Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Good SciFi/Fantasty movies/TV? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Good SciFi/Fantasty movies/TV?
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe that's why the mothership opened fire...
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
MystikalRose
Member # 1710

- posted      Profile for MystikalRose           Edit/Delete Post 
"James Maxey

Apparently the genre is set in most people's minds by only a few tiny elements. Space ships = SF, horses = fantasy."

In that case would Robert Heinlein's "Glory Road" be classed as a fantasy or a SF?

Janet

Posts: 5 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that Glory Road was more of a romance novel for guys....
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
loggrad98
Member # 1724

- posted      Profile for loggrad98   Email loggrad98         Edit/Delete Post 
I did not see my favorite sci-fi/fantasy adventure....it covers all media: books, movies, TV....Highlander.

I know this is a love it or hate it kind of thing, but the premise is wonderful (even if the movies never did live up to it) and the TV series was positively adicting (despite occasional lapses in logic and flow, but that is ok since it was so much fun to watch anyway).

I am a big fan of premises, whether well-done or half-baked. It is the idea behind the actual story that gets me thinking and dreaming, and if it is not well-done, I simply think how I would have done it different (I never say better here...heh heh =).

Posts: 45 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Thinking about how you would have done something better can lead to a lot of great story ideas. Especially if you focus on the premise and not the characters or setting or other things that the author can claim you've stolen.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Khyber
Member # 1651

- posted      Profile for Khyber   Email Khyber         Edit/Delete Post 
The Lord of the Rings series thus far have been as I would have expected out of movie made after a great book... but there truly are a few scenes in the movie that really capture the book.
Posts: 46 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
jiuyen
Member # 1730

- posted      Profile for jiuyen   Email jiuyen         Edit/Delete Post 
I had to register in order to contribute to this topic, because I can't believe that my favority sci-fi/fantasy TV show didn't get mentioned: Red Dwarf in the first several seasons. The show is out of the UK.

Also, in the fantasy movie realm, Miyazaki's "Spirited Away" deserves a special place. Available in English from Disney. Japanese anime as you have never seen before.

Posts: 13 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
punahougirl84
Member # 1731

- posted      Profile for punahougirl84   Email punahougirl84         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, "Red Dwarf" is a fun show! "Good" sci-fi/fantasy was requested, so maybe no one brought up "Dr. Who" for a reason? Also a Brit sci-fi tv show, with several different incarnations as Dr. Who - decidedly odd. He has The Tardis, which could be disguised as anything but usually you see as a phone booth (British "police box") that is basically a huge "ship" on the inside, in which he travelled through time and space (I always refer to my Hondas as having "tardis technology"). I enjoyed the movie "Tron". I got sucked into watching "Total Recall" and it was worth finishing. Also, some old-time Japanese live-action sci-fi shows were fun, even if you could see the zippers on the backs of the monsters/aliens (Kikaida, Kamen Rider V3, Rainbow Man - I never saw Ultraman in Hawaii). Most of my actual favorites have been posted already, so I won't repeat.

I do wonder a little more about the definitions. I have been reading Card's book, and the one by David Gerrold, and some others, in my quest to perhaps write and publish sci-fi and/or fantasy. I thought sci-fi stories were ones that fit in our universe (what is possible - science), while fantasy stories were ones that don't fit (what is impossible - magic). So the science might be good or bad, hard or soft, not the plot but the environment, but it would still cause a story to be considered sci-fi. Fantasy would rely on "magic" - stuff happens that can't have a reason based in science. Pern could technically be sci-fi, even though it has teleporting, telepathic, flying dragons, because they resulted from genetic engineering on what was considered a lizard! But people consider those books fantasy, yes (I always had)? I guess knowing the difference matters, regarding submitting for publication, and I have a lot to learn.

Posts: 465 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.