Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Unnamed characters

Author Topic: Unnamed characters
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm writing a short story and for the first time ever, I've run into a situation where there are characters who are referred to quite a bit but whose names are never known to the protagonist. I end up calling them "the first gunman" and "the second gunman" at least half a dozen times each. Does this get annoying or do you even notice things like this?
Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it depends on the importance of those characters, at least that's how I see it. If they're going to stick around a while, then I'll have the protagonist make up a name for them... sometimes, it's a name based on what they look like or what they do -- no different from what you've done...

But if it doesn't feel right to you, then it probably won't feel right to us when we read it.

If that's the case, call one of them Moe and the other Curly if you have to.

[This message has been edited by HSO (edited February 15, 2005).]

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
MichelleAnn
Member # 2375

- posted      Profile for MichelleAnn   Email MichelleAnn         Edit/Delete Post 
Are there any distinguishing features? Hair color? Height? One softer spoken or more compassionate?

HSO also has a good point - nicknames. Maybe one trips and then becomes "Clumsy" or "Fred Astaire." (For example)
'ChelleAnn

[This message has been edited by MichelleAnn (edited February 15, 2005).]

Posts: 48 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
I have the same problem. The viewpoint character is doesn't know the names of his aductees and they're not forecoming. For now, he mentally calls them Passenger and Driver.
Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
Whose POV are you using?

If it is exclusively the Protag, then if he doesn't know, we shouldn't know. If the two gunmen are identified through another POV or something then identify them.

As a rule unnamed characters are challenging and not well suited to fiction, but rules are made to be broken.

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
I just read a mystery and two of the unnamed characters wound up being called the Scarecrow and Tinman. The POV character had a couple of other Oz references worked in, so it wound up feeling thematically complete and--in some cases--further my knowledge of the POV character because it let me know his attitude toward them.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
AeroB1033
Member # 1956

- posted      Profile for AeroB1033   Email AeroB1033         Edit/Delete Post 
Question: Does the differentiation between the two men matter to the story? If it does, then yeah, you might need nicknames for them--some kind of tag, at very least.

But if they're just there for exposition, then there really isn't any need to differentiate them at all, is there? You could play the whole scene without tagging any of the dialogue. For example:

"Did you see the way he was looking at us? Scary. Like he could snap our necks in a second if his hands were free."
"You big baby. Who's got the guns here?"
"Fine, then you uncuff him. I ain't coming anywhere near that guy."
"All right, I will. Why don't you stand back there and work on growing a pair."

[This message has been edited by AeroB1033 (edited February 15, 2005).]

Posts: 233 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.