Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » How many of yall use plotlines and story mapping (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: How many of yall use plotlines and story mapping
TaShaJaRo
Member # 2354

- posted      Profile for TaShaJaRo   Email TaShaJaRo         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I really like that post-it note idea. THAT, I could do because I could make it look nice and neat and still be creative. I think you hit on another reason it was always difficult for me - I would have to redo the entire thing if I wanted to change something.
I really like that post-it idea. I might try that. I already have yellow walls in my office at home so I could just stick them on the walls and it wouldn't look bad.

Posts: 225 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
RavenStarr
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for RavenStarr   Email RavenStarr         Edit/Delete Post 
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury:
"But, please, don't feel that you have to shoot people down because they have found a use for something that has not worked for you."

O'no… I wasn't shooting anybody down… I was simply lashing out at the traumatizing memories that mind-mapping has created…

Posts: 183 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad people weren't meaning to be mean.

I know I don't catch every time someone might react in a way that could hurt someone else's feelings, but when I do catch a post that is potentially unhelpful, I speak up, just in case.

I hope that my doing so may have helped to encourage a bit more discussion of the pros and cons of mindmapping which led to Mike's mentioning the post-it idea.

I see that as helpful discussion because you all found a way to adapt something that didn't work for someone into a way that might make it work.

Way to go, y'all.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
goatboy
Member # 2062

- posted      Profile for goatboy   Email goatboy         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't had much chance to look at the mind mapping site yet. So far it looks kind of like a weird flow chart. I'm not sure I understand how that is supposed to help.

Posts: 497 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Goatboy

The mindmapping method is a brainstorming tool. It sidesteps the problems inherent in making lists or working in a serial manner. It encourages recall of key items by tying into your ability to associate items with graphics and colors. etc

It isn't meant to depict a flow of events or a path to a goal. It IS meant to allow you to capture ideas and link them one to another in a free-form way.

When freed of the limitations of drawing on paper, it can become quite powerful. I started using Mind Manager when I found myself in a position in which I was responsible for creating workplans and writing proposals for work that no one in my group had ever done before. By using the software, I was able to cut the time I spent by a minimum of 25%.

In writing, I find it useful to map out ideas about a character, to map out potential ideas for a plot, for a scene, etc. Please note that I use 'map out' in the sense of creating ideas and lumping them together into categories, and not mapping out in terms of a chronology.

In the software I can click on an element of the mindmap and bring up a notepad to write in, a brief scene, a few words, etc. After creating the mindmap, I can, if I wish, and with just a few mouseclicks, create an outlined Word file with all the mindmap elements and any text that I added as notes. Or, if I wish, I can create a hyperlinked, menu-driven website just as quickly and easily.

So, for me, the software works well.

Another method that I often use, when I am trying to teach my clients some brainstorming techniques, it to use Post-it(TM) notes on a wall. It is quick, cheap and easy.

Again, for writing, my opinion is that this technique is useful for brainstorming and arranging items into loose associations, not for outlining a plot.

Hope this helps.

mm

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
goatboy
Member # 2062

- posted      Profile for goatboy   Email goatboy         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Mike. This is basically a method of generating a lot of ideas in a short time. I might look into that. I've always loved the springboard effect that I get from brain storming with other people's input. Maybe this would replace the other people.
Posts: 497 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.