Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Suggestions...

Author Topic: Suggestions...
JOHN
Member # 1343

- posted      Profile for JOHN           Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, there isn't really a writing questions per se, but it effects my writting and this seemed like the place to ask.

As I've stated, I'm writing a fantasy novel and I need some new fantasy to read and be influenced by. I've exhausted my personal collection, rereading everything by Eddings, and Card. I've also read Goodkind but I've no desire to reread those books (not that they weren't good) and I read the first Wheel of Time and wasn't impressed enough to go any further.

I like to be reading the genre I'm writing as it just gets me in that frame of mind and I'm really not that well versed in the whole fantasy thing. (that's sounds really reassurring coming form a guy wrting a fantasy novel---doesn't it?) If ya'all could make a few suggestions I would be greatly appreciative.

JOHN!

Posts: 401 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahl22
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 
David Gemmel (sp) wrote some interesting and quick reading fantasy novels. Other than that you could check out Terry Brooks, J.V. Jones, and Tolkien (if you haven't already).
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Apr 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
chad_parish
Member # 1155

- posted      Profile for chad_parish   Email chad_parish         Edit/Delete Post 
LArry Niven has written a small quantity of fantasy -- all of it good. Because he's an excellent SF writer, his fantasy is always the kind where he sets up various rules of magic, then explores the consequences.

Whether you like the stories or not, they're excellent case-studies in how to build an internally consistant system.

Posts: 187 | Registered: Jun 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Betsy
Member # 1486

- posted      Profile for Betsy   Email Betsy         Edit/Delete Post 
John,
My favorite, fairly new, fantasy writer is Sean Russell. He writes novels based on our world's history, but set in an alternate world with magic. It is unique, and excellent. He has a new "high" fantasy series out now. Book 2 just came out. I would suggest his first two-book weries to start: The Initiate Brother, and Gatherer of Clouds. Make sure you have the second book with you when you finish the first. I was in agony when I had to wait.
Another good choice is CJ Cherryh's Fortress series. Also fairly recent, and good stuff. Always give her novels a little time at the beginning, though. I don't know what is up with her, but she writes really boring openers.
Those are my picks.
Liz(had to pick new user name cuz I lost my password)

Posts: 16 | Registered: Aug 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
SiliGurl
Member # 922

- posted      Profile for SiliGurl   Email SiliGurl         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm seconding the recommendations to read David Gemmell and Sean Russell. Gemmell is "light" fantasy-- great narrative, tight prose, strong characters. It's often "stock" fantasy in so far as you have near superhuman heroes, vile villains, quests for magical lost artifacts, and epic battles. BUT I don't say all of that for criticism-- it's lean, tight, engaging storytelling. It's fun (hence, light fantasy). And Russell is just amazing... I just finished the first book (The One Kingdom) and was enthralled, first page to the last. It's epic storytelling, rich prose, very textured characters, and a wonderful "rogue" hero.

I would similarly recommend: George RR Martin (more epic fantasy), Robin Hobb (her Assassin series, NOT the Mad Ships), and Diana Paxson. For a brilliantly written, unique take on the Arthurian legends, I can't give enough praise to Jack Whyte. He firmly grounds the legends not in mythic fantasy or magic, but in the gritty reality of post-Roman life in England (hence, you won't find him in fantasy; look in general fiction).

OH! And as bizarre as it sounds, for a non-fantasy novel that has some of the most lyrical, beautiful prose around, try "The Death of Vishnu." It isn't the sort of thing I normally read by a long shot, but I thought I would "broaden my horizons." I'm grateful I did-- the novel was learning how to read for the first time... Truly breathtaking. So, I recommend it as a "writing craft aid."

Hope that helps!

Posts: 306 | Registered: Feb 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
epiquette
Member # 1272

- posted      Profile for epiquette   Email epiquette         Edit/Delete Post 
These are my 'must-read' fantasies:

1. Lord of the Rings - Tolkien, which goes without saying.
2. Chronicles of Amber - Roger Zelazny (also Lord of Light, Creatures of Light and Darkness, ...)
3. Riftwar books (Magician, etc.) - R. Feist
4. Dune - Herbert (perhaps this is SF)
5. Earthsea series - Le Guin
6. Vlad Taltos books (Jhereg, etc.) - S. Brust
7. Gosh, why can't I think of the rest right now? (...not by my book case...)

You may also like:
Dragonbone Chair, etc. by Tad Williams
Annals of the Black Company - Glen Cook.
Fionavar Tapestry, Tigana - G. G. Kay

Wheel of Time (R. Jordan) reaches its peak about book four, then sputters. I'll probably read them all anyway.

Despite its many fans, I have to say I don't like G.R.R.Martin's Game of Thrones and rest. You will like them if you like books filled with tons of gratuitous perverse sex and violence, where the plot takes an eternity to go anywhere. The prose, however, is excellent.

2c

Erk

Posts: 35 | Registered: Oct 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
GZ
Member # 1374

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
As something not mentioned yet, you might want to look into Raymond Feist’s RiftWar Saga books. There are I think 5 in the original sequence, and a couple related newer trilogies.

[Edit: Oh for pity's sake, said author is only mentioned in the post above. Still good books!]

[This message has been edited by GZ (edited August 09, 2002).]

Posts: 652 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Chipster
Member # 1383

- posted      Profile for Chipster   Email Chipster         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked 'Daughter of the Empire' much better.
Posts: 17 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Betsy
Member # 1486

Another of my favorites is by, um, Tracy Hickman and Margaret Weis(?) I can't BELIEVE I can't remember the name of the series, what a loser, but i think it is The Seventh Gate? Oh, this is terrible, but the books were unbelievably good. The characters are intense.

Also, Anne McCaffrey's first three dragon novels.

Marion Zimmer Bradley's first TWO Darkover novels.

Michael Moorcock-esp. the Messiah at the End of Time series. Weird, though.

Tons of "kid's" lit: Redwall series, T.A.Barron's Merlin series, The Seventh Tower, Ursula LeGuin(any)

So many more!
Liz

PS Be careful what you wish for!I have gotten some good suggestions on this posting, so thanks for asking the question.

srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
Liz, I think it was "The Chaos Gate"

Shawn

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Betsy
Member # 1486

Nope, I'm off to find out now.
Liz

Betsy
Member # 1486

OK, here it is. It is the Death Gate series.(and, Shawn, one of the seven books is Hand of Chaos)
The first four are:
Dragon Wing, Elven Star, Fire Sea, Serpent Mage

They are very, very good, even though I could remember not even one title!
Liz

GZ
Member # 1374

Another really good trilogy by Tracy Hickman and Margaret Weis is the Rose of the Prophet. I loved those books.
srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, now you all have done it. I have 65 boxes of books in the gargage. I now have to dig out the fantasy ones and reread some of these titles.

Shawn

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Betsy
Member # 1486

Shawn,
the tough part for me is when the series has a name, as well as each individual book. I mean, come on, can't it be a little simpler for those of us with AAADD?(Age-activated attention deficit disorder)

I like the magic in Sean Russell's books, because it is very subtle, hard to do, and tends to have a very long term effect. It seems more natural, and gives his books a very "real" feel. I am finding Book Two of his new series(The Isle of Battle) to have way too many POVs, though. Maybe this is because it is the middle book of three? Has anyone else read this series?
liz

PS By the way, John, i highly UNrecommend Stephen Donaldson's Thomas Covenant trilogy. I really hated it, but forced my way through because I had bought it. If anyone read and liked it, I would be very interested to know why. I could never bring myself to have any sympathy for Thomas Covenant, and kept wishing he would just up and die and leave them all alone.

Rina_Mystery
Member # 1487

- posted      Profile for Rina_Mystery   Email Rina_Mystery         Edit/Delete Post 
The Death Gate series is a wonderful set of books to read--like aforementioned, you should try them. Also their series involving the Darksword. For something darker and original, try the Black Jewels series by Anne Bishop, or for fantasies based around legends, you can read Marion Bradley's Avalon books or Juliet Marillier's Sevenwaters trilogy.
Posts: 6 | Registered: Aug 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Betsy
Member # 1486

Just a thought. How would you categorize the Death Gate series? I like to use DD Shade's Speculative Fiction list(on the Lost Books site) but i can't really say what i would call this series. It would be interesting to hear what others think.
Liz

GZ
Member # 1374

For Death Gate I don’t think any of the categories fit well, but I’d say Traditional Fantasy is the closest. Maybe it would fall in a sub-set of Traditional Fantasy if there was such a thing…
DragynGide
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for DragynGide   Email DragynGide         Edit/Delete Post 
Two of my all-time favorites:

Waterborn, by J. Gregory Keyes, is a classic hero's journey as well as great fantasy. The mythic element is masterful.

The Elvenbane, by Andre Norton and Mercedes Lackey, is excellent fantasy with exceptional characterization. It's also my favorite rendering of dragons to date.

Shasta

Posts: 122 | Registered: Jul 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Rina_Mystery
Member # 1487

- posted      Profile for Rina_Mystery   Email Rina_Mystery         Edit/Delete Post 
Beware Andre Norton's books-- (The Elvenbane books that I've read, both of them, are rather good)--but the only other book I read by him (her)? was terrible. Hmm I wish I remembered the name---
Posts: 6 | Registered: Aug 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
JOHN
Member # 1343

- posted      Profile for JOHN           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks you guys have given me a lot to think about. Keep 'em coming; I get paid Friday, and I'll print this thread out and take in to Barnes and Nobles.

JOHN!

Posts: 401 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Betsy
Member # 1486

John and all,
Here is a very cool website I found. You can choose books based on your mood, or whatever. Check it out.
Liz
http://www.allscifi.com/default.asp

Betsy
Member # 1486

John and All,
Not to be corny, but the site is very cool. You have to go to the left, and look for Book Search(I think)You will figure it out, if I did. I was just poking around there again.
Liz

cvgurau
Member # 1345

- posted      Profile for cvgurau   Email cvgurau         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if anyone's mentioned it (I think someone's mentioned his name, but that's it) but Terry Goodkind's first four or five Sword of Truth books are pretty good. The first one is the best by far, and they just kind of dwindle from there. The fourth, The Tower of the Wind, or something like that, was a tie for second with the second book, whose title I'm forgetting.

I didn't even finish the most recent book. It seemed to me like a desperate attempt to hold on to a great series, as did the two or three before that.

Chris

Posts: 552 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
cvgurau
Member # 1345

- posted      Profile for cvgurau   Email cvgurau         Edit/Delete Post 
PS -- thanks for the great list, guys. I was wondering what I should start reading next. I've been in a reading lull of late, and didn't want to go out and just pick a book. Sad to say, but I'm a judge-the-book-by-the-cover kind of guy.

Ashamed and embarrassed,
Chris

Posts: 552 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.