Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Intelligence vs. Whatever's Not

Author Topic: Intelligence vs. Whatever's Not
Studebach
Member # 1404

- posted      Profile for Studebach   Email Studebach         Edit/Delete Post 
Being new and all, I'm sure this question has been answered a million times, yet I ask anyway.
How does one, say a writer, create a character who is, in fact, smarter than the writer himself, such as a bounty hunter?
For example, when I read Ender's Shadow, Bean came up with some, to me, off-the-wall ideas that I don't believe I could ever come up with. so, there it is.

Posts: 17 | Registered: Mar 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
GZ
Member # 1374

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
I think there are a few ways in which it sort of works out that a writer can do that:

Research. Knowledge of key facts make you seem smart, even if you really aren’t an expert. As long as everything presented is consistent, the reader is free to fill in the rest of the details at as high a level as appropriate. Sort of an illusion of intelligence – if he knows that, surely he knows X, Y, and Z.

Not getting too bogged down in details, yet still doing something clever. I think OSC’s Xenocide can be used to illustrate this. I doubt OSC is an expert in the molecular biology of alien species, but his characters are. So he has them work towards goals requiring intelligence, but we don’t see each step in detail, just the end result, which could only be achieved if they are intelligent.

Having characters do the things that you as a writer think intelligent people will do. And that sort of boils down to world observations, personal opinion, and more than a small touch of creativity (A sort of intelligence all of it’s own). I think one of OSC’s writing books talks about this, how you will write about a clever character will reflect what you think is clever.

In a way, it’s like writing about anybody that isn’t you. You have to imagine what it would be like to see the world through their eyes, with their particular baggage of gifts and flaws.

Posts: 652 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

- posted      Profile for Doc Brown   Email Doc Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
I think GZ is onto something.

You don't actually need to make a character intelligent. What you really have to do is figure out what behavior your reader will percieve as inteligent and build it into your character.

Depict him/her beating a computer at chess. Show that he/she is well versed in arcane knowledge like relativity or genetics.

You can have your character outsmart the reader (like Sherlock Holmes) but this is risky. Unless you give the reader all the same facts that the character had to work with, the reader will feel cheated. And it is tough to give the reader the same facts if the reader does not live in the same world as the character.

Posts: 976 | Registered: May 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Bardos
Member # 1260

- posted      Profile for Bardos   Email Bardos         Edit/Delete Post 
Let's say you have a world with 5 secret things (these can be whatever, a hidden city, a secret knoweledge about a tree, etc). You, the writer, know EVERYTHING about your world. Your characters, thought, do not.

So, if a character knows 2 of the 6 secrets you can say he is well learned. If the character figures out one of those thing by himself, then he is intelligent. If he can't, he is less intelligent. If he doesn't understand basic things about the world he lives on, he is stupid. The way the reader will percieve the character would be by what he can figure out about the story or the world.

The key is that you know everything; your characters know/can figure out things according to their intelligence. It's actually an "illusion" of intelligence as GZ said, but that's the way it works.

Interesting topic, btw!

Posts: 80 | Registered: Sep 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
A couple of things that writers have going for them to help create characters who appear especially intelligent:

1--time--you have time as the writer to come up with all the great comebacks that you as a person never manage to think about until it's way too late. Your character will look much smarter than you because your character will come up with them right when they are needed.

2--time, again--OSC has said over and over again not to use the first idea that comes to you (or the second) because they are almost always cliches (and if not, they are the most likely ideas and other people will have thought of them first, too). Keep thinking and come up with the third or fourth or fifth idea and let your characters think of them first (as OSC does with Bean).

The more thought you give to the things your characters do and why they do them, the smarter you will be able to make them look because they won't need to give as much thought to those things--they'll look smart because they'll think of them very quickly.

Time is truly the author's friend in this.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Time...and resourses.

You (as a member of this forum, among otherthing) have access to a lot of people with different kinds of experience, knowledge, and even intellegence. And you have the ability to put your character on hold when a particularly knotty situation comes up in your story and ask a number of people how to solve this problem. I can guarantee that for any problem you submit to this forum, someone here will come up with a solution that will be better than what the average reader might have thought up as a possible solution.

In the end, it becomes your task as a writer to judge which solution best meets the needs of the character, and convince the reader that the character is actually thinking it up. It is frequently this last requirement that is the most difficult when dealing with a character more intellegent than you are. For instance, if I have a character employ a brilliant endgame in a game of chess, I have to at least touch on the thought process that allows the character to think it up, which means that I have to display a grasp of chess strategy at least as good as that of my intended audience.

I actually don't know for sure how OSC came up with the strategies employed in Ender's Game, but the fact is that the overall command philosophy Ender employs seems highly suggestive of the qualities of a special operations unit, emphasizing tactical flexability, use of assymetric forces, concentrated indirection, discretionary orders and active encouragement of independence in subordinates. I think that maybe OSC just got lucky though a general dislike of the spit and polish, SNAFU, hurry up and wait mentality that generally characterizes traditional European military organizations. But he could have arrived at a similar result by taking expert advice, then reverse engineering the underlying mental abstractions and putting them into Ender's head.

In the end, no matter what advice you solicite, KDW is right. You are the one that must thoughtfully decide what your characters do, and come up with the reasoning that they employ to arrive at their decisions. Ultimately your characters can be made to reason faster than you can, but they cannot be made to reason better. Coming up with a foolish, counterproductive, unrealistic solution quickly is no mark of great intellect. So make sure that you get it right, before you write it down (okay, before you submit for publication, I was just trying to be witty).

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Studebach
Member # 1404

I just want to thank all who responded to my question, and quickly at that. I've been away too long. I guess I expected it to take awhile to get a response. Too used to the usenet response time. Anyway, thanks to all:GZ. Doc Brown, KDW, and Survivor.
Chronicles_of_Empire
Member # 1431

- posted      Profile for Chronicles_of_Empire   Email Chronicles_of_Empire         Edit/Delete Post 

If you're lucky, your character will write itself. Believe it or not they can sometimes come out with entire philosophical treatise without you having a clue what's happening, other than you're furiously copying down a series of words in your head. Rare, but it does occur.

Other times characters may be able to come out with a sentence here or there, and you've no idea where those words came from.

Something I will *always* recommend any creative person to do is to value errors - and I don't mean simply for the obvious learning experience. I mean because sometimes an apparently wrong sentence, a wrong note, a wrong shade of colour, can actually have real significance. It's about realising that sometimes, just sometimes, your subconscious is momentarily able to drag up something from that huge resource of memory that your conscious mind reagrds as superfluous or innaccessible.

If ever you "appear" to make a mistake when writing, step back a moment and look at it closely. Was it really a mistake? Or was your subconscious trying to tell you something?

I once read Frederick Forsyth quoted as saying that a writer should feel more like a secretary. When you've begun to note where your subconscious is kicking in, you'll know exactly what I mean.

Posts: 286 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Chronicles_of_Empire
Member # 1431

- posted      Profile for Chronicles_of_Empire   Email Chronicles_of_Empire         Edit/Delete Post 

Even when it happens, it can still surprise. Here's a good example from today:

In my current work, I have a futuristic order of simple robed "knights" who use a "lightstave". I wanted them to have acrobatic abilities, so I figured it would require an eastern-style meditative state, as like martial arts require. Without thinking, I coined this as "Kalaki". Wasn't sure if it sounded eastern enough, so considered changing the name to "Kalachi", as "chi" is obviously an oriental concept - but wasn't sure if that looked right.

That's an example of the subconscious [or whatever it is] versus the conscious.

I looked up "Kalaki" on Google just now, to check for hidden meanings. Here's a direct link that completely gobsmacked me:

http://www.dan.swidnik.com.pl/ang/akalaki.htm

How the living **** did my subconscious do that?! I have never even heard of Kalaki!!!

Tomorrow this will seem normal. God, I love this job.

Doc Brown
Member # 1118

You're welcome, Studebach.

BTW, do you happen to be a President, a Commander, or a Dictator?

Perhaps a Lark, Golden Hawk, or Avanti?

I presume that you are not a Weasel.

Chronicles_of_Empire
Member # 1431

Just in case it's of any help...

A more practical way, perhaps, to get that realistic character depth, would be to try to read work by someone in that profession.

For example, if looking to create a bounty hunter character, then why not read something - possibly an autobio or two, or at the very least a few articles - from one or two real-life bounty hunters. Also consider mercenaries as an additional point for research [depending upon the world and function of your bounty hunter]. Everyone has their idiosyncrasies - real world research could add that extra depth and realism to such targeted characters, especially in dialogue. It would also give you a better idea of how a skilled professional in that field works.

Studebach
Member # 1404

What's up, Doc?

What do you mean by that statement?

Must have a hidden meaning.

Studebach
Member # 1404

Sorry, Doc. Had never really associated my name with the vehicles. But if I had to pick one, it'd probably be the Big George.

I've never really given much thought to how I came up with the name and I can't really remember when I did. I've always liked the name Stu. I just now looked up Stude on google and found it to be a large concert hall. I play piano and have always wanted to play for a large number of people, although I'm not that great at it. And I am also a fan of J. S. Bach. Go figure. Could be a subconscious combination of all of that.

Doc Brown
Member # 1118

"The Big George?"

He's a customizer. I guess that's cool, but I think Dictator is cooler.

I am utterly amazed that you came up with your name knowing nothing about America's longest-lasting producer of automobiles, Studebaker.

BTW in my current story I have a character that is an expert in a field of science that I made up myself. It's easy to portray her as a genius when I control all the rules!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.