Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » National Novel Writing Month 2005, aka NaNoWriMo (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: National Novel Writing Month 2005, aka NaNoWriMo
punahougirl84
Member # 1731

- posted      Profile for punahougirl84   Email punahougirl84         Edit/Delete Post 
Just read the sections about what NaNoWriMo is, how it works, and the history - you'll get it! I had a good time doing it last year, and did finish/win - with more words than required, ahead of time. A major accomplishment for a procrastinator like myself.

Also, there is a lot of stuff set up there for support, encouragement... people post some cool stuff that you can use any time for writing. Plus you set up a nifty profile, and once the 1st of Nov rolls around, there will be a bar graph to chart your progress, and other things cool things. They (the organizers) put a lot of work into this.

MLs help set up write-ins (or outs, since it gets you out of your house, and into another venue) - give out goodies, etc. - basically, there are all kinds of reasons to do it if you want to - if the thought excites you! It spells the end of the one-day novelist (as in, One day I'll write a novel!).

Also, 8 NaNovels have been sold for publication, or are already published. It's a tiny amount, but it's still encouraging.

It sets a fire under your fingers with a deadline.

It's FUN! It's FREE! Or, you can do good - make a donation, and help support both NaNo AND help build libraries... this year in Laos.

Posts: 465 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ahavah
Member # 2599

- posted      Profile for Ahavah   Email Ahavah         Edit/Delete Post 
What are MLs?
Posts: 239 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
Municipal Liasons. They monitor forums, answer questions, and organize group writing activities. They are cheerleaders and administrators and energy centers. Some of them do a lot of recruiting and try to get people to sign up; I just like to chatter and have group writing sessions.

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that I like the idea of being a little decentralized.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punahougirl84
Member # 1731

- posted      Profile for punahougirl84   Email punahougirl84         Edit/Delete Post 
No one is required to attend anything - events are great if you need support, cheering-on, a chance to get out of the house... and the MLs get free stickers and buttons from HQ to pass on to writers! Not that they are necessary, but they are FUN (I keep repeating that word - I think for some people writing is not, nor can it be FUN...).

Most people just work on novels by themselves. Some have readers, some have writing groups, some have family. NaNo is the kick-in-your-pants some need to get writing with the goal of FINISHING sometime before they die ;-) Attending a write-in is very inspiring - hearing others typing away gets you going too. At least for a lot of people. It's like a built-in, instant support group - it provides some of what Hatrack does, but with the added knowledge that everyone is going through the same thing.

Motivation is a big factor - your own, plus what you hear, plus the deadline... But NaNo is not for everyone. There is a group in Vancouver that writes novels over a weekend, which is silly, because everyone knows it takes 30 days to write anything of value LOLOLOLOL!

Posts: 465 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rcorporon
Member # 2879

- posted      Profile for rcorporon   Email rcorporon         Edit/Delete Post 
What is the overall quality of the stuff written for this Nanothingy? I would think that if I pounded out a novel over 30 days it would be pretty butal.

Also, the acronym for this thing is the worst ever! I was reminded of the Calvin & Hobbes comic where Calvin says that the phrase "Big Bang" was a poor one, considering the magnitude of the event in question. I would think that a bunch of writers could come up with something better than NaNdEmoMO (or whatever) .

Ronnie

Posts: 450 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

Average quality is 6.87.

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
nope. 5.73 give or take a few hundreths.
Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AaronAndy
Member # 2763

- posted      Profile for AaronAndy   Email AaronAndy         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Average quality is 6.87.

6.87 on NaNoWriMo? Heck, I have a hard time keeping my regular stories up to 6.87. I'm not expecting anything over a 4.2 for this one...

Posts: 49 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

6.87 is metric, dude.
thedeathkillersareback
Member # 2894

- posted      Profile for thedeathkillersareback   Email thedeathkillersareback         Edit/Delete Post 
I just signed up for the thing a couple a little bit ago. Even though the rules are nothing more than smoke and mirrors, I still plan to stick to them. If anyone else is going this route here at Hatrack, hit me up. I'm under a different user name at the NaNoWriMo site. Looke me under "Raised by Swans".

Best of luck to you all.

Posts: 30 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 2240

- posted      Profile for quidscribis           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't remember if I mentioned this before or not, but I'll say it now, officially. I'm in for 150k + words. I don't work, I don't have kids, and my husband is uber supportive, so it's completely plausible that I can do it. So, I'm going for it.

I have one novel completely plotted and ready to go, and I'll be plotting the other one or two or three with hubby's help between now and, er, whenever I need them.

Posts: 83 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thedeathkillersareback
Member # 2894

- posted      Profile for thedeathkillersareback   Email thedeathkillersareback         Edit/Delete Post 
I just signed up for NaNoWriMo. Should be an interesting run. I figure I'd treat it like a marathon fundraiser and make forms for donators and such with all the proceeds going towards the NaNoWriMo library/literacy program.

If anyone would like me to email them the forms for them to do the same thing, let me know and I can email them to you. They're nothing special, just a spreadsheet for sign-ups and some information pulled off the NaNoWriMo site to get potential donators interested, but it will save you some leg work.

Best Regards to All and Good Luck.

Posts: 30 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
Unless inspiration hits me like a meteor, I won't be doing NaNo this year, but my offer from last year still stands. If you need a NaNo buddy, someone to help give you those virtual kicks in the butt, someone to bounce ideas off of, someone to read what you've got and help brainstorm, feel free to e-mail me. Just make to put Hatrack and/or NaNo in the subject header.

Next week I'll probably start a thread for NaNo Buddies. Anyone not actually doing NaNo who wants to offer their help can sign up there. Then for the NaNo~ites who need a buddy, you know where to find one.

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Minister
Member # 2213

- posted      Profile for Minister   Email Minister         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm joining the ranks of the Nano-ers, mostly because if I don't do it now, I probably never will. My username is the same over there as here, and pretty much anywhere else you're likely to see me online. Everyone getting geared up and ready to write?
Posts: 491 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ahavah
Member # 2599

No.

AAAAGGGGHHHHH!

Posts: 239 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

If by "ready" you mean "completely unprepared," then yes, I'm all set.
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
I second Beth on that. I know very little about my novel. This disturbs me, but obviously not enough to do anything about it.
Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Minister
Member # 2213

Excellent! Sounds like we're all in the same boat, sort of. I'm not even really sure of the genre of my story, but at least I think I know the names of some of the characters!
Posts: 491 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

None of my characters have names yet! In the few notes I have, they're referred to as "Our Intrepid Hero" and so on.

I'll give you a genre if you give me some names.

Survivor
Member # 213

Hah, all you wimps wanting to have stuff planned out ahead of time. Of course, I'm totally cheating by writing in an established universe
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Minister
Member # 2213

I'm not sure you really want people around here to start giving you names...
MCameron
Member # 2391

- posted      Profile for MCameron   Email MCameron         Edit/Delete Post 
Hah! I get to call Survivor a wimp! All I have is a title and a house. No characters, no genre, no plot, no pre-existing milieu, etc.

--Mel

Posts: 269 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 2240

- posted      Profile for quidscribis           Edit/Delete Post 
So. If I told y'all that I had character names & attributes, completed world building, and a 15 page plot outline, y'all would flog me?
Posts: 83 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

nah, not at all. We will just laugh smugly when it collapses around you on about Day 10 and you take off in a completely unexpected direction.

Good luck, y'all!

franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I signed up. Not sure what I am going to do, though. Guess I'll sleep on it.
Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaina
Member # 2387

- posted      Profile for Jaina   Email Jaina         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I still live! And I am doing NaNo, which is partly why I've been so scarce around here--I'm taking 18 credits on top of it, and I'm trying to get a head start on the homework so I can focus on noveling. And my internet has been trippy lately, (sometimes it won't access sites and sometimes it won't let me post on them) so who knows whether or not I'll be able to prove that I won even if I do? Ah, well, it's the adventure. I'm excited... nervous (there's only 15 minutes left here), but excited.
Posts: 437 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

"The Cheat" will do fine.
JmariC
Member # 2698

- posted      Profile for JmariC   Email JmariC         Edit/Delete Post 
How's this for cheating?

I'm using the chapter outline in the back of the Scene and Structure book as a general outline. I have no set characters or real plot or anything.
My goal is word count and quality is being ignored.
I am going to avoid dead ends and blocks through copious use of dues ex machina and absurdisms.
Also, I will be using the Word of the Day at Dictionary.com for inspiration and other drivel. :-)

Posts: 233 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ahavah
Member # 2599

I stayed up, was going to begin at 12 exactly.

Couldn't think of anything.

Spent the next 4 hours reading blogs and talking to friends.

Yeah, I'm ready. hee hee hee

I really need at least a working title. I guess I'll try to start sometime today, anyway.

Now off to print a banner for hanging above my monitor: "It's OK to suck."

autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
I began writing and found myself zooming through plot like there was no tomorrow. Less than a thousand words later I was at the half-way point.

So today, my goal will be to EXPAND and SLOW DOWN instead of writing the broad strokes.

Actually, writing long is pretty hard for me. I can write a 100 word story with little difficulty, but writing a 100,000 novel seems quite far out of my reach at this point. We'll see what happens.

Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JmariC
Member # 2698

Add more plot! :-)

Posts: 233 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nimnix
Member # 2937

- posted      Profile for nimnix           Edit/Delete Post 
I actually started my nano, and I really nead to write faster than this. 270 words? LAME! I think I have just enough to fill a fragment. *cracks whip*
Posts: 49 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MCameron
Member # 2391

I love Beth's current wordcount. 8. I cracked up when I saw that.

Having written around 500 words, it is becoming clear to me that the genre will be urban fantasy of some flavor. Probably garlic.

I've got two characters (Tony and Uncle Al), a missing mother, and a mysterious embroidered shower curtain. I have no idea where this is going to go *G*.

--Mel

Posts: 269 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

Only 42,992 words to go! Woo-hoo!

MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm totally cheating. I started a short story last year which I realized needed to be a novel. And behold--that's what I'm tackling this year.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MCameron
Member # 2391

quote:
Only 42,992 words to go! Woo-hoo!

So you added another 7,000 words? I'm so jealous.

--Mel

Beth
Member # 2192

ooops. typo. 49,992 words.

Math is hard.

MCameron
Member # 2391

lol

And here I was thinking that you did some special Beth-magic to get all those words so quickly. I can see it now:

bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon...(7000 more bacons here)...bacon bacon bacon.

--Mel

nimnix
Member # 2937

HEY! You stole my story!!!

*crumples up her treatise on bacon and throws it in the fire... then realizes she lives in southern california and the fireplace has nothing in it but air.*

Guess I'll go with my second-choice story.

Posts: 49 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JmariC
Member # 2698

1500 down for me on day 1.

Brain dead now. Must find coma to crawl into. There is so much exposition and pointless stuff in this first part. I've given info and personality info for each horse in the barn and a bit about the area.

Word for the day today was Alpenglow.

Oh yeah, the other trick I'm doing: The first line is "It was a dark and stormy night." Which I will use to start any area that I find myself staring at screen for 5 mins with no fluff coming.

Coming soon: Cow dropping from sky (I know it will happen eventually)

Beth
Member # 2192

hey, nimnix, no bacon in my novel yet - so run with it. extra crispy, please.

still at 8 words. Really should start typing soon. But oh, look, I think I'll go watch TV first. That's important.

MCameron
Member # 2391

I acquired two more characters. Tony was becoming boring so I left him for awhile. I don't know how the two new ones will fit into the overall story yet, but at least they're there.

To generate my two new characters I chose a Ben Folds Five song to listen to ("The Last Polka") which is about a dying relationship, and I just wrote that scene. Ben Folds can be great at describing interesting relationships, which is why I chose him.

I didn't quite make the quota for the day, but I came pretty close: 1188 words.

--Mel

Minister
Member # 2213

1985 words of very nearly total garbage. That scene looked so much better when it existed solely in my imagination. I really should figure out what genre I'm in.
Beth
Member # 2192

2003 words. It took a fellow nanoer threatening me with dire consequences, but it worked.

Oh, the surprises. I had no idea that my MC spent most of his time stoned until tonight. Now I am kind of regretting all the time I spent not hanging out with the stoners behind the gym; I am just making it up. If any of you have extensive experience with being stoned and wouldn't mind talking about it to me, please send me e-mail. I won't rat you out to anyone, promise.

franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! My very own the Cheat!

I'm struggling to get off the ground. But then, I did have Ladies Auxiliary Enrichment meeting tonight. It was a children's Christmas book review. Kind of dementor experience for me, really.

I used to date a stoner, it wasn't really obvious. Perhaps because I never knew him before he was a stoner. He was just really pleasant, mellow, and spineless, except for when it came to giving up pot. He's a Presbyterian minister now.

[This message has been edited by franc li (edited November 02, 2005).]

Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nimnix
Member # 2937

I think I'll throw in a brushfire and make some bacon...

2-thousand-something words and counting. So far I have 3 nomadic tribes, 3 kingdoms, 2 prophecies with a third on the way, and words like Heuwameix, which is a specific type of prophecy... I have 5 types, and I may only use 2 or 3. Words for types of earthquakes, rain... ooh, need words for fires.

*starts writing again*

Sadly, it's all exposition right now, nothing has HAPPENED.

Survivor
Member # 213

Wow. I think that I'll totally slack off and coast for a while...
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
2010 words yesterday, a death and a kidnapping. Woo-hoo!
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
To JmariC,

A poem my mother taught me when I was very young:

Birdie, birdie, in the sky,
Dropping whitewash in my eye.
Gee, I'm glad that cows can't fly!

-----------------

Congrats to everyone for getting off to a good start yesterday (at least I hope you all have...must go check NaNo boards...).

Only 1667 words per day, that's nothing, right?!

Good luck, and I'll be checking on you...

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.