Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » examples of non-linear time

Author Topic: examples of non-linear time
kathmandau
Member # 2254

- posted      Profile for kathmandau   Email kathmandau         Edit/Delete Post 
What novels of fiction do you find are the best exammples of presenting an environment of non-linear time?

How about examples providing a dream-like realm?

Posts: 17 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never found non-linear time to be a concept that works well except in math. Visualizing it is so abstract. Then there was the theory my husband presented to me a few eeks ago that we actually live in a two-dimension world that has been projected into three-dimensional space and that time isn't a fourth dimension. This same theory also suggests that time isn't linear but a solenoid.

[This message has been edited by Christine (edited January 21, 2005).]

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
Pardon my ignorance, what is a silinoid?

[This message has been edited by ChrisOwens (edited January 21, 2005).]

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
misspelling of a solenoid.
Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

- posted      Profile for Jeraliey   Email Jeraliey         Edit/Delete Post 
The Dark Tower Series, by Stephen King. Not only do they jump around to different "when"s by use of mysterious doors, the main setting of the story exists in a state of spatial and temporal drift. Time and space are, in effect, winding down. It's an excellent example of non-linear time.

It's a great series, too, at least until King got tired or writing it. (Around book 4 or 5)

Posts: 1041 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
HuntGod
Member # 2259

- posted      Profile for HuntGod           Edit/Delete Post 
Kurt Vonneguts "Galapagos".

It's been years since I read this, but if I recall correctly the story is told backwards at one point and he moves back and forward in the story liberally.

Posts: 552 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
kathmandau
Member # 2254

- posted      Profile for kathmandau   Email kathmandau         Edit/Delete Post 
Many thanks for the input. I am interested in a story, amorphous in time and space, dream-like, and need to do some research.

It crosses my mind that it will take some doing to establish a story as a pitch for the reality of non-linear time, as opposed to a story told in non-linear fashion (which the reader's mind would then, if done well reconstruct into the assumption of a linear timeline).

[This message has been edited by kathmandau (edited January 21, 2005).]

wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
The absolute very best example I have ever read of non-linear story-telling is "A Pale View of Hills" by Kazuo Ishiguro. If you're looking for a story amorphous in space and time and dreamlike, this one is right up your alley, and it's masterfully executed. If that's what you're trying to learn, I would STRONGLY suggest getting your hands on a copy of this book.
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Tracy and Laura Hickman's 'Bronze Canticles' has a nice dream world.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
JBSkaggs
Member # 2265

- posted      Profile for JBSkaggs   Email JBSkaggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Look on the web for a non fiction book called Flatland. It is in public domain.

Also Piers Anthony did alot of work in non linear time and dreams. Xanth, Incarnations of Immortality etc.

Posts: 451 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if it isn't linear, what is it?

Circular: The Ballad of Babel-17 (IIRC) by Samuel Delaney.

Interleaved linear: The Doomsday Book by Connie Willis, and lots of others I'm sure.

Linear but backward: Memento (film).

So much time travel I lost track: Communicating Doors (play).

But "amorphous," if I understand it correctly ... I wouldn't know how to make a story this way, but it's appealing to me. Nobody flame, please ... the pilot episode of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine had an illustration of how "nonlinear time" could already be a part of our lives.

[This message has been edited by wbriggs (edited January 21, 2005).]

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
dpatridge
Member # 2208

- posted      Profile for dpatridge   Email dpatridge         Edit/Delete Post 
/me starts roasting briggs alive...

you know... briggs is one of Square's hallmark characters in their RPG series Final Fantasy. anyways... where did that come from? oh, i know. he got uhm... burned by terra in the 6th final fantasy... hehe

Posts: 477 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
kathmandau
Member # 2254

Is that "Flatland" by Edwin Abbott, about a two-dimensional world inhabited by sentient geometric shapes?

[This message has been edited by kathmandau (edited January 22, 2005).]

Jules
Member # 1658

- posted      Profile for Jules   Email Jules         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been meaning to read Flatland for a while. Also Flatterland, the unofficial sequel by Ian Stewart.

Posts: 626 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.