Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Welsh myth and names

Author Topic: Welsh myth and names
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
I decided that my place name Dinas Emrys had to go. It's entire plane (an equivement to Phillip Jose Farmer's pocket universes) composed of passages and chambers in rock.

Too many people got confused with my character Emrys.

I considered Annwm. The average person would have to dig to figure out how to pronounce it. Then I considered, spelling it phonetically: Anoom, or Anume. Sounds too much like a Star Wars planet.

Sidi, but again that has a Star Wars feel to it.

I've also considered, Pedryvan, Veddwit, or thier phonetic equivelents.

They also relate to myths in the Welsh Otherworld, where there was a turning castle.

Opinions?

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jules
Member # 1658

- posted      Profile for Jules   Email Jules         Edit/Delete Post 
Pedryvan sounds good. I suspect most people would struggle to pronounce Veddwit even if it was spelled phonetically.
Posts: 626 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
J. Stewart
Member # 2262

- posted      Profile for J. Stewart   Email J. Stewart         Edit/Delete Post 
I like both your options. Does one of them have a better connection with your story?

You might even look back into Celtic and Gallo-Breton place names for more inspiration. How about using the Welsh words for "deep cave" or some other descriptive phrase? Unless you are trying to establish a firm connection with the Mabinogion or a particular place, the sound of the place is what you are really trying to capture.

And remember, you can have worse connections than a place that sounds like a planet on Star Wars!

Posts: 9 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, basically twisting Arthurian lore.

From http://www.mythopedia.info/14-celts.htm:
"The otherworldly castle in Annwm that Arthur tried to assault was variously called Caer Pedryvan, 'four-cornered castle', which was 'forever revolving', Caer Wydyr, 'glass castle', Caer Veddwit, Caer Sidi, 'turning or spiral castle'. Seven of Arthur's men survived the attack on each castle (The spoils of Annwm, 10th century)."

The only connotation I do not want is the 'glass castle', because there is a seperate crystal realm.

ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

<And remember, you can have worse connections than a place that sounds like a planet on Star Wars!>

Not after the Phantom Menance.

ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

<Pedryvan sounds good>

The plane of Pedryvan. I like it, very alliterative.

Then again, There is the plane of Praetoria. I guess I do though run into the rule of thumb to not have names that start with the same letter.

djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I'd consider sticking with Annwm. Why? Because if you're writing scifi/fantasy your audience will very likely be people who have been familiarized in their reading with the basic Welsh, and won't have any trouble with accepting the name.

I didn't. I liked it.

But then I'm an Arthur-phile.

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
I vote for Pedryvan. I like the sound.

I don't know if this will help you at all.

Astud.Llen It's a bibliography compiled by a former English professor of mine. It includes books on various place names from all over, including Wales.

Welsh Authors might also be helpful. It's by the same professor, and, if memory serves, helps explain the Welsh language.

[This message has been edited by Keeley (edited December 10, 2004).]

Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

I tried to click on both links. Neither worked.
Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
Try now. I think I fixed them.

Darn ... he's changed the website since I last looked at it. He used to have an online course there. Well, at least maybe you'll have some books you can look at.

Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Whitney
Member # 2176

- posted      Profile for Whitney   Email Whitney         Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a good website that anyone knows of to help with the pronunciation of these names or words? Celtic languagues have always tripped me up.
Posts: 66 | Registered: Sep 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Try this site; it might help:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/alba/foghlam/beag_air_bheag/

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
I like Pedryvan, Veddwit reads like Bedwet.
I also like Annwm, let them pronounce it however they please.

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.