Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » National Novel Writing Month 2005, aka NaNoWriMo (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: National Novel Writing Month 2005, aka NaNoWriMo
Minister
Member # 2213

- posted      Profile for Minister   Email Minister         Edit/Delete Post 
lol. Thanks for keeping an eye on us, Robyn Hood. Way to go, everybody!
Posts: 491 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JmariC
Member # 2698

- posted      Profile for JmariC   Email JmariC         Edit/Delete Post 
Robyn Hood: Hehe, I'll remember that one!

As of yesterday's work I have 1 MC and two main animals, although the story so far is filled up with tons of going on and on about each animal in the stable and their history and relationship to the MC. We'll see what today brings!

Posts: 233 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MCameron
Member # 2391

- posted      Profile for MCameron   Email MCameron         Edit/Delete Post 
I've figured out the significance of the mysterious embroidered shower curtain. There is a type of magic based on needlework going on in my story. I also have my antagonist (a sweet old granny) knitting in a trance with special magical knitting needles and yarn. She'll read the finished piece to discover important clues about one of the good guys.

I still haven't quite figured out where the pesto fits in, but I'm sure all will be made clear in time.

Nearly 3500 words so far, which is more than I've ever written on a single story before. Yay!

--Mel

Posts: 269 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Minister
Member # 2213

Way to go, Mel! Sounds much more original than the drivel that I'm pumping out. But at least I'm pumping it out. That drivel pump has been busy enough to put out 5673 words so far.
Posts: 491 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MCameron
Member # 2391

Thanks, Dan. I would like to point out that mine is drivel too, though. The prose is atrocious, but I do like the story that's beginning to emerge.

I mean, my antagonist is a knitting-obsessed granny. How much better can it get?

--Mel

Posts: 269 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
Mel,
Those little snippets reminded me of this year's Universal Orlando's Halloween Horror Nights. On the website, the tone is set by this little old granny reading a bedtime story. Turns out she's a homicidal maniac, too!

If I can find the right page, I'll post the link -- just incase you need some more inspiration -- in a disturbing way...

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so far behind, I don't know... but then, I knew a girl last year who went into thanksgiving weekend with 6000 words and finished.

I have decided that since this year's work qualifies in my mind as "family history" I won't feel like it is working on the Sabbath to write on Sundays.

I'm not exactly sure why I picked this week to start reading Harry Potter IV.

Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
Like I said in my e-mail last night, you could not write a word until Saturday and still only have to write 2000 words per day to make it.

Since you are writing a family history, you probably don't have to stick to a linear writing format. If you treat each chapter as a vingnette about a particular person/year/time...you could probably write a 2000 word chapter each day and worry about the specific order on Dec. 1.

If you start on Saturday, skip each of the four Sundays and still only have to write 2381 words to make it. Round up to 2500 words per day and you will finish ahead of the curve.

Try not to think of it as having to get caught up to 6668 words by the end of today, that's just too overwhelming.

Also, don't forget, it doesn't have to be great, steller, fantastic, polished, etc., etc. This is flash in the pan, down and dirty, shoot first and ask questions later type writing. It doesn't have to sound great right now, you just have to get it down on paper, so to speak.

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
The short story vignette idea is a good one. That is largely how I set up my outline last year.
Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JmariC
Member # 2698

so, anyone doing the NaDruWriNi?

[This message has been edited by JmariC (edited November 05, 2005).]

Posts: 233 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 2240

- posted      Profile for quidscribis           Edit/Delete Post 
If we knew what that was, we could give you a decent answer.
Posts: 83 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MCameron
Member # 2391

National Druid Wringing Night?

--Mel

Minister
Member # 2213

Oh, that! Of course -- I never miss a year.
JmariC
Member # 2698

National drunken writing night.
It's tonight, and I'm several drinks in now.

Google knows. }:->

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
This contest must be going mainstream---my local paper had a big write-up on it on the front page of the "Lifestyles" section.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monolith
Member # 2034

- posted      Profile for Monolith   Email Monolith         Edit/Delete Post 
I just have a quick question.

When is the next NaNoWriMo??

I think I could join that one, if it's like January or so.

I'd definitely ask for a NaNo Buddy for sure. I'm a huge procrastinator.

Just asking once again.

-Monolith-

Posts: 340 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
It is every November.
Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
Well after only getting about 2k all week, and being so terribly far behind, today I got my rear in gear and typed 4291 words in 100 minutes. Whew.

Absolute drivel, I know, but at least it is helping me get caught up. If I do that again, I'll be on target. Hmm. I don't know if I have it in me. We'll see.

Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
wow, that's really fast. I can reliably do 2k in an hour but that's really fast! I am impressed.

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Minister
Member # 2213

Way to go, Autumn!

I've gone through this thread and added you guys to my writing buddies list, so I can keep tabs on you over there (besides, it gives me a target for my innate competitiveness). That is, I think I added everyone whose names are given or the same as what they are here. Happy writing!

JmariC
Member # 2698

I am hoping to get others added to my buddy list.

So, is anyone using the same name on NaNo as here? I know mine's different at Nano, it's Quasipsyco.

Last night, I went into the chat room and learned about this neat thing called a word war. They set a start time and a time limit and you write as many words on you novel as you can before it's over.

I did one last night (time started was 1:10 am and ended at 1:20am) and netted 481 words. I impressed myself with that one.

Minister
Member # 2213

Cool. Hadn't seen those before. Well, I've now added you, now that I know your name over there (hope no one minds). Mine is the same as here. Looks like a lot of the crowd have kept the same names.
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
I love word challenges. That's part of how I did so well today. I went to a write-in and we all sat around drinking coffee (in my case chai lattes because I can't stand coffee) and did challenges. I got over 500 words in ten minutes, several times.

Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MCameron
Member # 2391

My username is theCrowsWife at NaNo, same as on the other side of Hatrack.

My brain has been oatmeal the last couple of days. I really need to do some of those writing challenges to get my wordcount up.

--Mel

nimnix
Member # 2937

- posted      Profile for nimnix           Edit/Delete Post 
same there as here
Posts: 49 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 2240

- posted      Profile for quidscribis           Edit/Delete Post 
I finally started writing today. Days 1-6 were a wash - long story involving a lot of sewing, end of Ramadan, Eid ul-Fitr, a lot of my hubby's relatives, a trip out of town, and an article on deadline.

So. Now I'm sitting at 4175 words written today, which is fine since these are the first words I've written in, oh, a couple of months, but I was really hoping for more.

Tomorrow I'm going for a write-'til-ma-brain-bleeds day. Wish me luck!

Posts: 83 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Minister
Member # 2213

I'm so proud of myself! Okay, maybe that's an overstatement. But at least I'm moderately pleased. I have genre! I'm writing science fiction!

I reached a point at which one of my main characters really had to be told what was going on. Since he was in the company of someone who would have to know, I couldn't come up with any more excuses not to tell him. So I almost quit, because I didn't know what was going on myself. I was thinking about canning this one and working on something else. But instead, I just sat and worked it through, almost Liberty Hall flash style. And now, both he and I know what genre we're in! It's not good science fiction (shucks, it's not good fiction of any sort) -- but at least we now know what it is. I'm so happy! Oh, wordcount of 11851 as of last night -- just on track to finish on time.

MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
Woo-hoo! Yay Minister!
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.