Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » "This forum is for writers age 18 and older" (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: "This forum is for writers age 18 and older"
pixydust
Member # 2311

- posted      Profile for pixydust   Email pixydust         Edit/Delete Post 
RagDoll, I think Survivor gave you good advice. Make an effort to be unemotional. Just write and hang out, but don't expect everyone to be happy about it. As long as you behave you'll be fine.

And Kathleen, I think you've done a wonderful job keeping everyone in line as much as possible. I think this is a great place to hang out and I'm very thankful for it. I've met some really great people here. Thanks for all your hard work! And thanks a million to OSC for his wonderful contribution to the writing community.

Posts: 811 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
AaronAndy
Member # 2763

- posted      Profile for AaronAndy   Email AaronAndy         Edit/Delete Post 
You publicly thanking OSC here made me wonder, do you think ever actually logs onto his own website and reads these boards? I imagine he's a pretty busy guy, but then again he did go throgh all the trouble of putting them up for us. I wonder if he has a login here...
Posts: 49 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Roberts
Member # 2804

- posted      Profile for Jon Roberts   Email Jon Roberts         Edit/Delete Post 
Mystic's statement, while not being entirely correct, does have some shred of truth in it. I know it was true for me. It still is. Every time I post something I'm terrified that I'm going to make a stupid grammatical mistake or say something patently immature. I felt like that when I joined the board three years ago and I still feel like that now that I'm over eighteen.

If I have any right (or excuse or what have you) to offer advice to under-eighteen members, it is this: don't dwell on your age, remember that you are a guest, and tread on eggshells. For what it's worth: I did it and I have yet to receive any mailbombs.

Jon a.k.a BladeOfWords

Posts: 20 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
AaronAndy, OSC does hang out on ocassion in the reader forums. He rarely, if ever, joins us here at the Workshop. I've been here over a year and haven't seen him yet. He logs in as himself.

My dear Ragdoll,

1. Survivor is absolutely right, and your last post absolutely proves his point.

2. Your response showed your maturity, or lack thereof. And you have yet to prove to me that you are confident. Cocky, maybe. They're two different things. I am gaining confidence in my work but I don't go around telling everyone how great I think I am, or that if they just give me a chance I'll blow their socks off. That's not confidence--it's cockiness. Confidence is humble. Cockiness is immature.

3. 'Or,' as applied in my last post, is exclusive. I never said you were deceptive. Some of the young writers here have been--that bothers me, A LOT! You are the insistent variety.

4. No one yet has asked you to leave. We have simply stated our preference that you not participate here. Watch and learn all you want, but don't expect me to respect you just because you think I should. Respect is something you earn--the hard way.

5. In truth, Ragdoll, we have to impose rules and guidelines somewhere; and the more people we allow to skirt those rules/guidelines, the more people we have who think they are also 'exceptions to the rule.' And the more exceptions to the rule we have, the less meaning the rules/guidelines have until the whole system collapses into lawlessness. We're seeing the symptoms of that in the 'maturity shift' that many of us have noticed. Those of us who have strong objections to teens joining us have those objections because we want to nip a potential problem in the bud--and do it now.

So, I have a proposition:
There are a number of adult writers here, myself NOT included because I simply don't have the time, who seem like they would be interested in mentoring some of our more youthful members. So start a group. A group of teen writers, with parental permission, monitored through a group format by an adult who can teach and guide them OFF the site. I know that's happening with at least one other teen writer who is registered at Hatrack.

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

Ooh! Good advice, Jon!

He's one of those few exceptions to the rule that actually worked. Heed his advice!

kgator
Member # 2787

- posted      Profile for kgator   Email kgator         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be willing to be one of the helpful adults. I've taught writing to sixth graders for the last three years, so I have some experience in proofreading, and I currently have alot of free time because we moved and I'm still looking for a teaching job. My only problem is that I have absolutely NO knowledge of how to run a site like that from the technical standpoint.
Does anyone have any ideas?

Posts: 23 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
I think there are three primary issues that most of us have with underage writers:

1) Emotional and immature behavior (getting angry at critiques, having hurt feelings when someone is merely speaking an opinion, taking things personally when no personal attack was made, rude and rebellious "I ain't conforming with no stupid, lame rules" obnoxious behavior.)
2) Lack of mechanical skill (ie, punctuation, spelling, grammar)
3) Lack of life experience that leaves a hole in the realism of the writing. (Trying to write as an adult with no experience of BEING an adult leads to lack of understanding of motive, logical choices, etc.)

These things are expected of teens and not bad, in and of themselves. The point is, these issues take up a tremendous amount of the time required to critique a younger person's work. I think all of us want to be working with people at our own skill level, or hopefully a few notches higher, not trying to mentor someone who hasn't yet grasped the basic mechanics of writing.

It takes me 4-5 times longer to do a thorough critique for an inexperienced writer because of the numerous mechanical errors and pure "adults don't act like this in real life" silliness in it. The other side of the coin is that the critiques I've gotten back from younger folk show their inexperience as well. One critique amounted to something like: "It didn't work for me," which was useless information because it didn't contain specifics.

I don't mind being around teenagers. I LIKE teenagers (particularly now that my own kids are grown and no longer trying to grind me into emotional dust.)

But I don't like spending my valuable time--time that is precious to me--teaching someone basic 8th grade English skills. I expect people here at Hatrack to have mastered those basic skills already.

Preferring to hang out with other adults of a similar skill level is really about our desire to spend every ounce of OUR time learning from each other. Teens, it's hard for US to learn if we spend all our time teaching YOU basic skills that you would probably have developed by the time you were 18. It's really not fair for you to demand that we become teachers for you, when by doing so we have to spend so much time teaching you the basics that we end up giving up the time we might have spent learning new things too.

To me, the difference lies entirely on whether the teenager--or any writer, for that matter--has mastered basic English skills, and whether there is enough emotional maturity to handle critique without having a melt-down or a hissy fit.

[This message has been edited by Elan (edited August 18, 2005).]

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Phrasingsmith
Member # 2773

- posted      Profile for Phrasingsmith   Email Phrasingsmith         Edit/Delete Post 
kgator said:
quote:
I'd be willing to be one of the helpful adults. I've taught writing to sixth graders for the last three years, so I have some experience in proofreading, and I currently have alot of free time because we moved and I'm still looking for a teaching job. My only problem is that I have absolutely NO knowledge of how to run a site like that from the technical standpoint.
Does anyone have any ideas?

kgator, that's very kind of you to help these young dedicated writers. I'll help you out on the technical things. I'll send you an email so we can take this off-forum.

Posts: 62 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
RagDoll
Member # 2757

- posted      Profile for RagDoll   Email RagDoll         Edit/Delete Post 
Im not sure I know what to say. Every word I type is scrutinized, and despite my constant attempts to "fit in', im abused more and more. You say to be unemotional, but its impossible when it seems im being excluded from yet another group becuase im not good enough. As far as I can tell, you dislike the idea of minors on the site because they impede your work. However, your doing that all on your own by continuing this argument. I'll just go. I haven't gotten any real work done since I first commented on this topic. Im sorry you feel Im immature, but if you cant simply do your own thing without throwing a constant fit, then who among us is really immature? I've done nothing to deserve this treatment, and yes, it is personal. I could easily compare it to rascism, or sexism, being so tormented because of my age. I can't help that I wasnt born earlier in the 80's. I didn't come to this site expecting special treatment, or any treatment at all, but I naturally assumed a group of "mature" adults would just allow me to work in peace. That's clearly not the case, so I'll give in to the majority. I didn't make this place a high school, it was one already. Rather than locker room politics, its office politics, same thing no matter what you call it. Im just disappointed to find that age does not change ignorance. I kept anticsipating high school graduation to escape the judgmental morons who inhabit its halls. I see now that nowhere, not even a site intended for intelligent people, is void of morons. Of course Im owed nothing better, but I had, for a moment, hoped id have better anyway. Damn the optimist in me. Thank you Kathleen, for offering me a spot on the site. I hate that I've been driven off. Maybe Ill come back on my 18th birthday, because apparently on that day, all the intelligence and maturity in the world will fill my head and ill be totally different than I am now. Im sure I'll get the response that maturity means keeping these grievances to myself, but none of you have kept your distaste for my pressence silent, so I guess I truely am an equal.

Sincerely,
Amanda
WRITER

Posts: 35 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
RagDoll
Member # 2757

PS Feel free to e-mail me about the young writers group, should it take off. Thanks alot to those who feel I deserve a place to go, and even more to those who plan to supervise that place.
Elan
Member # 2442

Well, I guess our attempts to offer an explanation didn't go over very well, did they?

This would be an example of #1 as I cited earlier.

Sorry you are choosing to go, Amanda. We were asked for an explanation, and we gave it. I know it's hard to receive a critique, particularly when it's aimed at an age group and not a manuscript. But we adults seem to be stuck in a "no-win" situation when we cannot give our honest opinions on a topic without being branded racist/ageist and called hypocrites. We could soften our words and our tone, but that would dilute the honesty.

You have a lot of potential as a writer. Age will increase your skill in every area of your life. Good luck, and check in with us from time to time.

pixydust
Member # 2311

- posted      Profile for pixydust   Email pixydust         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd just like to point out this:

quote:
I think there are three primary issues that most of us have with underage writers:
1) Emotional and immature behavior (getting angry at critiques, having hurt feelings when someone is merely speaking an opinion, taking things personally when no personal attack was made, rude and rebellious "I ain't conforming with no stupid, lame rules" obnoxious behavior.)
2) Lack of mechanical skill (ie, punctuation, spelling, grammar)
3) Lack of life experience that leaves a hole in the realism of the writing. (Trying to write as an adult with no experience of BEING an adult leads to lack of understanding of motive, logical choices, etc.)

It was not directed at you, RagDoll. Elan was just trying to clarify the reasons for her, and others, not wanting teens on the sight as a "rule". It's nothing personal, and should not be taken that way. Though, I definitely think that calling us all hypocrites is not the way to convince us of your stability.

I'm sorry to see you go. I think you could have contributed to this sight if you'd given it a chance. Perhaps I'll pop on over and see how you're doing once in a while. I'd like to help if I can.

Posts: 811 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

Pixydust is correct, RagDoll. None of those comments were made with YOU in mind. They reflect a pattern of behaviors I've observed over the past few months.
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Hm. It's so easy to avoid argument, usually, by drifting away from the conversations with argument in them.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
kgator
Member # 2787

Phrasingsmith has been kind enough to work out the technical stuff on a new forum, and it looks like we have a site up right now. I think we'll need a few days to work out the fine points before asking younger writers to join. I was wondering a few things:

1. Can there be some sort of note to direct people under 18 from this site to the under 18 forum?

2. If there's anyone else interested in this, please let me or phrasingsmith know.

Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, u2, I think it's great that you're doing a young writer's site! I know that no one here wanted anyone cast adrift, even those who wanted their site back for adults. Or, to speak just for myself, I know that I didn't want anyone cast adrift. I began to write when I was about ten and I wrote all through high school. I ended high school in 1995, just before the internet became very popular, and so I was isolated in my pursuits. I think it would have helped me greatly to have a place to leran and share. I'm not sure if, back then, *this* would have been the place, but I would definitely have appreciated someplace.

There is, of course, in inherent problem with the discussion we've been having. Pointing out to teenagers what elements make them teenagers is one of the likeliest ways to get a teenaged reaction from them. We have now taken on the role of the adults who get in the way of what they want...we don't understand them, we are morons, we are discriminating. I might have thought the same thing ten years ago.

I remember adults trying to explain to me that "I would understand when I was older." and I thought they were nuts and just trying to impose their will on me. They were right, though. There are some things that can only be learned with age and experienc -- no amount of explanations or psycho-babble will help.

Thought others will read, my comments here are directed at the adults...we need to be the ones to end this conversation.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

"When you're older you'll understand" was offensive to me as a teen, and still is. It doesn't answer the issue, it changes the subject to the person spoken to, and it's condescending.

How about the same way we do critiques? Let it be about the story (or the issue) -- not what we imagine to be wrong with the writer.

djvdakota
Member # 2002

kgator, give us the link, maybe post it in your Introduction as well, then some of us can direct younger writers there as they show up on Hatrack.

I think that's great, though not exactly what I had in mind. I was thinking an email kind of writer's group--something very similar to what we already have going on among the adult writers and their groups. But if you can get them a website, GREAT!!

J
Member # 2197

- posted      Profile for J   Email J         Edit/Delete Post 
Wbriggs--I said the exact same thing when I was a teenager. I took "you'll understand when you're older" as an insult to my considerable intelligence--as I assume you do.

But now that I am older, I know that's not what it is. It's about wisdom, in Biblical terms, that can only be gained with time. As a teenager, you haven't had enough time on this earth to learn some things from experience. Love, for example. How can you know what it's like to love someone for a decade? You haven't been around that long. How can you know what it's like to bear the responsibilities of hard work, day after day for years on end, with no second chances if you fail? How can you know the stresses of marriage, of child-raising, of mortages? You're capable of doing all these things, and you know it, and that's why your frustrated. But you haven't done them yet--and therein lies the entire point.

Experience is an irreplaceable teacher. It's most of the reason that adults think, talk, and act differently than teenagers.

Surely, now that you've progressed beyond your teen years, you see how inoffensive this statement is? How it truly is a plain statement of fact?

[This message has been edited by J (edited August 18, 2005).]

Posts: 683 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

No, I see it as an ad hominem attack, and an evasion. Instead of addressing the issue, I can address what's wrong with the other person. This isn't merely unsound; it's insulting.

It is true that in the best case, older heads are wiser. But self-proclaimed wise men aren't very convincing, to me. It's better to show wisdom -- and one way to do that is to show respect for others, in ways they can understand.

J
Member # 2197

- posted      Profile for J   Email J         Edit/Delete Post 
It can be an ad hominem attack and an evasion, but most of the time it's neither.

Haven't you ever tried to explain something to a teenager, and found that they were just incapable of really understanding? Not because they lack intelligence, but because they lack experience.

For example, trying to explain to a 15-year old girl why she should do her homework, dress modestly, and not date an 18-year old dropout is like trying to explain sight to the blind. The girl's conclusions are unshakeable--but wrong. Wrong, not because her intelligence is defective, but rather because she has normal intelligence operating on insufficient data. Her data is insufficent because she hasn't had enough time to collect it. The tragedy is that she doesn't know that her data is insufficient to make a good decision unguided. Usually, an adult will try to express this fact to her, and usually the expression will be something like "you'll understand when you're older."

Posts: 683 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

I think this exchange between wbriggs and J is hilarious! Why? Because here we have an adult basically saying, "I've been there, so I know what I'm talking about," and a kid basically saying, "WHATEVER!"

J is SO RIGHT on this. And someday, when wbriggs is also a grown-up, he'll do the "I've been there, so I know what I'm talking about," and some kid'll say to him, "WHATEVER!" THEN he'll get it. But ONLY then. (Deny it all you want, Will. We all did. None of us EVER thought we'd be sounding like our parents. But I'd bet we all do!)

We all have to grow up to that certain point. But at some point, we finally come to the conclusion that those older than us really have been there and they really do understand and we really should listen to their advice.

I'm old enough now that when someone older than me gives me advice I listen long and hard before discounting their advice; instead of simply discounting them because my inexperienced and inflated ego leads me to believe that they're just being evasive or self-proclaimed wise men. They ARE wise because they HAVE been there. That's all there is to it.

JmariC
Member # 2698

- posted      Profile for JmariC   Email JmariC         Edit/Delete Post 
How does one explain the change of viewpoint that comes with age?
How do you convince a young boy/man that fart jokes are not going to be funny when they are older, except as fleeting moments or as reminisces?
What words do you use to show that you felt that way too, but due to some intangible moment you grew up, increased your maturity and no longer feel that way, and have the kid believe you?

[This message has been edited by JmariC (edited August 18, 2005).]

Posts: 233 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
RagDoll
Member # 2757

Elan, it wasn't a critique, it was an attack. I can take constructive criticism better than most, and that was not constructive. It was petty. I absolutely understand that the comments were written with the observed behavior of minors in the last few months in mind, but it doesnt make me one of them. Again, when the young writers site gets going, drop me line.
RagDoll
Member # 2757

Wbriggs, you said it better than I ever could. Thanks for being on my side (assuming you are, ofcourse)
Elan
Member # 2442

um... I'm of the impression that wbriggs IS an adult, and a college professor, if I recall. I forget which thread had the link to his website.

Will had a good point: maybe those of us sick of this argument should just let it die. I know I am sick of it. Let's get on to something we WANT to talk about, like writing!!

Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
This conversation is absolutely fascinating, both the one between wbriggs and J, and the one between a handful of adults and RagDoll.

RagDoll, in the interest of understanding your point of view, why did you feel Elan's statement was an attack? Feel free to quote specific phrases to illustrate your point.

(Sorry if I've stepped on your toes, Elan. I'm just really curious at the moment.)

Dang it... simulpost. If y'all are done with this, so am I, I guess.

[This message has been edited by Keeley (edited August 18, 2005).]

Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to take a middle position here, after clarifying something.

While I was leaning towards the "age really is magical" position based on the local evidence (the posts from teenagers), I have a good deal of life experience that tells me that there are exceptions.

I don't recall that many people ever told me that I would "understand" when I got older. For me, it was simply logical to believe that greater experience would mean that people older than me would know more. So people didn't tend to assert it every five seconds. The problem as I got older, is that it became obvious that it wasn't true. The problem was that I had assumed (based on considerable evidence) that I was the same species as those other people, and could be expected to follow a comparable developmental path. Whether or not the first is true (and it isn't worth arguing over without some more evidence), the second was definitely not true.

I was wrong to think that all I had to do was "grow up" and I'd understand the way adult humans think. What I had to do was accept that humans are irrational and mostly driven by weird impulses that I could only identify. Really understanding them was not and would never be possible for me, though I did come to understand many of the practical reasons for many human behaviors.

An interesting paradox, eh? It is normal for humans to go through a period, starting near puberty, where they begin to excessively distinquish themselves from the community that raised them. This assists in a number of survival related behaviors, like exogamy and loyalty to a mate (or several, since males don't have an instinctive sense that loyalty to one reproductive partner precludes loyalty to others, they must be taught that concept, it doesn't occur naturally). The feelings of alienation that prompt this behavior are just part of what makes humans human.

I didn't have those feelings, and nobody ever explained to me that the lack of such feelings was a definite indicator that I was different. I felt that all my "peers" were acting very strange. It never occured to me that I was the one that wasn't normal, for failing to become a teen.

On a side note, my brother, now in his early forties, thinks that fart jokes are hilarious. Not as funny as "no peeing" signs, though (part of this humor comes from asia, where you really would have found signs forbidding public urination in many places within the last decade, though I'm sure that the social norm has changed enough to render them largely redundant).

The point is that I know that there are exceptions to the rule. And I make my own judgements based on whether a person can write, not based on how old or what species I think that person happens to be.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

Ironically, Keeley, when I made my last comment that listed the issues I have observed around teenagers and their skill level/behaviors, I hadn't really seen RagDoll as being one of the behavior problems. I won't name names, but she wasn't on my mental list. Unfortunately, a comment truly meant to be generic and not addressed to any one person was taken personally and hurt her feelings. I do feel bad about the fact that my comment was misconstrued.

Ok. NOW I'm done. *deep sigh*

djvdakota
Member # 2002

I'm done, too. No one's winning here, though we're all trying to.
Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be sorry to see RagDoll go. I liked her writing style, even though I didn't request the rest of her stories due to time, condition (just a few more weeks and this baby's OUT haha), and a lack of interest in the subject matter. Also, she seemed more rational than some others.

wbriggs explanation is interesting, though I don't agree with him. But then, my experience of adolescence was very different than most teens. Because of certain factors, I didn't get frustrated with adults until I was in college. And then it wasn't a matter of age, it was a matter of expectations: I found that professors weren't people to look up to above anyone else and that all of life is politics (i.e. the act of allocating valued items... if I remember the definition correctly). Something RagDoll has just recently discovered, albeit in a writer's forum, not college. I also found that the schmucks I'd been around in high school were there at college as well and that they weren't as awful as I remembered them. Or maybe life changed them. Maybe it changed me.

Either way, I'm sorry to see good writers go and I wish them luck on their forum.

[This message has been edited by Keeley (edited August 18, 2005).]

Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

Dakota, I like you, and consider you a friend. The story you're telling yourself about me, here, is offensive to me, so I won't engage you on it. I do invite you to consider whether convincing me I'm wrong is worth what you're doing here.

--

JMariC, I don't think that sort of thing can be conveyed -- certainly not to an unwilling party. (Or maybe we just aren't wise enough to convey it yet.) I'm just saying we can be polite about it. Really, that's all.

--

RagDoll, my thought was just this: if a conversation is offensive to you, you can drop out of it, like I just did with something, above.

And welcome to the group. Got anything to post in F&F?

[Edit for simultaneous posts, or things I missed:

Bye, RagDoll.]

[This message has been edited by wbriggs (edited August 18, 2005).]

djvdakota
Member # 2002

Will, I stand corrected.

I have revised my mental image of you. But not my opinion of the ridiculousness of the argument.

I think it particularly interesting that you accuse the adults of ad hominem attacks when a reading of the previous posts show quite plainly that it is the youth around here who are most guilty of such. if any of the adults have stooped to addressing what's wrong with the person rather than addressing the issue, it's because the issue has been ignored by the youth, who think a logical argument/explanation IS a personal attack.

How insulting is that?

yanos
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for yanos   Email yanos         Edit/Delete Post 
folks, just stop arguing and do some writing. I mean really!! You've said your piece. enough now.
Posts: 575 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
RagDoll
Member # 2757

I dont feel that anything Elan said specifically was an attack, she just mentioned that sometimes its hard to take a critique, and I dont feel I was critiqued. Being critiqued is saing something you've done wrong, be it in writting or otherwise, and offering a suggestion on how to fix it. I was told that teenagers dont belong here and arent welcome by many. I didn't do anything wrong, nor was I offered any ways to make me older. I think I'll pop on from time to time, maybe submit a story here and there, but it's time to end this silly conversation.
Miriel
Member # 2719

- posted      Profile for Miriel   Email Miriel         Edit/Delete Post 
I, for one, would be sad to see you go entierly, RagDoll. Especially with that last post, you showed great maturity. It isn't easy being on the other end of argument with a bunch of vetrans against you, and I think you handled it far better than I would have (when I feel ganged up on, my reaction is to sit in a little ball, sulk, eat chocholate, and read Tolkien -- and then feel better because, after all, I know more about Tolkien than they do -- I mean, that's what's really important, isn't it?).

I found the discussion in F&F on your story "Damaged" very enjoyable. I tend to agree with a lot of what the older folk have been saying...there has been a lot of immature behavior on the site lately, and I've gotten frustrated with a member now and again. I don't know their ages, though. They could have been thirteen or fifty-three. They were probably older than me. (For reference, yes, I'm older than eighteen, but still younger than most on this site). Immature behavior, from whatever age-source, annoys me. Anyway, all of that was really to say -- if you post in F&F again, I for one will look it up and take you seriously. It's hard to post this, because I mostly agree with the adults posting, and I'm probably not making myself popular...but, KDW said you were okay to stay, and so I welcome you here. Hope you do well.

Posts: 189 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
RagDoll
Member # 2757

Thank you so much, that means alot. And I always found Haagen Dazs Strawberry ice cream is good to eat while curled into the fetal position. I guess i'll hang around, and I'll try to be a touch less emotional.
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't be less emotional. Be more rational.

That's a good general rule in life, by the way. Be more, rather than less.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
kgator
Member # 2787

Hello everyone,

Phrasingsmith and I have opened that writers' workshop forum we had mentioned before for writers aged 18 or younger ( see the link below this paragraph ). It's currently called the Writers Workshop. (We'll have a vote on a possibe name change later.) This forum is a place where young writers can learn about, talk about, and contribute to writing. Here's the address:

http://www.phpbbforfree.com/forums/?mforum=writers

Sincerely,
-Kgator

p.s: as you can see from the note below, it would be best to sign on after Monday, August 22nd.

* Please Note *

The phpbbforfree.com dedicated server will be going down Sunday the 21st of August at 7pm EST or later for software upgrades, mass backup, and a dedicated server move/upgrade. All hosted forums will be offline during this time. Forum usage will return Monday into Tuesday morning.

Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool.
Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

Very cool.

I'll offer a little advice based on my observations of the now defunct Hatrack Young Writer's Workshop:

1. Let it be a sanctuary for the young. Much of the trouble at the YWW was immature adults acting like bullies. I know that some might interpret the strong resistance to young people joining our forum as bullying. And it's too bad we all let it go that far. But there is some difference. When the little kids push themselves into the big kids circle, they've got to expect some rough treatment, and they've got to expect to have to work VERY hard to prove themselves without whining about the rough treatment or the big kids' resistance to them being there at all. When the bullies push their way into the little kids' circle and start shoving people around, they're just being mean.

2. Keep a tight rein on etiquette. Just like around here, you simply cannot tolerate immaturity or rudeness. Things can degenerate to chaos quickly.

Mystic
Member # 2673

- posted      Profile for Mystic   Email Mystic         Edit/Delete Post 
This thread is starting to sound familiar...
Posts: 162 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
hopekeeper
Member # 2701

- posted      Profile for hopekeeper   Email hopekeeper         Edit/Delete Post 
Um... I hate to say this, but I guess it didn't get out there well enough... I've already MADE a young writers forum. That was the point of this topic... I have 5 members already and I put up a topic in the Group's board... about a month ago...
*sigh* things aren't going well for me...

Posts: 73 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

Hey, you got 5 regulars, you've got a start. It's worth a try. (You might also post a new thread here, or wherever She suggests, to lure in new writers.)

Or are things going poorly for you in other ways?

'Graff
Member # 2648

- posted      Profile for 'Graff   Email 'Graff         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, as a shameless advertisement, go to http://www.apollyein.com .

The group is the largest collection of former members of the Hatrack YW Forums.

Consider looking at the link or, if you're in communication with a young writer looking for a community, forward them to that site, if you would.

Thanks.

-----------
Wellington

[This message has been edited by 'Graff (edited August 07, 2006).]

Posts: 114 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I for one am glad to see these boards out there. Go for it, guys! And if you want to set up your own challenges like the ones at Liberty Hall, feel free to come to me for advice, or...

...come up with something better so that I can come to YOU for advice!

mikemunsil

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
hopekeeper
Member # 2701

- posted      Profile for hopekeeper   Email hopekeeper         Edit/Delete Post 
wbriggs wrote:

Hey, you got 5 regulars, you've got a start. It's worth a try. (You might also post a new thread here, or wherever She suggests, to lure in new writers.)
Or are things going poorly for you in other ways?

Well see here's the deal... I remember the old topic on age and maturity, and I started to notice that the "harshness" (more like EXTREME helpfulness) wasn't really the type of encouragement that I needed. You see, the way I write, I like it better for people to tell me how great it is. That way I feel more skeptical and find more problems to make the story better. I realized that I was in the majority on this issue... anyway the point is that generally at this point in my writing experience I would rather learn by myself than be guided by the host of you very intelligent people.
SO, I devised (along with member "Moonshine") to make a young writers select group of people.
I advertised this here in the groups section, and then I realized the banner at the top. I was dissapointed that it appeared a day after the opening of my forum and I felt that this was where I would get the majority of my memberships from--people who, like me, learn more from themselves than by being... I hate to say "forced" but that's the way it felt when I submitted here. Not that there is anything wrong with that, just that I don't respond that well to that method of teaching.
Anyway, that's why I made this topic... to basically say, "hey, you just cut off one tof the major flows to my future members!" Now unfortunately this has dissolved down into yet ANOTHER age discussion, and while the rest of you have put it behind, I was on vacation... so this is where I rant on and on about why I was dissapointed once more to find that people here were unknowingly doing the exact same thing I was... creating forums for young people. Then I realized how biased I was being about myself and I instantly knew that the people at my forum would have to be... like me, learning because they have the desire (not that any serious writer lacks it... but I usually have a difficult time explaining my abstract ideas to others... unless of course they completely understand in that wierd way).
I looked into another positive flow of positive writers on a literature bulliten board. My message was modded and deleted from the records, and my account took a (minor) hit. ALthough I did pull one member out who saw it before it was deleted, my forum is still left with 5 people while other forums around me are doing the same.
So if the above description of my trials has you a tidbit interested, and you are of young age, I would appreciate you contacting me as soon as possible at dimensionsoldier@gmail.com
I WILL not give out the link so that any of those "seriously immature" people leak into MY site.
Thank you, and (as I have stated before) I completely understand the responses of the adults here... you have to take everything in perspective... that's how I (try) to run my life. So I can see where you all come from.
As I scan through this topic, I would request at least that RagDoll and mythopoetic talk to me on the issue...

Sorry to cause another wave but... DANGIT IT'S MY TURN!

Posts: 73 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.