Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Time Travel (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Time Travel
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
Christine,

You said:

quote:
While it is true that there would be some time dilation simply by walking, we have not been able to measure this effect because it is so small.

Since Survivor was talking about a hypothetical situation -- saying that if someone walked long enough, the effect of time dilation would be measurable -- I interpreted your response (coupled with your challenge to give an equation that demonstrated the effect) as being a denial of the truth of the hypothesis.

The equation that I gave showed the truth of the hypothesis: If someone walks for a long enough time, the time dilation will be measurable. That did not seem to be what you were saying.

I know that you have a science background and are fully capable of following the equations. I never meant to imply that you weren't. Survivor said I was telling you that the math meant what you were saying. I had not said any such thing, so I denied having done so.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I challenged him to give me the equation, because I believed he was implying that distance travelled is more important to the time dilation effect than velocity. I was also simply curious what the equation was.

Reading between the lines can be dangerous when someone never meant there to be anything between the lines. Anyway, I think I can see where your confusion came from, no hard feelings.

[This message has been edited by Christine (edited February 27, 2004).]

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

Looking back on that last post I think I see a potential problem that may be causing this confusion and I wanted to clarify before I get beaten to a bloody pulp.

If you walk around the world enough times you can measure a time dilation effect. I don't believe I ever said differently, though apparently there was room for confusion in what I did say. What I interpreted Survivor as having said was that this effect is more significant than if you went around the world in a jet.

Time dilation, in my mind, is T'/T

So yeah, if you walk far enough you will eventually rack up a lot of seconds, but this ratio will be constant.

Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, when I said that the time dilation effect wasn't smaller when you went slower, that was pretty easily misinterpreted.

Just like Christine saying that the dilation becoming undefined at c is correct in one sense and easily misinterpretable in another. I usually use 'undefined' for the case where both denomenator and numerator reach zero, and infinity for the case where only the denomenator approaches zero.

And I meant what I said about the distance traveled, for purposes of measuring the time dilation effect. The way we measure the effect is by starting with two clocks that share the same frame of reference, moving one of them, then moving it back and comparing it with the first.

However, my point about the movement of the Earth shouldn't be neglected. You can't use a reference FOR that is under several continously accelerating accelerations (which the surface of the Earth is under for reasons familiar to all of us). So in a sense...well, no, in every meaningful sense, you must compare two moving FORs, just one is moving more than the other relative to the reference FOR.

This is why, in practical terms, walking or flying planes doesn't make as much difference as how far you go. Now, in practical terms, it is a heck of a lot easier to get on a plane and fly several thousand miles than walking that same thousand miles. The point is that the practical difference, for operating on Earth, is how far you go, not your velocity relative to the surface of the Earth, which after all is not our reference FOR. It is impractical to use a supersonic jet when you can use a series of jets that don't even come close to being supersonic. Perhaps it isn't quite as impractical as walking (which could easily use up some poor scientist's entire working life )

I don't know whether the time dilation effect has ever been measured on a supersonic flight, I do know that it has been measured on non-supersonic flights...I'm almost positive that it hasn't been measured on the back of a walking scientist. But remember, 'walking speed' isn't 1.788 m/s (and why that instead of just 1 m/s?), it's that plus a whole bunch of other crazy speed. We aren't at the extremes of the defined curve.

This is what I'm saying.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
glogpro
Member # 1745

- posted      Profile for glogpro           Edit/Delete Post 
OK, well, if you young people are finished arguing about who said what, when, and what they meant by it all, I have something that might be of interest in the context of the original topic for this thread. On NPR today I heard something about time travel with an interview of J. Richard Gott, author of "Time Travel in Einstein's Universe" and a professor of astrophysical sciences at Princeton.

That led me to do some google research, and led to some sites that might be interesting to anyone who is thinking of writing a time-travel story. Check out:

http://www.physicscentral.com/writers/writers-02-4.html

and

http://www.science-spirit.org/articles/Articledetail.cfm?article_ID=270

Also, this site from Nova has several interesting pages.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/time/

I have to say, some of the pronouncements that have appeared already in this thread struck me as being, well, a bit over confident. One of the interesting things about these *real* authorities is how cautiuous they are.

Posts: 550 | Registered: Sep 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
Fascinating links. Thanks.
Survivor
Member # 213

I know this subject is dead, but I've been looking at the proffered equation...and I don't think we were using it right.

That equation only works for determining apparent time dilation in another FOR, it can't be used to solve a twin paradox, because it is supposed to be commutative...both FORs see the other being slowed down. I tried adjusting the use a couple of different ways...but it just won't work for showing how much a moving clock actually slows down relative to a stationary one.

Sigh , since I don't actually care to go searching for complicated math and decoding it just now...I'm not going to bother finding the correct equation for the job. And I promise next time someone posts an equation, I won't spout off about what it means until I've bothered to figure it out myself (yeah, yeah, I probably promised this last time too:rolleyes .

asherahpole
Member # 1900

- posted      Profile for asherahpole   Email asherahpole         Edit/Delete Post 
“Have you ever seen it done well? What were the rules and what was the logic? For that matter, do you think you've figured out how it should work to block the kinks??”

RE: Original post.

After reading the original post, I suspect that Christine’s questions presuppose that scientific explanations need to be correct in order to be effective verisimilitude devices in science fiction stories. I believe that is a faulty assumption, which also informs this debate about time dilation and what have you.

This entire debate seems to be irrelevant to the composition of a valid or effective SF story. What is more important? Effective story elements, or accurate science? Whether your science is highly accurate or ridiculous, it does not seem to matter when it comes to telling a good SF story. Edgar Rice Burroughs had his Carter hero mentally travel to Mars, a place nothing like the rovers Spirit and Opportunity reveal. And the flying ships were explained using the quaint 19th century notion of the ether. Bradbury’s “science” is just as bogus. On the other hand, Kim Stanley Robinson uses, I believe, fairly accurate terra-forming elements in his Martian stories. And, of course, time-travel stories are always plagued by paradox and impossibilities no matter how accurate you get the science.

We are storytellers first, and science enthusiasts second. Often the SF premise of a story is merely a device to explore a larger premise dealing with the human condition.

Also, there is a difference between creating verisimilitude in a story and offering scientific explanations, whether bogus or accurate.

[This message has been edited by asherahpole (edited February 29, 2004).]

Posts: 10 | Registered: Jan 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Well, I would dispute that time travel stories are always full of paradox, the whole point of closed loop stories is that there isn't a paradox.

One idea I find interesting is the idea of using time travel for archeology...or espionage! You wish you had bugged that street corner where that known agent talked with a half dozen unidentified persons? Send a little camera back in time, then collect it! Want to know what the paintings Botticelli burned were actually like (I bet he was planning on burning them anyway)? Whether Garner really shot the Kid? Who's really buried in Grant's tomb?

I think that closed loop time travel has a wonderful and insufficiently mined potential. Mostly we get stories where it is the surprise ending...how often do you see stories where it is the initial premise?

Christine
Member # 1646

Actually, I was drawn into the scientific debate because that was the direction the thread took and I didn't want to fight it. But actually, it's not bad science that causes me problems with time travel stories, it is the actual travel through time.

Basically, I believe that the actual travel through time is such an inherently flawed concept as to be somewhat ridiculous. I did enjoy Back to the Future, but that had little to do with the time travel. In fact, asherahpole, I would say that glossing over science is ESSENTIAL for a good scifi story, because when you try to go into too much detail the plausibility gets in the way of what might otherwise be a fun tale.

I think I've gotten all confusing, so let me try saying this a different way. There is the theory that time is a straight line, and whatever changes you might have done in the past have already happened so it doesn't matter. You can't kill Hitler before he conquers Europe because it didn't happen so it's impossible. Boy would I like a gun and a chance to prove that one wrong....it just doesn't make sense. Then there's the infinite universes theory, a little more plausible but usually implemented in a messy way, and at it's heart it, too, makes little sense.

So actually it is not the theory of HOW to perform time travel that I was interested in so much as what the RESULT of actually travelling through time is. This goes to the heart of storytelling, rather than physics, and is, in my opinion, much more interesting.

asherahpole
Member # 1900

- posted      Profile for asherahpole   Email asherahpole         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the actual way we travel through time is the mundane way in which we advance into the future, grow older.

Bottom line in this debate, however, goes something like this: Whatever you draw from science, it should work as a story premise. It should serve the story. The story should not serve the science.

I was reading a magazine dedicated to current theories in cosmology. Fascinating stuff, but I was struck by the lack of characters that plagued these cosmological "stories." Made it tough reading. As storytellers, we don't want to fall into that trap.

[This message has been edited by asherahpole (edited February 29, 2004).]

Posts: 10 | Registered: Jan 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

There were plenty of people at the time that wanted to kill Hitler, and it turned out that even though many of them made serious attempts, simple physical facts intervined to prevent the man from being killed.

One of the attempts that came closest to success was a briefcase bomb that was about two meters away from the little dictator. With horseshoes and hand grenades (and bomds), close usually counts for something, but in this case someone tripped over the briefcase and kicked it under the table. It happened to be one of those conferance tables with two wide solid legs rather than four. The blast was deflected, killing some generals, but leaving Hitler basically unharmed.

That table leg was a simple physical fact, like the existance of a self-consistent solution for every possible wormhole transit into the past. You can't use the physics behind current theories of how time travel might be possible to force a paradox.

Does this mean it's impossible? I'm not sure...but that would seem to be the case. If the mathmatics of the universe dictate that you cannot force a logical impossibility to occur...then I would guess that it would remain a physical impossibility as well as a theoretical impossibility.

I personally would consider that "gun and a chance to prove that one wrong" a probable death sentance for no chance at all of proving anything but my own inability to force the universe to do things it doesn't want to do. That doesn't mean I would refuse, necessarily. I just wouldn't "love" the offer.

quote:
Yeah, man! Good idea! Christine should go. Good idea, man!

Survivor on being told that someone has to go back and try killing Hitler in the past...after hearing Christine say she'd go.

Christine
Member # 1646

LOL....ok, I actually picked a bad starting point for that one. Hitler is too well known.

So let's try this scenario. I enter a room with a time machine in it, and I travel back in time 5 minutes to meet myself. There should therefore be 2 time machines and 2 me's in the room when I walked in. Were there? I figure I can beat those odds by not going back in time at all....then there should only be one of me so what's that other me doing there? She's an imposter! Kill her!

Anyway, that's me just poking a hole in one way of looking at time travel....that time is already set as is history and you cannot change it because any changes you may have made were already taken into account. The other problem with that theory, in case you are not convinced by the first (And many aren't, there have been plenty of stories in which people try very hard to change something and in sometimes a very funny way, they cannot), try this one: If time really worked that way then my future self would have come back in time already and showed me how to work a time machine so that, in the future, I can go back in time and show myself how to build a time machine. Heck, I'm a little greeedy, I admit it.

Survivor
Member # 213

The point isn't that you can't try, it is that the attempt is likely to be unsuccessful and very possibly fatal.

After all, time travel involves messing with quantum physics (anything that can go wrong, will, and anything can go wrong), high energy physics (Kaboom!), relativistic effects (c+me+past me=?), forces that bend space/time (*&^%!), or quite possibly any combination of the above.

At the very least, I would start my paradox attempts using...lab rats. And I'd be a very safe distance from the facility in which the experiment were being conducted.

But if the math continues to say that you can't force an impossibility, I wouldn't even try. After all, it's really just the same as the physics that say you can't fly a supersonic jet through a mountain...why would you even try it until you had a mathmatical model predicting success?

EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

Hmm. I may have to write "The Lab Rat They Sent to Kill Hitler."

sassenach
Member # 1725

- posted      Profile for sassenach   Email sassenach         Edit/Delete Post 
I love time travel books and films--for the stories. They're the quintessential "fish out of water" tales.

I don't try to figure them out or prove them scientifically, and I think there are more readers like me than not.

Diana Gabaldon's "Outlander" series does TT extremely well. As does Jack Finney.

Posts: 21 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.