Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Serenity

Author Topic: Serenity
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

- posted      Profile for Jeraliey   Email Jeraliey         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, for any of you who are as pathetically nerdy as I am: The trailer for the Firefly movie, Serenity, was just posted.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/universal/serenity/

Posts: 1041 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the title of this topic and I said to myself: "That had better be the Firefly movie!"

Yay for Firefly!

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
limo
Member # 2470

- posted      Profile for limo           Edit/Delete Post 
I can never get quick time to work!!!!#&*^$^##
It's not nerdy. I am very cool and I like that stuff.
heheheheh (insane but cool)

Posts: 112 | Registered: Apr 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
cvgurau
Member # 1345

- posted      Profile for cvgurau   Email cvgurau         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool

Wow.

I haven't seen the series, but I'm gonna.

Now, seeing as it's been cancelled, I feel kinda bad for not supporting it. But then, if it hadn't been cancelled, it wouldn't have been made into a movie.

So many...conflicting...emotions...

Posts: 552 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

- posted      Profile for Jeraliey   Email Jeraliey         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the best news is that they seem to have designs on reviving the series if the movie flies...after they make two more movies. So go see it!!!!!!!!!!
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
RFLong
Member # 1923

- posted      Profile for RFLong           Edit/Delete Post 
OMG

Can't wait. I got the box set DVD of the series for Christmas and watched it almost to death while on maternity leave. One of the best sf series of recent times (if not ever). I have to go and mail the link to my husband.

Trailer just so good - lost for words! - Need a lie down...

Yay!
R

Posts: 284 | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
dpatridge
Member # 2208

- posted      Profile for dpatridge   Email dpatridge         Edit/Delete Post 
am i the only one who hasn't heard about this before now?

so the same guy who wrote Buffy and Angel is writing this. it looks cool. and, although i didn't care for buffy nearly as much, i LOVED angel and miss that show a lot, so i'm already looking forward to it. if he does anywhere near as interesting a job with the future than he does with mysticism i'm going to enjoy it.

/me looks at his currently empty list of movies-to-see and adds one with glee

Posts: 477 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

It was (is) an excellent SF television program, completely hampered by the studio execs who decided not to air the first episode in favor of the second, which threw everyone. It is a wild west meets space milieu. Awesome.

Watch Firefly! And watch Farscape, too! It's hokey, but it's brilliant (and perhaps the funniest and darkest SF series, completely discounting Red Dwarf's humor of course).

dpatridge
Member # 2208

i've seen parts of farscape... i thought it was a ridiculously cliche program. hokey is too kind imo...

but then again, teto, teto. (yes, i made up my own word. it's based on a common saying.)

RFLong
Member # 1923

- posted      Profile for RFLong           Edit/Delete Post 
I've got to agree with HSO on this one.

The thing about Farscape is that if you only see one or two episodes your opinion of the series will be completely different from someone who saw a different one or two episodes.

It was creative and challenging because you could never predict which way the story would go and where they would take it next. To quote a friend of mine who had just watched the cartoon episode:

"Just when I think they can't come up with a way to mess with my head anymore, they take it to a whole new dimension of head-messing."

Except he didn't use "mess".

Honestly, I'd advise you to give it another go - or try the mini series Peacekeeper Wars.

Firefly though... Firefly was just wonderful on so many levels. The bottom line is that it was written for a thinking sf fan - probably why the studio execs couldn't cope with it. They don't expect us to want to use our brains!

R

Posts: 284 | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

Yes. One of Farscape's shining factors was that when one problem seemed to have resolution, it actually opened up a dozen more issues to deal with.

In the do-gooder world of Star Trek, each episode is a self-contained unit of joy and happiness. Everything is always resolved satisfactorily, save for maybe the Borg and a few other storylines.

In Farscape, there was never an easy solution. A solution always meant that something else would go horribly awry. Just like you'd expect in real life. Real life isn't clean, it's messy. Problems compound, compromises are made that are not ideal, and more importantly, battles that are fought are not always won. Farscape did this to perfection. The good guys weren't always good. They didn't always win. Sometimes they had to run away to survive. Sometimes they got lucky. There were no Deus Ex Machina storylines, and there was always a price to be paid for every action.

Farscape also did not take itself seriously. So even in the most tense moments, there was humor, just like real life often is (or should be).

Some of the ideas were "cliché", sure... but many of them had new twists and they felt fresh. And really, you can't beat puppets (or Muppets) as space aliens.

And also, only one species of alien even looked remotely human, and that was the Peacekeepers, and there was a very good reason for that (which was dealt with satisfactorily).

Farscape was so far away from the gooey goodness of Star Trek, that once I watched my first two episodes of Farscape, I never watched another crap episode of Star Trek again. (Except to sample Enterprise, which seemed to have potential, but I moved to England and haven't seen an episode since).

/end opinion... don't hate me for hating Star Trek.

dpatridge
Member # 2208

i don't. although i may disagree with some things...

star trek was definitely cliche, and didn't require too much thinking, but somehow i was willing to forgive them. until enterprise. enterprise was just the unforgivable sin.

as for farscape: it was peacekeeper that i saw, and didn't like. maybe if i managed to get a hold of a different part of the story...

TaShaJaRo
Member # 2354

- posted      Profile for TaShaJaRo   Email TaShaJaRo         Edit/Delete Post 
I just saw the newest Serenity trailer last night and it's going to be a long summer waiting for it.

I was so upset when the took Dark Angel off the air to start this new show Firefly but then really got into Firefly and then they cancelled that! I don't usually go see movies in the theater but this one I will, just to support them. And because it looks awesome. I am also hoping that if enough people go see it that it will revive the series.

Posts: 225 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
dpatridge
Member # 2208

for some reason thinking stories only have a real market in books. Angel got cancelled because it stopped making the sales because it started getting too complicated.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.