at one time was considering using the Confessor because of the ominous tone to it. The problem with the later two is they are words used by to other fantasy writers (Eddings and Goodkind) and I really don’t want to step on toes or seem like I’m ripping these people off. I know these are fairly common words, but it could bother ME nonetheless. I’m still thinking about it and I’m actually researching other options.

JOHN!

[This message has been edited by JOHN (edited July 23, 2002).]

Posts: 401 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
PaganQuaker
Member # 1205

- posted      Profile for PaganQuaker   Email PaganQuaker         Edit/Delete Post 
This suggests Orthodox rather than Catholic, but there's always the Hierarch. Also you could use Cardinal (as in the cardinals and The Cardinal) or a term that is a biblical metaphor, e.g. The Rock (admittedly that has the wrong tone).

Luc

Posts: 380 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Gorditio
Member # 1451

- posted      Profile for Gorditio   Email Gorditio         Edit/Delete Post 
I would just make up my own religion at this point. I'm aware catholicism has done it's evil deeds in the past and all, but are the really critical to the structure of your story? Couldn't you just as easily build your own mysterious cult and insert them? There were many more religious states other than the Roman Catholic 'empire'.
Posts: 18 | Registered: Jul 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Chronicles_of_Empire
Member # 1431

- posted      Profile for Chronicles_of_Empire   Email Chronicles_of_Empire         Edit/Delete Post 

Forget what other writers have done - if Prelate or Confessor work for you, then use them/it.

Posts: 286 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
JOHN
Member # 1343

- posted      Profile for JOHN           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Chronicles thanks for that website I think it will prove helpful I tried to use some of the other ones you posted on medieval culture and maybe I'm slow but they were well no offense sort of useless. This one is helpful, though. I also now remember why I thinking about using Vicat. The Pope is sometimes called the Vicar of Christ and I thoughtI could play on that, but wasn't aware that vicar is such a commonly used word being Protestant.

Thanks again; I can't believe you actaully got me doing research. Im going to have to take a "Crying Game" shower now.

JOHN!

Posts: 401 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.