Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Introduce yourself! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Introduce yourself!
Phanto
Member # 1619

- posted      Profile for Phanto   Email Phanto         Edit/Delete Post 
We seem to be having a huge flood of new posters, and while many of them are going to leave in a month or so, hopefully we'll get some permanent additions ^^.

Anyway, introduce yourself! Tell us who you are, why you write, and so on. Also, feel free to reintroduce yourself if you're an old foggie like me^^.

(Yes, I know we have old copies of this thread, but new people deserve a new thread.)

Posts: 697 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
and in case you hadn't noticed, Phanto is an old fogie. me i'm just a old stogie.
Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 1619

You? Hah! You're young as those cats that used to go swimming down by the lake...*sighs and stares into space*

Yes...those were the cats, and those were the days...

djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. Phanto's such an old fogie he even forgot to introduce HIMSELF!

Alzheimer's time, eh, old man? And mike's right behind him.

Howdy, y'all. They call me Dakota 'round here. Has nothing to do with the South or North states. It's just the name of my truck. OK. Actually it's hubby's truck.

I'm a career mom (meaning being a mom is my career), who hopes to retire someday and devote more time to being a writer. Until then I just pretend to be a writer (particularly since I'm yet to be published).

WARNING!! SHAMELESS PLUG AHEAD!!

I'm also the "administrator" of the monthly Rewrite Challenge around here. Y'all ought to check it out, if you haven't already, by clicking on the thread entitled "An Invitation to All" on Fragments and Feedback. You might have to scroll down a bit to find it. Or, I could just be computer literate and publish the link!

http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/forum/Forum11/HTML/000527.html

Wow! That was easy!

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
dpatridge
Member # 2208

- posted      Profile for dpatridge   Email dpatridge         Edit/Delete Post 
hehe, these are always fun... and i think i'm going to make it even more enjoyable, at least for me...

Ah, so ye've come to hear me tell of the young Patridge lad, have ye? I must forewarn ye, it is not much a tale to be told.

A truly young lad, he is of 19 winters, he gets much into whatsoever he gets into...

yea, a computer geek and a book worm. There is no figuring out which one exactly has the greater portion of the lads interest...

he cares not a whit for sports, or so claims, but in truth he enjoys hiking, biking, and swimming upon occasion... and to the lads thinking, dodge-ball is the best game known to man!

hmmm... think i'll skip out on the whole physical description thing, i think those are rather useless anyways

hehe, so what ya'll think of my story-teller description of myself?

EDIT: i should add that i'm not much of a critiquer, so please don't get upset with me if i seem to ask for a lot of critiques without doing any critiquing back... i try, and as i get more comfortable here i may (hopefully) start to do more

[This message has been edited by dpatridge (edited November 05, 2004).]

Posts: 477 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Well I'm Pyre Dynasty, Pyre because I can light anything on fire,(and am a little morbid at times.) And Dynasty because I love history, (and seem to create families instead of single chars.)

Here I stand, I can be no other.

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
AKJeri
Member # 2207

- posted      Profile for AKJeri   Email AKJeri         Edit/Delete Post 
Well... I've been lurking for a while but haven't posted yet. I'm trying to save myself for my writing.

I'm a lifelong reader of SF&F. I read quickly and voraciously; my den is better stocked with paperbacks than many used bookstores. My preference is for hard SF and speculative fiction with a twilight zone twist. I especially enjoy short stories and novellas.

I recently turned 40, I'm married, female, have two teen sons, and am an IT project manager. Many of my project plans qualify as science fiction. I have many years of experience in technical writing, which I do quickly and well but don't find very exciting.

My goal is to teach myself the craft of writing fiction by studying, writing, learning from others who are a little further down that path, and then writing some more. I'm focusing on short stories and novellas.

I look forward to participating in reading and critiquing, and will eventually post some of my own writing for review.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

- posted      Profile for Silver3   Email Silver3         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate that part...I feel like I'm rambling about details that possibly interest no-one but me. :-)
I'm 21, female, going on 22 rather quickly, studying for the equivalent of an engineering master in Paris. I read voraciously, with an emphasis on fantasy, history and science fiction.
Oh, yes, sometimes I write a few short stories and novels, too...<grin>

Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
RunningBish
Member # 2210

- posted      Profile for RunningBish   Email RunningBish         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, my name is Tim, I've been hanging around the Fragments and Feedback forum for a while.

I'm nineteen, freshly graduated from high school and am reading and writing voraciously in order to feel the time between now and my LDS mission.

My tastes tend toward more of the classical contempories, Hemmingway Steinbeck, but I also enjoy SF, Historical fiction and a bit of fantasy.

I have a novel that is very near completion which a few publishing houses have expressed an interest in, but I am currently taking a break from that in order to participate in Nanowrimo, which I have found very enjoyable.

Posts: 5 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Michaelpfs
Member # 2209

- posted      Profile for Michaelpfs   Email Michaelpfs         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad this thread is here, I've been hoping to get to know a few of you. My name is Mike. I'm a Jr. Hgh School writing teacher. I enjoy teaching writing and helping young people develop thier ideas and gain confidence in thier abilities. My job is very rewarding in that I get to see kids emerge from thier shells, figure out how to use thier voices, and begin to appreciate the craft of writing. I try to do things differenly for my kids and make writing less of a chore and more exciting and engaging. So far I believe that it works. I think my love of writing rubs off on them.
I am published, but it's been a while and I would like to do it again, but more important to me, three of my students have now been published as well.
On the personal side, I'm 30, live in the midwest, and my wife and I are both fanatical readers and sports freaks. We have no kids of our own, the 142 at school are enough for now.

[This message has been edited by Michaelpfs (edited November 05, 2004).]

Posts: 22 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
J
Member # 2197

- posted      Profile for J   Email J         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a 26 year old intellectual property lawyer from the Midwest. Most days I spend all day writing about new science and old law (or old science and new law, depending on the case).

Then I come home, eat dinner with my wife, and retreat to my den to write for pleasure. But then I got this crazy idea that maybe I could maybe make money on my pleasure writing. The jury's still out on that notion, but it has helped me write more consistently and it is what compelled me to find this forum.

I should add that the two best pieces of advice about writing come from Ernest Hemingway. And like Hemingway,I only follow one of them:

1) Never talk about writing.
2) Always do what you said you'd do when you're drunk. It'll teach you to keep your mouth shut (and give you some good stories).
[This message has been edited by J (edited November 05, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by J (edited November 05, 2004).]

Posts: 683 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Whitney
Member # 2176

- posted      Profile for Whitney   Email Whitney         Edit/Delete Post 
An aside before I introduce myself - Michael that is so great in your choice of occupation and love thereof. My husband has plans to become a secondary education teacher but I can't quite seem to get him to register for school. I think its the fear of success. Good for you!!

Anyway, I'm a 28 yo mom-to-be who has been a fanatical reader of fantasy since my older sister read us Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe when I was little. Didn't help that oldest brother was a serious Lord-of-the-Rings-file in the late 70s. Speculative Fiction and Fleetwood Mac run in my blood. Right now I'm incubating but I hope to be able to fit some time for my writing before baby comes (because I know I'll have no time after that) and maybe even submit my first 13 lines on the Feedback forum. I love fantasy, but also have dabbled in soft sci-fi and a little romance. I want to grow up to be published someday.

[This message has been edited by Whitney (edited November 05, 2004).]

Posts: 66 | Registered: Sep 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm too old to think of myself as young and too young to think of myself as old. I've got a husband (I fed him once and haven't been able to get rid of him since ) and kids and somehow manage to find time to write.

Why do I write? Because if I don't, I turn into a vicious hell hound in a matter of days. So, in order to keep my family safe, I write a little every day.

At the moment, I'm working on the rough draft of a novel in addition to joining in on Dakota's Challenge and occasionally reviewing stuff in F&F. But the novel keeps sucking up more and more of my thoughts, so I probably won't be seen much for the next few months (at least).

However, I'm still here. Just thought y'all should know.

Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
MrClean
Member # 1958

- posted      Profile for MrClean           Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, this seems like a good time to come out of hiding. Been lurking for almost a year! I have been participating in a writers group for most of this year so time has been limited. I was suprised how much time it took but I loved the experience. the group has taken some time off so I thought I would start lurking again and then this thread happened.

My user name MrClean kinds of discribes me. Most people call me big Al. (real name is Allen). I'm an old guy compared to most of the people I read on the forum but I can live with that. I'm married, have five fantastic kids, a great wife and I love SF mostly. Actually I can't remember the last time I read something else. I love to write. (not very accomplished) It's mostly for enjoyment right now since work, family and life seem to take up most of the time. I've been working on a novel. The writers group kept me from progressing on it the way I would like but I'm getting back on track.

Hope to get to know you all better.

MrClean

Posts: 140 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
xarius
Member # 2168

- posted      Profile for xarius   Email xarius         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone,
I'm a music teacher/band director. I'm 28 and my husband and I have a 2 yr old daughter. Life at my house is really interesting, but hopefully will be calming down now that HS football/marching band season is over. I love to read & write stories and compose music. Now I actually have time

Posts: 54 | Registered: Sep 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Minister
Member # 2213

- posted      Profile for Minister   Email Minister         Edit/Delete Post 
Xarius, if you have both a two-year-old and time, you must be doing something amazingly right or terribly wrong.

I haven't been around that long, but I'm trying to be involved. I'm 26, married, have a two-year-old daughter, and work as an Asst. Pastor in Staten Island, NY. Helping coach high school wrestling keeps me in shape and sore. I start another part time job next week (pastoring doesn't pay all that much), so I'm not sure what that will do to my time as far as this site is concerned.

I have loved to read for as long as I can remember, although I've only tried my hand at writing recently (excluding some rather scholarly but terribly boring papers in college and seminary). I cut my teeth on Heinlein's juvenile novels and a little C.S. Lewis. I've moved on to enjoy a lot of OSC's work, a fair amount of Zahn's, and of course LOTR. I do read a little in almost every genre and field (except horror and romance -- maybe it is the rampant emotionalism in those that prevents me from enjoying them at all).

It's been a pleasure meeting you, and working with those I've interacted with so far. The beauty of this site is that I get to read pretty good fiction without paying for it!

Posts: 491 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Toradius
Member # 2059

- posted      Profile for Toradius           Edit/Delete Post 
Hello!

I'm still mainly lurking on this site, but on occasion I feel compeled to write something here, though it happens rarely.

I feel passionate about writing and I hope one day to become a proffesional writer. Hopefully that day ain´t that many years from now.

For the moment I'm participating in a distance writing course whitch has this far been a tremendous boost :-) We are going to have a meeting next weekend whitch I'm looking forward to.

Outherwise I wish the best of luck with everybodys writing and I hope that you all one day manage to get publiched.

Don´t let that keyboard rest and allways keep your pencil sharp :-)

Posts: 6 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm beth. I'm relatively new to this site myself.

Mostly I seem to be doing retellings these days, which always surprises me. This month I'm doing nanowrimo, and I'm writing the minotaur's story, from his point of view. I had another story, not a retelling, outlined in a lot of detail, but this one kept whispering to me, even though I had no idea how I was going to fill 50k words. I just really wanted to do it, so I ditched the planned one and jumped in.

I work as a software tester for a government agency. I like the work a lot.

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm Mike, Master of the CRAFT club (Can't Remember a F'ing Thing).

What was I saying? Oh. I'm, Mike, Master of the... Oh.

I'm Mike.

Hi.

I'll be 50 on Tuesday. I think.

Lessee. I was born in Chile, was raised in Panama, have lived in about 5 of these United States and have a long-suffering wife and two little hellion sons I adopted from Chile. I'm an environmental scientist and consult for a living (it isn't as hard as teaching and you get paid more). I'm here to learn the craft and to assist anyone else that I can. If you need any input for your writing about jungle survival, martial arts, knife fighting, horse raising and training, oil rigs, geology, coal mines, making beer, drinking beer, staring longingly at beer labels, singing beer songs, where was I?

Oh, yeah. I'm Mike.

Hi.

shadowynd
Member # 2077

- posted      Profile for shadowynd   Email shadowynd         Edit/Delete Post 
Lessee now... last time I responded to one of these, my husband had just gone into the hospital. He is much, MUCH better now; Thank you all for your prayers and well wishings!

As for me, I'm a middle aged broad fulfilling a personal fantasy of having a horse ranch. Whhhhheeeeeeeeeeee!!! Now to work on that other fantasy, about being a writer... And the one about being skinny. Or at least of a weight closer to normal.

Gosh, I just love fantasy! *irrepressible grin*

Susan

Posts: 350 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Gingivere
Member # 1936

- posted      Profile for Gingivere   Email Gingivere         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello. My name is Catheryn. I'm 19 years old and have been writing for most of that, though not necessarily very well. I'm hoping to improve with help and I promise to help with critiquing as much as possible, though I'm rather nervous about it.

My biggest problems regarding writing are that I'm a procrastinator in the truest sense of the word, and I'm also activity impaired. (My term for lazy) Though it doesn't particularly affect my writing I'm also organizationally challenged.

Though I like a lot authors, among my favorites are Orson Scott Card and Elizabeth Moon. I've also recently become a fan of Terry Pratchett, as I've been devouring the Discworld books.

As a last word, I'm insane, but mostly harmless.

Posts: 21 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
zerhoe
Member # 2188

- posted      Profile for zerhoe   Email zerhoe         Edit/Delete Post 
Ghee-day.

Hailing from the other side of the world compared to most of you, but hopefully I'm still coherent.

Anyway, I'm 21, sort-of-kind-of still in university, and for the last year, have been an unemployed bum. Moving back home sucks, but consquently I've started writing for the first time since leaving highschool. 70,000 words of crap later, I like to think I've improved some.

Aside from that, I visit hatrack quite often, mainly to enjoy Mr OSC's articles, which I might add are quite fantastic. I haven't actually read any of his books (a point of shame), although that's something I hope to rectify sooner rather than later.

I've joined some online workshops here and there, but found them overly impersonal (though a FANTASTIC way to improve).
Signed up hatrack perhaps a month or so back, and hoping to bust my way into a group whenever I get that email! (hint hint)

Posts: 6 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm 35 and am a working puppeteer currently in Iceland. That's my dayjob. I moonlight as a writer, because puppetry is a more stable job... Am I the only one that finds that odd?

I write SF, fantasy and cross-genre stuff. Heck, if the story interests me, I'll write it. I'll read anything as long as the writing is good, and the story is compelling. That's not too much to ask, is it?

I'm participating in NaNoWriMo this month and am trying to keep my head down to avoid distractions. Thank you all for your help in this moment of procrastination.

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
yanos
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for yanos   Email yanos         Edit/Delete Post 
I am also 35, but not a puppeteer nor am I in Iceland. Well I am a maths teacher in Thailand... so almost as strange an occupation.

I have been writing on and off for some time, and I have only really got going in the last few years. I find I am learning a great deal, sometimes things I did not even know I had learned. You can't beat the cut and thrust of lively debate.

Time is not always easy to find, so don;t worry if occasionally I don't get back to you with a critique straight away. The internet here is also somewhat unreliable.

Posts: 575 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
tasf62
Member # 2226

- posted      Profile for tasf62   Email tasf62         Edit/Delete Post 
Eureka! I've been trying to register for this forum for over a month now, but have been having problems with my ISP spam blocker (or some other technical thing I couldn't begin to trouble shoot) rejecting the webmaster’s email containing my password. I finally gave up, opened a new yahoo email address, and here I am.

I guess I'm the forum's newest lurker. It's going to take me a while to figure out how to participate.

I'm a 42 year old mother of three teens (actually the youngest is twelve), and I've only been able to collect enough sanity to begin writing with any serious effort in the last few years. I've been working at this somewhat consistently for a full year now.

I'm fumbling through my first novel and learning in the process, but I'm making progress. I’ve also worked on short stories, submitted a few for publication, and entered a couple of contests. I’ve had lots of rejections, but my first publication is due to appear in a small circulation literary magazine in the summer. I'll eventually receive $5 for it, proof that this is a labor of love and not a financial venture, but I’m ecstatic none the less. A little bit of validation can go a long way at my stage of the game.

I'm looking forward to participating in this workshop.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Nov 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm Andrew. 35.
Lack concentration.
Am easily led.

Read lots.

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
dpatridge
Member # 2208

uhm, hoptoad, except for two things (being easily led, and being 35), are you sure you aren't me? everyone calls me Drew upon my behest, but my name is really Andrew, and, well, i often lack concentration, and i read a darn lot, and well... jeeze!

haha, bet you aren't madly obsessed with japan though!

uhm, am i getting off on a tangent here?

[This message has been edited by dpatridge (edited November 08, 2004).]

wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
I just read a book you might like if you're madly obsessed with Japan, Mr. Patridge. "A Pale View of Hills" by Kazuo Ishiguro. Fantastic book, set (mostly) in Nagasaki just a couple of years after THE BOMB was dropped. It's an odd book, but I definitely loved it.
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
dpatridge
Member # 2208

cool, i'll look into it sometime
Magic Beans
Member # 2183

- posted      Profile for Magic Beans   Email Magic Beans         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Lotta 35-year-olds, including myself. I'm a computer applications instructor, fantasy illustrator & artist, web designer, and, of course, a writer.

Have 3 amazing step-children and one amazing step-grandchild. My wife is an excellent writer in her own right, my best reader and critic.

Posts: 284 | Registered: Sep 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
Bunch of upstarts, she says, adjusting her dentures.

I've got you beat by...

...well, a couple of years, anyway.

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I guess I've procrastinated at posting an intro for long enough.

I'm from Alberta and currently live in Calgary. Go Flames...uhhhh, well, not right now I guess. I'm pretty bummed about the lack of NHL hockey this fall, especially after we did so well back in the spring. Oh well, we have plenty of junior and minor league teams.

I just got hired on permanently with the company I've been temping for over the last six or seven months. This is really great because I now have a solid day job that allows me to pursue my love of writing (I'm a switchboard operator and basically sit in front of a computer screen all day and answer the phone when it rings. Lately it's been ringing a lot, but I still have time to check in at Hatrack on a regular basis and pound out a few stories from time to time).

I younger than most but older than some - read as 25 going on 26 - and enjoy trying new things.

Obsessions include: Shakespeare, The Three Musketeers, a variety of other 19th century lit, Shakespeare, spec-fic, and did I mention, Shakespeare.

[This message has been edited by Robyn_Hood (edited November 09, 2004).]

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
reazwoz
Member # 2223

- posted      Profile for reazwoz   Email reazwoz         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi. I'm new here... not to this particular website though. Phanto has been railing me on Fragments and I have been enjoying it. I read lots like most people in here I suppose. Finally finished the whole Card collection. I think Treason was last... I don't understand why that was last I loved it.

I live in Pennsylvania going to university and I write a lot in my freetime since I avoid most everything except pickup gambling games which I lose at. This whole introduction has been a lie.

Thanks for reading.

Posts: 30 | Registered: Nov 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

- posted      Profile for Jeraliey   Email Jeraliey         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, all!

I'm 22, a philosophy major aiming at medical school. You can go to the last introduction thread to find out more about me (I want to spend this time doing a critique and writing a lesson plan for my inner-city fifth graders), but right now I'm flying high because I just got accepted into a reasonably exclusive creative writing class at my school! I just found out!

:: Does a little dance ::

Have a great day, everyone!

[This message has been edited by Jeraliey (edited November 09, 2004).]

Posts: 1041 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations Jeraliey.
Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Stay away from the site awhile and all these lurkers show up! Welcome!

I understand I passed the half-century mark, but I stopped counting way back at 23. I do have all my own teeth, though. I'm the frustrated parent of two unpublished novels, the SF space opera one of which I'm counting on to support me in my old age. (My hobby of finding money in the streets might be more profitable, though. ) I sold an article to a computer magazine long before I had a computer, had an original excerpt in Reader's Digest, and have done a slew of unpaid op-eds for the local paper.

Pyre Dynasty, you might consider being a contestant on Survivor. Fire-starting is a highly prized skill there.

RunningBish, you're nineteen and a few publishing houses are interested in you? You go, guy!

Shadowynd, glad your hubby is better.

Yanos, a math teacher in Thailand doesn't seem so strange. Now, a Thailand Fingernail dancer in Ohio -- that's strange. Especially in your living room. But it was fun.

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Tess
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Tess   Email Tess         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone else find this intimidating - seeing such along list of people from so many different backgrounds? I'll be keeping the audience in mind as I compose my posts.

I'm new here, and finally worked out my technical problems with the help of KDW. Thank you, Kathleen. The introduction above from TASF62 is also me (long story). I'll be using this user name and email address. Hope to join a group at some point. In the meantime I'm looking forward to poking around on this forum.

Posts: 98 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

Hmmmm... I don't see Survivor here. Wouldn't it be fun to make up a bio for him? We could do it one line at a time. I make up a line, you add one, someone else adds one, etc.

Game?

Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Well Survivor is a Million year old robot from the future.

Kolona: That would be fun except for the fact that I belive 'Reality' TV to be the dragon that will devour the world if it's not slain soon.

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Whitney
Member # 2176

- posted      Profile for Whitney   Email Whitney         Edit/Delete Post 
Pyre you absolutely right about reality TV. As you recall, it's just the world's inadvertant fulfilling of Ray Bradbury's vision from Farenheit 451.
Posts: 66 | Registered: Sep 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
Not that I want to encourage this little tangent too much, but reallity t.v. shows aren't reallity t.v., they are game shows. That's all. Play the game, win a prize. And for the most part they are boring!

The only one I really enjoy watching is The Amazing Race. Even then, it has its moments of stupidity.

O.K., enough ranting.

As for Survivor, I would say he is a man who needs no introduction, so why waste time. A tidbit though, for those unfamilliar with the adventures of MaryRobinette, Survivor is the captain of the Hatrack sloop, The Penmanship. Ready to come to the rescue with a solution for Everything!

However the robot theory would explain how he knows so much more than any mere mortal...

[This message has been edited by Robyn_Hood (edited November 10, 2004).]

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 1619

Phanto stays in the shadows, and has never slipped any information about his/her Phantomy self.

Phanto will reveal that Phanto is probably the youngest member here ^^.

mikemunsil
Member # 2109

quote:
Phanto will reveal that Phanto is probably the youngest member here

In dog years?

quote:
Well Survivor is a Million year old robot from the future.

Ohhhh. So THAT's why the reality shows. He's doing research.

[This message has been edited by mikemunsil (edited November 10, 2004).]

RFLong
Member # 1923

- posted      Profile for RFLong           Edit/Delete Post 
Hi

I've been here a while now. That came as a bit of a surprise when I started writing this. My attendence is a bit sporadic these days and I have always tended to lurk.

I'm 33, live in Dublin and I'm currently on maternity leave. My daughter arrived a little earlier than expected but is doing really well now. Maternity leave on a second child does not give you as much writing time as you would think!

Mind you, typing lulls my babies to sleep. (Familiar sounds?)

I've several WIPs at the moment (mainly because I can't concentrate on any one thing for too long) and I'm also going through some older work.

I've "completed" two novels (one I'm starting to tinker with again; the other is currently sitting in slush pile hell) and a couple of short stories. Most of my writing is in a constant state of flux unless I have sent it out anywhere.

I should point out that much of this may not make sense as it's now 6am (tailend of the 5am feed) and I'm about to go back to bed. Must not get sucked into Ray Bradbury Theatre on Sci-Fi Channel.

Any other Irish out there?

Ruth

Posts: 284 | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Gwalchmai
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Gwalchmai   Email Gwalchmai         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm 24, live in England and am currently studying at a university in Wales. Mostly I come here just to lurk and learn but it isn't unheard of me to make the rare post or offer to critique. I mainly write fantasy and have just completed the first draft of a YA novel.

Well that's more than enough for me, time to return to lurkdom.

Posts: 156 | Registered: Nov 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkKnight
Member # 2227

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
I have also decided to step out of my lurker status and introduce myself. I'm 35, male, IT manager, Batman fan, and professional wrestler. I am amazed at the incredible wealth of knowledge and experience that is available here. I spend most of time lurking here picking up the wisdom then going back and working on my very first attempt at writing something longer than this post.
I do thank everyone in advance for all of your help, and maybe one of these I will post my 13 lines.
I would also like to publicly thank Mr. Card for writing Ender's Game. That book has meant more to me than he will ever know

Posts: 1 | Registered: Nov 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Hildy9595
Member # 1489

- posted      Profile for Hildy9595   Email Hildy9595         Edit/Delete Post 
I keep forgetting to post to these intro threads. I'm Hildy, I'm thirty (mumble-mumble), and a freelance writer by profession (marcom, training). I am also a contributing editor to a magazine on infertility. I write a variety of spec fiction, had a couple short stories published, and am currently shopping around my first novel. In real life, I have one husband, one daughter, and one bichon frise.

Welcome, newbies!

Posts: 338 | Registered: Aug 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
TechGnome
Member # 2231

- posted      Profile for TechGnome           Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all! TechGnome here. New to this site, only just discovered it today. How in the world I eve missed it, I'll never know.

So anyways, I'm a 31 yr old gnome, I'm a computer programer by choice/trade/luck for my day job, as well as a night job & write in my spare time for fun. I have no delusions of being the next OSC or Tolkien, I simply have this story that keeps growing in my and I simply must get it out or I fear I shoudl go mad.

I'm currently living in the "Heartland," also known as Nebraska - and no, I am *not* a Cornhusker fan.

TG

Posts: 3 | Registered: Nov 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm 25, married, one daughter, two cats. Someday if I ever move out of my condo and into a house with a yard I'll adopt a couple retired greyhounds.

I've been a member for a few months. I mostly live in the Open Discussions, with an occasional dip into Fragments and Feedback. I promise I do critique several pieces for every one that I submit, but I've been working on my novel for a while and haven't had any time for either submitting lines or doing critiques. I am doing NaNoWriMo, which is both easier and harder than I thought it would be.

I've been a fan of OSC for many many years. Some of my favorites (I like them all though) of his are Wyrms and the Worthing Saga, in addition to the immortal Ender's Game.

I love sci-fi and speculative fiction, well-written horror and rewritten fairy tales. I hope to write in all those genres over time, but my main love is probably sci-fi. When I finish my novel I will send it off to join the others of you whose novels are in limbo in the slushpile, then write the next one.

Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlin
Member # 2203

- posted      Profile for Merlin   Email Merlin         Edit/Delete Post 
I am still here, despite my lack of posting. I am doing NaNoWriMo this month, and so have not had much time to critique (which I am not very comfortable with) and have nothing else that I want critiqued. So I faded into the background for a while.

I am younger than eighteen, but found the young writers forum to be less than helpful and many of the people who hung out there more than just annoyingly immature.

Posts: 10 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.