Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » ezines

Author Topic: ezines
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a bit curious about ezines.

Does anyone submit to them? Is it worth it? I would think that some of them might have more reference value than others, but would it be relevant when submitting to a real publisher?

Also, after looking at a couple, they don't exactly explain anything about the rights of a story. It would be first publication I assume, but does the author keep the rights?

Not that it is important, I am just curious about how they fit (or not) into the world of writing.

LDS

Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Balthasar
Member # 5399

- posted      Profile for Balthasar   Email Balthasar         Edit/Delete Post 
Since any idiot--i.e., a person who has no editorial or writing experience who nonetheless can get a website up an running--can start an ezine, my own rule is that I only submit to those ezines that pay pro rates, such as SCIFICTION, unless, of course, I have it from a reputable source that they're publishing quality stuff, such as the people who put out CHANGING DESTINES (or something like that).

Now I know some of you around here have gotten your stories published in those ezines I have swiped off my table, but please remember that I have swiped them off my table . . . not your table. I'm not intentionally trying to offend anyone or demean anyone's work.

And remember, I'm a snob.

[This message has been edited by Balthasar (edited August 19, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by Balthasar (edited August 19, 2004).]

Posts: 130 | Registered: Apr 2007  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
This may sound stupid, but is there a difference between an ezine and a webzine? I first thought of the things Balthasar mentioned, but I thought those were webzines and I thought an ezine was a publication sent out through e-mail.

In any case, I'm sort of with Balthasar on this one. There are some reputable ones out there, but my basic sense is that I go based on word of mouth and pay rates. SCIFICTION, of course, is just about the highest paying market out there (print or web). Strange Horizons also pays pro rates and has some good stuff. Abyss and Apex fall just shy of pro rates but they pay pretty well and it's a competitive market. I submit to those thre on a regular basis. There are a few others I submit to regularly, but I basically judge each one based on pay rates, what I think of their stuff, and word of mouth. Since this is how I rate print magazines, I guess it's not that much different.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
Balthasar makes a point, anyone can start an e-zine. However, not all of them pay. Some pay very little, some pay a little more, some don't pay at all.

I don't have much experience with them, basically there is only one that I read, it is also the only one I have ever submitted to. I actually found it through a link on a publishers webpage, but I don't know if that is any indication, but it's good enough for me .

Before I submit anything, anywhere, I like to read what is already available through the publisher. If I like what they're putting out and feel it matches my style, I'll try submitting.

The zine I submitted to had a really good set of submission guidelines and FAQs which outline exactly what rights they were using and the limitations of them. They even warn that if you try selling your work after they publish it, it will be a re-print which usually pays a lower rate.

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Gen
Member # 1868

- posted      Profile for Gen   Email Gen         Edit/Delete Post 
I sub to those Christine and Balthasar mentioned, plus Ideomancer and Fortean Bureau, both of which have been very professional and nice and pay semipro, not that I've had reason to learn of that last . Personally, I'm more of the "if it doesn't stick at pro or major semi I probably don't want it in print just yet" school of thought, but then I'm probably more of a novel person as a writer-- I write short stories, but mentally I look at it as an adjunct to the current novel, which is maybe not how a short writer should look at things. Maybe once I get a novel in what I consider submittable form I'll start taking short story subs more seriously....

And of course, there are markets both physically in print and listed in the Writer's Market that are still sketchy deluxe. I think caution, word of mouth, rates, etc are all good ways to look into any potential market to sub to.

Posts: 253 | Registered: Jan 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, so it is pretty much like I expected. You have good ones, that are rare, and everyone else.

But how do some of these places make the money they are paying the authors? Do people pay for the issues?

Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Balthasar
Member # 5399

- posted      Profile for Balthasar   Email Balthasar         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know for sure, but I remember reading that the founders of the print magazine Black Gate were able to come out of the gates on the level they did because of a substantial financial gift. I don't know all of the details, unfortunately.

But I do think you have to subscribe to some webzines. I think SCIFICTION is like that.

Posts: 130 | Registered: Apr 2007  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
SCIFICTION is sponsored by Sci-Fi channel so they're considered part of the marketing for the network.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.