Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Word Count & book length (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Word Count & book length
Ergoface
Member # 1429

- posted      Profile for Ergoface   Email Ergoface         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a question about how word count translates into book length. I am currently working on a novel and am at somewhere around 70 to 80 thousand words. I have no idea how that translates into say typical paperback pages. I know font and stuff can make quite a bit of difference, but I just need a handle. I figure I'm roughly one third of the way through the story I'm trying to tell and need to know if I'm going to be getting into multiple volumes or what.
Any help appreciated.

Dave

Posts: 77 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
uberslacker2
Member # 1397

- posted      Profile for uberslacker2   Email uberslacker2         Edit/Delete Post 
I usually use the figure of 300-350 words per page to figure out word length (or if you are in times new roman size 12 just multiply by 2)

Uberslacker

Posts: 70 | Registered: Mar 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
I always fail to see why people are so concerned with "book length". When you look for a publisher, or agent, or your agent does, they will be concerned with word length---not page number.

Take a look at "The Writer's Market" at your local Library, look at the publisher’s section and see what word length they are looking for.

Pick up a book in you genre and average the words per page to see how many pages what you have will fill.

It remains though that rarely does a "break out" "first book" have more than 120,000 words. The average and preferred length is between 70,000 and 90,000 words. At 90,000 words you will have about 310 manuscript pages, using standard 1 inch margins, 12 pt Times New Roman and a header on each page---(slug line with title, your name, and page number in it). Though I am coming across those agents that want courier 12pt, larger, and makes the page count jump and the postage.

I checked and the book I just finished reading had an average of 285 words per page. A long book may use a smaller font, a short book larger---so a judgment of pages seems to be more of a writer thing---a I have written X number of book pages.

My advice, learn to keep track by word count, which is how you will have to think once you reach the selling stage.

Good Luck,
Shawn

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
JK
Member # 654

- posted      Profile for JK   Email JK         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It remains though that rarely does a "break out" "first book" have more than 120,000 words.
Very true, of course, but this is perhaps because most authors don't have a longer story first time. I've certainly not met anyone who has written a long saga first time.
Ergoface (interesting name there, my friend), I would recommend that you just sit down and tell your story. Once you get to the end, then you can go back and count words. If you start counting in the middle, it'll distract you from the story itself, which is the only thing really worth thinking about. Even if you do end up with a 150,000 word first novel, publishers will still accept it if it's good enough.
JK

Posts: 503 | Registered: Sep 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Ergoface
Member # 1429

Thanks for the replies, one and all. I have had this story in my head for over two years now and I've been actively working on it for a good portion of the time. In the past I didn't finish stuff and was annoyed by my sloth, therefore this time I will finish!

If it is ever published is almost irrelevant at this point. The people I've had look at it thus far have said it was pretty good, so it might even get published, but my primary objective now is to just get it done. The only sticking point is that I really am no more than half done and I'm already at 80,000 words, and I might only be 1/3 of the way done.

Another related question. How to count words. Computers have changed this. MS-Word gives me both word and character counts. I was told the many publishers still use the character count and divide by five rule rather than the actual count. Does anyone know which is more common?

Thanks

Dave

srhowen
Member # 462

JK, my first book is 325,000 words long. One of the things that agents talk about and editors is that first time authors need to cut cut cut, why? Because their books are too log. Even King in his On Writing says second draft= first draft - 10%.

It costs more to publish a longer book as well, so publishers are less willing to take a chance on a huge long book the first time around.

I know we've gone the "rule" route many times.

If you feel that your book is over long then look where you can cut it without cutting the story.

BUT above all else write the story you have to tell. The proof of what sells is out there, but then the "rules" can always be broken, just make sure you know what they are before you decide to step outside them.

Copy editors I am sure use the by five rule to determine space. When you send a submission in (a query letter) they want to know word count. Use your writing programs word count and say something like, 91,000 words by MS word or whatever.

NO one is going to be so nit picky that they will point and say HAH! I counted and got 91,001 words so I reject you.

Good Luck,
Shawn

JOHN
Member # 1343

- posted      Profile for JOHN           Edit/Delete Post 
I like to know how many pages I have just because I'm pretentious (just to prove how pretentious I am I made a comment to one of my writer friends talking about the difficulty I was haveing coming up with a title for my novel. I asked if it was possible to publish a unnamed book, making a comment like, "I really think a title would take away from my story."_)and I want to know what my book will look like when it's printed. I know it doesn't matter when way or another but I'm curious.

JOHN!

Posts: 401 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
SiliGurl
Member # 922

- posted      Profile for SiliGurl   Email SiliGurl         Edit/Delete Post 
I understand what you mean... I don't think it's pretentious at all... I feel the same way, although for me, it's all chalked up to a feeling of accomplishment. "Wow, lookee!! I've done 200 pages!!" That kind of thing.

It also goes along with my feeling of trepidation. By Chapter 16, I've got about 60,000 words under my belt and am just NOW entering the "middle" of my book....

*sigh*

Posts: 306 | Registered: Feb 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
MrWhipple
Member # 1436

- posted      Profile for MrWhipple           Edit/Delete Post 
Remember that your first market is an editor and / or agent. Even if they are are all realy nuts and don't know what will sell, you are stuck with them. They are the gatekeepers. If you don't sell them what they want, you may as well scrape up the $3,000 to $10,000 to self publish. How much faith do you have that YOU can sell a book bigger than the unabridged door to door to bookshops?
Posts: 33 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

I used to feel that way---I had to know how many pages, now maybe I have become a snob and bitch about the number of words per chapter and per book. I am on my 5th novel, each getting shorter as I learned to say the same thing in more effective ways using less but more effective words. I've learned to keep out the repeat of info---I've learned to see the repeat where I didn't think I was repeating before and so on--

I have also seen something else, it goes like this--

My first book 325,000 words---sent out 60 some queries---Two requests for the manuscript. One from a publisher and one from an agent. The publisher, editor, was nice enough to write me a very long letter, (someone from DAW). He said I had a gift for story telling, but that my text was overblown and over full, it was bloated. The book was written form all knowing and he suggested I re-write it in third or first person ---- he went on to red line about 10 pages showing me where I had repeated myself, where I should have done this and that—by the time he was done there where about 4 pages of that 10 left. I have kept in contact with this man over the last three years on and off. The other was an agent that ripped the work to shreds in much less helpful way.

My second book was not much better for over word use it turned out to be into the 400,000 range. I didn’t even bother to send queries on it. Maybe some day I will dig it out and divide it or burn it. LOL

My third book ended at 190,000. I am working on making it into two books---but in the year and half before it was done I have learned a lot thanks to my friend at DAW. I sent out about 20 queries on it. Sorry too dark where most of the rejections and I got several too longs back thus the desire to re-write it. I am working on it now.

My forth book ended at 70,000 words. I stumbled on a formula that is supposed to work for a first book. While I do not say this will work for anyone else as we all seem to work differently, but it worked for me. I sent out 10 queries thinking I had plenty of time to revise, three days later a big name agency asked for the complete manuscript. BONK! I was not ready for that and neither was the manuscript. I sent it anyway and it got rejected. I learned something though—one, as Kathleen told me, I should have taken the time to do some revision as they were not standing there checking their mail to see if I had sent it. Two: park the arrogance at the door. Look at the statistics for first time books---I had already done that with the word count per chapter ect. So I was one up on that one. Three: it worked, this idea of following the rules. I had a 1 out of 7 ratio in favor of the book looking at requests for it. Even if it got refused. Gadds with good reason.

Now I have added about 20, 000 words to it and ma sending it out again---guess what adding words was certainly easier than killing my darlings. And I am still averaging about 1 out of 7 in the area of requests for further material.

My fifth book is right now 40,000 words and I wrote the last chapter. Time to decide what to do with it. E-book maybe, or add another 35,000. Don’t know yet will see where it is at when I am done.

So I apologize as well for coming off like a bitch here lately! I am not like that. I am living in agent search hell and it is driving me round the bend. Thank goodness for my crit group-----

Shawn

Rahl22
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 
I just wanted to say you impress me to no end. Whenever I tell people that I like to write fiction (and I tell many people) 1 out of 3 times I get a "I like to write also!" reply. But when people tell me that they've written a novel, I mean - completed one, I am impressed to no end. I don't care if the thing got published or not. So congrats on five amazing accomplishments.

I hear so many writers say things like, "No, I don't really go back and add very much. It pretty much comes out the way I type it in." and it amazes me. This causes my inner-editor to go hogwild and scream at my inadequacies the whole time I'm writing. Things like, why can't you get it right the first time? or, You know <insert name here> would have gotten it right the first time....

Oh well, someday soon.... maybe! haha

Rahl

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Apr 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I hear so many writers say things like, "No, I don't really go back and add very much. It pretty much comes out the way I type it in."

I submit that at least half of those writers are either lying or in denial. Very few writers can quit with the first draft.

So don't let it get you down. The more you write, the better you'll be in first draft, but you will probably always have to do some rewriting.

(Unless you are a writer who is such a best seller that your readers would buy your shopping lists. Editors don't edit such writers--why spend money on something that won't make a difference to the readers?--even when such writers really need to be edited. That's why some best selling writers seem to get worse the more they write--they're not bothering to rewrite as they should or their editors are not bothering to edit as they should.)

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

I think the saying "a writer writes" should be "a writer re-writes"

I agree Kathleen. The novel I am currently marketing has been through 12 drafts now. And I have no doubt that an agent or editor will see it as a first draft and it will go through many others.

Feeling a bit less stressed today---did not end up going to the Frontiers conference--grrr, bunch of stuff came up, so I entered in their contest (back in April) and await hearing who won.

Also went to see Scooby-Doo last night--ROFLMAO--till I had tears running down my face, great spoofs on other movies if you watch for them. Great stress relief, so ignore the bad reviews, it was a kick.

Shawn

JK
Member # 654

ROFLMAO? What's that? I know LMAO, but what's this ROF bit?
Anyway. Shawn, might I describe you as, if I wanted to be accurate in my application of adjectivces, somewhate verbose? 325,000 words? Ack! Tolkien would be scared of you. But hey, how many people can say that wrote a novel that long? Definitely an achievement.
quote:
"No, I don't really go back and add very much. It pretty much comes out the way I type it in."
I'd guess this is true, Rahl, in that they're not adding anything, they're cutting out all the crap that wallows in the text. On cutting, though, let me share with you all something that I don't understand, and that's the concept of 'killing your darlings'. I understand the concept behind it, but if I read something that looks like rubbish, I'm disgusted with myself and have to cut it. "Out, vile spot!" (Well, perhaps disgusted is too strong a word...anyway.)
There was little point to that. It was just random sharing.
JK

srhowen
Member # 462

JK---ROFLMAO---rolling on the floor laughing my ass off.

Well, that first book is going to be four or five books at some point. I plug away at it when I am blocked on other things. So, it’s an epic that should be many books. I was too green to writing long fiction to stop when I got to the end of book one and say, OK let's wrap this up and go on to book two.

My second book---have no idea what to do with that monster---I checked word count on it today and it is out of this world. And i am not done with it. I stopped because there didn't seem to be any point any more with it. I went on and on and on and on and on----somewhere in it there are stand-alone books.

But--oh how I love some of the scenes! They jump from the pages vivid and sparkling, among many others that do the same. So to explain murdering my darlings---I need to choose which of those sparkling scenes best tells the story and advances it and kill the rest.

To me it is also not just in a long work this needs to be done. In the novel I am marketing right now, the main character drives a Jaguar. I had a scene where he was washing the car, by hand. It was, I reasoned, part of the setup to show how material the character was. (I had already done this in several places) A fellow writer commented that it was the only sex scene in the novel. As in, he didn't wash the car, he made love to it.

While a great and vivid scene, it went a little over the top for the characterization, and for the character as he grew and learned throughout the book. So, though I have kept the scene on my hard drive and in back up, it was cut. But boy I loved that written in flow scene! Thus another of my murdered darlings.

Cutting the junk is cutting the junk. Have mouse will travel. Highlight and hit delete with delight. But that is something learned along the way----what is good for the story and what is good for the writer are often hard to see. Practice and crit groups, though, help a lot.

Shawn-----off to murder some darlings and fix a plot flaw in my new work.

JK
Member # 654

Ah. But where's the T?
Hmm. I do see what you mean about murdering your darlings. But if it's not relevant to my story then, no matter how much I like the way I described his reactions, described that doo-wop or whatever, I just see a load of eloquent crap. And I hate that. Drives me nuts. Can't stand myself when I produce it. I'm quite hard on myself, thinking about it.
I'm currently deliberating on whether or not to ask you, Shawn, if I might read one of these epics. But I'm worried my computer might explode from the sheer weight. That, or my brain.
JK

srhowen
Member # 462

JK--laughing to hard to put in the little words. LOL

my epics need work---ekkk. The first two anyway. The 200,000 word one I am very pleased with, though even it will undergo much revision.

You know you have written too much stuff when your backup to A drive tells you do not have enough disk space for even one backup. Gotta go for the CDR drive and even that one is getting to the point where "my documents" folder must be divided in two. Yikes---just realized that my first computer had a hard drive smaller than what fits on a 700mg CDR.

Off to work on something. My latest must be doubled in length to query the paper publishers, as is I may go the e route with it and see where that takes me.

JK, I have work at www.wildchildpubishing.com A serial called Hidden Truths, if you are interested. I also do a column aimed at beginning writers, though I have taken a break for May and June from that one.

On query letters, buzz my e-mail if you want. I can share the letter I have been using that has gotten me a great many requests for further material.

Shawn

JK
Member # 654

Why CDRs, Shawn? I use a Zip drive myself.
I may just take a look at this serial. I may also just buzz your e-mail. I could do with a little advice in that area...
JK

srhowen
Member # 462

Have teen, have teen who is 14 year old budding hacker, use CD's to keep what I have from being erased. And the zip drive died--lol and the cd burner hasn't.

Shawn

Chuckles
Member # 1331

- posted      Profile for Chuckles   Email Chuckles         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yikes---just realized that my first computer had a hard drive smaller than what fits on a 700mg CDR.

Our first hard drive, way back when, was a whopping 20MB. Not GB, MB. :-)

quote:
Why CDRs, Shawn? I use a Zip drive myself.

Well, for me, it would be mostly the fact that ZIP discs cost a fortune compared to blank CDs. There's also a big compatibility issue, since you'd have to work really hard to find a computer without a CD drive, while the same can't be said of a ZIP...

Take care
-Justin-

Posts: 23 | Registered: Dec 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Chronicles_of_Empire
Member # 1431

- posted      Profile for Chronicles_of_Empire   Email Chronicles_of_Empire         Edit/Delete Post 

Of course, Shawn rushed a little too much with his earlier post.

To visit his site try this ur"l" instead:

http://www.wildchildpublishing.com/

Posts: 286 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
MrWhipple
Member # 1436

My first hard drive was 5mb and cost $3,000. Had 14 inch platters and was the size of a whole pc.
uberslacker2
Member # 1397

- posted      Profile for uberslacker2   Email uberslacker2         Edit/Delete Post 
I was reading some of these posts and I had two small questions.

1) How in the world do you people find the discipline to actually hunker down through the boring parts of your story (because we all know that you have a less boring part in your mind but you can't write it because you need background from earlier in the story)?

2) Just how old are you people? hehe...those are some sad hard drives...I'm actually quite young so I don't remember the time before windows very well (although I do remember working on a laptop that had no hd, you had to load DOS from a disk).

Posts: 70 | Registered: Mar 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
GZ
Member # 1374

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding Question 1 uberslacker2

Hopefully nothing is truly boring. If it’s really boring, who’s going to want to read it? I think you would want to rethink that section. A reader will wish you had.

But I assume you’re talking more about transition/information scenes between “big events” or something like that?

Really, they have a lot of potential of their own. They should be serving some purpose besides gushing exposition, and so they have action, character development, and new plot threads to grow. Lots of fun stuff to play with, which equals interesting writing time.

But really, if you’re so hungry to write a certain scene why don’t you? You can always change some of the details later to fit the lead-in as appropriate. I’ve been working that way lately, keeping in mind some things said on here about not having to work in a linear fashion (BTW -- Thanks for the head smack on that topic Kathleen ) Since I do have an overall scheme lined out, they’ve fit in well for the most part, and give great ideas about what to use as lead-ins that are often better than some of my original thoughts on the matter.

And there are of course such things as:
Rear in chair + Fingers on keyboard + Mind turned on = Words on Screen
Repeat until you’ve filled some sort of quota for the session.
You do make progress on things that way…

Posts: 652 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

LOL

I always miss that darned l. I had a magazine tell me that my link did not work--but they figured it out. LOL

How do we hunker down through the boring parts--for me if I hit a part that I find so boring I could sleep in the keys---I go back to the part that started putting me to sleep and I get rid of it and start from that point on again. I stand by my thoughts that if it bores me, the all mighty creator of the work, then it will bore the reader. <shrug> works for me.

How old are us people? I, too, remember my first lap top. It had two 3.5 drives, one for the dos and one to save on. LOL Can I say I learned to type on a electric typewriter? Yes, I can. But being past 40 doesn’t feel any older than when I went past 20 or 30.

Chronicles, ummmm---I am female. I have a picture up over at Wild Child through the author’s page if you are curious.

Shawn

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
How old?

Hmm.

Well, when I was about your age, Uberslacker, I was able to take a special class at the university for high school students in which I learned a little about computer programming using a language called Fortran IV. I put my programs on computer cards and fed them to a UNIVAC 1108 (the same kind of computer that got a man on the moon--I won't tell you how old I was when I watched that happen, though).

Later, when I got into college, I learned some about programming with Basic.

I had my first computer (a desktop--still don't have a laptop, FWIW) before you were born--8086 I think it was, two floppy drives, and very little RAM.

I have since had at least five other computers. The one I use the most has Windows 3.11 on it (I love DOS, but <sigh> ).

My favorite word processor is a true dinosaur (it came on that first computer and is older than you are) and while I can use Word Perfect and MS Word (and have them on another computer), I still like the dinosaur best.

My philosophy? Keep what works and make good use of it, but be able to use whatever comes along if it will do a better job for you. Be open to progress, but don't throw out old stuff just because it's old.

I think this applies to life, to computers, and to writing, among other things.

Chronicles_of_Empire
Member # 1431

- posted      Profile for Chronicles_of_Empire   Email Chronicles_of_Empire         Edit/Delete Post 

...oooops - sorry Shawn: faux pas is my middle name...

JK
Member # 654

In answer to the first question posed by Uberslacker,
If it bores me while I'm writing it, I stop. I think "I'm writing boring dung here, so I'll go away and come back later." When later comes, I've realised where I went wrong, I delete said boring dung, and start writing again.
If it bores me while I'm revising, I put a big fat line through it and rewrite it. Point is, I refuse to have anything in my story that I find boring. Any exposition should be there because I (and hopefully the reader) wants it to be there, and wanted it ten pages back. If it's only semi-relevant, I hold it back until I (and hpefully the reader) am tearing my hair out and screaming "I need to know this now!"
In reference to the second question, I'm 18. And frankly, I'm appalled that Kathleen prefers Windows 3.1 I'm more a 95/98 kinda guy. Or, if I could, a Windows-None kinda guy.
That's the opinion no-one asked for, and that's all from me, JK, at ITN.
JK

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

quote:
I'm appalled that Kathleen prefers Windows 3.1 I'm more a 95/98 kinda guy. Or, if I could, a Windows-None kinda guy.

We are MOT going to get into a "my operating system is better that your operating system" battle here, okay?

That said, I wish to point out that I did not say I prefer 3.11. Rather I said the computer I prefer using has 3.11. What I actuallly prefer is DOS 6, but you can't do much with that any more.

The other computer I use has Windows 98 and I'm fine with that. My dinosaur word processor won't run on it, though, and that's why I keep the older operating system around.

Again,

srhowen
Member # 462

LOL

Everyone can laugh--my fav word processor was one of those smith corona ones. The one that had the seperate monitor and you feed sheets into it type-writer style. What did it do that others don't do even now?

It did a word count on the top 25 words you used. Told you howmany times you used the word "that" for example.

And my fav version of WP? the old 4.2 yellow on a blue screen. I'm dyslexic in the extream--and that color order helped a lot with catching mistakes.

I can make WP 2002 blue with yellow letters but then every screen on the computer is dark blue--and I can't read the black ont he blue at all.

No not a my op system is better than your op system but a this is my fav is ok, I think. I findit interesting anyway.

What do we run. One PC with 3.11, one Windows 98, two Windows 2000. NO XP yet.

And I liked DOS 6 as well.

Shawn

Falken224
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Me? I'm a 'move just far enough behind the technology to let them work out the kinks' kind o' guy. I've got Win 2000 on my work computer and XP at home running the whole MS Office suite.

The irony is . . . I utterly detest Microsoft. *sigh*

Kathleen, believe me when I say I sympathize with you regarding your older word processor. And DOS. Dos was cool. (Well, UNIX/LINUX is still around, and it's close enough to keep me happy.) Personally, I miss the days of Word . . . 2.0? I think. Way back a long time ago on the Macintosh while it was still a screen surrounded by plastic. (which it has become again . . . go figure)

But I'm happy with MS Word of today and tomorrow. As long as it keeps running, I'm happy. (though don't EVER use it to write HTML. *shudder* *shudder*)

-Nate

| Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

Which brings up another question---to any of you who write html--do you use word pad? Or do you use an editor program--and no I am not talking about Front Page web building---an html program.

I use one called 4dtude.

Shawn

Chronicles_of_Empire
Member # 1431

I designed my entire site in Word 97, then edited the HTML in Notepad. Easy and simple.

Tried to use Dreamweaver, but it simply overcomplicated everything in a quite ridiculous manner.

Word can be quite fine for basic layouts.

srhowen
Member # 462

ICK! I hate DreamWeaver, it does over complicate things. And I hate th efloating windows, I got them like I wanted and then every time I brought the program up they were all over the place again.

Shawn

Falken224
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I code web applications in Java all day long as my job. Those java programs actually write most of the HTML, but unfortunately, that means I don't get to use any squiffy little programs like Dreamweaver, etc. I have to know all the 'behind the scenes' HTML code anyway. Not a HUGE deal, as I never got the hang of those 'helpful' programs.

In my free time, I just designed a website for my dad's/brother's business completely from scratch, completely in raw HTML code, and for just raw, straight HTML. I can't stand using Word for HTML editing. Anytime Word finds a document that's in HTML, it lays it out, then inserts its own styles EVERYWHERE in EVERY tag, and makes the whole thing convoluted, unintelligible, and 10 times the size it originally was.

Other editors are better, but I still find that Notepad is just fine for my purposes. At least my recreational purposes.

Word 97 might be better, but anything after is just ridiculous.

| Report this post to a Moderator
Chronicles_of_Empire
Member # 1431

I can certainly see Word 2000 trying to get on the act with everything it can - a case of trying to spoil a good program, perhaps.

But Word 97 can't handle certain elements, such as javascripts, which is why once the basic tables, text, and pics are dealt with in Word, Notepad is required to finish off and sort out details.

I'm certainly no expert on these matters - necessity has simply taught a few basics.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Something tells me I really shouldn't encourage this, but I can't resist.

I prefer using raw html code, too, Falken.

I'm no expert, but I've found that I can figure out what I need from looking at the source pages of webpages I like, and if that doesn't do it, I have also used Netscape Composer to set up what I want and then seen what the html is like for that, and adapt it to my needs in raw code.

I consider this learning through the back door, but it works for me. <shrug>

srhowen
Member # 462

LOL, Kathleen I do the same thing. If I see something and can't figure out how they did it I love the view source.

Shawn

Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
John

Re: titles

My understanding is that any title you give to your book is only a working title anyway. The publisher more often than not assigns a title--has to do with astute marketing, I believe.

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
JK
Member # 654

Any publisher touches my titles and he's going to get a smack with a wet trout, you just wait and see *grin*
I must stand up and defend Dreamweaver. I found Dreamweaver to be quite helpful, especially since I don't particularly like writing raw HTML. Obviously there are some things it doesn't like to do, but you can always bypass it with said HTML (I will do it, I just don't like to) and watch it fume a little.
On the subject of websites, Chronicles, I got a chance to check your's out. I'm quite impressed. Looks very professional. Hell of a lot more than mine (but I imagine it took you a while to do that, and time is something I'd rather spend on the words than the poncy website). I'm still confused by your talk of CDs, though, are you reading your work or something? Cos I think that counts for First Publishing Rights.
JK

parkypark
Member # 1444

- posted      Profile for parkypark           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with JK. Dreamweaver is an excellent tool. Homesite is another. Then again, I guess you don't need a very powerful tool if all you're doing is viewing and editing someone else's code that you've copied with a view source. Rest assured that good tools are not that difficult to learn--I've seen a non-technical marketing staff using Homesite and Photoshop.

You could use Notepad to edit a single HTML page. But for a project of any size, why not leverage a little technology? I suppose you could also hammer nails with the flat side of a rock, or use Notepad to write your next novel, but why? I like watching the guy on the 'Old Yankee Workshop' build furniture using hand tools--but when I build something, I'll take my Black & Decker over a hand-cranked auger every time.

I'm with Falken224 on not using Word to create HTML. Let's expand that to not using any Microsoft product. FrontPage has the same problem as Word when it comes to HTML. Make a few small style changes, and both programs spit out the worst looking HTML you'll ever see.

Better yet, use one of the hosted-admin tools for creating and editing your site. You’ll spend less time playing with the technology and have more time for writing. Here’s an example:
http://www.netsol.com/en_US/build-it/

Posts: 16 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

I love 4dtude. It is like Dreamweaver bt lets me do things my way withut haveng a fit.

I will defend view source though. It is a great tool when you just can't seem to figure out how someone got their site to "do that". I don't think Kathleen or I meant that we copied someone's code only that you can learn by taking a look at what they did.

JK, hmmm I didn't even think of that with the CD--yes if he is reading the story on the CD or it is written ont he CD then he is walking a thin rights line.

Shawn

Chronicles_of_Empire
Member # 1431

JK [et al] -

No, the CD isn't a narration - I found myself composing an orchestral/mediaeval soundtrack album on my Korg while writing.

So I put it on the net for free. Sort of a marketing tool.

One of the tracks made number 1 in the classical charts at mp3.com for 10 days this June. Still in the top ten, I think. Not bad for a site boasting over 1.5 million listed tracks.

I use the listening royalties I earn there to pay for the CDs I give out.

Hmm...is that why no one from here wanted the CD...'cos you all thought it would just be my voice droning on about rain for 4500 words?

Those I've offered it to are welcome to have one.

parkypark
Member # 1444

Have you posted a sample clip anywhere? Something we could listen to online (for free)? You might consider linking a .midi clip of the music to your homepage (be sure to provide a way for people to turn it off!). That would definitely give your site a unique hook.

I noticed the following on your homepage:

quote:
To commemorate the publishing of CHRONICLES OF EMPIRE, 200 soundtrack CD's will be given away.

Has COE been published, or are you referring to your own posting of the sample chapters in your online library?

Chronicles_of_Empire
Member # 1431

parkypark -

There's a big link entitled "music", under the title header on the homepage, that takes you straight to the soundtrack page on mp3.com

The 200 CDs giveaway thang was originally a marketing ploy to get people to register in the forum, and thus give me another hook for the agents - ie, mailing list equivalent. The deal being to send the CDs out when the first "Chronicles of Empire" book hit paper publishing, which would be some time away, and the advance would cover some costs.

But the response has been very poor compared to what was planned for, so I can afford to start sending out most of the CDs registered for this July.

MrWhipple
Member # 1436

Okay so I am the old dude in the crowd. I am 51 and my first computer that I owned was a Heathkit H-89 with a 1.77 Khz Z80 processor, 16K (KILObyte) RAM, a 100K floppy and no hard drive. You had to swap the floppy a lot. To run DbaseII I had to run the RAM up to the max of 64K. I still remember the feeling thinking "Who could ever use up 64K of RAM". The whole thing looked like a terminal with a built in keyboard and cost $2,400. This was the Kit version. It took about a week to put together. Each chip had to be soldered in one at a time. (16 chips just for the RAM.) We ran WordStar for word processing. I still love WordStar. You never have to take your hands off the keyboard. We didn't have a mouse anyway. Every time you wanted to change functions like format a paragraph or print a page, you had to put in a different floppy.
It paid for itself in the first month of use. We had to put out personalized letters to 350 clients, all hand typed. Just the envelopes took over eight hours. With the computer we could do the envelopes in a half an hour and you couldn't tell them from hand typed. We used Olympia typewriters with a serial interface that would type at the blazing speed of 4 characters per second. The typewriters cost $1,200, but compared to a Diablo daisy wheel printer at three grand a copy, they were cheep.
After we added the 5mb hard drive and twin 8 inch floppies we did all the word processing and accounting for nine companies on that machine. We were really high tech at the time. That was in the early eighties.

[This message has been edited by MrWhipple (edited June 28, 2002).]

parkypark
Member # 1444

CoE
Great job on the music, CoE. I think I'll start a music thread here, and see what that sparks.

Mr. Whipple
I'm your junior by more than a decade, MrWhipple, but even so, I once owned a TRS-80 and an Apple IIe. And as a teenager, I wrote some software on a Data General Nova system that had a 5MB rack-mount drive that was so heavy it took two people to carry it! We used a typewriter with a serial interface for a while as well--it was the only thing that could make an imprint through the six carbons on our invoices! That printer/typewriter was so loud, we gave it it's own room. (It had a killer typewriter ball ... remember those? http://www.beware-of-art.com/journal/200110/typewriter_1.jpg )And while we're reminiscing ... Remember acoustic modems? So, you may be the 'old dude' here, but you're not the only one with memories of Z80s and 300 baud modems!

Maybe someone should start a tech topic ...

[This message has been edited by parkypark (edited June 29, 2002).]

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

I think a tech topic would only be appropriate here if it pertained to writing.

For example, one of the Hatrack group members has an instruction sheet on how to use the tracking tool in Microsoft Word to comment on Word documents in much the same way that someone would write on a hard-copy manuscript.

Discussing that kind of tech information would be appropriate, but other tech discussion might not be.

MrWhipple
Member # 1436

Kathleen,

I was trying to stay on topic by mentioning wordstar. There are a few SF writers who are big fans of WordStar like Robert Sawyer

http://www.sfwriter.com/wordstar.htm

sorry

Ergoface
Member # 1429

It is just amazing what happens to a topic you start when you walk away for a while . . .

Anyhow, several of you are older than me but I can say I still have copies of my earliest programs on paper tape and that I (with some of my friends) wore out the single-step switch on an altair 8800 doing our assignments for our machine language (not assmbly, not high level stuff, real men program on the bare metal!) class.

I've used every version of WP since 4.2 DOS up through 8.0 windows and Word since 1.1 for Windows to XP.

Two asides that might interest you all. I make my living teaching other people how to use every possible feature in all of MS Office (and Bill Gates is no friend of mine). So, if any of you ever have technical Qs about things Word can or can't do let me know.

Second, there is something odd about Word XP. While working on my current novel I found that for reasons I still haven't discovered it did something to the file that caused it to triple in size. I fixed the problem by telling it to save in an earlier version of Word, but I have no idea what really is going on. The file leapt from around 250K to nearly 1 meg and when saved in an earlier version when back down to the previous size.

So far the latest version of the grammar checker in Word XP is about the only thing I like better than Word 2K. Just thought you might like to know.

Dave

[This message has been edited by Ergoface (edited June 30, 2002).]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.