Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Reading List (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Reading List
cvgurau
Member # 1345

- posted      Profile for cvgurau   Email cvgurau         Edit/Delete Post 
I've really been lacking in reading my fantasy lately. Except for the Harry Potter series, and OSC's LoveLock, I haven't read a fiction novel in months. That having been said, what two or three sci-fi/fantasy novels would you recommend?

Chris.

PS--Also, which two or three books would you keep around for references (save the two most important, the dictionary and thesaurus, of course)

Posts: 552 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
No time for fiction lately, but reference--

The Complete Guide to Editing Your Ficiton, Random House Word Menu, and English Grammar for Dummies.

Shawn

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
uberslacker2
Member # 1397

- posted      Profile for uberslacker2   Email uberslacker2         Edit/Delete Post 
grab a copy of foundation (Issac Asimov). I'm reading through it and it's pretty good. Everybody that I've talked to about it says it should be required sci-fi reading. It's not hardcore sf like I was afraid it would be.
Posts: 70 | Registered: Mar 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Balthasar
Member # 5399

- posted      Profile for Balthasar   Email Balthasar         Edit/Delete Post 
SF -- Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers. Just finished it--excellent!

F -- Tad Williams, Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn. A trilogy comprising The Dragonbone Chair, The Stone of Farewell, and To Green Angel Tower. I think it's the best post-Tolkien fantasy out there, and best of all: it's finished!

Don't forget to read literature: Graham Greene, Brighton Rock -- just started it, and it's very good so far.

As far as reference books, the one book I've been turning to a lot lately is John Gardner's The Art of Fiction. I'd also recommend his On Becomming a Novelist. The Writer's Digest Character Naming Sourcebook is also very helpful.

PS -- Don't forget to check out my Hugo and Nebula Award Winners post. (I'll update it for easy access.) I put it up there precisely to answer your question.

[This message has been edited by Balthasar (edited May 12, 2003).]

Posts: 130 | Registered: Apr 2007  | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
My references are both of Osc's writing books, Stephen King's On Writing, and Strunk and White's Elements of Style.

Ni!

Posts: 177 | Registered: Mar 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
rainsong
Member # 430

- posted      Profile for rainsong   Email rainsong         Edit/Delete Post 
Patricia McKillip's Song of the Basilisk is a gorgeous, gorgeous read.

I'd also recommend the Year's Best Fantasy and Horror collections by Terri Windling and Ellen Datlow, because the stories are top-notch and I've found lately that reading short stories seems to fit better into a busy schedule.

Posts: 386 | Registered: Mar 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Koholos
Member # 1642

- posted      Profile for Koholos   Email Koholos         Edit/Delete Post 
Terry Brooks new bio "Sometimes the Magic Works" and "The Plot Thickens" by Noah Lukeman are both excellent references, as are any by WD School...

Also, any book by Bradbury is a good read for SF, as is Dune and its series

Posts: 2 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Fahrion Kryptov
Member # 1544

- posted      Profile for Fahrion Kryptov   Email Fahrion Kryptov         Edit/Delete Post 
L.E. Modesitt, Jr.'s Recluse series is fantastic...
David Eddings- anything

I can't think of any other ones not mentioned above off the top of my head...

Posts: 101 | Registered: Dec 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz
Member # 1594

- posted      Profile for Liz   Email Liz         Edit/Delete Post 
My recommendation would be to read any Sean Russell you can get your hands on. He is a relatively new writer with a very different style that I am totally addicted to. He has a new series out, more a traditional fantasy, called The Swan Wars(I think) Book Three(and the last) will come out this summer. He does not write endless series.'

Posts: 22 | Registered: Feb 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
GZ
Member # 1374

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
Reference books:

Besides OSC’s two that have already been mentioned, I also got a lot of good out of Nancy Kress’s Beginnings, Middles, and Ends.

Fiction:

Connie Willis – Passage and To Say Nothing of the Dog are at the top of my favorite list.

Posts: 652 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 1619

- posted      Profile for Phanto   Email Phanto         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't appreciate David Eddings.
Terry Pratchett, writes fantastical satire that I like.

Posts: 697 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
SiliGurl
Member # 922

- posted      Profile for SiliGurl   Email SiliGurl         Edit/Delete Post 
For fiction enjoyment: Game of Thrones or The One Kingdom (not sure if that title is right; it's by Sean Russell). Authors I really enjoy, George RR Martin, Sean Russell, Anne Bishop, and Kirsten Britain.

For reference: On Writing (Stephen King) and The Describer's Dictionary (David Grambs). The latter in paricular is great if you're wrestling with "detail block."

ALSO, I've found myself jotting down particular phrases or words from my fiction reading that really grab me... or are unique twists on a common phrase.

Posts: 306 | Registered: Feb 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
mags
Member # 1570

- posted      Profile for mags   Email mags         Edit/Delete Post 
SF - Elizabeth Moon - Winning Colors (book 3 in Herris Serrano series)

She has great dialog, and puts her stories together well. Technically what she writes is space opera.

Posts: 142 | Registered: Jan 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
rainsong
Member # 430

- posted      Profile for rainsong   Email rainsong         Edit/Delete Post 
The Recluce series is only good if you read two or three books in it. Beyond that, they all bear too much resemblance to one another to be particularly interesting.

Ditto for Eddings - the Belgariad was excellent, Polgara the Sorceress fascinating, and anything beyond that just plain tiring.

What sort of books do you enjoy, Chris? It might be easier to recommend books to you we had some idea of your reading tastes.

Posts: 386 | Registered: Mar 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
cvgurau
Member # 1345

Uhm, let's see. In the past, enjoyed Stephen King, OSC (naturally ), Jane Lindskold, Terry Goodkind (Only the first 3 or so books of his Sword of Truth series. Like you said, anything after that is just plain tiring). I've also enjoyed J.K. Rowling, Jean Auel, Marion Zimmer Bradley (although I admit, I've only read one of her books) and Dean Koontz. Off the top of my head, that's pretty much it. I'll try to further the list a little later)

Chris

PS--Thanks for all the input, guys. I should be kept busy for a while reading all those books.

littlemissattitude
Member # 1597

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
I recently read Declare, by Tim Powers. I guess I'd classify it as fantasy grounded in reality and history (read Powers's afterword to the book for an explanation of that). It is a great book (translate that as: I really liked it a lot). I think its value is that its construction is a little unorthodox, but that it worked completely for me.

Also, I would recommend anything by Kage Baker. Her series of novels and short stories, based on an entity she calls the Company, centers on time travel and immortality. I don't have the time or inclination to reread many books, but I've read all of her novels more than once. The novels, in order, are In the Garden of Iden, Sky Coyote, Mendoza in Hollywood, and The Graveyard Game. I'm blanking on the title of the most recent book, a series of loosely related short stories, right now, as I've only read it once. I guess that means that it's time to find it in the library and read it again. Anyway, she writes with passion and humor. I especially like the ongoing film festival in Mendoza in Hollywood; you'll have to read it to find out what I'm talking about.

Edit: to correct tortured grammar. And again, because I managed to torture it even more in the correction. Oh, well. I guess I'm having a bad grammar day.

[This message has been edited by littlemissattitude (edited May 15, 2003).]

[This message has been edited by littlemissattitude (edited May 15, 2003).]

Posts: 50 | Registered: Feb 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
cvgurau
Member # 1345

I've heard of a book with names from all walks of life: Japanese, Chinese, French, etc...but I don't know the name. Does anyone? I think this book would be up there with the Dictionary and Thesaurus, seeing as how all of my names are either American (Anglo-Saxon?) or Romanian.

Thanks again,
Chris

Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
What are you even talking about? You've "heard" of a book that has Chinese, Japanese, and French names, and you think that we might be able to identify it based solely on that information?

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds reasonable to me. I wonder if it has Polish names...?
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
cvgurau
Member # 1345

No, what I mean is that there are plenty of baby books out there with names for your kids like Michael and Daniel and Jason, but this particular one has names from all walks of life, and was written specifically for writers, I think. (Does that make more sense?)

Chris.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a copy of it, but I'm not sure where it is right now (I think it's buried in one of my "piles").

It has names from all over the world, and it's written for writers.

I'll dig into the piles asap and post the information here.

(It's a little expensive (over $70). The author is working on an new edition with no scheduled publication date. I couldn't wait for it and went ahead and bought the current edition.)

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Balthasar
Member # 5399

Yes, the book exists. I own it, and I mentioned it in my first post. I reference it at the beginning of every story. It's called The Writer's Digest Character Naming Sourcebook. It has names from the following cultures:
  • Anglo-Saxon
  • Arabic
  • Armenian
  • Arthurian Legend Names
  • Basque
  • Celtic
  • Czechoslovakian
  • Danish
  • Dutch
  • Egyptian
  • English
  • Finnish
  • French
  • Gaelic
  • German
  • Greek
  • Hebrew
  • Hungarian
  • Indian
  • Irish
  • Italian
  • Latin
  • Native American
  • Norse
  • Persian
  • Polish
  • Russian
  • Scandinavian
  • Scottish
  • Slavic
  • Spanish
  • Swedish
  • Teutonic
  • Ukranian
  • Welsh
  • Other

Sorry, no Japanese or Chinese.

I found it at a used book dealer here in Dallas and paid $8.00 for it. On the back, it lists for $18.99. I just checked Amazon.com, and they sell it for a measly $69.99! (I guess Kathleen and I are talking about the same book.) I also searched writersdigest.com, but they don't seem be selling it. If I were you, I'd search the used bookstores in your town before flopping seventy bucks down. You might also want to search abebooks.com.

It's a gold mind, I'll tell you that. Good luck finding it.

[This message has been edited by Balthasar (edited May 21, 2003).]

Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm impressed. It does have Polish names. Sounds like a good tool.

Amazon.com listed The Icarus Hunt as $69.99 when I was first looking for it. The person recommending it to me said "No way" and I checked further and it was $6.99. (That pesky little dot again.)

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Ergoface
Member # 1429

- posted      Profile for Ergoface   Email Ergoface         Edit/Delete Post 
You could spend money for names, or you could use the internet. I did a fair amount of this prior to my last kid's birth. Here's a link: http://babyzone.com/babynames/babynames.asp

That was all I still had bookmarked. Do a search and you'll come up with more.

Dave

Posts: 77 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Alias
Member # 1645

- posted      Profile for Alias           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
SF -- Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers. Just finished it--excellent!

True. As opposed to the movie, which didn't even seem to resemble the book.

Also has anyone ever heard of a book called
"Zetheroth's Fall" (?)
I don't remember if that is the exact title, but I do remember reading it a long time ago. Superb fiction, I wish I had kept a copy.

Posts: 295 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Penboy_np
Member # 1615

- posted      Profile for Penboy_np   Email Penboy_np         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was younger, I read this wonderful book by Frederik Pohl called Beyond the Blue Event Horizon.

I recently did some extensive googling and found the name with only a slightly related fragment of story. Wonderful, wonderful story.

Posts: 42 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
cvgurau
Member # 1345

Regardless of what others have said, I watched the movie, Starship Troopers, and I kind of liked it. It had some interesting visual effects, which I'm always for, and I liked the fact that it was more militaristically plausible. Unlike Star Trek, it wasn't one giant ship against another.

Still, if you guys say the book it just that good, I'll have to try it, then, won't I?

Chris

PS--Ergoface, thanks for the link. I bookmarked it.

edited to add:
PPS--I also recently watched the Bourne Identity, and I couldn't help but notice the many differences between the movie and the book. In the documentary, the director (I think) said that they were updating the movie for a newer audience, since the book was written so long ago (1976, if memory serves.) Maybe that's what they were doing for Starship Troopers?

[This message has been edited by cvgurau (edited May 23, 2003).]

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay. I found the name book I was talking about.

PEOPLE'S NAMES, A Cross-Cultural Reference Guide to the Proper Use of Over 40,000 Personal and Familial Names in Over 100 Cultures, by Holly Ingraham, published by McFarland & Company, 1997, ISBN 0-7864-0187-7.

Not only does she list names and their meanings, she tells how people are named in each culture and all sorts of other relevant things about naming.

The cultures included are modern as well as historical, and there's a section at the end on "Names without Languages" for those who want to make up names for their stories.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
cvgurau
Member # 1345

Thanks, kathleen.

It'll really come in handy.

Chris

Sachant
Member # 1648

- posted      Profile for Sachant   Email Sachant         Edit/Delete Post 
None of Robert Heinleins's books to movie have come off well. Last I heard Moon is a Harsh Mistress might become a movie. I'm so glad OSC is doing the screenplay for Enders Game.

Authors I love:
OSC of course (Ender series)
Eddings- I agree Anything
Terry Pratchett- for potato chip type mind candy
Anne McCaffrey- Dragon Riders of Pern especially the Harper hall portion. Crystal Singer series (a bit romance story but the technical and music sections are brilliant.)
Piers Anthony- Incarnations of Immortality
Gene Wolf- anything
Mickey Zuker Reichert- Renshai Series
Heinlein- Anything really, Job, Glory Road, Starship Troopers, Red Planet etc are great reads.
Robert Jordan- Read ONLY to his fourth book. Do not go past four. He'll just infuriate you the way he abandons characters and plots.
Terry Brooks- Anything
Stephen R. Donaldson- Anything
Marion Zimmer Bradley- Anything
CS Lewis- Anything

I could probably add tons more authors that I have read.

As for reference.. I'm taking everyone elses advice on that.

A caveat for George RR Martin- Many many people loved him. Especially the game company that I have worked with for years and that I did the strategy guide for (Wolfpack studios title Shadowbane). I however did not like it. I could not click with any of the characters and the female characters (which I usually identify with being female) made me angry. It was not an enjoyable series and I stopped mid way through the third book out of frustration.

Oh.. remembered another great author- Mary Stewart. She did a great series on Authorian legend and it starts with (I believe) the book "the crystal cave" about Merlin aka Taliesin as a young boy. Also her stand alone book the Ivy Tree will have you guessing the life of a young woman and whether she is or isn't who she says or people claim.

Enough babbling from me.

[This message has been edited by Sachant (edited May 30, 2003).]

Posts: 21 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz
Member # 1594

- posted      Profile for Liz   Email Liz         Edit/Delete Post 
Robert Jordan- Read ONLY to his fourth book. Do not go past four. He'll just infuriate you the way he abandons characters and plots.

I SO agree. I finally gave up after book six, I think. I also found that Jordan had an increasing need to have his female characters spanked by other female characters, and it really started to annoy me, beyond being able to let it go as part of a larger, wonderful story. I intend to read the last book, if he ever has the gumption to finish this series.

I LOVE Mary Stewart. One of my favorite non Merlin novels was TOUCH NOT THE CAT. I have read just about all of her novels. Actually, my favorite of the Merlin-Arthur novels was THE WICKED DAY, which was about Mordred.

If you like the Arthur legend, email me off list. I have a bit of an obsession, and I can lead you to other good stuff, much of which is in the young adult fiction sections.

Have you noticed all the Arthurian stuff in Jordan?

Liz

Posts: 22 | Registered: Feb 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Sachant
Member # 1648

Yeah! Someone else that loves Arthurian legend.

I haven't read Touch Not the Cat. Loved the Ivy Tree though. Very good book. Unfortunately I loaned it out and never got it back.

The Wicked day was great. Loved the first book too just because of meeting Merlin as a child. Very very good. I'll email you for sure. I'm a book addict as it is.

But here's the real question... Do you like Gwenivere? I just can't like her or Lancelot. All my sympathies are always for Arthur.

Yep, Jordan definetly has that Arthurian touch. I'm soooo glad I didn't read after five which I choked down. I can tell you what happened to him though. His wife started editing his work. There is no way I'd let my husband edit.. he loves everything. LOL

[This message has been edited by Sachant (edited May 30, 2003).]

brero
Member # 1652

- posted      Profile for brero   Email brero         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd give Jordan, Eddings and Williams a miss. Jordan's books are cumbersome, unoriginal and the writing is amateur. Eddings is extremely fantasy lite and for Williams I ditto what I've said about Jordan, apart from the writing which is far superior.

My own suggestions are:
Ken Macleod's Engines of Ligth series
Perdido Street station and The Scar by china Mieville
Fallen Dragon by Peter F Hamilton
The Dragon Waiting by John M Ford
Stand on Zanzibar by John Brunner
Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe
A Song of Ice and Fire Series by George RR Martin
Assasin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb
Anything by Terry Pratchett

Posts: 7 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I'll grant you that Robert Jordan's series needed to have ended by now. As I understand, it was supposed to have been shorter. I think he might have just made too much money off the first few books and decided to milk it for all it's worth.

However, I have to completely disagree with the idea that his work is cumbersome, unoriginal, or amateurish. His work is highly descriptive. His world is rich and very well thought out. His characters have depth that I have rarely seen anywhere else. I feel like I know them. I don't understand how you think he's an amateur. His writing style is very easy to follow and, in some cases, beautiful.

As to unoriginal, yes, many of the ideas he has worked into his novels have come from other sources, but whose haven't? True originality comes from putting a new spin on existing ideas, joining them together in a new way, or trying out a new technique. Jordan has done all of these things. He has taken a wide variety of other ideas from cultural atributes to fantasy elements to political intrigues and put them together in such a way that he has truly created a new world. Please, if you know someone who has done this before, let me know because I'd love to read it!

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Balthasar
Member # 5399

Christine --

Have you read Tad Williams' fantasy triology I mentioned in my very first post on this thread? It's very good, and it is what inspired George R. R. Martin to begin writing his fantasy triology (which I have yet to read).

I'm not sure Williams is as good was Jordan WAS! Unfortunately, Jordan stumbled along the way, somewhere between Book 4 and Book 5. Too bad.

Christine
Member # 1646

As a matter of fact I am about 30 pages from finishing William's first book in his trilogy. So far I think he writes very well but I am waiting for the punch line before making any definite judgements about the series. : )
brero
Member # 1652

quote:
OK, I'll grant you that Robert Jordan's series needed to have ended by now
They never should have begun.
quote:
He has taken a wide variety of other ideas from cultural atributes to fantasy elements to political intrigues and put them together in such a way that he has truly created a new world
A pseudo medieavel jumble of cultures.
quote:
However, I have to completely disagree with the idea that his work is cumbersome, unoriginal, or amateurish. His work is highly descriptive. His world is rich and very well thought out. His characters have depth that I have rarely seen anywhere else. I feel like I know them. I don't understand how you think he's an amateur. His writing style is very easy to follow and, in some cases, beautiful.

I must have missed something: to me, his characters seemed quite simplistic. His writing style never seemed beutiful, just dull, and rambling at points.

Survivor
Member # 213

I have to agree that Jordon has some serious faults, and if you aren't a particularly fast reader, his books are tedious (I listened to one of them on tape once--the reader did a good job, but it took days to listen too the bloody story).

His world building suffers from serious defects, from geology to economics to politics to tactics. It really does feel like a patchwork of pseudo-medieval cultural referances cobbled together to give his characters a playground. And in far too many of his books the main action doesn't advance a significant amount. His characterization tends to come primarily out of what the character looks like (especially women, who fit into two catagories; bustier than everyone else, or not so much busty as well endowed ).

In his defense, he has a wonderful natural quality to his storytelling and language. You really can just read his books for the pleasure of the words themselves...if you read fast enough not to die of boredom, that is

Christine
Member # 1646

Sometimes some people just enjoy one writing style or story line and others don't.

I believe we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one. : )

Sachant
Member # 1648

I want to point out something quickly about George RR Martin's series (The game of Thrones)... Men.. Love it. Most women I have talked to (including my mother) hate it.

Being a woman myself I couldn't stand the women. I could not relate to any of them and he jumps from character to character in each different chapter. If you like a character and get into them...suddenly you find yourself without them for 3-5 chapters or even the rest of the book.

Others say they love him because he's not afraid to kill off people. Well, there is such a thing as going overboard to prove it.

I stopped midway through the third book. I haven't touched it for at least half a year. I'll finish it someday just to have it done with, but it is grueling for me.

As for Jordan, he started well. I enjoyed it thoroughly then.... ugh.

As to opinion on who is and isn't good... Well I often list both the heavier reading and the light reading. Take Eddings for instance. I thoroughly enjoy his work because it is of the lighter variety and I can get swept away in it.

Lately, I enjoy those more because my time to read is limited since I had my daughter. It's like a snack and a vacation both.

Balthasar
Member # 5399

Survivor -

quote:
His world building suffers from serious defects, from geology to economics to politics to tactics. It really does feel like a patchwork of pseudo-medieval cultural referances cobbled together to give his characters a playground.

Could you elaborate on this. What exactly does geology have to do with telling a fantasy story? It's been a while, but I don't remember Tolkien discussing in any detail the geology or economics of Middle Earth.

Survivor
Member # 213

Tolkien and Jorden both included maps of the primary lands where the story takes place. Tolkien's maps show unusual, but plausible geology. In fact, the rather weird features of Tolien's geology tend to correspond to lands that are under the influence of powerful magics--which makes me think that he was doing it on purpose.

In Jorden's world, there is a pronounced tendancy for rivers to run along the crest of a ridgeline all the way to the sea. I suppose that he does use the "Breaking" to explain other bizzare features of his world, but...I just can't look at his map without giggling...which means that every time I have to refer to the map to understand the spatial relations (which is thankfully a good deal less necessary now that all the important characters can Travel), my immersion in the story comes to a crashing halt.

The economics and politics of his stories just...they make the world a little less real, a bit more of a farce. Every time I get a description of this or that lavish setting or archane political manuever I go riight. You have to keep in mind that I've found all of Elizabeth Moon's work pretty unrealistic too, particularly her ideas about weapons, tactics, and so forth (Moon, a veteran of the USMC, is often praised for the realism of her military portrayals).

Part of the problem is what you mention (though Tolkien actually did give a wealth of detailed information about the economics, geology, and politics of Middle Earth). Jorden gives too many details that practically scream, "It's just a book, none of this is real." Moon also shows off too often that she learned modern tactics--and not much of deep strategy or how to think like a commander (I'm being hard on Moon, she actually does okay much of the time).

In other words, it is the explicit mistakes that catch your eye. The implicit consistency of Tolkien's world is sadly missing in Jorden's work...but then again, it is absent in most fantasy these days.

Rahl22
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 
Survivor,

I just wanted to say, it's JordAn. And I think you're absolutely right.

That is all.

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Apr 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
brero
Member # 1652

Balthasar, why does it matter what Tolkein does. Something can't just be bad or good depending on whether Tolkein did something similiar or not. Why do people have to keep thinking in his shadow?
Balthasar
Member # 5399

brero -

First, Tolkien is to fantasy literature what Twain is to American literatre. You can't talk intelligently about fantasy literature if you haven't read Tolkien. And whether people like it or not, ALL fantasy literature depends on Tolkien. He is the reference point. Jordan purposly began his Wheel of Time Series with a Tolkienesque feel. Tad Williams wrote his massive fantasy trilogy becasue he thought he could say something that Tolkien didn't. George R.R. Martin began his fantasy series becasue he read Tad Williams and thought he could do something similiar. Even Hickman and Weis studied Tolkien scholars before they began the Dragonlance series. Fantasy writers will always be influenced by Tolkein, and the fact that you want to do something different just shows how influenced you are by him.

Second, I know that Survivor has read Tolkien, and I wanted him to compare Jordan to him. If you have ever taken literature class, you know that the reason you usually read more than one author is so that you can compare them. This directly ties into the first point--Tolkien is the father of modern fantasy, so everything is going to be referenced to him.

GZ
Member # 1374

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And whether people like it or not, ALL fantasy literature depends on Tolkien. He is the reference point. Jordan purposly began his Wheel of Time Series with a Tolkienesque feel. Tad Williams wrote his massive fantasy trilogy becasue he thought he could say something that Tolkien didn't. George R.R. Martin began his fantasy series becasue he read Tad Williams and thought he could do something similiar. Even Hickman and Weis studied Tolkien scholars before they began the Dragonlance series.

I think saying "ALL" is a bit to extreme. There’s a good history of spoken and written fantasy that extends well prior to Tolkien. Where is folklore? And what about some other fantasy works, like Alice in Wonderland which was written in 1865, Nathaniel Hawthorne’s "Young Goodman Brown," and Poe’s short stories (1800’s). Tolkien’s work didn’t start to appear until 1937.

Where Tolkien is the reference point is the modern Medieval styled quest epic. All the works listed above fall into that category. Tolkien’s popularity is also the catalyst for the popularity of the genre within the publishing market today.

Posts: 652 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Balthasar
Member # 5399

Point conceded.
Sachant
Member # 1648

CS Lewis Chronicles of Narnia and Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass were my first fantasy books.

I still am enamored of the idea of chess though I can't really play beyond knowing how the pieces move.

brero
Member # 1652

Balthasar, you've just conceded that not all fantasy literature is affected by Tolkein and I would actually say taht its damaged by the Tolkein's influence. And we could go on forever arguing whether LOTR is actually of any worth. Also, you don't give very good examples of influenced authors. Weis and Hickman are lightweight authors who write licensed stuff. Too many authors are lazy and do not think for themselves. They lower the quality of their work, Jordan for example, by knocking off Tokein because it sells. The Eye of the world is an awful book and the Tolkienesque feel is nothing but a cheap cut and paste ploy to rack up the sales.
Christine
Member # 1646

Hmm. Well, I would certainly like for less fantasy to be influenced by Tolkien. As soon as people think fantasy they think Middle Earth like world (most people say Medeival, but that's not relaly accurate, it's more like Renaissance.) Some fantasy has gotten away from that, becoeme contemporary or futuristic, or something else. I enjoyed the Htarack series partly because it set fantasy in an alternate history, I thought that was good.

However, Balthasar's point, I don't think, wasn't that you should compare all fatntasy to Tolkien. It was that often times, when discussing a work of literature, you use a benchmark such as Tolkien's work to compare it to. In fact, even when we talk about modern fantasy we still start by comparing it to Tolkien. "I liked that it was not a Tokien copycat." Is, actually, a comparison to Tokien. After that point you may have to find another work to compare to.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.