Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Word Count & book length (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Word Count & book length
parkypark
Member # 1444

- posted      Profile for parkypark           Edit/Delete Post 
Ergoface wrote:
quote:
While working on my current novel I found that for reasons I still haven't discovered it did something to the file that caused it to triple in size.

Reduce the size of your Word files by turning off the 'Fast Save' option:
Tools->Options->Save Tab->Uncheck 'Allow Fast Saves'->OK

Posts: 16 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
JOHN
Member # 1343

- posted      Profile for JOHN           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My understanding is that any title you give to your book is only a working title anyway. The publisher more often than not assigns a title--has to do with astute marketing, I believe.

That really hurts.

That's one of things that scares me most if I ever do get published. I am a writer and there by flawless. An editor should correct my grammar and pouncuation errors and make story suggestions that I have the choice whether or not to take.

Unfortunately, this is the real world and I'm not flawless and I have avision of editors ripping my story to shreds even with a deal.

JOHN!

Posts: 401 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Ergoface
Member # 1429

- posted      Profile for Ergoface   Email Ergoface         Edit/Delete Post 
ParkyPark: Sorry, but I NEVER allow fast saves (fastest way I know to corrupt a Word file). I really do make my living as a trainer on Word so far I've stumped several other "experts" on this. Most think it has something to do with smart tags ( a new "feature" of XP) but turning off smart tagging won't restore a file. Only way I've found thus far is saving in an earlier version. It doesn't do it on most files, but those it does, it does consistantly. Gotta luv Microsoft.

Dave

[This message has been edited by Ergoface (edited July 01, 2002).]

Posts: 77 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
Editors ripping a story to shredds. What a vision. I hope we don't see it that way. IN most cases the editor is just out to make your story come a little closer to the perfect picture you have in your head. After the anger has passed a person most always sees that the editor was right. Not that you have to take what they say, but most times it is meant to give you an idea of how something could be re-worded. And looked at as an aid, you can often use your own words to write a more effective scene. At least that's what I aim for in my editing work.

As to title---yes most titles are considered working titles. Why? Someone hit it with marketing. And who knows you might even like the new one or they may keep your title. Keep in mind a short catchy title that goes with the story and you will have a better chance at keeping you darling.

Shawn

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
parkypark
Member # 1444

- posted      Profile for parkypark           Edit/Delete Post 
Ergoface wrote:
quote:
... I NEVER allow fast saves ...
AND
… It doesn't do it on most files, but those it does, it does consistantly. …

Then it could be that the files with the problem were initially created using an older version of Word. Sometimes Word uses more disk space than needed when opening docs originally saved in older versions. (I'm assuming you don’t accidentally have True Type fonts embedded in the documents, or have ‘automatically-save versions’ enabled.)

Posts: 16 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.