Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Something I've been holding inside... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Something I've been holding inside...
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps the solution for welcoming newbies would be to choose a link to a welcome message that anyone on Hatrack can post in their comments. IE, the first of the old-timers to remember to do so might say something like:

Welcome to Hatrack! We're always glad to have another voice join in. To help make your transition to the forum an easier one, take a look at the following link:

(cut and paste link)

And maybe Kathleen could stick this link or page somewhere on Hatrack that would be easy to find. I dunno. Just an idea.

And of course someone with excellent tact and a non-threatening demeanor would have to write it--which would naturally preclude Survivor or HSO. And if you let mikemunsil do it he'd just get silly. And LDS's grammar might not be as proficient as he'd like it to be, and...

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
TruHero
Member # 1766

- posted      Profile for TruHero   Email TruHero         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I'll do it.

Welcome to Hatrack! We hope you enjoy your experience on one of the most informative and fun learning adventures for writers in the entire world. Keep your arms and legs inside the ride at all times, and if you feel the need to vomit, try not to get any on the equipment. Be safe, and enjoy the ride!

There. Perhaps not what you were looking for? Let me know if you need me to do a re-write. This is what we do right?

Posts: 471 | Registered: Sep 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
Before coming to Hatrack, I had never participated in an on-line community. I had heard from friends that you need to be careful and should observe things for a few days before jumping in, that way you won't look like a total idiot or make some gross breach of protocol.

When I first started reading the posts, F&F seemed like the business side of things, while Open Discussions seemed a little more personal. I decided until I got to "know" some of the people here, it might be rude to jump in on their personal conversations, so I started posting things in F&F. I posted a piece to be critiqued and started looking at pieces to critique in return.

I like the new intro board. It's a nice way to ease into things around here. Which reminds me, I should post an intro...

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.