Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Convention Advice?

Author Topic: Convention Advice?
punahougirl84
Member # 1731

- posted      Profile for punahougirl84   Email punahougirl84         Edit/Delete Post 
For those of us (at least me) who are not going to Boot Camp...

Balticon will be in Baltimore on Memorial Day Weekend. My husband is happy to watch the babies so I can go, as going to a con seems to be a recommended experience for writers in our genre. I have nothing against going!

I guess I would be a newbie - many lifetimes ago I attended one in which I was part of a sword-fighting demo (yes, SCA), and I remember nothing.

The programming is finally up, and I'm taking notes on things that sound good to go to.

What I'm asking you for is advice - what to take advantage of, what to avoid, etc. I live only about 15-20 minutes driving distance away, and with the babies at home, don't plan to stay at the hotel (plus it is costly!). I do recall the advice Kathleen gave previously about the difference in meeting publishing people at cons vs. conferences, and don't actually intend to chat anyone up in that way - this is more information gathering/testing the waters/maybe meeting some people in my shoes.

The only real bummer is I have to go alone

Thanks in advance!

Posts: 465 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Gen
Member # 1868

- posted      Profile for Gen   Email Gen         Edit/Delete Post 
Having been to cons with (1) people not interested in what I was and unwilling to strike out alone, and (2) me myself and I, I can honestly say going alone isn't bad. At least you get to see what you're interested in.

Advice: uh... go to things that look interesting. Find people who do panels well and go to panels they're on, even if they don't look as interesting, because the topics tend to drift. Check out the con suite. Introduce yourself to people, but don't randomly hug them...

You'll want to bring money to spend in the dealer's room, but not too much. If you're like me and have trouble getting through something like that without 500 new books, I highly recommend my method: start looking for one obscure out of print book. Search the dealer's stalls, but don't buy anything until you'd found it. Once you find it leave as soon as you can force yourself to. Make sure it's something really obscure-- ideally, something you won't actually find. (You laugh, but it works... )

And finally-- have fun! Are you coming to Noreascon (Worldcon) in Boston this fall? (Is anyone from Hatrack coming to Worldcon? Can we have a Hatrack meetup?)

Posts: 253 | Registered: Jan 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Thieftess
Member # 1683

- posted      Profile for Thieftess   Email Thieftess         Edit/Delete Post 
I really wanted to go to WorldCon this year, but it looks like I'm not going to be rich enough to manage it. I will, however, being going to Dragon*Con in Atlanta that weekend instead...anyone else?
Posts: 280 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Hildy9595
Member # 1489

- posted      Profile for Hildy9595   Email Hildy9595         Edit/Delete Post 
I am planning to go to at least part of Worldcon and might even make it to Balticon. Good choice on Balticon, by the way, it is known for being one of the best literary cons going.

The best plan of attack is what you're already doing: pick out the panels you want to go to in advance. Circle them in the little gridbook they'll give you, so you can keep track of times/locations throughout the day. Do try to go to some parties at night...great networking goes on there. If I do go, I'll let you know, as I can get us into any SFWA private parties.

Posts: 338 | Registered: Aug 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
punahougirl84
Member # 1731

- posted      Profile for punahougirl84   Email punahougirl84         Edit/Delete Post 
I would love to go to WorldCon, as I discovered one of my favorite authors will be there. Not sure it will happen though. And yes, books are something I can sink my money into pretty seriously, so I will take that advice to heart!

Thanks Hildy - great to know Balticon is a good choice for the right reason. If you go, I would love to hook up with you - and not just because you could get us in to parties, though that would be a great experience and I would say yes! I don't know how that works anyway, and of course the "What's the best way for a new author to break in?" panel is 10pm on Saturday.

I managed to arrange for babysitting on Friday, which is great since my husband is going to the Dick Dale concert and I was afraid I'd miss out on some of the panels that look good that day. They do really seem to have a lot of things directed for authors and writer-wanna-bees.

My e-mail is punahougirl84ATyahooDOTcom as an fyi...

Lee

[This message has been edited by punahougirl84 (edited May 21, 2004).]

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Lee, I wish I were going to Balticon (have to see about doing that next year or so), and I'd be happy to introduce you around. (I'll be going to Conduit in Salt Lake City on Memorial Day weekend, in case anyone here is interested in getting together there.)

I'm also going to Westercon (Phoenix, AZ over Fourth of July weekend), and would love to get together with any of you who will be there.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Eljay
Member # 1941

- posted      Profile for Eljay   Email Eljay         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to Balticon, probably dragging the whole family along at least part of the time. (My husband has promised to handle the kids most of the time, though, so I can really do the convention thing.) It's been over ten years since my last and only convention experience (Philcon in 93), so I don't have a lot of good advice to offer. I'd be happy to accept advice, though!

I'm really excited about some of the panels I saw on the schedule. If nothing else, I should get to meet some other wanna-be writers! I wish we were staying at the hotel, but we're also commuting (though from farther away).

I know no one and have no connections, but if you're interested in getting together with a fellow con newbie, let me know.

(And I too would love to go to WorldCon, but I'm not holding my breath.)

Gen--thanks for the advice on book buying! It's hazardous to let me into a bookstore. My husband will probably confiscate my wallet before I even get near the dealer's room!

Posts: 73 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Hildy9595
Member # 1489

The dealer's rooms are dangerous to the wallet, that's for sure. So many books, so little bookshelf space left in the house...

Punahougirl, I'll let you know if/when I'm definite. Thanks for the email addie! And of course Eljay and anyone else who is going, I'd love to meet up with you, too.

[This message has been edited by Hildy9595 (edited May 22, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by Hildy9595 (edited May 22, 2004).]

Jules
Member # 1658

- posted      Profile for Jules   Email Jules         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So many books, so little bookshelf space left in the house...

Before you know it, you'll be doing this:

http://www.fmwriters.com/community/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=37290&mesg_id=37290&listing_type=search

Posts: 626 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
punahougirl84
Member # 1731

Thank you Kathleen! And that right there proves what I've read in books, and learned from this site - sf/f people are some of the greatest for helping each other. Definitely come out next year - maybe I'll be able to do something for you!

Eljay - definitely! I plan to go on Friday and Saturday, but am not sure about the rest at this point. And if you are coming, Hildy, and anyone else, maybe we can work out a way to meet, and enjoy some panels (and dare I say shopping?) together. Or anything else. I would love to meet you in person.

I think the first panel I'd like to go to on Friday is "Research & Your Writing" at 5pm - then there is more at 6, 7, 8, and 9. Now that I have sent my story off, I feel like I really deserve to go!

Jules - when we looked at houses, we looked for library space - and have even joked about buying the townhouse next to ours so we could expand! Now we couldn't really, but the thought was there. I'm impressed that they can actually do it. We have a wall of Billy bookcases from Ikea that are wall-anchored and overflowing... we ended up spreading the wealth around the house. I also have books at my dad's house!

[This message has been edited by punahougirl84 (edited May 22, 2004).]

rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
I made a sudden decision out of nowhere. I'll be at Balticon.
Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Eljay
Member # 1941

I'm likely to be there all four days. I'm also planning to go to "Research & Your Writing" Friday. And I get to be kid-free Friday evening! My in-laws are babysitting! (I love my kids, but I can count on my fingers the number of times I've had no one to supervise since the first was born, so this is a big deal.)

I'm a little frustrated that they scheduled the "What's the best way for a new author to break in?" panel so late. I'll be commuting from PA, so that makes for quite a late night!

Still, I'm starting to feel pretty excited about Balticon! The only real downside is that I'm not likely to get any writing done all weekend. Then again, I did over 5,000 words on my novel last Saturday, so I guess I don't have to feel too guilty.

As for library space...we have NEVER had enough shelf space for all the books. There are books in every room (including the bathroom and the upstairs hall), books piled on the floor that don't fit on the shelves, at least 3 under my pillow at any given time... And yet the kids and I go to the library every week. (And yes, I too still have books at my parents' house.)

punahougirl84
Member # 1731

Yea Rick! Of course, if you are up at Hopkins it makes great sense - you are so close. And Eljay, all four days, wow! But the Washington room looks great for young kids on Saturday and Sunday if they are coming and your husband is with them (not knowing their ages but assume some are young enough for the activities there).

Maybe if all the hatrackers who know they are going want to go to that initial panel "Research and Your Writing" (5pm, Carroll room), we can plan to meet a bit earlier somewhere. The pdf schedule book is available to print - it is 6 pages. It includes a map of where the rooms are. The only dumb thing is that they split the Friday and Sunday schedules, so I cut those pages in half so I could have all of Friday on one page, and all of Sunday on one page. I'm sure we will have different things we want to do, but that is the initial panel that I think we would all be interested in, and it would be so great to meet.

I'm bummed that the new, final schedule has things conflicting that did not conflict in the temporary schedule. I know, 'temporary' but still!

I have sitters for Friday so can do that night. I can do all of Saturday. I won't make Sunday until the evening, just for two things. And on Monday there is one panel I know I should not go to: "What Makes a Person a Good Science Fiction Writer? - What is the most desirable background in education, life experience, social class, cultural background? Do good SF writers have certain traits in common?" Other than sf/f being my preferred genre (ok, read it all the time!), I suspect I have the least desirable background in all those areas! Of course, the surprise conclusion will probably be that it doesn't matter as long as you love reading it...

Hildy9595
Member # 1489

Bah! Just as I feared, every hotel room in the vicinity is sold out. That's what I get for waiting too long to make a decision.

I still want to try and get there for at least a day. And if anyone has a room that they'd like to share expenses on, please let me know.

punahougirl84
Member # 1731

I did do a search, to check on hotels - I live in Columbia, MD, which is just off 95, south of Baltimore (takes me 15-20 min to drive into Baltimore, depending on traffic).

The Hilton in Columbia says it has rooms, the rate posted was $129/night:

http://baltimore-maryland.onetravelsource.com/hotels_info/Columbia/MD/US/10202718/

In the upper right-hand corner there is a box "Refine search" where you put in the right dates.

I don't know if that helps - lots of other stuff I searched on was not available.

Lee

[This message has been edited by punahougirl84 (edited May 25, 2004).]

Eljay
Member # 1941

I may be arriving at close to the last minute for the 5 pm panel Friday - I can't leave until my husband gets home from school to take the kids, and I've got a bit of a drive.

My kids are probably too young for most of the children's activities (both under 3), though I saw a couple of things that looked promising. I'm planning all sorts of small fun things to bring along for them, too, as if we were spending a day traveling. (I view it as a test run for transit activities for our trip to Mexico this summer!) They are used to being taken everywhere, so they're likely to handle it pretty well.

I'll have to see if I can get the PDF version of the schedule - the html version is a massive pain. I didn't notice the "What makes a person a good science fiction writer?" workshop. It sounds likely to start some arguments, anyway! Science fiction people don't have strong opinions, oh, no!

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
What makes a good science fiction writer is one question, but another very important question to ask is what makes a writer who can live on what they write?

One of the answers to that question is some kind of education in business. If you don't know what you (and/or your agent and/or your editor/publisher) are doing with the business, you can make piles of money and still end up with nothing.

rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I was at Hopkins about 30 years ago, but I still have that e-mail address. I'm in NC now, so I'll be bringing my wife and both kids, although only my daughter and I will be conventioneers. And, unless something happens with an appointment I currently have Friday morning, I won't be there Friday in time for the 5pm panel. So don't look for me there. (I'll let you know if it looks like that will change.) I'll find some other way to get in touch, like posting my room number at the hotel or something.

Hildy, I got my reservations at the Wyndham (where the convention is) last night about this time. I used the internet link from the Balticon website. It's $120 a night. Because they have a block of rooms reserved for the convention, it's no surprise that it's filled up--but people cancel, too. If you keep trying, you might well get a room there. But do it on the internet link, don't use the 800 number. They'll have all those blocked rooms listed as occupied, regardless. Go here to get to the convention hotel information, and then click where it says "this link".

Oh, and of course, once I get there, I'll be staying for the entire thing.

[This message has been edited by rickfisher (edited May 25, 2004).]

Hildy9595
Member # 1489

Oh, Rickfisher, I've got potentially bad news for you. You need to check your reservation, stat, because I found the same thing...a sudden bunch of available rooms...and called them to book it. The hotel reservation agent told me that she'd been getting calls all day and that it was a screw up...the site was allowing people to register for the block even though it is, indeed, completely sold out (not just the block, the whole hotel).

So for your own sake, call them right away and make sure you really have a reservation...you might not!

rickfisher
Member # 1214

Hildy,

Thanks for the heads-up. Fortunately, I called both the national number and the hotel, and they both agree that I really have a reservation.

I noticed this morning that I couldn't book any rooms (I was just checking on non-convention-block prices, I didn't really want another room), indicating that, indeed, the entire hotel is sold out. However, it is still possible that someone might cancel. The web site says:

quote:
If you are told the hotel is full, e-mail dale@balticon.org and he will make sure.

Anyway, I hope you can find a place. Sorry I can't offer to share room/expenses with you, but the rest of my family will be filling the place up. (Well, I guess that would be somewhat iffy, anyhow, wouldn't it?)

Hildy9595
Member # 1489

LOL, Rickfisher -- I don't think either my husband or your wife would approve. I appreciate the thought, anyway

Glad you're all set. It would have stunk if you showed up only to be told, "Sorry, we double-booked."

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

So, how did Balticon go? (It was this past weekend, right?)
punahougirl84
Member # 1731

Thanks for asking! I'm SO glad I went.

Eljay, rickfisher (and his daughter), and I met at the first main writing panel on Friday. They are wonderful! We either attended panels together (having identified our preferences in advance), or separately and planned to share notes.

There was an impressive variety of panels for writers, including subjects on writing, science, publishing, etc. The presenters (authors, editors, scientists) were incredible - not just that they had worthwhile things to say, but in their patience for those inevitable audience members who either a) think they know more than the panel so argue the panel's points, b) want to impress the panel with their knowledge and go on and on before stating a question, or c) let their cell phones ring!

I was pleasantly surprised to find that I knew a lot of the publishing/writing recommendations made (from tons of reading and from reading threads here). I found the courage to speak up in a few sessions and received courteous, helpful answers (although I was laughed at when I asked about organizing research notes!). One famous writer, after I asked a question at the end of the panel, gave me her e-mail address and offered to send me some info!

Rick and I spent a large portion of time after the last panel we attended on Sunday speaking with the editor of Weird Tales, and later an asst editor. They told stories that we listened to with enjoyment, and it felt good to come away less intimidated by the idea of sending stories out - editors are real people too!

My one regret was not having time to explore the filking, the dealers' room (one short hour, during which I bought my first book by the author Guest of Honor, Lois McMaster Bujold, and am enjoying it), or some of the other events, in my desire to soak up all the resources specific to writing sf/f.

Panels (1 hour each) I attended, as a sample of what you can get for $50 or less if you go to a good-sized con:
1 - Research and Your Writing
2 - Science Fiction and Subversive Ideas
3 - Character-driven vs. Idea-driven SF (the panel didn't understand the problem - wasn't it obvious they go together?!)
4 - Creating Alien Cultures (very cool, since all the presenters came at it differently - mentioned things I would not have thought of)
5 - Personality flaws in a character and why/how they warp the weave in the story (basically, flaws are a good thing, but need to be balanced - again, some great ideas were shared about that)
6 - General Relativity for the Ambitious Amateur (didn't help me much, but at least he had hand-outs!)
7 - How Short Stories are Different to Write than Novels (I was surprised that they felt ss require less work, but they explained that I should write what I know, which would cut down on prep and research - but I don't think I'd write very good sf/f totally based on my own knowledge)
8 - The Fermi Paradox - or Who Ruined the Neighborhood? (very funny stuff, and really enjoyed Yoji Kondo/Eric Kotani - he lives nearby, and I think I should go take an aikido or judo lesson from him)
9 - Fantasy or Science Fiction? Is it possible to write both well? (what do YOU think?)
10 - World Creation in Science Fiction and Fantasy (again, some new ideas from this)
11 - Stereotypes and their place in writing genre fiction (they added archtypes to this - was educational, but almost regretted missing the "Confused at a Higher Level: The Current State of Ignorance in Time and Quantum Mechanics" which was supposedly funny, and might have been more accessible to me!)
12 - Limitations and Effects of different FTL systems on SF Stories (explored what's been done in sf - Catherine Asaro explained how she gets around the singularity issue in Primary Inversion - was cool except for some audience members)
13 - What's the best way for a new author to break in? (send me some chocolate chip cookies and I'll tell you!)
14 - Villains and Opponents (and why they can be more fun, and more difficult, to write)
15 - Writing that First Novel (doesn't seem to matter what your background is - all the panelists had different approaches)
16 - Are Short Stories 'Amateur' Products (was really about writing ss and the state of publishing ss. At first, I was one of only two audience members - ended up being 5 of us - was very personal and we got to interact more with the panelists - one lives a block from my mother-in-law!)

As you can see, I didn't waste my time, and but for conflicts there were more I would like to have attended. Since my husband hates to travel on the holidays, I might even get to go again!

I appreciate the recommendations and help from others, and do recommend that people get to a con - very friendly, helpful people in the genre!

[This message has been edited by punahougirl84 (edited June 04, 2004).]

Hildy9595
Member # 1489

Aw, Puna, I'm so glad you and the others enjoyed it and got a lot out of it. I'm very disappointed that I couldn't join you.

It's cool that you got to talk to Darrell (I'm assuming it was Darrell Schweitzer of Weird Tales). He's a very knowledgeable, if eccentric fellow. I am in his writer's group along with his wife, author Mattie Brahen and have learned quite a bit from them. In fact, all the Weird Tales folks are really, really nice and supportive.

Anyway, glad it worked out well for you. Catch you next con, I hope!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.