Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Hard-and-Fast Rules of Writing?

Author Topic: Hard-and-Fast Rules of Writing?
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Some of the comments and subjects in the other threads reminds me of "hard and fast rules"---things no writer, beginner or otherwise, should ever do in his tory. Seems I've seen a lot over the years---usually when somebody's written a story defying them.

The one that comes to my mind right away, about writing Westerns, where you're never, ever supposed to open a story by having a cowboy ride up on his horse and finding a naked woman taking a bath in front of him.

How about the rest of you, sharing a few you've come across, or evolved yourselves, or maybe even written stories in defiance of?

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
For every hard and fast rule, there are counterexamples where someone's made it work.

Don't start out by telling readers why they don't want to read your story, unless you're Lemony Snickett.

Don't use dashes instead of quotation marks on dialog, unless you're Cormac McCarthy.

Don't write about high school students, unless you're J.K. Rowling.

Don't write Finnegans Wake unless you're Joyce.

etc.

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
I interpret those "rules" to mean: "You have to have a vastly superior story to make your manuscript rise above the glut of repetitive, cliche'-ridden morass of similar stories we get on a daily basis with that exact theme."
Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's funny when we start up lists like this and then someone says, "Well so-and-so did it 100 years ago, so it must be OK."

Well, 100 years ago it was OK because it was new and unique and it worked. But what happens next is that every author on the planet tries to copy those techniques that work, and ten years later the market is innundated with similar works. I mean, how many kid-in-a-wizard-school take-offs have there been since Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone?

So it's not really that these techniques/plots are inherently bad. It's really just that they've been overused, and the editors--and their readers--are tired of hearing about them.

So, right now, before anyone else beats me to it, I'm going to add...

No stories about kids in a wizarding school.

Sure, there are ALWAYS exceptions to these 'rules.' But, like has been said before, you have to be doubly good to get them past the editors. With slush piles a mile high, they're looking for any excuse to toss your story in the reject pile. And if a magazine's guidelines say, "No such-and-such kind of stories," DO NOT send them one of those thinking that YOURS is THE ONE to beat the rule. Be confident in your work, not cocky.

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
AndrewR
Member # 1563

- posted      Profile for AndrewR   Email AndrewR         Edit/Delete Post 
The only rule I know is:

Write your story in a recognizable language.

Everything else is guidelines.

Posts: 180 | Registered: Jan 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but there are people who love trying to decipher things that aren't recognizable as language. So that rule has to be tossed as well.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Miriel
Member # 2719

- posted      Profile for Miriel   Email Miriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes...but most of us do Fantasy or Science Fiction. The genre with unrecognizable language that requires decoding is called Literature.
Posts: 189 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL!!
Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
yanos
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for yanos   Email yanos         Edit/Delete Post 
Rule 5: Don't do anything stupid.

5.7.3 Don't put your cup of coffee to close to your computer.

5.7.4 Don't work with your laptop on your lap when you are very tired.

Posts: 575 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought computers, or at least desktop models, came with their own cupholder...

One rule I've come up with is specific only to my own work (as far as I know).

I've written or half-written at least a dozen stories in the last dozen years that start with somebody waking up in bed in the morning. Things generally go on from there, one way or another, but they all start the same way.

Unfortunately, I didn't notice it until I'd written a half-dozen stories beginning that way.

Now, if I start, and find I'm starting at this old familiar place, I continue on, while looking for a new place to start. Sometimes I back up and write a new opening, sometimes I move forward past what I've written, and sometimes I abandon the story and move on to something else. I hate to repeat myself. I hate to repeat myself.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
The real rules:

Double space
12-point font
Plain white paper
proper format
SASE
Accept rejection and move on to the next market.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm ambivalent about the "don't start with the POV character waking up" thing. Because sometimes it contradicts a far more important rule, "start the scene where the scene starts."

If a POV character wakes up and something important happens immediately, then you need to start the scene where it started. That means starting with the POV character waking up. There are scenes that don't begin when the POV character first wakes up. And if you have a scene where nothing more important than the usual morning routine takes place, you should skip it unless that routine contains vital information. So most stories shouldn't begin with the character waking up in the morning. But you shouldn't forbid yourself from starting a scene at the beginning of that scene.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
kgator
Member # 2787

- posted      Profile for kgator   Email kgator         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be curious to see the results of a flash trigger that says that your story must start with:

"your character rides up from somewhere and finds a naked person taking a bath in front of him/her."

[This message has been edited by kgator (edited August 20, 2005).]

[This message has been edited by kgator (edited August 20, 2005).]

Posts: 23 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

Penthouse is not a speculative fiction market.
Beth
Member # 2192

kgator, first you're going to have to win the flash challenge. Then we can write it!

At Scrawl, they did a flash once where the topic was "letters to Penthouse." The one about the monkey was hilarious.

AaronAndy
Member # 2763

- posted      Profile for AaronAndy   Email AaronAndy         Edit/Delete Post 
The only hard fast, cannot-ever-be-broken rule of writing I know is, "Don't post more than 13 lines of anything to the Hatrack forums." Everything else can (and sometimes has to be) broken if the story requires it, and if you're a good enough writer you can get away with it.
Posts: 49 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I like what Survivor said! I have 1 story that starts with MC waking up. He's awakened by the pop of a self-destructing transformer for his futuristic building. This cuts off the power, and thus ventilation, so he's in danger of asphyxiation. That's clearly (to me) where the story starts. Critters.org had people warning me there were too many stories that started there. I feel better thinking about the question of: where SHOULD this story start?
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
There actually is one really, truly, honest-to-goodness hard and fast rule of writing.

Don't bore your reader.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
"There are three rules to writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are." -- Somerset Maugham
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
Dude, someone almost talked me into starting a story with the MC waking up.
Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

- posted      Profile for Doc Brown   Email Doc Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
Kathlene, I beg to differ. "Don't bore the reader" is a rule of fiction writing. A person writing a grant proposal or a traffic accident report should not worry about the excitment level of the reader.

A lot of people are writers. Most have a lot of rules to follow. It's the fiction writers that have only one rule, a rule that some other writers must ignore.

Posts: 976 | Registered: May 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Doc, I stand corrected. Thank you.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

Heh, my (engineering) thesis advisor was surprised that I wrote my masters thesis in third person. It never even occurred to me that I might write it in first person. Apparently, I was the exception rather than the rule.
yanos
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for yanos   Email yanos         Edit/Delete Post 
That's strange. I wrote my engineering thesis in 2nd person present tense and it started with, "You have just woken up..."

Seriously though, I know of fiction books which bore me to tears and those are modern ones.

My favourite rule is, "Write the story you want to write, and then compromise."

Posts: 575 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Ferris
Member # 2819

- posted      Profile for Ferris   Email Ferris         Edit/Delete Post 
"There are no rules, but you break them at your peril."

Words to live by if you ask me

Posts: 18 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
electricgrandmother
Member # 2713

- posted      Profile for electricgrandmother   Email electricgrandmother         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been thinking about this a lot lately. I recently had someone tell me to avoid using parenthesis and semi-colons in fiction. (After one use of parenthesis and three or four uses of semi-colons in a story.) This wasn't a big deal -- I was okay with this person's opinion.

But then two days later I read a spec fic story that's been bought for the Best American Short Stories 2005 and there, lo and behold, was a set of parentheses...

I think that, past a certain point, most of the "rules" are personal preference.

Posts: 48 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If a POV character wakes up and something important happens immediately, then you need to start the scene where it started. That means starting with the POV character waking up. There are scenes that don't begin when the POV character first wakes up. And if you have a scene where nothing more important than the usual morning routine takes place, you should skip it unless that routine contains vital information. So most stories shouldn't begin with the character waking up in the morning. But you shouldn't forbid yourself from starting a scene at the beginning of that scene.

I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with starting a scene by having the character wake up, if something important happens at that point. But choosing to start your story with such a scene is a potential problem because starting a story that way has become a cliche.

Similarly, I can have a scene end with the character waking up and realizing he's been dreaming -- but if that's the final scene, it's a major cliche. Used elsewhere, it may be fine.

I would suggest that if your first scene begins with the character waking up, you might want to look at alternative ways to start the story.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
JmariC
Member # 2698

- posted      Profile for JmariC   Email JmariC         Edit/Delete Post 
Another rule to remember:
"Don't treat the readers as if they were stupid."

One really fast turn off for me is when a writer puts in a statement that has portent, and then repeats it soon after. In one instance the ominous sentence was printed, followed by stating that the words repeated themselves in the POV's head, then the ominous sentence was printed again. Exactly the same as it was just before the last sentence. That was just one example of many times the writer did this.
I've decided, when I can stomache it, I'm going to read the whole book, highlighting all the errors made, though the heavy handed clarification takes the cake so far.

Posts: 233 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

Then mail it back to the author?
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I usually break each rule I see (except don't spell "all right" as "alright"), but only rarely.

Don't start with the character waking up. I did this, not to be perverse, but because it was a transformer blowing that wakened him, and also started the problem of the story.

Don't write about VR. (Actually, that was the same story.)

Don't start with dialog. I do this a little more regularly.

Don't have inconsistent technology, as in, flying the helicar to the transport pad. I did this once, and it was the point of the story. I still want to start a story with "It was raining on Mongo that morning. That's right, the whole planet, with exactly the same weather."

Only one POV per short story. I break that a little more regularly, but still, it's the exception. The only time I got a comment on it I had *3* POV's, and then, it was, "You're breaking a rule here, but I see why."

But I don't break the actual rules of punctuation, spelling, and grammar. That would just be annoying. Sometimes someone will say, "You have bad grammar here," meaning, "My English teacher said sentence fragments are bad." Sentence fragments; semicolons; parentheses. (OK by me, although sometimes overused, as I did right here.)

[This message has been edited by wbriggs (edited September 14, 2005).]

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
thexmedic
Member # 2844

- posted      Profile for thexmedic   Email thexmedic         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe not a rule, but certainly I recommendation that I heard is always to write "[name] said" (for example, "Fred said") rather than said [name] (said "Fred").

The thing is, I prefer it the latter version. Has anyone else heard anything about this?

Posts: 205 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

I've read that as well, but I don't think it's a very firm rule. "said Fred" just sounds a little old-fashioned.

I think it's ok to use more than one POV in a short story. It's just not usually worth it.

hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
In response to Beth's 'Don't write about highschool students unless you are JK Rowling.' comment
This is something of a struggle if you write YA fiction -- isn't it?

Unless you want to set all your plots during the summer holidays or in some remote place or time where YAs don't go to school.

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

As to alright

Usage Note: Despite the appearance of the form alright in works of such well-known writers as Langston Hughes and James Joyce, the single word spelling has never been accepted as standard. This is peculiar, since similar fusions such as already and altogether have never raised any objections. The difference may lie in the fact that already and altogether became single words back in the Middle Ages, whereas alright has only been around for a little more than a century and was called out by language critics as a misspelling. Consequently, one who uses alright, especially in formal writing, runs the risk that readers may view it as an error or as the willful breaking of convention.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.

NOTE: As with altogether and already that gained acceptability over time, maybe SCIFI writers should use alright to add authenticity to the proposal that their story takes place in the future when all together, all ready AND all right are considered misspellings.

Edit: joke.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited September 14, 2005).]

hoptoad
Member # 2145

Don't do 'Vampire tribes', 'vampires versus werewolves', 'the good vampires need to stop the bad vampires waking up the superbad vampire from torpor', 'diabolary' 'vampires are descended from cain', 'the book of nod' or any other fanfiction masquerading as something else.
lehollis
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for lehollis   Email lehollis         Edit/Delete Post 
"Learn the rules well, and then forget them." -Matsuo Basho

Interestingly, I had to go back and review the quality of my most recent story, where the character wakes up at the beginning. I think it works; something awoke her, the action begins from there, the dreams and sleep quality are a factor, and so forth. Yet, now, I'm concerned an editor will stop reading at the word 'awoke'.

Posts: 696 | Registered: Sep 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
rcorporon
Member # 2879

- posted      Profile for rcorporon   Email rcorporon         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't bore the reader?

DIckens made a career of doing that.

Ronnie

Posts: 450 | Registered: Sep 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

Uh-huh.
I love how nuanced the discussions of literature are around here these days.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.