Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » If I have your story...

Author Topic: If I have your story...
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
I just got some really great news today--about two hours ago now--but it is turning my life upside down. I've just been asked to join the cast of Lazytown, a new show for Nickelodeon. The catch? I leave on Monday.

So, if I have your story and owe you a review, um, I've just gotten a wee bit busy. Things are frantic enough that I'm taking the lazy way out and posting general messages like this to tell people that I'm not ignoring them because I dislike them. I'm just going to Iceland. On Monday.

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Fantastic! But don't get lost... expect to hear some good tales when you return. Perhaps another episode of "Trapped in..." ?

Iceland sounds good right now to someone in Texas, in August. Can I carry your bags?

[This message has been edited by mikemunsil (edited August 12, 2004).]

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! That's so neat! How long will you be in iceland?
Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
babylonfreek
Member # 2097

- posted      Profile for babylonfreek   Email babylonfreek         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh wow, that's great! Kudos to you! I hope you have a lot of fun with it, and I am happy for you. Don't worry about us poor struggling hatrack writers. We'll do fine without you for a while...

Wait...

No...

DON'T GO! *sob*

kidding.

Seriously, this is great. Have fun with it.

JR

Posts: 83 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
TruHero
Member # 1766

- posted      Profile for TruHero   Email TruHero         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool! Just remember to pack your Hatrack Utility Belt. You may need to chop a dangling participle, catch a run-on sentance, or fight a straying POV. If you get into any trouble, we will make ready the PENMANSHIP and throw together a rescue crew.

Most of all, have as much fun as is humanly possible. -BA-

Posts: 471 | Registered: Sep 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
Must stop procrastinating...

I'll be gone for five months, but I'll have email access. Once I'm settled in, I should resurface, but if I don't, well, you'll know why.

http://www.lazytown.com

Well, I'm off to get fingerprinted!

Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
Why you little...Oh wait, you don't have anything of mine

Have a great time, enjoy Iceland, become more famous, and don't forget your Hatrack utility belt and blade o' words

The continuing adventures of MaryRobinette Trapped In...

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
babylonfreek
Member # 2097

- posted      Profile for babylonfreek   Email babylonfreek         Edit/Delete Post 
I still don't have my Hatrack Utility Belt lost in the mail?
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, guys! How about if we just go ahead and do an episode of "Trapped in Reykjavík" (starring MaryRobinette) anyway, whether she's online or not! Then we can put her in all kinds of [italics]interesting[/italics] situations and if she's too busy to rebut, well, so much the better!

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
What an opportunity. Wish I had cable so I could see the show. Alas, we are poor backwards folk--no DSL, no Cable, no laptops!

Have fun. We'll survive without you somehow. <sniff>

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!

No cable, so I won't be able to watch, but I wish you well and hope you avoid thieves, missed connections, and psychotic alien cats on your way to Iceland.

Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 1619

- posted      Profile for Phanto   Email Phanto         Edit/Delete Post 
Mary, I've seen you around for several months now. And we'll be worse off with you gone...

but have fun! Enjoy yourself! (And make tons of the hard stuff :P)

Posts: 697 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Hildy9595
Member # 1489

- posted      Profile for Hildy9595   Email Hildy9595         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, a great opportunity with what looks like a terrific show. Congrats to you! My little one and I will definitely be tuning in, so let us know when you first air.
Posts: 338 | Registered: Aug 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
punahougirl84
Member # 1731

- posted      Profile for punahougirl84   Email punahougirl84         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats! I've been seeing the trailers - I'm so curious what your role will be...

Does your hubby get to go to? Will his job let him?

And why, to do a show for Nickelodeon, must you go to Iceland?????

Sending best wishes,
Lee

Posts: 465 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
TruHero
Member # 1766

- posted      Profile for TruHero   Email TruHero         Edit/Delete Post 
If you happen to see Bjork over there, tell her hello. And ask her what was up with that swan dress at the music awards a couple of years ago. Oh, and tell her to stop beating up the press and photographers.
Sorry, she's the only link to Iceland I know. Well, Vinnie Vincent, but nobody knows who he is.

ps. That guy on the website is really flexible, I'd stay clear of him, if I were you. But, "Hey, nice puppets!"

Posts: 471 | Registered: Sep 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Well I'll give you the Advice Crocodile Dundee gave me.

Don't kill anything unless you intend to eat it.

Have fun and eat well.

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

- posted      Profile for Doc Brown   Email Doc Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
Take it easy, MaryRobinette.

But in a place called Lazytown, that's probably all you can do . . .

Posts: 976 | Registered: May 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

- posted      Profile for Doc Brown   Email Doc Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
PS: I promise to watch, even though I have no children and I just turned 40. I love Nickelodeon.
Posts: 976 | Registered: May 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, Iceland, land of...ice. Er, and Icelanders. Among other things.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
My dear Mrs. Kowal,

I understand that one of the volcanoes on Iceland contains a passage that leads to the center of the earth. Please be sure to visit it while you're there, and send me a postcard.

Sincerely,
Mr. Fisher

Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
'I'm leaving for Iceland.' I've heard that one before. No, wait. I haven't. God's best to you, Mary, in this new endeavor.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
Even though I'm new to the forum, I have already come to appreciate your wit and wisdom. I hope you have time to keep writing, whether we get to see it or not, but above all I'm excited for you. My brother-in-law loves Iceland, and spends a lot of time there. He even bought Icelandic ponies and had them shipped to Scotland, which is where he lives. Not that that is actually relevant or anything.

I guess it's like the syndrome where people always say things like "Oh, you're from Sydney. Do you know my Aunt Mabel who moved there in '82?"

Of course, sometimes that works. I was in Edmonton, Alberta one time and met a guy who was born in the same hospital as me, on the same day, in Colorado. Go figure.

Anyways, back to the topic at hand, God bless you and best of luck!
Rachel

Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
goatboy
Member # 2062

- posted      Profile for goatboy   Email goatboy         Edit/Delete Post 
Have Fun, Mary. We will expect to see the occasional story surface from you. Sounds like you're about to get a whole lot of new story ideas.
Posts: 497 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

Wow! I can feel the love even as I run around packing things. I don't want people to make to big a deal about me leaving. They have high speed wireless in the studio, so I'll definitely be back; I just don't know how long it will take me with jet-lag to get back to a point where I can write meaningful reviews.

I was in such a tizzy yesterday that it did sound like a farewell. In answer to some questions: I think the show is airing soon. I'm coming in as a mid-season replacement and I'll be what's called a Second. When a puppet needs more than one performer, then you add a second. Which means that I'll be working arms and legs, acting as a the assistant for the lead puppeteer. I don't know which character I'll be assigned to, but I'll let you know.

In the fall, CBS is supposed to pick it up for Saturday mornings.

My husband does not get to go. On the other hand, he works at a winery so I'll be gone during harvest and crush when I'm usually a wine widow anyway. This will not make it any easier, except to rationalize. (Oh, Lee. My husband is Rob Kowal and he says you might remember the underground Punahou paper called "The Village Mute")

Why Iceland? It's an Icelandic company that sold the show to Nickelodeon.

Thanks for all your support. I actually meant it when I said I could feel the love. I logged on to check email, swung by Hatrack and saw 22 posts on this topic. Every one of them gave me a big smile.

shadowynd
Member # 2077

- posted      Profile for shadowynd   Email shadowynd         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, don't forget to visit the Icelandic Phallological Museum in Reykjavik. As of May 1999, they had specimens from nearly every species living in Iceland or the surrounding waters, lacking only one whale species. They had an elderly ah... organ donor.. promised for Man, so I'd imagine they have that by now. Find out if they ever got the last whale species!

I uh.. won't go so far as to tell you to take pics to share! *g*

Congrats on the job and have a *wonderful* time in Iceland. It really isn't all ice, you know. That's Greenland. Iceland is actually pretty and green. Go figure.

*rubs hands in glee, already planning the first post of "MaryRobinette Trapped In... (What city did you say you were going to? Is it indeed Reykjavik?), to be posted early Monday morning. Unless someone beats me to it. *VBG*

Be safe, have fun!

Susan

Posts: 350 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
babylonfreek
Member # 2097

Greenland was called that as part of one of the very first bits of false advertising. The King of Denmark wanted people to move to the new colony. Surprise! Return trip not included.

Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, the climate was much warmer back then, it really was green. Scientists have been arguing over why it got so warm (some outside of the relevent fields still argue that it didn't get all that warm) for a long time.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
RFLong
Member # 1923

- posted      Profile for RFLong           Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mary

all the best in Iceland. Wow, you're only one letter away from me

Speaking of crits owed... I'll be writing it up today and sending it on - hopefully it reaches you before you go! Sorry about the delay. I don't have so valid an reason as going to Iceland.

Looking forward to hearing from you when you get a chance to resurface. We have Nikelodeon, so the 3 (and soon to be 4) of us will all be watching!

We'll miss you around here. Talk to you soon
Ruth

Posts: 284 | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.