Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Introduce yourself! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Introduce yourself!
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
Howdy, y'all (And Sincere Greetings to you, too, Mrs. Kowal),

I'm 51 (as of last Sunday), and go in spurts where I participate a lot on this forum, and then almost disappear for a few months. Right now I'm mostly invisible, but hopefully that will end in a month or so.

I've written off and on since I was 14 years old; but as it's mostly been "off" I don't have all that much to show: one novel (which I'm almost ready to start pedaling, and several short stories. I recently started a tutoring agency for any of you who need help in any subject and live in or near Greensboro, NC (or if you even know anyone there, let them know: www.a-plustutoring.com).

I've got one wife, one daughter (who's planning to conceptually revamp quantum mechanics) and one son (who loves stories, but isn't planning anything yet). And one cat, who doesn't like fish or chicken but laps up papier mache paste.

Before I had children, I was the smartest person I'd ever met. Now I'm the dumbest.

Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Ergoface
Member # 1429

- posted      Profile for Ergoface   Email Ergoface         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, I'm Dave, 41, end-user software trainer and part-time developer. Husband to one wife and Father to four boys (3 adopted from Russia). I've been around for a while and my writing and posting have been mostly on hold for the last eight months or so. I am getting back into things on both fronts. I'm hoping to finish editing my novel (I only finished the first draft a year and a half ago!) real soon now and am consoling myself by starting on the next volume in the trilogy.

It's always fun to see who is still around and who the new folks are. Greetings all!

Oh yeah I live in the Utah, not necessarily a part of the real world.

Posts: 77 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Ergoface! Congrats! I'm father to two boys adopted from Chile. Went from none to a 2 year old and a five year old overnight.

What a rush! I've never been so scared in my life.

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
I quit drinking when I was 5. I did sip champagne when I was about 9. I spit it out. Too much like cough medicine...

I am Chris Owens and I'm a chicken stromolli-aholic.

You say this is not a chicken stromolli-aholic newsgroup? Is it? Or maybe you just can't admit you have a problem.

I'm 32. Married now for 3.5+ years. 0 children, and I hope it stays that way. Temporally employed as a contractor doing mainly SAS, JCL, sometimes a little COBOL.

Born and lived in Richmond, Virginia all my life except for two years when my job sent us to Baltimore. Now I'm back.

I read mainly SF&F. What really got me started was the Amber series by Roger Zelany. I remember the summer when I was 15 and journeyed with Corwin from Amber to Chaos. After that I discovered Tolkien, Orson Scott Card, ect...

I'm currently devouring the Runelord series. But usually I prefer the fuzzy middleground between fantasy and science fiction. I love stuff that involves alternate realities.

When I was a teen I devoured any layman text I could find on Relativity and Quantum Mechanics. I've forgotten most of it and I really never pursued it any more than that. I learned Basic 2.0, Pascal, 6510 Assembly langauge, C. And that led to a career in computer programming, a line of work that lately keeps me up at night in worry.

When I was a teen I would not be caught dead with a comic book. That was my 'do-not-call-me-a-child' phase. But after seeing the first Spider-man movie, I have no qualms about reading them. I know this may sound sad, but I only wish I did read them as a teen, I could of really have idenitified with Peter Parker. A 'Your-not-the-only-one' thing. Yes it may sound corny, you either understand what I'm saying or you don't...

With music, I love prog-rock (as in Yes, ELP, early Genesis, Gentle Giant, Gilgamesh, Univers Zero, Magma, PFM, Banco, Thinking Plague). I like jazz, mainly fusion and be-hop. I like classical, no opera. I like some good "new age", Jean Michael Jarre, ect. For a few years I could not get enough of the West Side Story soundtrack, the first LOTR soundtrack, Jarre's album Oxygene and a CD of Japanese traditional pieces (such as 'Along the Grand Tone River'). Anything colorful, interesting, complex, emotionally sweeping.

I love food. Mainly Italian, though I do like my share of Chinese, American, Mexican food as well. When my wife's not looking I'll sneak a chicken stromolli.

This year due to the Food network I've tried my hand at cooking to mixed sucesss. I've been able to make my own pizza crust and pasta from stratch.

So far I've only three short stories in first or second draft, and one main WIP, "The Man Without Dreams" in first draft, about 100000 words in 24 chapters. Now I am severely revamping it.

Writing is not as easy as I thought. I believe I may some of the creativity needed, just not the discipline to bridle it...

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Chris. Attended elementary school in Richmond before going to Panama.
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
<Hey Chris. Attended elementary school in Richmond before going to Panama.>

Where abouts?

mikemunsil
Member # 2109

LOL I don't remember. That was back in '62.
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Chris. I've got a great recipe for homemade pizza sauce to go on that crust if you're interested.
Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

<Hey, Chris. I've got a great recipe for homemade pizza sauce to go on that crust if you're interested.>

Very interested.

NewsBys
Member # 1950

- posted      Profile for NewsBys   Email NewsBys         Edit/Delete Post 
About me:

I'm 30, married, no kids.
Live in Richmond, VA.
I worked in the advertising and marketing field for 5 years, but decided to switch to education. During those five years, I worked as an editorial assistant and managing editor for a medical journal. That experience really heated up my interest in writing.
Now I'm a student teacher, working on getting licensed to teach 3rd graders.
I'm a certified black belt instructor and teach martial arts and self defense to children, teens and adults.
I love to read, thanks to my dear ol' Dad who decided to get rid of the TV from the time I was 8 to 12.
Surprisingly, I never really missed it. He made sure we had plenty of books and took us to the drive-in movies each weekend.
Thus, I love to read, love to write and prefer to be outdoors.
I really miss the drive-in. Wish we still had one in town. Sometimes I move the TV out on the deck in the summer to watch movies, but it's not quite the same.

Posts: 579 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

quote:
Sometimes I move the TV out on the deck in the summer to watch movies, but it's not quite the same.

Yeah, me too. Now when we're watching a movie and I make a move on the wife all I get is a glare, not even a slap. Oh well. Of course, the kids get a chuckle out of it.

djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
Fortunately, we still have a drive-in in town. It's lovely. And I NEVER slap hubby when he makes a move on me. That's what drive-ins are for, right?
Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
NewsBys
Member # 1950

- posted      Profile for NewsBys   Email NewsBys         Edit/Delete Post 
Just did a quick internet search that shows there are still a few drive-ins in VA. I might go check one out, even though they average about 80 miles away. Might make a fun overnight trip.
Posts: 579 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.