Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » How can one generate better ideas?

Author Topic: How can one generate better ideas?
Agesilaus
Member # 1609

- posted      Profile for Agesilaus   Email Agesilaus         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello to all, I'm running to some problems with my writing and would appreciate some advice. I'll come up with an idea for a short story, and start to work on developing it, then one of two things happen. I'll either find it too similar to an idea I've read about already, or I can't come up with enough "what if?"s or twists to make it really come alive. Do others have similar problems, and if so, how do you overcome them? Thanks.
Agesilaus

Posts: 3 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kokomo
Member # 1210

- posted      Profile for Kokomo   Email Kokomo         Edit/Delete Post 
The magic words:

What else?

Keep asking yourself what else could happen here? What else could he want? What else could she try? What else...

Posts: 134 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't worry about whether a story idea is 'similar' to one you've read before. Let your POV character react to the situations in the story as a unique individual, and you'll find that you've got a story that no once else could tell.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahl22
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, if you're looking for a way to really shake things up, OSC suggests trying to combine two of those seemingly unrelated ideas. This has worked for me a couple times before, to create something really different and yet fun.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Apr 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
What Rahl said.

Usually "an idea for a short story" just isn't enough. You have to have at least two ideas for a short story, and more than two if it's a longer story.

Don't start writing when you only have one idea, no matter how great you think it may be. Come up with at least one more idea to go with it or to work against it, before you try to write something.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Agesilaus
Member # 1609

- posted      Profile for Agesilaus   Email Agesilaus         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, that helps. Thanks very much for the fast turnaround.

Agesilaus

Posts: 3 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.