Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » HUB Disbelief Suspenders (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: HUB Disbelief Suspenders
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
I must be odd.

I love science fiction and fantasy, horror and thrillers, basically all types of speculative fiction. Yet I am very easily thrown off by impossibilities that do not seem to fit into the stated parameters of any fictional universe.

I guess I am too analytical about my flights of fancy: I like to know how the universe works. It can be a completely impossible universe according to the laws of physics as we know them, but it still has to have some sort of internal governance, and stick to it.

I'll believe water flows uphill if you show it happening all over the place as a normal everyday thing, for example.

But what gets me is lack of consistency in said universes.

A great example of this is the Indiana Jones movies. They had rather witty scripts and fun ideas. My HUB suspenders dealt just fine with the concept of there really being a holy grail, for example.

But what steamed my shorts was in the areas that were treated as normal to the world we live in:

In real life, there is no such thing as a sealed subterranean vault with billions of snakes in it. For one thing, they'd starve to death. For another, they'd run out of air. What would they eat? How would they have light?

Now I know that can be nit-picky, but the characters clearly stated that the tombs had been sealed for thousands of years; therefore the snakes could not exist within that framework.

Another good example along the same lines: in any sealed chamber that has no way to circulate air, the air goes bad over time. When opened, the chamber would violently expel all sorts of noxious gases, and would not be safe to enter until it had been thoroughly vented. Again, the movie showed that chambers were sealed and unopened for many centuries.

Thus, my Suspenders snapped.

Another example is from LOTR. Most of the movie I handled just fine, but one glaring error throws me out of the fictional world each and every time I watch "The Fellowship of the Ring." When Frodo wakes up in Rivendell there is a scene where he stands at a balcony overlooking the area. The balcony is at his waist.

But he's a hobbit. And the room and bed and everything else about where he was, was elf-sized. What elf would want a knee-high balcony?

If there were indications that the room he stayed in was hobbit-sized, I would have accepted the balcony. But since there were none, my Suspenders snapped again.

Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

- posted      Profile for Jeraliey   Email Jeraliey         Edit/Delete Post 
WHOA! I never noticed the LOTR thing!
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
They never said that the Well of Souls had been hermetically sealed off for thousands of years. And Indiana follows the snakes to find a way out, so the plot hinges on the fact that the snakes have access to the outside. As for underground chambers under burning deserts that don't have easy access for humans, they do tend to get full of snakes. They even got it right by showing more snakes coming in through the holes in the wall when the sun came up.

So I have to disagree with you on that one.

As for elf psychology, why do elves want any of the things they want?

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, you may be right about the snakes, although I still wonder what they all ate. But the hermetically sealed chamber did appear a couple of times throughout the trilogy, just maybe not that particular place.

The Mummy movies had the same problem with sealed chambers. And another glaring error in the Mummy was the scarabs. In the prologue, it said that what's-his-face was cursed with this horrible death where scarabs ate him alive very slowly over time, yet every time you see the same scarabs later in the movie they eat people in about five seconds flat. I wouldn't have had a problem if the scarabs had also made short work of our anti-hero, but that wasn't how they were portrayed at the beginning.

Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Well, ordinarily the scarabs would have polished him off in no time flat, but because there was a curse in effect...the ordinary course of events was not followed (having already defined "ordinary" as "scarabs eat people alive").

I don't recall a single case of a hermetically sealed chamber in the entire Indiana Jones trilogy. I don't think that the words "hermetically sealed" are even used at all.

Snakes in a desert eat at night (mostly) then crawl back down into some nice, dark, inaccessable chamber or other to digest their meal slowly over a period of several days/weeks before eating again. So there is a small inaccuracy in the fact that Salah sees the floor moving...most of the snakes would just be lying about rather than moving (of course, once they started dropping lit torches down there the snakes would become a bit more active).

Also, Jones squirts some flammible liquid on a bunch of snakes and lights them on fire, but we never see any burnt, dead looking snakes. I guess those particular snakes were simply vaporized.

I personally think that there is a point at which you cross the line between trying to watch the movie and trying to spot "errors" (which often as not turn out not to be errors at all). I mean, people watch the moon landings and get all worked up over the supposed "errors".

Whitney
Member # 2176

- posted      Profile for Whitney   Email Whitney         Edit/Delete Post 
I think hermetically sealed chamber was implyed in the movie, rather than stated, by virtue of the fact that all this air came whooshing out when they opened the crypt for the first time. "If the top doesn't pop!"
Posts: 66 | Registered: Sep 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jules
Member # 1658

- posted      Profile for Jules   Email Jules         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't believe we're analysing George Lucas to this degree. The air coming out was probably there 'cause he thought it'd be cool. I doubt it was supposed to imply anything.
Posts: 626 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

It was a Speilburg movie, wasn't it?

The air didn't whoosh either, it came out in sort of a spooky moan (presumably of supernatural origin, this being the "Well of Souls", after all).

Okay, so I have a bit of a...um, a metaphysical plausibility issue with that one, but at least it was consistent with the way supernatural forces and events were portrayed in the rest of the movie.

"Don't look, Marion. Keep your eyes shut!"

Jules
Member # 1658

- posted      Profile for Jules   Email Jules         Edit/Delete Post 
Was it? One of them overrated directors anyway.

Edit: according to IMDB.org, Lucas wrote Raiders of the Lost Ark and Spielberg directed it, so I wasn't entirely wrong.

[This message has been edited by Jules (edited September 22, 2004).]

Posts: 626 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
cicerocat
Member # 2138

- posted      Profile for cicerocat   Email cicerocat         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I liked The Postman a lot better than Waterworld because I think it did a better job of showing how the world came to be in its current state. I don't know as I liked the ending much, it just seemed like it moved too quickly. But I suppose since it took me more than two hours to lose my disbelief, and then for only five or so minutes, I can still say I like the movie

I'm also a fan of Waterworld. Postman wasn't as good--as a movie. It was great as a novel. I couldn't put it down. Though I do question how people can have that many horses, in the movie or book (for some reason, I recall it being more of a problem in movie for me). I can't imagine many survived the disaster in the first place.

Cya,
CC

Posts: 57 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

I think that would depend on the disaster. I never saw the whole movie, but from what I saw the disaster must have mostly affected only urban areas.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.