Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Flash Challenge 4 is Open, 22 April 2005 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Flash Challenge 4 is Open, 22 April 2005
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to Kathleen for allowing us to post these announcements here.

Go to the below link to learn about the challenge. Please note that you now must be registered at Liberty Hall (mike's site) to participate. The registration is to make our lives easier and to protect your publishing rights. No moaning, please.

The challenge is open from now until Monday, 25 April 2005, 0800 GMT 0 (London, 5 hrs ahead of EST, US)

http://www.munsil.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=299

MaryRobinette is the chooser for this week's trigger, since she won the "Best Use of Flash Techinque" poll. Congrats for a well-done story, Mary.

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks! I'm looking forward to reading all of these stories. Have fun, gang!
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
When I click on the link, it says the topic or post does not exist.

[edited to add that I'm going straight to mike's bb for the challenge]

[This message has been edited by Keeley (edited April 22, 2005).]

Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
Wierd. When I click on it, it works. A fluke?
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't know why. If you are registered, which you are, it should take you right there. Try http://www.munsil.net/index.html and click on Forums, then go to Flash Chalenge #4. If you don't see it, you are either not registered yet, or have not logged in. Or we have a glitch. Let's not forget the glitch. Next to the infamous snoggle it is the most maligned beat in history. It does have its purpose... oops, maundering again. Sorry.
Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if it's my e-mail or what, but I'm not getting the auto reply.

I've tested my spinfinder account and nothing seems to be getting through (which could be half the problem), but I also tried from my office account and I didn't get a reply.

Maybe there is a gremlin as well as a glitch.

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeley
Member # 2088

I was logged in when I tried it earlier. Now it works.

I have no idea what happened.

Now I'm waiting for the trigger. It's only been a minute, so no worries... yet.

HSO
Member # 2056

Okay... Robyn, did you get Mike's email and my email. Mike sent the trigger to you.

Keeley, I haven't seen your request... did you email the right address?

Keeley
Member # 2088

Just checked and it looks like I sent it to the right address.

Very odd.

Keeley
Member # 2088

Got it!
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Who wan the last one?
Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
No, I think my web account is acting up, but that still doesn't explain why my office e-mail never got the auto-reply. (BTW, while I was typing this I just received Mike's e-mail about his story in F&F, so I guess it's working with some sort of three hour delay. It does that from time to time -- go figure ).

I'll send Mike an e-mail with that address so he can send it to me directly.

Thanks for all the effort guys.

HSO
Member # 2056

Mary won the last one...

Yeah, I finally got the request... it took about 20 minutes to reach me. Not sure if earthlink or hotmail or someone else's lag, but I hope this doesn't happen again.

HSO
Member # 2056

Robyn, I'm moderating. I can deal with it. Send me the email, please.

mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, although he isn't in any way moderate, HSO is moderating. Send him the email.

He'll stay up all night if necessary. Hehehe.

Keeley
Member # 2088

Okay, I think I got it in in time. There's probably going to be a lot of stories with the same subject matter, but I don't care. It was fun.
HSO
Member # 2056

There seems to be a serious delay on your end Keeley, I've yet to see your story come in. Nevertheless, it'll show up eventually, I suspect.
Keeley
Member # 2088

40 min.? Wow, that is serious.

It took 20 min. for me to receive the flash trigger. I wonder if something's going on with SBC.

Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

Whew! That was an ordeal and a half. I thought, Great, I'll start the challenge over lunch and finish it up before it gets busy again.

So much for that, the Gremlins in my e-mail decided to make this one hellish for me. Instead of writing while it was nice and quiet, I did while the phone was ringing off the hook!!!! Arghh! It must be the full moon or something, because this couldn't have been more stressful if I'd had the sword of Dameclese hanging over my head!

Oh well it's done. I can release. I can let go. I can stop ranting. <deep breath in...and out>

All right. Best of luck to the rest of you planning to this over the weekend. This should net some interesting stories. (Okay I'm starting to smile now.)

HSO
Member # 2056

Keeley, you made it with 3 minutes to spare!

Keeley
Member # 2088

Yea!!!!

[does happy dance]

I would like to add that it really helps out the people putting on this Challenge if those submitting follow the formatting guidelines (follow the link in the FC#4 topic post). I know it says optional, but if, like last time, 19 people end up submitting, and it takes the mod an extra 5 minutes to format, that means he'll be spending a little over an hour and a half on formatting alone. And that's if the formatting goes smoothly.

So, please, no matter how much HSO has offended you in the past, please follow the guidelines.

Posted that thought on Mike's site and decided I should add it here as well.

HSO
Member # 2056

We have 7 entries so far...

And yeah, what Keeley said!

MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

Wow! That's fast.
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

Yeah, I think we're on course to beat the old record. I'm glad HSO is officiating this one!
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

Good luck to everyone who plans to write this week-end. The trigger is a challenge, but it's just right. I had fun with this one even though I don't particularly like my end product -- but I think just about everyone says that.

See y'all on Monday!

Rahl22
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, my head is POUNDING after that. *dashes to get advil*

I hope I manged to get it in on time. I know it was close!

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Apr 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure mine was close. I had to rush to get it saved and sent...but it was fun. Sigh, another sloppy ending, even though I had a good idea where it was going...the last few paragraphs were rushed. I'm sure it will show.
Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

Presently, there are 11 entries. We're about on track with last weekend's flash.

On Monday, we will be posting the stories on the FC4 board, which is now private and cannot be crawled over by web robots -- protecting your publishing rights, and making it easier to find and crit a story.

Although, I'm wondering if in the meantime we shouldn't post the stories up to a hidden or protected web page so that those who have already finished their flash challenges can get to reading and critiquing. I could send the web address, login and password with your receipts...

thoughts?

mikemunsil
Member # 2109

Only if you want to do all the work!
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I've got some time today to start reading if you started posting but it's up to you.
Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that's a great idea. I'd love a head start on the reading.
Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

I love the idea, since I want to read them, darn it!

I've worked with phpBB enough to know a couple of easy ways to do that without making much extra work. Shall I shoot you an email or do you have it under control?

mikemunsil
Member # 2109

Oh, he has it under control, it's just that he wants to do it on a separate web page for which he has to create the html.

What I could do instead, is set up a separate hidden forum where those who have already flashed or who are not going to flash could start reading. But in phpBB the way to do that involves creating a group and assigning the appropriate rights to that group. Which by itself is not a big deal. However, then you have to approve Group membership on an individual basis, and on the weekends we also try to have lives.

So... if you have a better idea than that, please let us know.

Minister
Member # 2213

- posted      Profile for Minister   Email Minister         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I flashed and Yahoo reports that the story was sent, but I haven't gotten the response saying that the story was received. I'll toss a message in at Liberty Hall, too, I guess; hope it made it.
Posts: 491 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

HSO snuck me a few of the stories earlier so I can read them on the plane--but I succumbed to temptation and read a couple. Brace yourself for some stiff competition. Judgeing ain't going to be easy.
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
I really missed not being able to participate last week. I just got back home from Las Vegas today, and there was no way I could get on the 'net while there. I don't have a laptop, and the internet cafes were all around $.25 a minute. On a budget of $20 a day to include all meals and transportation, it just wasn't happening. Especially because I wanted to really take time to enjoy reading the stories and critique all of them. So, oh well.

But, I have once more launched into the fray, and submitted a quickie that is only half as long as my first one, for the picture challenge. I am actually proud of writing something shorter, as I have a tendency to be overly verbose and use 20 words to say something that could probably be summed up in less than ten.

We'll see how it fares, now that it has been tossed amongst the sharks . Actually I'm looking forward to having it torn apart.

Good luck to one and all!!!

[This message has been edited by autumnmuse (edited April 24, 2005).]

Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

Minister, your story arrived safe and sound... while I was asleep. You should have a receipt in your inbox now.

With just under 24 hours to go, we now have 18 Entries!

HSO
Member # 2056

Okay... so you've written your flash, right? Do you want to get a head start on reading and critiquing the stories?

Well, you can. All you need to do is email me, and I'll send you a Word doc with all of the stories up to the moment. Please do this only if you have already taken the challenge. If you haven't already written your flash, you will not get the file.

To get the story, the following must be in your subject line:

"Send me the Flash!"

Send it to the flash challenge address, please.

Presently, we have 18 stories ready. If any more come before the challenge ends, they will NOT be added to the file. You will need to wait until Monday to read them on the board.

Actually, there's 19 if you count my story, which comes in at 1400 words (not exactly flash). Naturally, I had time to think it over, so it won't be part of the voting process. I will post it up on Monday, though.

Let me know if you want to read. Send an email with "Send me the Flash" in the subject line.

HSO

Beth
Member # 2192

I've read most of the 1st 18 now and Mary's right - there are some good ones in there! good job, everyone.
HSO
Member # 2056

We now have 19 highly official and qualified entries.

I've not read any of them, strangely, though I have spent quite a bit of time formatting a few to add in the tags for italics and stuff (for posting on the boards).

autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I read them all and I am anxious to be able to post critiques, and get started on the votes.

Also I humbly plead everyone's patience next week. I'm going to try to relieve HSO of some of the burden of going through all the stories every week by himself, and next week I'll do some slogging. If there are any screw-ups, blame me instead of him, okay?

Hmm . . . maybe soon I'll be a registered Offender like HSO . . . the power is speaking to me .

Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

Can they start blaming you for this weekend's flash? I hope so.

We have twenty stories in... one more than last week's total. Good thing many have decided to get a head start on their reading for tomorrow's postings. And for those who have, do you like it? Do you think it will help.

At the time of this post, just under 9 hours remain to take up the challenge and submit it.

Beth
Member # 2192

Having the stories to read now is a good thing, and will help me a lot! I have more time to read today than I will all of next week, so it's good.

Rahl22
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's a good thing, but I'd rather wait until tomorrow when I can write up my comments/critique right after reading the story (fresh read = better comments).
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Apr 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

Oh, I'm writing my comments now, too.

I'm even proactively writing comments on the remaining 5 or 10 or however many.

"Wow, some great imagery here, but I thought the ending felt a little flat - guess you ran out of time. Neat idea, though!"

Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just adding my comments to the Word doc...I can copy and paste them tomorrow. I'm still trying to figure out a way to not comment on a few so it isn't obvious which one is mine.
Beth
Member # 2192

Just comment on your own, too.

Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

It's hard to comment on my own. I didn't like it much while I was writing it, but after reading it again...it turned out better than I expected. I wouldn't call it great, but I sort of like it.

Ending was still too abrupt.

[This message has been edited by Lord Darkstorm (edited April 25, 2005).]

Beth
Member # 2192

so say that! "I sort of like this, but the ending's too abrupt. Good job."

All you're trying to do is fake out the rest of us; you don't need to deliver a substantive review.

TaShaJaRo
Member # 2354

- posted      Profile for TaShaJaRo   Email TaShaJaRo         Edit/Delete Post 
LDS - I comment on my own as well, following pretty much the same format as Beth suggested. I also read what others are saying and kind of mimic that because usually they're right!
Posts: 225 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.