Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » What pubs (public houses) do you dream about being in?

Author Topic: What pubs (public houses) do you dream about being in?
shadowynd
Member # 2077

- posted      Profile for shadowynd   Email shadowynd         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Darn it, when I saw this thread I though it was going to be about drinking establishments. I mean, I like a nice country pub with a roaring fire and all that stuff

Ah, that's what I thought the other thread was also. Just for fun, then, let's start a thread for that!

What fictional pub/bar/inn/restaurant would you most like to be able to walk into?

Susan

EDIT: And tell us what work your choice is featured in, too!

[This message has been edited by shadowynd (edited June 17, 2005).]

Posts: 350 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
shadowynd
Member # 2077

I'll toss one out, to start. The White Hart, to be able to listen to the tales therefrom firsthand.

Susan

EDIT: from _Tales From the White Hart_ by Arthur C. Clarke

A smidgin (there are many more shorts in the book:

http://books.jayslair.com/acc_whitehart.html

[This message has been edited by shadowynd (edited June 17, 2005).]

Gwalchmai
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Gwalchmai   Email Gwalchmai         Edit/Delete Post 
And when I saw both threads I was trying to work out how one person had managed to double post under two different names!

Anyway, as for fictional pub, I think it would have to be The Rookery on Balaia simply because the Unnkown Warrior is one hell of a hero.

Posts: 156 | Registered: Nov 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Taverna Gruff
Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly...I don't tend to read fiction about places I'd actually like to visit. I suppose that pubs are a good example of this. I really like reading about common rooms, inns, taverns, et al. But I'd hate to actually walk into such a place.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
shadowynd
Member # 2077

Ah, any pub where they tell wonderful stories would be good for me. And one need not imbibe to enjoy the stories-- just drink of the atmosphere!

Susan

Doc Brown
Member # 1118

- posted      Profile for Doc Brown   Email Doc Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
Calvin's Bemis Ballroom in Bemis, West Virginia.

Calvin's is not fictional, it is stranger than fiction.

Posts: 976 | Registered: May 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
The pub in Hobbiton would be nice, I think it was called the Green Dragon?

In real life my husband went to the pub where the Inklings used to meet. He was so excited about seeing the place, but he was pretty disappointed. The management has changed in recent years and the pub has very much gone downhill, he said. It was quite sad.

Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
Callahan's, on pun night.

(Featured in the various Callahan's stories by Spider Robinson.)

[This message has been edited by EricJamesStone (edited June 18, 2005).]

Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
The Bird and Baby, in Oxford, where the Inklings used to hang out. I went there! I have a suspicion that when Lewis and Tolkien were there, they didn't have Buffalo wings.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

quote:
just drink of the atmosphere!

Yeah, that's pretty exactly what I meant

shadowynd
Member # 2077

Survivor, that's the beauty of being able to select a fictional pub. The atmosphere might be very different indeed from the average worldly pubs we have to face-- or not-- in our every day lives. *g*

Perhaps in your fictional pub of choice, no one ever gets drunk or obnoxious. Haven't read of one like that? Well, then, maybe we need to write one! *VBG*

Susan

Survivor
Member # 213

Well, I have to admit that I'm not fond of the oder of liquor.

The problem is that most fictional pubs are full of, well...mammals, to put it delicately. And the one's that are full of non-mammals aren't the kind of places that any sane being would want to visit anyway. Non-mammals go there for nefarious purposes, fun not usually being on the list.

Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
The Crossroads Tavern, really it's an Rp club, but it's an increadible setting. it has a infinate amount of upper floors. and once in a while there is loud crashing noise but nobody wants to go up an find out why. (well I did but that's beside the point.)

. That

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
dpatridge
Member # 2208

- posted      Profile for dpatridge   Email dpatridge         Edit/Delete Post 
well... I can't think of any that are in any published work that I'd like to visit, but there's always my own invention: the trabs. I think it would be a very awe-inspiring sight to see...

Since none of you are really well acquainted with them, trab is shorthand for transbeamer. A science-fiction transportation device I created for my WIP which is rather similar to the Star Trek "transporter" EXCEPT that it can only go between two of the devices, you cannot beam off to some location without a device available there to rematerialize you.

For this reason, the society in which this was invented transformed all the airports into Transbeamer Halls. Shorthand for Transbeamer Halls being "the trabs." Many a storyteller lines these halls, hoping to attract travelers to stop and listen for a while.

My WIP is set so that a couple of cynical men who happen to know each other meet up in the trabs and then wander over to a storyteller near the exit into the town who tells the inner story. The outer story is about the reactions of one of these cynics to the inner story. The third book will shift focus and there will only be one story, that of the cynic now on a quest to repeat the actions of his forebears as told to him by the storyteller...

Anyways, I've rambled on enough about this. Suffice it to say that the trabs are a very magnificent engineering feat, and I'd absolutely love to be able to spend more time in them than I actually do.

Posts: 477 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
The 'Broom and Barrel' from Gene Wolf's A Devil in the Forest. or that one in Cherryh's Chernevog

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited June 23, 2005).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Why would you turn airports into transbeamer hubs? Wouldn't it make more sense to leave them as airports, since that's what they're located and built to do best?

I'd think that you'd want to have transbeamer hubs located more like metro/subway stations.

dpatridge
Member # 2208

- posted      Profile for dpatridge   Email dpatridge         Edit/Delete Post 
Transbeamers serve the same purpose as airports do, except that they can also go between planets.

Turning someone into an energy mass and transporting them at the speed of light to be returned to being a physical mass is not efficient enough to be used for in-city transportation, they use high-powered EM fields for in-city travel. Faster than walking or driving, which, cars are no longer used and many people think of them as myth or as never even having existed. Of course, EM-based transportation isn't as fast as the trabs, but it is more efficient than them.

Look at it this way: a trab has to keep track of both the physical and energy-based characteristics of an individual. A trab ALSO needs to keep track of where they originated from and where they are going within cubic micrometers. In addition to all the data, which is in excess of several terabytes per traveler, these things have to do the actual conversion and transmitting to the recieving trab. On the recieving end, the process must be reversed.

Now would it make all that much sense to use such a means of travel for local transportation?

Airplanes are no longer used, so Airports are no longer needed. Airports filled enough space to be able to fit these monstrosities, so they just tore down the old structure, put up the new structure, and filled it with trabs.

But let's not take this topic too far off track.

Posts: 477 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Why aren't airplanes used anymore? And, er, why would you use an installation fixed to a planetary surface for interplanetary travel? I suppose that we should return this thread to it's original topic, but I didn't have any fictional gathering spots I'd like to visit "for real". So derailment is fine with me.

By the way, if we open things up a bit...I'd like to be able to hang out in the central ecosphere of an unmanned Wraithbane class cruiser. That way, I'd also be able to walk other cool places

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to be a spoilsport here and edit the topic title to avoid confusion.

Sorry about that, but not sorry enough to leave things as they are.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.