Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Flash Challenge #21

Author Topic: Flash Challenge #21
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to Kathleen for allowing us to post these notices here.

Flash Challenge #21 is open. You must be registered at Liberty Hall to participate. http://www.munsil.net/phpBB2/index.php

--------------------------------------------------------------
Trigger Request and Story Submittal and Formatting
--------------------------------------------------------------
1) Please go to http://munsil.net/mike/lhfc.html and click on Trigger Login to log in to see the trigger. When you do, the clock starts.

You will have 90 minutes total to return your story by submitting it.

2) Please go to http://munsil.net/mike/lhfc.html and click on Submittal Login to log in to the submittal page. When you submit, the clock stops.

3) Please include the title and a word count at the start of your submittal, in the following format: Story Title - ### words

You will not receive a separate response that we have your submittal.

If you have any problems, please email mikemunsil. I'll get to you when I can. If you cannot log in to submit, email me the story.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please use bbcode in the text of your submittal to have italics, bold or underlined text show up in your story when it is posted.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go to http://www.munsil.net/phpBB2/faq.php?mode=bbcode to learn how.

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
Forgot to stick in the word count and title. Sorry. Can I send it separately and, if so, who do I send it to?
Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
yep. send them to me.
Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks.
Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
pogozorro
Member # 2805

- posted      Profile for pogozorro   Email pogozorro         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't be like me and charge in without reading the rules. I nearly gagged when I logged in and saw the 90 minute rule.
Posts: 12 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

It's better than what I wanted! I wanted 60 minutes, but I let the members decide, and they chose 90. As always, I think they made a good choice. As I've watched how they do things over that last 20 weeks, I've seen people start to think more about what they're going to write, and write in less time. 90 minutes total gives them time to do a little bit of thinking, sometimes a little bit of research, and upon occasion a trifle of editing.

[This message has been edited by mikemunsil (edited August 22, 2005).]

mikemunsil
Member # 2109

By the way, we're at 21 uninterrupted weekly challenges, and the writers have generated 498 stories.

pogozorro
Member # 2805

- posted      Profile for pogozorro   Email pogozorro         Edit/Delete Post 
Ninety minutes isn't bad on the whole, so I am thankful you deferred to their group judgement.
Posts: 12 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
onepktjoe
Member # 2352

- posted      Profile for onepktjoe   Email onepktjoe         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, am I glad you didn't go with that 60 minute rule. I can't remember how many times my sub started with the note: "I know this is a few minutes late (this with 90 min.), but could you please..."

I'd never get out of the _D_airy _Q_ueen with only 60. As is I'm a coin flip to make it.

I'm so slow.

Posts: 230 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Minister
Member # 2213

- posted      Profile for Minister   Email Minister         Edit/Delete Post 
You and me both. I can only think of a couple of flashes (and I've done almost every one) that I finished comfortably with enough time at the end to go back over the story carefully. Usually, it takes me a (relatively) long time to get my idea and develop it into a plot. Then the story always, always, ends up taking more words and more time to tell than I expect. And then I'm looking at the clock with eight minutes left, sweating bullets, and trying to hammer out my ending before time runs out (which makes the story even longer, because I don't have the time to think of lean, efficient ways to say what I want to say). What a rush!
Posts: 491 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
If it was 60 minutes, you'd adapt. You certainly wouldn't be writing 2k stories! But I think the extra half hour really helps.
Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Varishta
Member # 2789

- posted      Profile for Varishta           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I don't know if I could write something of any worth in 90 minutes. Scenes, yes. Entire stories? Never. (But then, I've never tried something like this before.)

Is there a way to see some of the resulting stories online?

Posts: 140 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
TheoPhileo
Member # 1914

- posted      Profile for TheoPhileo   Email TheoPhileo         Edit/Delete Post 
Once you join the forum, all of the current week's stories are visible (monday through friday, I think, or whenever mike cleans off the old ones)
Posts: 292 | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

quote:
Is there a way to see some of the resulting stories online?

http://www.munsil.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1863

You are not required to join in the challenges to register at Liberty Hall.

You are invited. If you wish to read the stories, go register and make sure to use the same username you use here, otherwise I won't admit you.

mike

Minister
Member # 2213

- posted      Profile for Minister   Email Minister         Edit/Delete Post 
Beth, I just wish I could crank out 2000 coherent words of brand-new story in 90 minutes. I don't think I've ever been within a couple hundred words of that number. I'm still in awe of the person who produced the 2400 word story quite a few challenges back. Of course, I'm sure some critters wish that I couldn't crank out more than, say, 800 coherent words of brand-new story in 90 minutes. Actually, I think it takes me longer to produce the shorter material sometimes. It takes more work to narrow my concept down to the splinter width of a truly flash sized story (and story it must be! no slice of life for me), and then to tighten my writing up (I'll often trim upwards of 10% or more if I have time to go back through and edit/rewrite -- takes an 1100 word story to under 1000).
Posts: 491 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!

I DQ-ed! I can't believe I DQ-ed!!

I have an excuse, but it's too late to use it. This was my first flash since the changes in the trigger/submission format. It took me a few minutes to figure it out. If only, if only...

But I'll get you all next time!!!

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.