Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Contractions in Narrative

Author Topic: Contractions in Narrative
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
This has probably been covered to death already...

Back in July a person in a short-lived writing group read a first-person piece set in modern times. I saw nothing wrong with using contractions in the narrative. I only eliminated thier use, for example, in pieces set in the middle ages. But the reader questioned it. So I started taking them out. But now I'm starting to wonder. I see them in published work. It would not sound natural without it. In fact it gives the narrator the wrong voice.

Even in third person narration, at least limited third person, which is a series of obersavations and thoughts out of the mind & senses of the POV character, contractions seem to make sense, depending on the character.

So, what say ye about contractions in narration?

[This message has been edited by ChrisOwens (edited November 26, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by ChrisOwens (edited November 26, 2004).]

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
Love 'em. Couldn't do without 'em.
Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
While I'll put an "Amen" out there for what Keeley said, I think I have to qualify it with a "But..."

While I don't think the elimination of contractions is a good idea in dialogue or thoughts, they can look a little sloppy in prose.

Also, it is possible to have too much of a good thing. Over use of contractions can make a writer appear lazy.

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. Overusing contractions in narrative can mean the writer isn't connecting with his/her character, since using contractions in the prose, for me anyway, is a matter of how close I am to the POV character and the informality of the character's thoughts. It also ties in to the action contained in the scene, the emotion of the moment, and oosn and fo sorth.

However, in general, I still adore contractions.

Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kickle
Member # 1934

- posted      Profile for Kickle   Email Kickle         Edit/Delete Post 
I also love contractions- particularly if the story has multiple POV's. To me it is an efficient way of showing the difference between characters- the formal character who uses big words and no contractions, as opposed to the character who uses simple words and lots of contractions.
Posts: 397 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
I have wondered if the lack of contractions in the right places leads the narration to feel "stilted".
Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
I've always made the same response every time this topic has come up. I'll make it again.

Use them when they feel right. Don't use them when they don't feel right.

That's the kind of intuitive stuff that makes writing an art instead of a formula.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
dpatridge
Member # 2208

- posted      Profile for dpatridge   Email dpatridge         Edit/Delete Post 
i'm in complete agreement with willy
Posts: 477 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Even in third person narration, at least limited third person, which is a series of obersavations and thoughts out of the mind & senses of the POV character, contractions seem to make sense, depending on the character.

Be careful not to confuse POV with the narrative voice. In third limited the voice of the narrator is not generally the voice of the POV character. That's what First Person POV is for.

In third limited you're not really giving a series of observations and thoughts out of the POV character's mind and senses, so much as you are giving your narrator's observations of those things. So the narrative voice SHOULD remain consistent throughout the story, and through all your POV shifts.

As far as contractions, consider the voice of your narrator. Consider Card's Alvin Maker series. The narrator has a very distinctive voice in those books--a unique voice that actually surfaces and speaks directly to you at times, asserting himself (Oh, there I go being sexist again ) as ALMOST a character. But he has his own voice. What I'm trying to say, is that if your narrator would use contractions (and again, don't confuse narrator with POV character) than use them.

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Magic Beans
Member # 2183

- posted      Profile for Magic Beans   Email Magic Beans         Edit/Delete Post 
Good point, dakota. The key word, here, is consistency. Consistency in character voice and consistency in narrator voice. Appropriateness to the genre/time period is also important. Contractions aren't necessarily lowbrow, there are many contractions that can be used by highbrow characters, like shan't, mustn't, and 'tis.

[This message has been edited by Magic Beans (edited November 27, 2004).]

Posts: 284 | Registered: Sep 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Balthasar
Member # 5399

- posted      Profile for Balthasar   Email Balthasar         Edit/Delete Post 
All of this is good advice. Let me add something else.

If you want to affect a formal tone in your piece, do not use contractions. You do not have to use big words to be formal. You must, however, write in a formal way.

But if you want to affect an informal tone, then use contractions. It's the best and easiest way to make a piece's tone informal.

Posts: 130 | Registered: Apr 2007  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.