Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Good SciFi/Fantasty movies/TV? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Good SciFi/Fantasty movies/TV?
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I've recently had a conversation with a friend in which we tried to recall *good* science fiction or fantasy movies. We took a side trip into TV series, but we came up with even fewer of them. So, I thought I'd try to spawn a discussion on movies and TV. What's out there that you think is good? (Any time period.) Maybe I've missed something, because there seem to be scant few choices.

I've seen a lot of bad stuff. First of all, there's the horror category, which is sort of related but I've never seen anything good there. Then there's the movies made out of good books that did not make good movies category. I include the recent Harry Potter movies in this category, as popular as they were, and I *loved* the books. Then there's the movie for the sake of special effects category. I have never had any respect for a movie that's only claim to fame was, "Yeah, but the special effects were awesome!" Last, and possibly least, (at least on this list) are the B movies with bad acting and bad to mediocre plots.

But enough about bad stuff, where's the good stuff? Please, someone throw out some titles! TV, movies, anything.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
James Maxey
Member # 1335

- posted      Profile for James Maxey   Email James Maxey         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't comment on TV, since I spent the better part of the last decade without a television and when I did have one I didn't have cable. I've only ever seen one X-Files, have never seen a Star Trek Voyager or Babylon 5, and for the most part am just completely out of the loop. (I have, however, seen Smallville and Futurama, and enjoyed them both, although Smallville suffered by having kryptonite morph into this magic rock that can do anything.)

Good SF movies in recent years: Spiderman, the first Matrix, The 5th Element, Lilo & Stitch, Monsters Inc., Tarzan, and, um, hmm. Starting to draw blanks. I suspect it seems like there haven't been many good SF movies because so many of the most hyped movies in recent years have been duds. But, lets say that one SF movie in ten is a good one, and maybe 1 out of 100 is a great one. Is that really any different than the ratio in written fiction?

--James

Posts: 252 | Registered: Dec 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Bone
Member # 1280

- posted      Profile for Bone   Email Bone         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite movie is Interview with the Vampire which isadapted from Ann Rice's novel of the same name. Some other good choices that I enjoy are Willow, Legend, 13th Warrior, Blade Runner, Robin Hood, What Dreams may Come, and Ever After. A great movie but leaning towards historical fiction rather than fantasy is Dangerous Beauty. Some others that are alright but not great are Queen of the Damned (sequel to Interview with a different cast) and Dungeons and Dragons.

Movies I would avoid are John Carpenter's Vampires which I own but doesn't compare to the above and one of the worst movies I have ever seen called Reign of Fire. Which I saw opening day to support fantasy genere movies and just wasted my $6.00 on.

[This message has been edited by Bone (edited June 14, 2003).]

[This message has been edited by Bone (edited June 14, 2003).]

Posts: 35 | Registered: Oct 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 1597

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
Here are some of the sf/fantasy/horror films that I have really liked. The list (not in any particular order) is by no means exhaustive; these are just the ones I can think of on a Saturday morning, an hour after rolling out of bed.

The Mummy (1932) - not the recent remake, although that is a fun movie. This version starred Boris Karloff as the mummy and Zita Johann as his reincarnated love. One of my favorite movies of all time, of any kind. Still stands up after all these years. Directed by Karl Freund.

The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951) -as far as I'm concerned, this is the perfect science fiction movie. Stars Michael Rennie and Patricia Neal; directed by Robert Wise.

Invaders From Mars (1953) - Don't confuse this with the remake. Director William Cameron Menzies managed to make this into a really frightening film. Jimmy Hunt, as the boy whose parents are taken by the aliens, is really good.

Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977) - The other first encounter film, almost as good as The Day the Earth Stood Still, probably only second best because Robert Wise got there before Steven Spielberg did. Stars Richard Dreyfuss and Teri Garr.

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) - Stanley Kubrick's tour de force. An experience not to be missed.

2010 (1984) - Sequel to 2001; not the trippy movie that the original was, but a very good film anyway.

Field of Dreams (1989) - Yeah, I know, it's a Kevin Costner movie sold as a baseball film. Still, it is a great fantasy film.

The Abyss (1989) - Another one of my favorite films, and not just because it stars Ed Harris, who is one of my favorite actors. Yeah, it's long, but go with it. A cool, cool movie.

Five Million Years to Earth (also known as Quartermass and the Pit) (1967) - This a wonderful British science fiction film; one of my favorites - I still watch it every time it comes on TV. This one is worth the effort to seek out.

Planet of the Apes (1968) - This is the original; it works on several different levels. The 2001 "remake" (it is really more of a reworking) is all right, but if you haven't seen the 1968 film, see it.

Edit: to fix UBB Code. And then again, to fix typo.

[This message has been edited by littlemissattitude (edited June 14, 2003).]

[This message has been edited by littlemissattitude (edited June 14, 2003).]

Posts: 50 | Registered: Feb 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

2001 A Space Odyssey? Wasn't that one of the worst movies evere made? Not a thing hpapened in the entire movie.

I must be confused about my definition of a scifi/fantasy movie because I didn't think Tarzan, Ever After, or Robin Hood qualified. How do they fit in the (I'll asume Fantasy) genre?

What about series peoiple liked? I liked Babylon 5, but I've seen no other good series and few other pretty good series.

James Maxey
Member # 1335

- posted      Profile for James Maxey   Email James Maxey         Edit/Delete Post 
I classify Tarzan as SF/Fantasy for three reasons.

Reason number one: Edgar Rice Burroughs, the creator, if he were writing today, would unquestionably be marketed as a SF or Fantasy writer. Burroughs wrote, I dunno, three million novels or something, and all of them are set in exotic SF locations like Mars, Venus, the center of the Earth, remote islands where dinosaurs still roam, etc. His standard formula for a novel: Imagine some incredibly remote and alien location, then imagine how it could be improved by the presense of a square-jawed, steely-nerved white man of good breeding.

Reason two: In this light, at the time he was writing, the jungle was an alien location to most people. You would probably classify as SF a novel set on the bottom of the ocean, like the Abyss or 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. When Burroughs was writing, the jungle was as mysterious and unknown to most people as the bottom of the ocean. Burrough's jungle is like Burrough's Barsoom (Mars). He takes the scant knowledge and speculations of scientists then builds a world around them. Admittedly, his jungle is closer to reality than his Mars is, but it is still a created world extrapolated from the science of his time, and thus is SF.

Reason three: Tarzan also fits well into fantasy because Tarzan has a magical power--he can talk to animals. Part of this is based on the scientific extrapolation I mentioned above. In the mindset of the day, Africans were thought of as one step below Europeans on the evolutionary chain, and gorillas were seen as one step below them. The logic was that Africans had language, albiet more primative than the European languages (NOTE: NOT MY OPINION! NO HATE MAIL PLEASE!), therefore the gorillas would have a language one step more primative than the Africans. Thus, Tarzan learns the gorilla language. However, over the years, Tarzan's jungle has gotten very chatty and now every freakin' thing in the jungle talks to Tarzan. He probably can communicate with slime-molds in a pinch. This seems more like magic to me than SF extrapolation.

Reason four: I know I said three reasons, but math is hard. Tarzan is also fantasy because he fits into the classical myth of men being raised by animals and gaining some of their abilities. This is a myth that dates all the way back to Gilgamesh.

Reason five: Okay, I don't have a fifth reason.

--James Maxey

Brinestone
Member # 747

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
littlemissattitude's list is excellent. 2001 is not a bad movie if you go into it with the frame of mind to accept that one of the main points of the movie is that space is boring. I personally love the movie.

The Abyss is an excellent movie with good acting, an interesting concept, and fun characters (i.e. a plot outside of the sf concept). OSC wrote a novel version that is also excellent.

Posts: 814 | Registered: Nov 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Canuckboy
Member # 1657

- posted      Profile for Canuckboy           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey all. I can't believe nobody has mentioned the LOTR movies, I've seen the first two that are out so far and they are both AWESOME (in my opinion).
Posts: 1 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
Mars Attacks, especially when watched on a Canadian station in French.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

- posted      Profile for Doc Brown   Email Doc Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose if you twist my arm into admitting that it's possible to make a good fantasy movie, I'd say the LOTR movies qualify. Otherwise there's never been a good one.

There are more good sicience fiction movies, but just barely:

2001: a Space Odyssey is fantastic. Nothing else has ever come close. The television shows Space: 1999 and Babylon 5 both suckered me into believing they would be 2001: the TV Show but both were miserable dreck that viloated laws of physics and economics in even their best episodes.

Contact is good, except that Zemekis killed the ending by taking out the part about scientific proof of the existence of God, which was the most brilliant scene of Sagan's book.

Bicentennial Man is also good. I can't believe no one else has mentioned this one. It's one of the few attempts Hollywood has ever made to tell an actual science fiction story that asked big questions about the meaning of our lives, or relationships to each other, and what it means to be human.

A Clockwork Orange is perhaps the best movie on my list. So few movies question the nature of human free will and personal responsibility. If it's not on your list of top SF movies, then you should watch it again and pay closer attention.

Back to the Future, sadly, does not belong on the list of greatest Sci-Fi movies. As much as I appreciate the fact that Stephen Spielberg increased the value of my car by several thousand dollars, (hence my pseudonym in this forum) the science isn't that good. However, the original BTTF ought to get points for its superior logical consistency. It's not bullet proof, but it's more bullet proof than any other time travel movie I can name.

[This message has been edited by Doc Brown (edited June 16, 2003).]

Posts: 976 | Registered: May 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Bone
Member # 1280

- posted      Profile for Bone   Email Bone         Edit/Delete Post 
Doh, I love Contact and one of my favorite movies ever but haven't gotten around to reading the book yet by one of the greatest non-fiction authors ever. (Dr. Carl Sagan) Oh well guess knowing the god thing doesn't ruin much of anything and the movie does give away most of the book for me anyway.

On another note if you're a fan of science and enlightenment. Read Demon Haunted World : a Candle in the Dark by Sagan. The best non fiction book I have laid eyes on to date. Contact was his only fiction work and the movie was great I am sure the best is outstanding.

Posts: 35 | Registered: Oct 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
James Maxey
Member # 1335

No good fantasy movies but LOTR? I guess that depends on how you define fantasy. If you go by the definition of fantasy that seems to grip the shelves in bookstores that fantasy requires elves and dragons, then the list is pretty slim. But if your definition of fantasy is simply a story with magical or supernatural elements, (excluding horror or "dark fantasy" which is its own little subgenre) then some of the most beloved films of all time are fantasy films. Wizard of Oz and It's a Wonderful life are both fantasies, for example.

This might be more the topic for a separate posting thread, but do the rest of you feel that the fantasy category, a category which should theoretically be limitless in scope and potential, has become overly limited to the Tolkienesque clone "high" fantasy type of storyline?

--James

littlemissattitude
Member # 1597

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
Doc...you are right about A Clockwork Orange, of course. It's just that I don't generally think of it as science fiction. I don't know why. It isn't a pleasant film to watch, to be sure, but that certainly doesn't change the fact that it is a great film.

And I have to say that I disagree (obviously, since I put it on my list) with the idea that 2001 is a boring film in which nothing happens. An amazing amount happens in the film; it is just not arranged in a conventionally narrative way, and so it requires a little bit of work from the viewer.

Edit for clarity and to correct tortured grammar.

[This message has been edited by littlemissattitude (edited June 16, 2003).]

Posts: 50 | Registered: Feb 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

I think you should start another thread, James...you've hit on one of my primary frustrations with fantasy. It could be so much more! I primarily write fantasy, but I have never written about an elf, dwarf, dragon, or troll. (except once when I was writing a short spoof for my friends) Fantasy, to me, is a genre that means "anything could happen" and it's always amazed me how little "antyhing" really seems to encompass.

Meanwhile, back on this thread...

I liked Back to the Future. It was funny. Sometimes you have to rate shows on the basis of what they were instead of whaty ou'd want them to be, and BTTF was meant to be funny.

LOTR disappointed me, as I knew they would I rated them as ok. The scenery and special effects were incredible. The movies followed the same premise and basic course as the book, but they fall under that category of movies that were based on good books and were not as good as the book. Actually, the first movie had long segments that bored me.

Contact was good, I forgot about it. I didn't read the book though. I should.

2001 A space Odyssey was the WORST movie I EVER saw in my ENTIRE life. Yikes it was boring. Maybe I could appreciate all the little brilliant things they did if I could have stayed awake.

Willow? Did anyone mention that one? I liked it.

Star Wars Trilogy was good, of course. (The original episodes 4-6 not the prequels...they were pretty bad.)

Kolona
Member # 1438

Star Wars prequel #1 was a bit childish (though I still liked it), but I loved prequel #2. Of course, I'm a sucker for a good romance. <sigh>

quote:
fantasy....could be so much more! I primarily write fantasy, but I have never written about an elf, dwarf, dragon, or troll....Fantasy...is a genre that means "anything could happen" and it's always amazed me how little "antyhing" really seems to encompass.

I'm still struggling to define space opera, which by the process of elimination is what I think I'm writing (LOL). I'm wondering if this "anything can happen" label puts space opera in the realm of fantasy, insofar as it isn't hard SF.

So I guess I'd have to ask if Star Wars is fantasy or SF, since I know it's labeled as space opera.

2001: A Space Odyssey was an odd viewing experience. At first viewing, confusing; at second viewing intriguing; at third viewing amazing. A classic, I think.

[This message has been edited by Kolona (edited June 16, 2003).]

James Maxey
Member # 1335

Card actually addresses the genre label issue in one of his books on writing, although I'm too lazy to dig through my books to find out which one. His story was that he wrote a science fiction story but it was set on a forested world, so the editor decided it was fantasy, despite Card being sure it was SF. Apparently the genre is set in most people's minds by only a few tiny elements. Space ships = SF, horses = fantasy.

James

Jules
Member # 1658

- posted      Profile for Jules   Email Jules         Edit/Delete Post 
A couple of observations:

2001 - You need to watch it from the right perspective. Don't be tricked into thinking of Frank & Dave as the main characters: it is Hal you have to get into the skin of.

Babylon 5 - Maybe not hard SF (although I personally can see little wrong with it other than some of the bizarre things that they do with telepaths), but a really good series with an excellent plot. Do watch it (from beginning to end) if you haven't. There are a number of episodes in series 1 which are a little on the tedious side but after that it settles down into the plot and you will be captivated.

Genres - yeah, publishers don't have a clue. Most of them would classify star wars as SF, whereas it is definitely (in my mind at least) fantasy.

Posts: 626 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
mags
Member # 1570

- posted      Profile for mags   Email mags         Edit/Delete Post 
to add a few movies:

I really liked Excaliber, Time Bandits and Ice Pirates. (not that Ice Pirates was great, but I liked how well they spoofed the sci-fi shows of the time)

I don't feel that Robin Hood is fantasy. Yes, it is fictional characters, but set in a real time. And although there is witchcraft going on, some of that stuff was believed to work during those times... sooooooooo is that really fantasy? - ok, so the other question would be which version of Robin Hood are we talking about? Since I think there are about 20 movies that have been made, and a tv series.

Posts: 142 | Registered: Jan 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
JK
Member # 654

- posted      Profile for JK   Email JK         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Most of them would classify star wars as SF, whereas it is definitely (in my mind at least) fantasy.
Fantastical SF, yes. But not fantasy. Fantasy is definitely does not include laser guns and star ships.
quote:
Yes, it is fictional characters, but set in a real time.
A story about wizardry in 1990s New York would be fantasy, though.
quote:
Back to the Future, sadly, does not belong on the list of greatest Sci-Fi movies.
Heresy! Hunt down the Doc and string him up by his underwear!

I need to watch those films again...

JK

Posts: 503 | Registered: Sep 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

- posted      Profile for Doc Brown   Email Doc Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, JK, but Back to the Future just doesn't have enough credible science to be science fiction. It's soft, mushy, fantasy. So it Star Wars. So is Dune for that matter.
Posts: 976 | Registered: May 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

Hmmm...I smell another what is scifi debate. No one ever wins these things, but I suppose I still have to take a bite at the movies in question. (Save Dune, because I haven't seen it or read it. Yes, yes, it's on my to do list. )

Not all science fiction has to be SCIENCE. I have heard, and will never change the mind of, those who believe only hard science fiction is good stuff. I believe that there is more than one way to write science fiction, or perhaps I should call it speculative fiction. There is also more than one point that can be made.

Some science fiction is about advances in science. In my opinion, they are generally a YAWN! But it's legitimate too. Some is about people's reactions and adjustments to advances in science. These I tend to like. Still others take a settled science fiction universe and tell interesting stories in them. These vary greatly, as space operas fall in this category and I'm not fond ot them, generally speaking.

Stores with a primary focus other than science don't need to be as painstaking in their detail as the science stuff, in my opinion. That's not to say you shouldn't bother trying to get it right, but only in general principle, not in painstaking detail. And if, as in Back to the Future, your purpose is humor, I will typically give you a wide margin for error if you actually make a funny story. Star Wars, for its part, is a science fantasy. Neither science fiction, nor fantasy, but a combination fo the two.

Kolona
Member # 1438

Christine, that was the best definition of space opera I've come across. Out of curiosity, did you see any or all the the Star Wars films, and any more than once?
Christine
Member # 1646

I couldn't possibly count how many times I've seen the original trilogy. over a dozen each. Episode 1 and II I've seen twice each, they're not nearly as good.
Kolona
Member # 1438

Christine, let me pick your brain a bit. On re-reading your definition, I see you have space opera as only a part of that third category. Okay. But what defines it from the rest?

I think it's safe to say Star Wars was written more with the movie in mind rather than as a book -- Lucas's vision and all that. If you've read it, you know it feels distant, third person omniscient with a strong authorial voice and no deep thought penetration.

Still, though you said you generally don't care for books in that third category, obviously Star Wars got your attention. Why? Was it strictly because of the film advantage of visuals? Had it been only a book, would you have like it as well? Had it been a book more well-written, would you have liked it as well? (That's no slam to Lucas, but I think you know what I mean.)

Not to belabor Star Wars, but other than Star Trek and all the fan fiction, I don't know any recent titles of space opera. Which would be my next question. What are those titles?

Christine
Member # 1646

You're right. I think all space operas are stories set in a sci fi universe but not all stories set in a scifi universe are space opera. I'm not sure what I think space opera is, I've been trying to sort out the definition myself. Certainly Star Trek is, but just because people are on a ship in space doesn't mean it's a space opera.

I did not read the Star Wars books, knowing that they were based off the movies I wasn't really interested. I liked the movies, but the main reason I've watched them so many times is that they're a popular party theeme (at least among nerds like myself).

What the movies had that sets them apart from space opera IS the fantasy element I mentioned. I think that's why I liked them. I liked the force, I liked Yoda (everyone likes Yoda ), I liked the drama. I had no particular preference one way or the other for the special effects. I've never liked a movie for its special effects, it has to have more.

In my mind, Space Operas aren't dramatic. Let's take Star Trek, for instance. You know perfectly well that no harm is going to come to anyone who isn't wearing a red uniform. I watched them when I was young, but as I see it, I gre wout of them. Space Operas are full of cliches, superficial characters, done a million time plots, and laser fights that somehow manage to make loud booms in a vacuum.

But that's just my opinion

Kolona
Member # 1438

quote:
Space Operas are full of cliches, superficial characters, done a million time plots, and laser fights that somehow manage to make loud booms in a vacuum.

<sigh> Now I've come full circle. The above is what I originally thought space opera was -- textual comic books. I admit it was based on my abhorrence of soap operas since the name sounded uncomfortably similar. But further attempts to see where my story fit in the SF marketplace made me think maybe space opera was a broader category than I had imagined.

Now I'm thinking maybe I simply fit in your defined third category, although the soft SF aspect still throws me. <sigh>

Maybe I need a title of something in that third category.

[This message has been edited by Kolona (edited June 25, 2003).]

GZ
Member # 1374

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
I always rather thought Space Opera was what happened when you put an heroic epic on space ships.
High drama. Romance. Action and Adventure. Futuristic technology a prop, not the plot device. Put it in another setting, tweak a few thing, and you’d have a historical or fantasy novel.

Star Wars is "the" example that comes to mind.

Star Trek…. That one just doesn’t feel like a space opera, even if it probably does fit the definition. (Enterprise exploring universe = Cook exploring our worlds oceans). It’s just not flamboyant enough in the right way. Maybe I just dislike it too much to be reasonable about putting it in the same category as Star Wars (the originals anyway). :P

Doesn’t Science Fantasy have, well, more science that you actually see in Star Wars? Space Opera has always seemed like a subset of the Science Fantasy division. The more Melodramatic cousin, but still the same basic family.

Posts: 652 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

That, GZ, was the broader category I was thinking of before. That's it, exactly. And the writing can be more elegant than Flash Gordon.

Kolona
Member # 1438

Found my previous notes on space opera and did some more research. I see why I'm vacillating about it. It is a broad range -- from Captain Video to even Asimov.

ATOMX13's Space Opera Page says "Many S.F. fans object to this label, because they think it emphasizes what they think is the worst of sci-fi...Space Opera is the earliest, and arguably the least sophisticated form of Science Fiction."

Then there's space.com's info on Catherine Asaro, a physicist, whose contribution to space opera mixes physics with romance. An interesting aside here, for you hard SFers -- Asaro's FTL space drive is based on imaginary numbers and supposedly works on paper. Check out http://www.space.com/sciencefiction/books/asaro_000204.html

Scifan.com has space opera, space epics, and space romance lumped together in a themed list of books, conveniently arranged by year. See http://www.scifan.com/themes/themes.asp?THthemeid=30.

Found a great treatise on the subject of space opera at http://www.orionsarm.com/intro/space_opera.html.

Anyway, I believe what I have is space opera and I do believe I'm in good company: Asimov, Herbert, Niven, McCaffrey, Lackey, Norton, Haldeman, etc. Amen.

Christine
Member # 1646

That's good to know. I guess somehow the term "space opera" has truly negative connotations. I was particularly confused a few months ago when checking out magazine submission guidelines and one magazine said, in bold letters "NO SPACE OPERA". I wish they would have defined what they meant by space opera, because there seems to be quite a wide variety of it, some of which is good, some of which is not.

And of course, just because something *can* be set in a different time and place doesn't mean that there isn't something added to the story by putting it in the sci fi universe. Part of the point of sci fi, in my opinion, is that it creates new societies from the ground up, where the reader doesn't have the biases of the present day or even the past to interfere with their impressions.

Kolona
Member # 1438

Quite frankly, I think GZ's three categories of SF work well: advances in science (soft SF need not apply); reactions and adjustments to scientific advances; settled universe with an interesting story. The third category is all space opera, it seems to me, since space opera is as broad as it is. It's just too bad the lower end of space opera tends to define it.

GZ
Member # 1374

Those were Christine's categories.

Kolona
Member # 1438

I knew that. Just wanted to see if you were paying attention.

<embarrassed>

GZ
Member # 1374

It was nice you thought of me, though!

quote:
Part of the point of sci fi, in my opinion, is that it creates new societies from the ground up, where the reader doesn't have the biases of the present day or even the past to interfere with their impressions.

Well, the reader, being traped in the present day by default, is still going to have those biases. But such a science fiction setting that lacks or plays with those biases gives the reader a chance to examine those biases from a differnt perspective. But then so does any story set outside the readers experience of time or place, at least to some extent. SF just has more opportunity to push farther.

[This message has been edited by GZ (edited June 27, 2003).]

kwsni
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
I know the converstaion has moved on a bit, but I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Princess Bride as a fantasy movie. It's not the best movie in the world, but then neither is LOTR.

edit: Farscape and Firefly are the best science fiction shows out there any more, even if they've both been cancelled.::glares at network execs::

Ni!

[This message has been edited by kwsni (edited June 28, 2003).]

Posts: 177 | Registered: Mar 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
Fantasy--The 10th Kingdom. Loved that movie.

SciFi--Soilent Green.

Shawn

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Hildy9595
Member # 1489

- posted      Profile for Hildy9595   Email Hildy9595         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with The Princess Bride as one of the best fantasy movies. Loved, loved, loved it -- the humor, the camp, it all worked for me.

Science fiction movies? The original Terminator holds a fond place in my heart, along with oldies but goodies like the first Star Wars and Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Oh, and Alien, although I guess that's a hybrid horror/SF.

Television: I was a big fan of The X Files until Chris Carter utterly destroyed his own creation. (Yes, I am bitter, thank you very much). Also, Babylon 5 and Buffy the Vampire Slayer in their heydays.

Posts: 338 | Registered: Aug 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jules
Member # 1658

I've found a lot of people have trouble getting into B5. It helped me that while
I was in uni I lived with a guy who was an absolute B5 nut. Kept talking to me about stuff like the lurkers guide (an unofficial web site that chronicled the B5 story as it unravelled, making speculations and observations on what might be happening), and from there I got really hooked on the story.

The plot was, I think, the best that I have ever seen on TV... but as it was split up over about 80 hours of action it takes a while to start to notice it!

Firefly I've just got into, and have to agree that something's really wrong when that gets cancelled. Although I hear Whedon's planning on making a film based on it, which could be interesting. And might also revive interest in the show if its done right.

Can't say I agree about farscape, though. I watched the first series, and have seen bits and pieces since, but I never really thought it was very good. The characters don't seem believable to me. Does anyone else have this problem with it, or do I just need to give it another chance?

Jules
Member # 1658

Hmmm... you mention Terminator. As I recall, I've heard that its based on a French film called (I think) something like 'La Jetée', which also inspired Twelve Monkeys which I also thought was an interesting film. I've never seen the original though - has anyone here seen it?
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
Part of the problem I have with picking "good" SF movies or TV shows is that there are some where the SF premise is good but the execution is flawed, and there are some with great execution where the premise is flawed. Trying to get both right for a two-hour movie (let alone for every episode of a TV series) is very hard.

For example: time-travel movies. "Back to the Future" was executed very well, but the SF elements were flawed. (And I don't mean making a time machine out of a DeLorean. I mean things like people gradually being erased from a photograph as the possibility of their being born changes. And what happened to the Marty McFly who grew up with a non-wimpy dad?)

On the other hand, there's "The Final Countdown." If you grant the premise that a freak storm could transport a nuclear aircraft carrier to December 1941, there are no loose ends. But the quality of the movie itself is about average.

So with that in mind, here are my SF movie recommendations:

Gattaca: Perhaps a little slow, but well-made with thought-provoking SF premise.

Contact: Missing my favorite parts of the novel, but still an all-around great movie.

Terminator & Terminator 2: Second one's better movie even though the time travel aspect is better in the first one.

The Abyss: The ending's a little disappointing (and that was before the director's extended version) but a great movie nonetheless.

Robocop: I'm serious. Good SF premise, good action, and the satirical future newscasts and commercials are a hoot.

Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure: OK, it's really more of a comedy, but it handles the intricacies of time travel better than most SF movies about time travel.

Jurassic Park: The science was pretty good, and it was well-made.

Sword & Sorcery Fantasy Movies:

Lord of the Rings: Need I say more?

Willow: Has some problems here and there, but overall a lot of fun.

Comic Book Movies (sort of a separate genre):

Unbreakable: Great examination of the idea of comic-book archetypes.

Superman & Superman II, Spiderman, Batman, X-Men, X2: X-men United: With varying degrees of faithfulness to the comic-book canon, they succeed in bringing the spirit of their respective comic books to the screen.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
AndrewR
Member # 1563

- posted      Profile for AndrewR   Email AndrewR         Edit/Delete Post 
Re: TV SF. Does anyone remember the series "The Prisoner." Not quite SF in tone, but definitely in characteristics. (The Village had dear "Rover," a huge white bubble, to keep the prisoners in. They never explained how it worked, but in any other context it would be SF.)

In some ways, "The Prisoner" was probably one of the best SF series ever.

Posts: 180 | Registered: Jan 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jules
Member # 1658

I've seen a few episodes, and I have to admit to loving it. And from what I understand most SF fans do. Yes, it doesn't have an SF setting. Rover is no more SF than many things that ended up in Bond movies at about the same time. BUT - it is written from the same mindset as SF. It is most definitely a 'what if' story. Its just not entirely clear what the 'what if' was (which also makes some of the best SF stories IMHO; consider Speaker for the Dead as an example... the nature of the descolada and the effects that has on life on the planet is a very important 'what if' for that story and isn't revealed until about 2/3rds of the way through the book).

Nexus Capacitor
Member # 1694

- posted      Profile for Nexus Capacitor   Email Nexus Capacitor         Edit/Delete Post 
I’ve got a few good Sci-fi/Fantasy/Horror movies to add.

The Omega Man: Charlton Heston survives a biological disaster only to be harassed by a terminally ill, vampire-like religious cult. This is a remake of The Last Man on Earth with Vincent Price. (“You’re freaks! You’re all FREAKS!!”) It’s much better than the original.

Logan’s Run: Mankind has an unspecified oops and society is reborn in a shopping mall-like paradise. To make it more fun, you have to kill yourself on your 30th birthday!

The Resurrected: Hard-boiled detective story based on The Case of Charles Dexter Ward. This is the best movie based on an H.P. Lovecraft story I’ve seen.

Night of the Living Dead: Great character piece about a group of people that can’t seem to work together, while zombies beat down the door. I think this one may be sci-fi. I remember hearing a radio news report in it talking about a satellite crashing before the dead got so peppy.

[This message has been edited by Nexus Capacitor (edited July 18, 2003).]

Posts: 144 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

Here's one NOT to see. Just watched The League of Extraordinary Gentlement. Ick.
Darren
Member # 1696

- posted      Profile for Darren           Edit/Delete Post 
The best science fiction TV show that nobody watched was last fall's "Firefly." It had everything -- a unique setting (think "space western" instead of "space opera"), diverse characters that actually talked and thought and acted like different people, several story arc mysteries, and dialog that was heavy on characterization and low on techno-babble.

The only thing it lacked was an audience, and a studio courageous enough to give it time to find one.

I understand that the entire series (15 episodes?) will be available on DVD this fall. Have no idea what the price will be, but if you ever see it available for rental (or in a discount bin somewhere), give it a chance.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Bene_Gesserit
Member # 1675

- posted      Profile for Bene_Gesserit   Email Bene_Gesserit         Edit/Delete Post 
Some favorites of mine and well worth a look:

1. Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964) Directed by Stanley Kubrick. An insane general starts a process to nuclear holocaust that a war room of politicians and generals frantically try to stop.

2. Cite’ des Enfants Perdus, La(1995) (The Lost children) A beautiful movie about a scientist in a surrealist society who kidnaps children to steal their dreams, hoping that they slow his aging process.

3. Metropolis (1927) Directed by Fritz Lang, There can be no understanding between the hands and the brain unless the heart acts as mediator. The Workers, led by the beautiful Maria, plan a revolt against the aloof Thinkers that dominate them in this future dystopia. Astonishing for 1927 (emphasis BG)

4. Dark City 1998, A man struggles with memories of his past, including a wife he cannot remember, in a nightmarish world with no sun and run by beings with telekinetic powers who seek the souls of humans.

5. The Life of Brian (1979) Brian is born on the original Christmas, in the stable next door. He spends his life being mistaken for a messiah.

6. Lost Horizon 1937, A plane crash delivers a group of people to the secluded land of Shangri-La -- but is it the miraculous utopia it appears to be?

7. The Incredible Shrinking Man 1957, After an exposure to a strange mist, Scott Carey begins to shrink. After facing such trials as confounded doctors and his angry cat...

Posts: 110 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jules
Member # 1658

Firefly: yeah, I'm collecting that as it gets shown on the sci fi channel here in the UK. It does have some really cool & fun characters, even if a few of them remind me a little bit too much of Buffy characters...

Logan's run: ah yes. A most excellent film. There were a few sequel novels as well - I have a copy somewhere of Logan's World, which I thought was pretty good.

Goober
Member # 506

- posted      Profile for Goober   Email Goober         Edit/Delete Post 
Now that I stop to think about it, I cant really think of as many Sci Fi/Fantasy moves that are really good as I would like to think I can think of...that sounds REALLY awkward as well.

Point is, I watch so much sci-fi/fantasy and it seems to me thats most of what I watch...yet I cant name any specifics that havent yet been mentioned.

I would say the Aliens movies then, the first two. Terminator 2 is my personal favorite movie in any category, its just the best.

I have heard good things about both Solaris films, and hope to watch either of them soon....but dont take my word for it because I havent seen them.

The 5th Element is one of the more fun movies of recent times...as is Stargate. Try the Stargate show if you want some decent Sci Fi that doesnt take itself too seriously.

Posts: 614 | Registered: May 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
"What did you just say?"

"I told him I was the great and powerful Wizard of Oz."

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Maccabeus
Member # 1369

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
Just "the great and powerful Oz". No "wizard of". It's picky, but makes the statement slightly more plausible--there could perhaps be a minor goa'uld named "Oz".
Posts: 55 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.