Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Points of view (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Points of view
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
That's so hot.
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
And all voices in your head that gibber about rats and tell you to vote for SAM belong to my brother...
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
I’ve only had time to scan here and there of late so I’ve not followed too much too closely, and this is probably a ‘duh’ question, but what is FO? Faulty Omniscient?

Christine had it right from the beginning: “First of all, there are no rules.” There is a lot of confusion as to definitions of POV because of the gradations within it. The best list (meaning the one I subscribe to ) is from Fiction Writer’s Workshop by Josip Novakovich, with an addition to the limited omniscient category from Jesse Lee Kercheval in Building Fiction, which addresses the confusion factor:

Under the heading THIRD PERSON are:
THIRD OMNISCIENT – author jumps from head to head with authorial intrusion (essayistic explanations of the world)
THIRD LIMITED, which comes in three varieties:
Third Subjective – access to one character’s thoughts and feelings with no authorial intrusion
Third Objective – observe one character without accessing thoughts and feelings with no authorial intrusion
Third Limited Omniscient (or Third Flexible, since LO is a contradiction in terms) – combines the subjective and the objective, ie., we can both see the character from the outside and have access to his thoughts and feelings with authorial intrusion
Kercheval’s caveat: “Technically…refers to any viewpoint in which the author is using a less-than-complete range of omniscient powers, but…doesn’t specify exactly which powers the author gives up….usually means the author has kept a restricted authorial voice to be used for description or simple narration, along with the ability to go deeply into one or more of his characters’ minds.”
THIRD MULTIPLE – author jumps from head to head but without authorial intrusions; basically an alternation of two or more third person subjective POVs
OBJECTIVE (THEATRICAL) – favors no particular character, no thought access of any character, no authorial intrusions

Note that the difference between omniscient and multiple is the presence or absence of authorial intrusion, and that the limited varieties of third take us inside a character’s head, wholly outside a character’s head, or a combination of the two but buttressed with some authorial leeway.

Also note that within Kercheval's caveat is a third person multiple, but with authorial intrusion of a sort, as opposed to a true third person multiple which has no authorial intrusion. This, to me, is the most flexible and comfortable category.

A POV shift is not necessarily evil, depending on what POV the writer is using. As Christine also pointed out, we too often assume a third person limited (usually subjective) POV and critique from that mistaken angle. But, it’s a natural assumption since it’s the most popularly used – if you don’t count Kercheval’s caveat.

[This message has been edited by Kolona (edited July 22, 2004).]

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
FO = Full Omniscient (I think)
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
Lullaby Lady, do I remember correctly, that you're a singer or otherwise musically talented? I'm wondering if that's why you've assigned 'voices' to posters here; because it seems more natural to assign a mental picture rather than a voice.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 1619

- posted      Profile for Phanto   Email Phanto         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooooh! What voice do I have?
Posts: 697 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
shadowynd
Member # 2077

- posted      Profile for shadowynd   Email shadowynd         Edit/Delete Post 
Uh oh, now you've started something! We're all going to want to know our "voices", Lullaby Lady! *G*

Susan

Posts: 350 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lullaby Lady
Member # 1840

- posted      Profile for Lullaby Lady   Email Lullaby Lady         Edit/Delete Post 
What have I started?!

Survivor: LOL! And I don't even know your brother!

Kathleen, are you telling me I'm WRONG?

Kolona, You are a very insightful person-- I had not thought about that correlation! Your voice is crisp and concise, with a touch of mischief.

Phanto, your voice depends on if you're being nice, or naughty! (See my description of Survivor.)

Susan has a clear, quiet voice, yet sweeter than a hushed whisper...

Okay. I'm shutting up on this topic! (She heard a huge sigh of relief, and ducked out of the room before the rotten cabbages flew.)

~L.L.

Posts: 212 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 1619

- posted      Profile for Phanto   Email Phanto         Edit/Delete Post 
Naughty? I'm never naughty! *whimpers* How could you ever say that! And I would never use any sort of cruel, emotional blackmail--not even now .
Posts: 697 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.