Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » One POV or Two?

Author Topic: One POV or Two?
Lilamrta
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for Lilamrta   Email Lilamrta         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it more important to see events as the one main character sees them, or to see things coming that the main character is unaware of?

I'm back in the structuring phase of writing my story and I need to figure out whether I should tell the entire story (length as yet unknown, probably a shortish novel) strictly from the point of view of my main character, or if adding the viewpoint of the, oh, how should I say it, other main force in the story. If I did use both viewpoints, the main character's would be regular third person limited, and the other would be much more cinematic, perhaps in an omniscient sort of way, just showing that these characters are not who the main character thinks thinks they are. Just looking for some thoughts and direction on this.
Lila

Posts: 239 | Registered: Jun 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
Can't help you. Either decision could be right, and either decision could be wrong. Helpful, huh? Seriously, though, it really depends on the story; there's no right and wrong. Actually, you could probably make either one work well if you write it well.
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
This is one of those author call things. It's more than just knowing what the story is about, too, it's a matter of how you want to present it. For example, a murder mystery can be told strictly from the sleuth's point of view and be a very good whodunit. On the other hand, you could add in the villian's point of view from time to time, making the reader more aware of what is going on than the hero, and all of a sudden you have a suspenseful thriller. Both can be good reads. What effect do you want?

I'd read Characters and Viewpoint by OSC...most libraries will have a copy. It goes into detail on all the viewpoints and may help you decide which is right. Each has its advantages and disadvantages.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
If you use two POVs then either both should match in terms of character penetration and person, tense, length, and all that, or else they should be completely unbalanced, with one used only at chapter headings, for example.

If you use two POVs where one is a character POV and the other is cinematic or FO, and don't make it very easy for the reader to tell when the secondary, non-character POV has begun and ended (and I mean italicized and directly following every chapter break or similar full page break mark), then it will just look like sloppy POV.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Eljay
Member # 1941

- posted      Profile for Eljay   Email Eljay         Edit/Delete Post 
It really depends on the story you're telling. It is possible to show that the POV character is not seeing the others accurately, though I think that can be very challenging to do well.

I agree that it works best to balance the viewpoints, or make them very structurally distinct. (Of course, there are cases where it has been done brilliantly, but those are the very rare exception, IMO. I've seen it done badly by very experienced writers.)

I went through a major POV decision a few months ago. I'd started my novel with only one POV, third person limited. As the story grew, however, I found that it would really be richer if I added a second POV (also third person limited). I was initially very resistant, because a second viewpoint adds a LOT of complications, but it has made a huge difference.

If you add a second viewpoint, and you're already doing limited third, you're going to have to develop a distinct voice for your second viewpoint. You're going to face choices about which viewpoint to use for particular events. There are all sorts of little things you have to think about.

In the end, you're the only one who can decide how to tell the story. I'd suggest starting with just one POV. If the second is necessary, it will probably become obvious fairly quickly.

Posts: 73 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lilamrta
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for Lilamrta   Email Lilamrta         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you all for your input. I've been struggling with this story for a long time. This is the third or fourth time I've started over, so I really want to get it right this time. But it has improved each time, so all that restarting didn't go to waste. I've been trying to create an outline, a plan, so that I don't get stuck after 8000 words. Sometimes, though, I think I should just jump in and write.

Eljay, your suggestion to start with one POV and see what happens sounds pretty good. I'll have to learn to trust my instincts. That's probably the hardest part.

Posts: 239 | Registered: Jun 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.