Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Should I?

Author Topic: Should I?
Xraak
Member # 1835

- posted      Profile for Xraak           Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings. I am a brand new member to this great site. I just have some questions and comments if I could take a moment of your time.

I have never written anything of length before, at least not since college, and that was over 10 years ago. I remember feeling my first love for Science Fiction after watching Star Wars at age 5 in 1977. I became less passionate about it during my high school years, although it was rekindled after bought a copy of "Enders Game" about 10 years ago. I've been an avid reader of the genre ever since.

I have lots of ideas in my head. And after reading a few posts on here about outlines I set out to do one. I couldn't believe what was coming out on my monitor. Entire worlds were being created, characters were born, and conflicts were staged.

I'm 32, and even though that's not old in the grand scheme of things, I wonder if I've showed up late for the game. Most people have probably been writing their entire lives, and I'm just starting.

I'm not looking to get published, at least that's not my goal. My goal is to satisfy this craving I have to create Science Fiction. But, to be honest, I also have a desire for people to read it and experience these worlds I'm creating in my head. I'm not expecting to be published anytime soon, if at all, but it sure would be great.

Back to the questions. Is it too late? Is it possible, with hard work, to be just starting out this late without the benefit of years of experience? Am I just being paranoid? I guess maybe I'm just looking for words of encouragement so I know it's not just a pipe dream that will never come to fruition. Maybe some of you have heard of people that are late bloomers and find their niche later in life. I guess I'm just looking for someone to say, "Hey, I didn't find my love for Science Fiction until I hit 40, so it's never too late!"

All I want to know is if it is possible to start out in your 30's, with absolutely no Science Fiction writing experience, as long as the ideas are there (hopefully good ideas).

I know it's going to be rough at first, maybe for a long time or maybe indefinately, so I'm expecting that.

So far I've found this entire message board to be helpful beyond belief. Any more advice would be great. By the way, I just ordered a copy of OSC's "How to write Science Fiction & Fantasy" from Amazon.com. I think I might order the Characters and Viewpoints book also. Thanks for your input.

If I posted this in the wrong forum then I'm sorry, I'll repost it to the proper forum.

Edit: Bad title for post. I should have called it something like "New writer needs advice". Sorry if it was confusing.

[This message has been edited by Xraak (edited December 16, 2003).]

Posts: 1 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
cvgurau
Member # 1345

- posted      Profile for cvgurau   Email cvgurau         Edit/Delete Post 
Like most things in life, it's never too late to start. Case in point: I forget her name, but I remember reading about a woman who had a great love of writing, but decided to wait until her 40th birthday before writing down word one, just because she felt that it would take that long to experience all that would be necessary to be an excellent writer. Now that's commitment.

CVG

Posts: 552 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh heh, yeah, you posted it in the wrong forum

Tolkien started his fiction writing career pretty late too, though I don't think he was in his thirties

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
You are never to old to do anything you want to do--well maybe hang gliding and rock climbing might be bad at age 80 if you'd never done it before.

I did read once long ago that publishers were reluctant to publish authors over the age of 30--I thought wow what a load of crap. The reason was supposed to be because you wouldn't have very many books left in you for them to make money.

What did the writer of that article think? That everyone who turns 35, 40, 45 etc., develops dementia? How many books did they think a publisher wants? Start at 32, take say 5 years to find your voice and develop your style--and to learn you are not the god of writing and fix the new writer mistakes. Now you are 36. Takes a year or two to find a publisher and another year to the book on the shelves--now you're 38.

You've probably written a second book after the first(worth publishing) found a home. So you have 2 books already. One book a year until --what? A bus hits you? When are you too old to write? Maybe too old for the media to flash your smiling face?

Lets say retirement at age 65? --though Tony Hillerman would cringe at that, I believe he is in his 70's. (his last book was a disappointment, so I'll say write till you are 69, just for fun.)

So you have 31 years of writing left--31 books, no wait you have the 2 already done--33 books or more.

OK enough silly math.

The simple answer is no you are not to old. LOL

Shawn

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope your not too old. I'm going to be 34 in a couple weeks and I just started a serious effort in the past year.

A few things you might want to concider, "Characters and Viewpoints" by OSC, and "Description" by Monica Wood. Read them both, that will help.

Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Should you, Xraak?

Absolutely. Just from what you've posted so far, we can tell you are articulate and you seem to think carefully before you write. You're already well on your way.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
You don't know if you're too old to start writing because you're in your thirties? Don't be ridiculous! Of course you're too old to start writing. What a crazy idea. It's common knowledge that you will never amount to anything as an author if you haven't been published by the time you're 29. Don't even try, man.

I'm kidding, of course. Why on Earth would age stop you from beng a successful writer? Even if you were old (which thirty-something isn't, by the way), why would that matter? I don't think publishers accept/reject manuscripts based on the personal traits of the writers. I was under the impression that they accept manuscripts that are good and reject manuscripts that are bad. (I'm aware that that's a very oversimplified version of what actually happens, but it helps me make my point, so I'll just twist the facts a little bit). I think if you have all these great ideas, which it sounds like you do, and you have talent as a writer, go for it. Besides, writing is one of the coolest things ever. Go for it, man.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Marianne
Member # 1546

- posted      Profile for Marianne   Email Marianne         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish I was 32 and starting to write I am 52, always wanted to write but never got serious about it until a year ago...I hope by the time I am 62 I will know what I am doing...start now, it is the right time.
Posts: 173 | Registered: Dec 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
GZ
Member # 1374

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
It’s not too late. Keep jumping in there. Read some books about writing. Read lots of good and bad fiction. Write, write, write. Rinse and repeat. Even without publication, it’s very rewarding to see it all fitting together, to see you abilities grow, and to see how your awareness of story changes. You’ll never read quite the same way again.

And you do have some experience. You’ve been reading science fiction avidly for ten years. You’ve been alive and have probably paid some attention to the world around you. These sort of things count. You know the conventions of the genre, you’ve probably got ideas about what you like in a book, and you’ve got life experiences to draw from.

I too have felt the pressure of people saying, "I’ve been writing all my life," etc. Despite the occasional dabble in my younger days, I only started being at all serious about writing two years ago when I was twenty-five. I wondered -- If I really wanted to write fiction, wouldn’t I have started years ago? But honestly, looking back, I don’t think I would have been ready yet when I was younger. Nothing against our young writers on the board, but I know I needed some more experiences, and needed to be in a different place in my life, for writing to really make sense for me. Perhaps you are also one of those people.

Reading a few good writing books at the start is a good idea, I think. They make you aware of things you probably already know from reading, but maybe haven’t consciencely thought about, so you don’t have to discover them from scratch. Reading them again after you’ve tried writing your own stuff, and read fiction thinking about the things they talk about, and you’ll pick up even more.
Both OSC books are great. A couple of other good writing books you might want to check out are Beginnings, Middles, and Ends by Nancy Kress and Creating Short Fiction by Damon Knight

Posts: 652 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I did read once long ago that publishers were reluctant to publish authors over the age of 30....The reason was supposed to be because you wouldn't have very many books left in you for them to make money.

If we were talking of artists, the money people would cheer if the artist died. Doesn't that make his work worth more?

Why doesn't it work that way with writers?

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
lindsay
Member # 1741

- posted      Profile for lindsay   Email lindsay         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with the folks above! I met someone in my early 20s who was 40-something at the time and publishing hardcover in mass market fiction and hitting the bestseller lists. She told me to look forward to being 40 because that's when a person has lived enough, seen enough, and is comfortable enough in their own skin to really *write.* So...given that advice, you young thing, get writing and living!

Posts: 87 | Registered: Sep 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
loggrad98
Member # 1724

- posted      Profile for loggrad98   Email loggrad98         Edit/Delete Post 
I know he is not a science fiction writer, but wasn't John Grisham 36 or so before he wrote his first book? He was working as a lawyer (surprise surprise) and had an itch he had to scratch. If you have that itch, start scratching; regardless of anything else, scratch that itch till it don't itch no more! (wow, that was a great sentence =P
Posts: 45 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
AndrewR
Member # 1563

- posted      Profile for AndrewR   Email AndrewR         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't start writing seriously until I was 28, and I've had a few stories published since then. So 32 is right in there in my book.

Remember--the only person who can keep you from writing is yourself.

Posts: 180 | Registered: Jan 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 1353

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
My children keep me from writing all the time, Andrew-- falling down stairs, fighting, coloring the walls. . .

Posts: 128 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick Vend
Member # 1816

- posted      Profile for Nick Vend   Email Nick Vend         Edit/Delete Post 
As creative types, we have enough people giving us enough reasons as to why what we want to do is silly, we don't need to listen to ourselves say we might be too old! These rules about what you should be and who you should be if you want to be published are usually rubbish.

I was told by a well respected published local writer once that if one really wants to be a writer, he/she should become a landlord, because as a profession it makes more money and gives one constant access to various entertaining examples of human nature. I understand why he would give that advice to budding writers, but I haven't bought my first bit of property yet. I have, however, continued to write. That's the thing! Write! Write write write!

Phew! That turned into a rant!

[This message has been edited by Nick Vend (edited December 18, 2003).]

Posts: 64 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 1353

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
That was rather tame, as rants go. . . you didn't even insult anyone. . .
Posts: 128 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.