Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Another newbie

Author Topic: Another newbie
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

- posted      Profile for Jeraliey   Email Jeraliey         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi there! I'm a college senior (major: analytic philosophy) who's completely new to the entire fiction-writing thing. I can churn out a philosophy paper or a lab report just fine, but I've only recently gathered up the courage to actually start WRITING the stories I've been playing around with for the last couple of years. I'm more familiar with science fiction than fantasy. I've discovered that I really don't know what I'm doing, and don't know how to improve. Basically, my writing style (if I even have one) is awkward, stilted, and not very interesting. I think my ideas could be compelling if I could just articulate them competently, but as it stands, reading my work is a chore even for me. I've never had the opportunity to take any creative writing classes, so I don't know what I should be looking for or how I can do better. Does anyone have any advice for a new writer? Exercises? Pearls of wisdom? Help! I love writing too much to suck so badly at it!
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Siena
Member # 2146

- posted      Profile for Siena           Edit/Delete Post 
Hello! Welcome! I'm new, too. Everybody's been very nice.

What I've found to be VERY helpul is "Uncle Orson's Writing Class." You'll find it in a link above. OSC has such great practical advice. It's answered a lot of questions of mine. I'd suggest reading all of them. They're fun and interesting reads...at least to writers!

I also like his two books on writing. How to Write Science Fiction and Fantasy and Character and Viewpoint. I'm sure there are other good books out there on the topic and help sites.. but those are my favorites.

-Siena

Posts: 17 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
Remember, in the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. While you may feel crippled when trying to put on paper what you see in your head, you do have an advantage. You can see it, even if what you see is still internal. Don't lose sight of that. I believe that no author can perfectly communicate his or her unique vision to everyone, precisely because of its uniqueness. But you can at least paint pictures of it. At first your pictures may look like kindergarten art, and people will ask if it is a dog or your Aunt Mary, but with repeated attempts, the dog looks more and more like a dog, and eventually people can tell at a glance that it is a greyhound. All that to say, practice practice practice. Don't be discouraged if your writing is clunky; rather, view each page as another step up the infinite ladder to perfection. It will get better.
Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's something you can try for practice:

Start with a single sentence. Make it the best darn sentence you've ever written: Powerful, evocative, and beautiful. Work extra hard to make it that way. Take as long as you need. Make that sentence fly, sing, and tell its own story all by itself.

Then, do a second sentence just like the first -- it doesn't have to be related to the former, but it wouldn't hurt to make it so.

Once you've got a few dozen sentences out of the way, focus on writing the best darn paragraph in the world!

After that, do a whole whole scene. Don't make it huge, just 4 or 5 paragraphs, with every sentence just lovely and perfect and how it is supposed to be in the grand order of the universe.

What you're aiming for is to find the best words to use for the maximum effect. You're also trying acheive using the least amount of words to say the most.

Don't worry about a whole story at first. This isn't your goal. Your goal is to maximize your potential at writing powerful sentences -- sort of like a first or second grader learning to write their first simple sentences. [My wife says everything starts with an onion. She's referring to cooking, of course. But in your case, your "onion" is the sentence.]

When you're comfortable at writing some really good one-liners and paragraphs, then you'll notice that you're no longer stilted and your sentences flow like an ocean current, strong and swift.

A second thing to try is to copy another author. Write their sentences out just as they did. Find out what makes it work. Then, rewrite their sentences using your own words.

Keep in mind, all of this is just like practicing scales on a piano. It's boring and tedious, but you will learn a lot from it and you'll get really, really good in the process.

Or, you can just ignore all of this. Just one man's opinion.

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Gen
Member # 1868

- posted      Profile for Gen   Email Gen         Edit/Delete Post 
I think what you can do (beyond taking the other advice here, of course ) is keep writing. Regular writing is the only thing that leads to the fluency of, well, regular writing. You'd be amazed how much more natural the flow becomes after a practice novel or two.

And welcome to the boards!

Posts: 253 | Registered: Jan 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
goatboy
Member # 2062

- posted      Profile for goatboy   Email goatboy         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll agree with Gen, practice makes perfect.
Posts: 497 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the boards!

One more thing...

From this point on, every author you read becomes your teacher. From this point on, you will pay close attention to what it is about published works that got them published. From this point on, you will pay closer attention to the language that makes those works successful.

I also suggest picking up a complete piece of trash once in a while, just to teach yourself how NOT to write good fiction. Not only is it educational, it's encouraging. You tend to think, "If this guy/chick can get this tripe published, I can do it too!"

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
Ywo things.

Write compulsively. Writing skills are like muscles, you have to work them if you want them to grow.

Read compulsively. Don't just read one thing (sci-fi, philosophy, biographies, contemporary fiction, whatever it may be). Read EVERYTHING, and pay attention to how it's written. Reading "How to Write" books can't hurt, but in my opinion it's much more helpful to read other well-written books and study them.

And be patient. Those writing muscles don't grow overnight. It may feel like your not improving at all from one day to the next, but then you look at a story you wrote a year ago and think, "Oh man, that sucks. I can't believe I used to suck so bad." That's a happy thought, because it means you're getting better.

[This message has been edited by wetwilly (edited August 07, 2004).]

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
punahougirl84
Member # 1731

- posted      Profile for punahougirl84   Email punahougirl84         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome!

I posted a response to Siena on the "Making a Living" thread which should have some helpful hints for you.

Read and write. A lot. Others have said it, but it bears repeating until you realize that most of the books and advice you get will be telling you the same thing.

It doesn't matter if what you write is not good to you. Yet. Write what you can, revise, and then get someone to look at it (or several someones on the F&F forum). Other views will help you focus on what your needs are as a writer.

There are many books on how to write in general, and how to write in our genre (sf/f). OSC's have been mentioned - I too have them. There are also many sites with info, such as the Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers of America site, in their section on writing as a craft:

http://www.sfwa.org/writing/

and Holly Lisle's site has a wealth of articles and workshops and help listed on the right of the following page:

http://www.hollylisle.com/fm/Articles/index.html

and you can find a lot more with a simple Google search. These two might be good places to start.

I am taking my 6th creative writing class on-line (started my first one a year ago), and know my writing has improved.

You really do know a lot about writing if you've done a lot of reading. The trick is to figure it out consciously, then at some point hopefully it will become unconscious - a habit of mind and fingers.

Good luck!

Lee

Posts: 465 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome aboard. I'll add one other piece of advice that you'll start reading over and over. Finish a story, write it all the way from beginning to end, and then worry about making it sound good.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome!!

I have to say that the folks on this board are the most helpful and opinionated bunch I know, and I like 'em that way! They're not afraid to argue at the drop of a word, to give praise when it is due, or to puncture your balloon wih a well-sharpened quip.

Good on 'em, and good on you for finding your way here! It's a great place to be a newbie.

Now, go write, young entity, go write!!

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 1619

- posted      Profile for Phanto   Email Phanto         Edit/Delete Post 
Fantastic idea, HSO, and one that I shall use myself.
Posts: 697 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

This is awesome, folks! Thanks for the advice; please keep it coming! Your encouragement is very heartening as well! I really like your idea, HSO, and I'll definitely try it. The websites are great (I actually found SFWA myself earlier this summer, and spent a good number of hours reading through the articles), and I did like OSC's books on the craft. I also was impressed by Stephen King's _On Writing_, if anyone has stumbled across it. Do you have any suggestions about the kinds of things I should be looking for when I read? And how do I apply those things to the writing process? Again, thanks for the lovely welcome!
Phanto
Member # 1619

- posted      Profile for Phanto   Email Phanto         Edit/Delete Post 
One point is you might want to use more pargraphing. Particullarly when you introduce a new idea.

Post something in the fragments sections, and we'll all gang up and critique it ^^.

Posts: 697 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
TheoPhileo
Member # 1914

- posted      Profile for TheoPhileo   Email TheoPhileo         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome, Jeraliey!

The best advice, of course, has been repeated a thousand times, not just here, but in every good book on writing out there. Write a lot. Read a lot. Those are really the two most important things you can do.

I've been writing just over a year, and I now cringe at anything I wrote last summer [though, sadly, I thought it was brilliant at the time], and I suppose I'll feel the same way next summer looking back on what I wrote today. But I know I'm improving rapidly.

Two books I would also strongly suggest reading (with, I'm sure, the support of most everyone else here): Characters & Viewpoint by Orson Scott Card, and On Writing by Stephen King.

EDIT: I just realized that post above was a second post by you, and you have already read On Writing. Good for you

[This message has been edited by TheoPhileo (edited August 07, 2004).]

Posts: 292 | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Jeraliey.

Listen: all the above advice is good. But the fact is that I don't think your writing is awkward and stilted at all. If you think your stories suffer from those defects, then either the problem lies in your storytelling, or else you're trying to write in a writerly manner that differs from the way you write when you post on this thread. If the latter is the case, then just cut it out. Write simply, and it'll flow better.

If it's the storytelling, on the other hand, then just stick around, read these posts, participate over on Fragments & Feedback. You'll pick up a lot.

[This message has been edited by rickfisher (edited August 07, 2004).]

Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
shadowynd
Member # 2077

- posted      Profile for shadowynd   Email shadowynd         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome! I feel strange welcoming other newcomers, as I'm still rather new to Hatrack myself.

Jeraliey, why don't you post 13 lines from something you've written and let the wonderful folk here take a look and give you some pointers? Let us help you with ways to improve your writing.

It need not necessarily be the first 13 lines of a piece. In this case, you would not be asking us to judge your opening hook, but rather to look at your writing style overall. If it isn't the first 13, let us know that, and what you want us to critique (writing style), and post it on the Fragments and Feedback (F&F) board.

Susan

Posts: 350 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

Okey dokey, I've posted 13 lines from my first short story in F&F. It's actually a finished story (at least, as finished as it can be after a first draft + one revision), so if you want to see the whole thing, let me know! I welcome any and all feedback! Rip it apart!

Just make sure you tell me how I can put it back together

I think my problem might be more in the storytelling camp, because I usually try to write like I talk (hopefully with slightly better grammar). If that's not the case, however, please let me know! Thanks again to everyone for being so supportive! I'm really glad I found this site!

Jeraliey
Member # 2147

Ooh, this is fun. I'm not a "new member" anymore. Hee hee.
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
I've just read your story, and I can honestly say that you should be giving us advice.

Nothing wrong with your writing... Nothing at all.

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

::blush::

I'm glad you liked it.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Just for the heck of it, I'm going to add to the advice with a piece of my own:

Besides reading and writing a lot, be sure to take opportunities to critique. When it comes to improving your writing, it truly is better to give than to receive.

When you receive feedback on a story, you are only receiving help on that particular story, though you may be able to carry what you receive over to other things you write.

When you give feedback on a story, you are giving yourself the opportunity to actually use the things you've learned in your writing and reading, and by using them, you begin to better understand them and are better able to apply them to your own work.

Giving feedback, because it allows you to apply hands-on the things you've only been reading about in the how-to-write books, can be the most useful thing you can get out of a writing workshop.

And that's why we have the Fragments and Feedback area--to let you apply what you learn here in the open discussions and in your other reading.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.