Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » What's so great about Zombies? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What's so great about Zombies?
shadowynd
Member # 2077

- posted      Profile for shadowynd   Email shadowynd         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL!! Gotcha! But you know, it actually *could* be a valid arguement. I would want to know how one could be "mostly dead" vs alive vs completely dead. But then, that's the nature of the undead, yes? *g*

For the undead-philes here, do any undead need to breathe?

Susan

Posts: 350 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
punahougirl84
Member # 1731

- posted      Profile for punahougirl84   Email punahougirl84         Edit/Delete Post 
EJS quotes The Princess Bride! Quick, single women, he might still be available...

What's so great about zombies? They are funny! I skimmed all the messages, and think people missed out on mentioning the movie "An American Werewolf in London" - because of the werewolf's magical nature, people he kills become zombies.

Funny zombies. Zombies with a sense of humor. Well, at least that is how I remember the best friend of the guy who gets turned into a zombie by the werewolf who turned him into a werewolf. Got it? Ok, some of the humor is visual (gross, but funny). I avoid reading and watching horror, but this one I would recommend.

Really. Oh, and maybe they should be termed the "animate dead" - they are totally dead, but they can talk, walk, and do the Rubber Duckie.

"Southpark" used them too - hilarious.

[This message has been edited by punahougirl84 (edited September 28, 2004).]

Posts: 465 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
They weren't zombies, merely cursed ghosts. Zombies (like all forms of undead) have a physical body (however magical its animation may be).

It is the continued connection of the body itself to some animating force that makes these creatures non-dead (or undead, as the more common term would put it). The term refers to the corporeal body itself, not to any incorporeal elements like a ghost or spirit (which is presumed to survive death in most cases anyway, and has its own terminology already).

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
shadowynd
Member # 2077

- posted      Profile for shadowynd   Email shadowynd         Edit/Delete Post 
Any good stories around with more uncommon types of undead? Ghouls, ghasts, etc? I'm a vampire fan myself, but these days vampires are just (pardon the pun) done to death! Ghosts are also pretty common, and we've been exploring zombies in this thread. How about some unusual undead types?

Susan

Posts: 350 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Well, there's ye olde barrow wight, which is basically a non-mummified mummy guarding his non-Egyptian tomb. I would count them as mummies, myself.

Let's see, undead types tend to be classed by their motives, behavior, and physical decomposition path, right? So really you can just generate your own undead spec and call it whatever you like, I should think.

Drinks blood and doesn't decay much=vampires. Eats flesh of the living and decays horribly=zombies. Eats flesh of the dead and decays backwards=ghouls. Defends tomb against robbers and decays naturally=mummies. What about "seeks vengence and decays artfully" ala The Crow? Or how about "continues to live normal life but decays normally" which we occasionally see? There's the old "frets about having never been baptized but never decays either" thing. Oooh! the "interior bits replaced by robotic machine, does not decay unless the outer bits are 'killed'" thing. I like those myself.

EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
What about a dead body that's been preserved in amber, then animated by a Wiccan?

I guess you'd call that Amberzombie & Witch.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
Ha-ha.

Could the Borg be classed as pseudo-zombies? I know they aren't dead, but the sickly grey colour of their skin almost makes it appear as though they're decomposing and they are always out looking for new brains to devour, uh, I mean assimilate. Also, they are controlled by an evil queen.

(Okay, I know they are actually cyborgs and merely drones, but Survivor's description of the various undead made me think of this )

[This message has been edited by Robyn_Hood (edited September 30, 2004).]

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Hildy9595
Member # 1489

- posted      Profile for Hildy9595   Email Hildy9595         Edit/Delete Post 
"I guess you'd call that Amberzombie & Witch."

To which I say, "BWAH!" Love it!

I read a great short story by Richard Matheson about a teenage ghoul girl. I don't remember the name of the story, but she was Deidre and she rose from the grave to eat people. She got herself a job at the local morgue in order to chow down, only to be caught by a co-worker who threatened to turn her in. She gets out of it by breaking up her own body and lying on a slab, so that when the cops come, it appears the co-worker murdered her. It was dark and funny, and pretty unique, since the ghoul herself looked like a normal, teenaged girl when she chose to.

Posts: 338 | Registered: Aug 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Goober
Member # 506

- posted      Profile for Goober   Email Goober         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd definately count The Borg as Star Trek's answer to the zombie ideals. They're just technozombies, in way.

The borg represent the loss of individuality, zombies represent the loss of humanity. Very similar ideas, being you can still look like a human but you are shorn of all your human characteristics, and thusly become a threat to other humans.

We humans are very protective of our individualism, it seems.

Posts: 614 | Registered: May 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
NewsBys
Member # 1950

- posted      Profile for NewsBys   Email NewsBys         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool Hildy,

I love Richard Matheson's short stories, but think I missed that one. He wrote a lot of undead stuff. If you want to read about major undead action, check out Matheson's - I am Legend. Also included in my version of I am Legend is is a story about "radioactive reanimated corpses".

Posts: 579 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Yeah, plus they shamble around and make funny noises...um, no offense intended to anyone here
DeepShadow
Member # 2182

- posted      Profile for DeepShadow   Email DeepShadow         Edit/Delete Post 
First, not all zombies eat the flesh of the living. Second, one term that has been used for the 'Crow' type of undead (comes back for revenge) is 'Revenant,' though IIRC that may just be a term for any reanimated corpse.

The problem with classification is that it almost always leaves someone out. For example, Varney the Vampire of the old penny dreadfuls decayed quite a bit.

What was this about ghouls decaying backwards?

Oh, and IMO the term for a destroyed undead is 're-dead.'

Finally, as to the Borg, IMO they've been altered over time to become more like undead, but I'd compare them more to vampires that zombies. After all, they assimilate you now using two prongs injected into the neck, and the queen is a sensual being as depicted in [u]First Contact.[/u]

[This message has been edited by DeepShadow (edited October 01, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by DeepShadow (edited October 01, 2004).]

Posts: 38 | Registered: Sep 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Well, I guess that decay mechanisms do vary quite a bit. The thing about ghouls is that typically, they are portrayed as starting out very decayed and sort of moving towards a less decrepit condition by virtue of eating other dead bodies. But they don't usually un decay, they get grosser and all, just not in the juicy, soft way that zombies get grosser. Like, the ghoul is getting...um, healthier and stronger, just not in any sense that makes them less disgusting. Of course, there are exceptions.
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
Technically a Zombi is a dead body that has been brought back to life by some supernatural force.

There can be no such thing as a techno-zombi unless it is animated by a supernatural force. But it can be called zombi-like if it acts like a zombi.

Premise:
If we take a human as part body, part mind and part spirit, (spirit being the quickening element, that which moves and animates and responds to intent ), what is a zombie?
Clearly it is a body and spirit without mind.
Other forms of 'zombi' therefore could be body and mind without spirit (vampire?) and spirit and mind without body (ghost?), so long as there has been some form of supernatural agency involved in their creation.

It is also possible to break a being down into its most basic parts, perhaps it is just a spirit, (an apparition doomed to replay events over and over again in order to play-out some unresolved intent) or mind (an example of an overmind type entity able to reason and be self-aware) or just plain body (manifestation of physical elements).

In the overlap between the three big areas there could also be beings of twilight, not quite mind, but not quite spirit or body either, something transitioning from one to another. Like a poltergeist. You have all read about poltergeists that progress from making noise, to moving things, to making breathy voices to slapping people and pulling the sheets off beds then finally appearing. It is a being in transit.

So lets say someone could take a fleshly body, prepare it with his clever arts, then offer it up 'for rent' to any passing entity to use at its will. The practitioner may retain ownership of the body and the right to pull the plug on the possessive being's lease to ensure it remains compliant. You kill the body and the spirit just goes back to his 'landlord' and gets a new one, a better one, one that fits better.

What sort of rent would he charge? What price would the entity be willing to pay? What could he get the 'zombi' to do? What could stop him?

The threat I see from zombis is not the zombi itself but what it signifies, that there is a practitioner who has mastered his art and turned to achieve his own ends.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited October 12, 2004).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course, "zombi" is the Italian plural of "zombo."

Which leads me to Zombo.com. (Be sure you have your computer's sound turned on.)

NewsBys
Member # 1950

- posted      Profile for NewsBys   Email NewsBys         Edit/Delete Post 
That is a facinating story idea hoptoad. It certainly is an interesting question. Are you planning to write it up? If so, I would love to read whatever you come up with.
Posts: 579 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
EricJamesStone

LOL, how did you ever find that? Did you listen all the way to the end?

Hoptoad

Great idea. Let mw know when you write something using it!

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

Someone gave me a link to Zombo.com about five years ago, and it basically hasn't changed in all that time (except the links at the end may be different.)
Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
Good gosh, EJS. That link is a trip.

Hoptoad, I third mike and NewsBys's motion. I'd love to read a story based on that idea.

[edited for the sake of inclusion]

[This message has been edited by Keeley (edited October 13, 2004).]

Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

:sigh: When Eric posts a link and tells people to make sure their sound is on....

Anyway, I'll post the "all clear" on Zombo.com for now. But I can't be held responsible if you try to get T-shirts and stuff from them.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.