Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Story Software

Author Topic: Story Software
punahougirl84
Member # 1731

- posted      Profile for punahougirl84   Email punahougirl84         Edit/Delete Post 
I was curious, and inspired by the other software thread...

Does anyone use story software that is specifically designed with tools to help you organize and write? I've read about software such as Dramatica Pro, Storycraft, etc., and wondered what others thought of programs like those.

If you do or don't, what do you like/not like about it? Is it a useful tool, or a waste of money? I'm in the spiral notebook, index card phase, and not feeling the need to spend a chunk of money. On the other hand, I'm quite into using my computer and love applications that help my life. Also, as a beginning creative writer, I thought something like that might make me think of things to do I would not have done otherwise...

I'm even curious about tools such as Word Menu.

Thanks

Posts: 465 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Balthasar
Member # 5399

- posted      Profile for Balthasar   Email Balthasar         Edit/Delete Post 
I have used Dramatica, and I think it is helpful up to a point. It's a lot like reading a book on how to write a novel. Contrary to what a lot people (who haven't used it, mind you) will say, it doesn't write your story for you. Rather, it asks you questions about your story and, based on your answers, asks you further questions. In that sense, it really helped me think about writing in a new way.

The downside to the program is that it wants too many answers. There's too much pre-planning involved. I know Tracy Hickman uses it, and I recall reading that he said he used it after he had finished writing his story. That seems to be a good approach, for instead of Dramatica helping you create your story, it's helping you see holes in your story.

You don't need to buy Dramatica to use it. You can download it--at least you used to be able to download it--but you won't be able to save your stuff. The easy way around this is to write your ideas down elsewhere as you work through the program.

Perhaps the biggest drawback of the program is that is presupposes a certain kind of story format. (If you use it, you'll see what I mean.) The problem here is that your bound to their philosophy of what a story is supposed to be. This isn't as bad as one might think; let's face it, too many beginning writers want to "write outside the box" without learning what the box is all about. And as the old axiom states: you have to know the rules to be able to break the rules.

I hope this helps.

Posts: 130 | Registered: Apr 2007  | Report this post to a Moderator
DiaCornier
Member # 1684

- posted      Profile for DiaCornier   Email DiaCornier         Edit/Delete Post 
Hiya - I use something called "Storylines" - its freeware, I believe I just did a search and found it that way---

But, its more like a Super-Database for all your character information & (of course) the storylines... It doesn't do much except help with the dreaded detailed synopsis/outlines (I have a problem with these, so the program was a great help).

It basically allows you to write down each plot line & sub plot line, to see how they correspond with one another ... and then you can print it out.

:>

Posts: 94 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
DiaCornier
Member # 1684

- posted      Profile for DiaCornier   Email DiaCornier         Edit/Delete Post 
PS - on my last post... Thinking about it, the program doesn't do anything that you can't do with a pen and paper, if you can draw a line... but that's probably why its free.
Posts: 94 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I use storylines as well. And yes, technically you can do much of what it does with pen and paper, buta lot of times we just don't. For me the usefulness of the tool was that it helped me force myself to sit down and plan. Also, with a computer program you can move things and change things far easier than with pen and paper. And in the planning stage of a story you could end up using reems of paper to do what a program like Storylines can do on your computer screen.
Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
TaxiDad
Member # 1723

- posted      Profile for TaxiDad   Email TaxiDad         Edit/Delete Post 
My real job is computer programming. I am currently working on a writing tool that will allow you to create an outline, character profiles, setting editor, store your favorite similes and metaphors, launch your story in MS Word for editing, and even the 19 Questions that have appeared in Writer's Digest. You will also be able to print all of this out with all kinds of sorting options.

No idea when I'll be done. I plan to market it when it is, though.

TaxiDad

Posts: 14 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
punahougirl84
Member # 1731

- posted      Profile for punahougirl84   Email punahougirl84         Edit/Delete Post 
I really appreciate the replies so far! I've downloaded Storylines 1.02 to try, and the demo for Dramatica Pro 4.0. I look forward to trying them out (when I stop procrastinating by posting to the bbs!).

TaxiDad - will your software also allow exporting of material to WordPerfect? That might be important, based on how many of us posted that we use it. Let us know when it is available, or when you need testers!!!

Looks like most of us still use either paper and index cards, or just our word processors.

JK
Member # 654

- posted      Profile for JK   Email JK         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to be quite anti-software when it came to writing. All the programs people talked about sounded like they wrote the story for you, or at least by-passed the truly creative processes and just spat out tired cliches. I'm still not sure if I'm wrong on that last count. But I'm downloading Dramatica to try as I type.

Pretty sure I'll just stick to the pencil and paper approach, though. I'm such a purist *grin*

JK

Posts: 503 | Registered: Sep 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
TaxiDad
Member # 1723

- posted      Profile for TaxiDad   Email TaxiDad         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
will your software also allow exporting of material to WordPerfect?

Well, there currently is a simple button that opens MS Word and you write from there. In effect, you separate yourself from the outline program to write. However, it may be advantageous to allow editing from within the program and then export to different formats, including WP.

Thanks for the idea!

TaxiDad

[This message has been edited by TaxiDad (edited September 10, 2003).]

Posts: 14 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
punahougirl84
Member # 1731

Hmm, ok, so far I've learned:

- the free version of StoryLines 1.02 allows you to have three lines, and the equivalent of 30 index cards. For the full version you pay $79 (download) or $99 (cd box). A very simple program, helps a bit.

- the demo for Dramatica Pro 4.0 does let you examine what it does, but does not come with the story templates, which was unexpected. It tells you up front you can't save, export, or print, but the lack of templates is awkward - I wasted time tooking for them. The program looks very detailed, but I think you need to know theory of writing to use it.

Any other suggestions, while we are at it?

JK
Member # 654

- posted      Profile for JK   Email JK         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh, definitely sticking to pencil and paper. Dramatica's poo on my HD. It does nothing that I can't do (far better, I might add) with simply pencil and paper. And I strongly disagree with its approach to writing.

Puna, I would stick with the old-fashioned approach. I currently have two A5 ring-binders full of blank paper on which I write notes as they come to me. Later, when you've got the rough shape of the story down, you can sit down with those notes, read them all over, then write the story. Or you can get a big bit of paper and link little shorthand notes so you have a one sheet reminder of where you're going while you write.

Plus, with pen and paper, you can plan or write your story anywhere. Loads of people will try and mug you if you pull out a laptop in public and start writing, planning, editting, whatever. But how many people will mug you for that A5 folder?

JK

Posts: 503 | Registered: Sep 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.