Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Points of view (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Points of view
Silver6
Member # 1415

- posted      Profile for Silver6   Email Silver6         Edit/Delete Post 
I suspect this discussion must have taken place at some point in the history of the forum, but I'm too lazy to check.
I know the importance of a good POV character, what he brings to the story etc.

My question is, how do POV shifts affect you?

If X was the POV character for 20 pages, and then all of a sudden we shift to Y, are you confused, do you throw the book away, do you go on reading undisturbed? If the POV character changes a lot in the course of a novel (more than once per chapter), does it bother you?

Posts: 121 | Registered: May 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
We have had this discussion before, but it has been a little while and we can certainly have it again...maybe we'll even get some new ideas.

First of all, there are no rules, but if you do something jarring, make sure it's important enough to be worth it.

Point of view shifts need to happen at a break. This is as close to a rule as you can get. You either need a double spaced break or a chapter break to shift point of view, shifting mid section, even between paragaphs, will not work.

Second, while there are some who propose a maximum limit of POV characters, my basic guideline is this: a POV character should be one we've already met in order for it not to be jarring. That is, if you start in character X's POV, and then switch to character Y, did you mention character Y in those first 20 pages? If you did, it will seriously help smooth the transition.

The longer you tell a stroy in one POV before switching, the more jarring. THe less you've mentioned the character we switch to, the more jarring. If you create a pattern (XYXYXYXYXY per chapter) and then change it abruptly, that can be jarring.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not bothered by shifts if they are done properly.

For example, Harry Turtledove's alternate history World War series easily POV shifts between several protagonists and antagonists, sometimes within the same chapter. Of course, having that many characters can be a serious drawback and I was confused at times when dealing with the lizard-like aliens' names.

Then Ben Elton's book Inconceivable comes to mind... Two protagonists that are also each other's antagonist in a way. The book is written as diary entries for each person and often switches POV after a paragraph or two. It doesn't detract from the story. In fact, it's quite cleverly done and very humorous.

So, no... I'm not bothered.

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 1619

- posted      Profile for Phanto   Email Phanto         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah...World at War. A series I ate in a single week. Good times .

Anyway, PoV shifting is all a matter of smooth transition. If you can manage it in the middle of a page, good. Or if you have to make a break, also good. Personal choice.

Posts: 697 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

Phanto, you will have to give me an example of any time that a POV transition was managed properly in the middle of a page.
HSO
Member # 2056

I know I'm not Phanto, I apologize for butting in, but I could think of someone being skitzo could easily shift POV without a break... maybe in the same paragraph. Big maybe there.

And for some reason, I'm reminded of Hitchiker's Guide's Zaphod Beeblebrox... but I cannot confirm it as this time.

Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
If you want to check out a story that uses a different POV in each chapter check out "The Lunatic Mage" by Douglas A. Van Belle. It was serialized on the e-zine Quantum Muse.

http://www.quantummuse.com/archives_fantasy.html#lunatic

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

HSO, I'm sure you meant multiple personalities disorder, not schizophrenia. A schizophrenic is of one mi nd, it just doesn't work very well.
Phanto
Member # 1619

There are many, many examples of this.

Smith looked up. He was hungry. Hopefully, the customer would be quick.

"Hello?" Jane said. "Could you help me please?"

She had to return her air conditoner and get the money back. Supper had to be bought, and while being cool would be nice, starving wouldn't.

God, why wasn't the accountant saying anything?

Smith took his time, letting the customer bask in her impatience. If she wanted to annoy him, just as he was about to leave, well...she could wait a little herself.

[This message has been edited by Phanto (edited July 19, 2004).]

HSO
Member # 2056

Christine,

I used the term "skitzo" very loosely. I'm sure most everyone would have gathered my meaning without too much trouble, as you have. Thank you, though, you're are absolutely correct.

Don't thank her! She hates you!

"No she doesn't, she's only trying to help. Now quit it, you, or it's back in the box."

Ha! You wouldn't! You're bluffing, you goit!

"Am not. Remember the last time you wanted kittens for breakfast and wouldn't take no for answer?"

Er.. yeah.

Christine
Member # 1646

Phanto, you have not given an example of a shifting point of view, you have given an example of an omniscient point of view, but very nicely.
Phanto
Member # 1619

*sigh* A pox on differing definitions! What is shifting POV, anyway?

Christine
Member # 1646

Let's define a few things, then, so we're all working with the same meanings. (Yes, I agree, I too have been frustrated with unclear definition)

First person point of view: A character tells the story using "I"

Second person point of view: The reader walks through the story or is being commanded, "You" (Most often used in instruction manuals such as cookbooks)

Third person point of view: He/she to tell the story

Third person omniscient: The narrator tells the story through no particular character's eyes, ocassionally revealing the thoughts of any character.

Third person limited: The narrator tells the story through one character's point of view, telling only what he knows and sees.

Shifting point of view: Any shift from ont point of view to another. This could be anything, including from first person to third, but it most commonly refers to a shift from one third person narrator to another third person narrator in third person limited point of view. (And it seems to have done so in this case.)

Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
So when we're talking shifting POV we're NOT talking about shifting from "character A" first person to "character B" first person?
Christine
Member # 1646

We *could* be, but it's not the deafult definition around here, and unless Silver wants to correct me, I don't believe it's what he meant. We've actually had discussions about shifting first person point of views as well. It's not as common as third.
Silver6
Member # 1415

I was talking about a shift from a 3rd-person POV to another 3rd-person POV. So I won't correct you, Christine. Erm, actually, yes, about one thing: for the record, I'm a woman (grin). I know, it's not obvious.
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
Doch, Robyn_Hood, that would definitely be a POV shift. Basically, any time we're seeing the story through one character's eyes, and it shifts to seeing it through another character's eyes (feel free to correct me, Christine, if that's not what you meant.) That's why Phanto's example wasn't a POV shift, because we weren't just seeing it through one character's POV to start with. We were getting little bits and pieces from everybody the whole time. (I suppose you could semi-omniscient POV shifts, like tell the story through three characters' eyes, but never get inside any other characters' heads, and then switch to telling the story from four other characters' POVs, without getting in the first three characters' heads, but that's just silly; you would probably end up with a highly experimental, edgy piece of crap. More power to you, though, if you can make it work.)

I certainly hope POV shifts can be done well, because I'm relying on them heavily for my current novel WIP.

For a great example of switching POVs effectively, read "Speaker For the Dead," "Xenocide," and "Children of the Mind," by OSC.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

That's what I thought. Thakns for the clarification for me As a neophyte around here it isn't always easy to pick-up on the jargon
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

quote:
(I suppose you could semi-omniscient POV shifts, like tell the story through three characters' eyes, but never get inside any other characters' heads, and then switch to telling the story from four other characters' POVs, without getting in the first three characters' heads, but that's just silly; you would probably end up with a highly experimental, edgy piece of crap. More power to you, though, if you can make it work.)

I suppose it all depends on story length. The longer the story, the more lee-way you have when it comes to POV.

In the example I cited earlier, each chapter works almost like a stand alone short story; with each chapter shifting to a different character's first person. In fact the author never uses the same first person twice. It doesn't take long to figure out that this what he is doing so it makes for an interesting read as all the pieces come together to form the bigger picture.

HSO
Member # 2056

Has anyone read Except My Life^3 by John Morressey? (The ^3 should be a three in superscript... not sure if it can be done on this forum)

Basically, we've got 4 clones. No. Three (I^3) is the narrator. But you get perspective from all four clones as they do their thing.

Here's just the tiniest bit of the start:

Since the agency opened for business, I've worked out a mutually sastifactory division of labor among myself. I^3 manage the office, I^1,2 do the legwork, and I^4 take care of the deep thinking. So far, the system works.

Heh. The whole story reads this way and it's quite pleasing. There are subtle POV shifts here and there, but I^3 is the main character throughout. Great story...

Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

Sounds interesting. I'll have to look for that. I've stalled in my reading of Dracula and am looking for something.
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
> Second person point of view: The reader
> walks through the story or is being
> commanded, "You" (Most often used in
> instruction manuals such as cookbooks)

Or "choose your own adventure" books.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kickle
Member # 1934

- posted      Profile for Kickle   Email Kickle         Edit/Delete Post 
Wetwilly gave some excellent examples to check out- I'd like to add one more Stephen King's Eyes of the Dragon. This book is great to use to study the 3rd person limited with POV shifts because some of the shifts last only a sentence or two. Each of these shifts is a seperate chapter.You can really see how the switching POVs change the story's pace and how each POV is not just different eyes of a character , but also a different personality and voice.
Posts: 397 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a great POV shift in Ender's Game mid-chapter, mid-page, no breaks. It's when Ender is being graduated and they come for him while Bean is with him.

It starts in Ender's POV and when they take him away, OSC lets the 'camera' stay with Bean and we're in Bean's POV. It's really smooth.

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting, Mary, I never noticed that and I've read Ender's Game at least half-a-dozen times (I'm sure it's actually been more than that). Just goes to show that OSC must have done it really smoothly. I'll have to look for that.
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
He does the same thing when Bean sleeps on Ender's floor after being assigned to form his special toon.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmm. Good stuff.

Mind of I ask a question?

The most common criticim (and probably deservedly so) of my current work is that I have too many POV shifts and that it is confusing. From my POV :-) this early part of the novel is all introduction and background anyway, and each POV shift and the information gained thereby is just a means to set the stage before the main story line starts.

So, where do I go from here? Would it make sense to expand each of the POV scenes into a chapter? At present, they're each just a page or so long.

Is there an acceptable artifice to tell the reader what I'm trying to do without being too obvious or interfering about it?

I am sadly confused... but that's OK. It's getting my readers confused that bothers me. Any suggestions?

Mike

[This message has been edited by mikemunsil (edited July 19, 2004).]

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
What Card does (and what other people have done on occasion, sometimes even by accident) is to go from 3PLO to cinematic--in effect, stop looking in anybody's head. After awhile the reader no longer feels so attached to that individual, and the author can start to delve into the thoughts of the second individual. It's actually not hard--but I wouldn't recommend it until after you've already taken both characters' POVs on previous occasions.

One time when it might be appropriate to go into the POV of a character who hasn't been mentioned before, even late in the book, is if no one else in the scene has been mentioned before, either. Granted, this is an unusual situation, but it can happen. It is rather jarring if you have someone new, watching and thinking about an old familiar character who has had lots of POV coverage before.

mikemunsil--how many POV characters have you got? Do you have breaks between the sections? And, most importantly: If it's just background, why don't you cut it altogether? It sounds like information that you need to know, but probably not the reader (or at least not in the detail you're giving it). I doubt very much that you'd be well-served by expanding chapters intended for background.

Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 1619

OSC is a master of PoV.
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
There's this thing called "signposting" which lets the reader know, subtly, that you're going to shift POV. The idea is that you use your POV character to sort of 'hand-off' the focus of the scene to the other. This is a rough example, but you'll get the idea.

quote:
Marie felt the breath suck out of her body and her arms fell lifeless to her sides. She dropped to the ground, struggling for breath as the old man began to fight Wukung.
The curve vanished from his spine; where he had appeared thin and wizened, he now seemed skeletal. As he fought, he shook himself and a ghastly white skeleton in rich, embroidered robes faced the Monkey King.

Kennedy knelt by his sister. “Marie? Marie? What’s wrong?”

Words would not come. She tried to shake her head to tell him that everything was wrong. Her arms seemed glued to her sides and it felt as if her bones were melting away inside. She groaned as she looked past Kennedy to the fight. He turned to see what she stared at.

Wukung was tired. Kennedy could see that trying to get past Pa Chieh had worn him out, and the Demon took full advantage of this. Kennedy looked for Pa Chieh to see if he could help, but he was still struggling with the cloth and had worked his way farther from the group.

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver6
Member # 1415

Personally I'm not that bothered by POV shifts, but I know some people are. If you are deep under the skin of someone else, then if we pull out it's bothersome.

I get more concerned with the story arcs than with the POVs: I don't mind getting the POV of someone who is in the same subplot as someone else (hell, it's a welcome change of narrator).
But I mind more the prospect of departing from that subplot entirely and getting the POV of someone who is embroiled in something else entirely.

I don't know if I've been clear...To take an example, I don't mind getting the POV of the captain of an invading army, and then that of the mayor of the city they're besieging, but I do mind if the POV shifts to that of a priest who's hundreds of miles from there and who has nothing to with the subplot of the siege.

In my WIP I keep taking the POV of whoever is the most convenient for the scene I'm writing...I've had one reader complain about that...

Jules
Member # 1658

- posted      Profile for Jules   Email Jules         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder what people here make of the POV style used by Weis & Hickman in the Dragonlance series?

Posts: 626 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

mikemunsil....In answer to your question. What you've done has been done before. What ends up happening is that I don't know who's who for quite some time. I am assuming by your description (and please correct me if I'm wrong) that you're doing a characters 1-x storyline where each takes turn in POV, probably throughout the book, and you start off by slipping into each one's POV wherever he or she may be. (Could be on separate ends of the country or the galaxy.) Eventually, the plot ties these characters together.

I have to be honest, this formula drives me nuts. It is often 1'3 to halfway through the book before I've got a handle on everyone and everything that's going on. Occassionally, when it's done poorly enough, I have to reread parts of it to keep it all straight. But occassionally, particularly in world disaster books, this method makes quite a bit of sense.

The trick is to make each character memorable. If you're just talking about some guy doing what he always does and that's not very interesting, then I will have forgotten him by the time you come around to him again, no matter how long you spent on him in the first place. In that way, it may be better to just do a page. But something memorable, some trait that may even be stereotypical that you can attribute to each character so we can hold him or her in our heads until we can learn who they are for real.

Another thing to keep in mind is that by doing it this way it could not hurt to repeat important information that you've given. I would do it subtly, having the character dwell on something that he or she has dwelled on in the past, but in this way when we finally get a handle on what's going on we don't have to turn back to page 1 and start over.

mike
Member # 2096

- posted      Profile for mike   Email mike         Edit/Delete Post 
For another great example of POV being used as a writing technique (rather than just an exposition convenience), (re)read chapter one of Ender's Shadow. OSC starts out in Poke's head, introducing Bean through her POV. After a few pages of that, including some dialogue between the two, he shifts to Bean's POV. It works very well.

Card discusses the evolution of the 1st chapter that brought him to the final working version in Uncle Orson's Writing Class (here).

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
>>mikemunsil--how many POV characters have you got?<<

lessee, there's:

the little nomad girl Alessa
Marta and Helmut (scruffy sorts)
Tabard, the leader of the City Guard
The Doctores, elder and younger

>>Do you have breaks between the sections?<<

Yes, but I write very compactly, so all this is presented within 10 pages.

>>And, most importantly: If it's just background, why don't you cut it altogether?<<

Ouch! But yes, that's an option. However, in retrospect, I see that the one thing I have tying all these disparate POV/characters together, is the sequence of events that brings them all into one place at a crucial time; the Market Hall, where together they make the decisions that set all the rest of the events in motion.

Perhaps if I bring that aspect out more it will serve to reduce the confusion?

Thanks so much for the comments and questions!!

Mike

mikemunsil
Member # 2109

Christine

Thanks for the comments. I often find myself in the same place, "Ok, guy, just WHEN are you going to stop introducing characters and start the story!!", and I am chagrined that I am guilty of the same thing.

About making the characters memorable, I really have no way to judge that. Is this character memorable?

"Her companion was startling, at first, in the physical beauty that showed through the dirt. Helmut could have been a god, from the waist up, and if his inner spirit had matched even that half he would have commanded armies, owned lands, and inspired fear. As it was he inspired only contempt in those who viewed him now. For if ever a man could have overcome the deformity of the twisted, stunted legs that bore him, surely the man of that face would encounter life head on and demand respect, even from his enemies. But the man who crouched at Marta's side, trembling, was a thief. He stole hope from all who looked at him and saw the groveling wretch he was. He stole dreams from the eyes of the young and brave memories from the old, for he was a man who feared above all; feared life and living."

Mike

mikemunsil
Member # 2109

MaryRobinette

Thank you also for the tip on signposting. I appreciate it.

I'm going to look hard at what I wrote to see if I can make that work.

If it doesn;t work, of course, it'll just be due to my lack of skill, not that it isn't the correct technique at the right time.

And that's the most humble I can be for today. Any more and I'll have to puke. ;-)

Thanks again.

Mike

Christine
Member # 1646

The character you describe does seem memorable, but the passage is not from his POV.
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

Ya know, you're right! Then why am I getting so much comment re POV? Because that passage is the poster child for what people don't like about the WIP. Actually, I think I'm writing from the omniscient POV (is that spelled correctly?)!

I guess I'm just introducing too many characters too quickly?

I have a problem with writing too compactly, 'cause most of my writing over the years has been technical writing. I guess I tend to rush things.

mikemunsil
Member # 2109

And I think this conversation is getting too far off topic and thus I will retire from it and just listen and learn instead.
Lullaby Lady
Member # 1840

- posted      Profile for Lullaby Lady   Email Lullaby Lady         Edit/Delete Post 
Christine,

Thanks for writing out the break-down of the different POVs. I've been reading "Redwall" aloud to my kids, and could not, for the life of me, figure out how it was okay for the author to switch POVs so often! (And I kept hearing Survivor's voice in my head saying "POV! POV!" over and over again... )

So now I know it's written in 3rd person omni. Whew! Now I can just enjoy the story! (Which is great fun, by the way...)

Posts: 212 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

LOL...I'm glad I could help.

Omni is not my favorite point of view, but it works for many stories. Around here, I've noticed that POV is always assumed to be 3rd limited unless the author says otherwise. It has been annoying sometimes in F&F.

Survivor
Member # 213

Yeah, FO needs to be signposted. This would be true even if 3PLO weren't considered the "default" POV mode.

The FO narrator must establish very early on the degree of omniscience and the character of omniscience. If you read well written FO, usually it doesn't start out in the heads of any of the characters, it starts out with a clearly omniscient rather than "cinematic" exposition. The difference is that an omniscient opening is telling us things that we wouldn't be able to see (and that none of the characters can see) were we there.

That's one reason I'm very quick to discourage people from writing in FO if they get POV comments. Good FO is obviously FO right from the start.

rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And I kept hearing Survivor's voice in my head saying "POV! POV!" over and over again...
That's very interesting. Have you ever heard Survivor's voice?

Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Alias
Member # 1645

- posted      Profile for Alias           Edit/Delete Post 
I use astericks to indicate a POV shift.

Example:

....and then Tom saw his friend no more.

Eric gzed out the window perplexed ...

etc.

[This message has been edited by Alias (edited July 21, 2004).]

Posts: 295 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

All voices that chant "POV! POV!" in your head are my voice.
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
If any of you have read STARTIDE RISING by David Brin, you have seen an example of a kind of multiple point-of-view introduction that didn't work for me (though the book won the Hugo <shrug> ).

Brin spent the first half of the book (as I recall it) introducing a whole cast of characters, giving one chapter to each of them. He did manage to arrange the order so that it helped advance the overall plot of the story, but I found it frustrating because I'd start to know one character and he'd end that chapter and move onto a new character.

It wasn't until I was over half-way through the book before I began to care about any of it (this was when I still made myself finish everything I started reading).

Mike Munsil, your description of your story made me think of this.

I actually had the opportunity to tell David Brin about my frustration (and he was very gracious about it). His next book in the series, UPLIFT WAR, had a whole cast of characters again, but he spent more time on each of them before introducing the next one as a point-of-view character, and I thought it worked much better. (I don't know whether he incorporated my suggestions or not, but I like to think he did.)

I would recommend the same thing to anyone who intends to use a large group of point-of-view characters in a story.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

Thanks for the insight, Kathleen.

As I already know that is one of my WIP's weaknesses, I'll get started working on it before I submit it to my group. Hopefully we'll ACTUALLY get started submitting one of these days.

As a result of all the discussion on this topic, I'll be paying extra attention to POV as I review other's work. Not to be negative, but to learn.

Thanks All!

Lullaby Lady
Member # 1840

- posted      Profile for Lullaby Lady   Email Lullaby Lady         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, yes! I've created voices for all of you in my head! Kathleen's is deep and sultry, Christine's is youthful, Survivor's can be menacing or kind, and Rick, yours is usually gravel-y (how do you spell that, anyway?!) and gruff. Sometimes the noise gets so overwhelming, I have to go offline...

And, Survivor, I agree that all voices that say "POV" belong to you!

Posts: 212 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, remind me to do my "deep and sultry" voice if we ever talk on the phone.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.