Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Tor Books and the Mainstream

Author Topic: Tor Books and the Mainstream
cicero
Member # 1602

- posted      Profile for cicero           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in the process of completing a three volume novel series (quite sadly, I might add, as I had always wanted to not write a trilogy), and am considering what tack to pursue in achieving publication.

Tor Books' sumbissions pile is one possibility, another is seeking representation. On the one hand, I'm quite fond of Tor, and everything I hear of them is wonderful.

On the other, I would prefer to seek publication in a 'mainstream' venue. My story is science fiction in milieu only; it's written for the general audience.

Does anyone have a recommendation? I've heard excellent things about Writer's House, and have considered submitting there. But there is always Tor, and that fondness ...

Suggestions much appreciated.

Posts: 26 | Registered: Feb 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
There's nothing that says you can't submit your novel to Tor's slushpile while also submitting to agents to see if they'll represent you.
Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
KatFeete
Member # 2161

- posted      Profile for KatFeete   Email KatFeete         Edit/Delete Post 
Tor has a sister imprint, Forge, which is mainstream. You may wish to look into them.

http://www.tor.com/forge.html

Otherwise, I generally suggest looking for an agent first. It's generally acknowledged that publishers look more closely at agented works than the general slush. Of course, the reverse is also true, but it's possible to go back to an agent and say "Hey, I've got an offer from a publisher, would you reconsider?" whereas "Hey, I've got an agent now, would you reconsider?" meets a lukewarmm response at best.

I keep a list of good science fiction/fantasy agents:

http://www.katfeete.net/writing/agents.html

But I recommend you research each agent on your own. I'm not infalliable, and there's a lot of scammers out there.

Posts: 92 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Thieftess
Member # 1683

- posted      Profile for Thieftess   Email Thieftess         Edit/Delete Post 
If it's sci-fi, Baen also accepts unagented submissions.
Posts: 280 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.