Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Magic WITHOUT a price (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Magic WITHOUT a price
rcorporon
Member # 2879

- posted      Profile for rcorporon   Email rcorporon         Edit/Delete Post 
Just had a thought, and wanted to get some imput. I know that OSC (as well as others) stand by the theory that magic should come with a price, and the stronger the magic, the stronger the price, but I thought of an example where this didn't apply at all, and worked very well,

I was thinking about Star Trek, and remembered the character "Q." For all purposes, his race was omnipotent. They had "magic" at an unlimited scale (he could change the gravitational constant of the universe!) and had to pay NO price at all for his powers.

However, he didn't wreck any stories he was featured in, rather, he made them all the more enjoyable.

So, if done properly, magic doesn't always have to have a price, right?

Ronnie

Posts: 450 | Registered: Sep 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Shendülféa
Member # 2408

- posted      Profile for Shendülféa   Email Shendülféa         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I never thought that magic needed to have a price in the first place, but that's just me. I think, though, that there should be perhaps consequences for abusing magic. A race could use magic indefinitely, without a price as long as they don't take advantage of it. When they do take advantage of it, there needs to be some sort of consequence for it. I suppose in a way that is magic with a price, but at the same time it's not having to pay a specific price in order to use the magic. If that makes any sense.
Posts: 202 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
The reason OSC gave that magic must have a price is that if it doesn't, it will be common, and anything can happen, and thus nothing is remarkable.

But I'm sure he would say this is true except when it isn't. I'll say: there are other ways to limit it. Q's was limited in that only the Q could do it; and to some degree they limited themselves.

I don't like the "magic has a price" thing so much. I want it to be that the people who do magic can do it because of who they are. It leads to a different type of story, more fairy-tale-like and less SF-like. It's still limited. OSC did this to some degree with Harmony.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Star Trek never tried to claim that Q did not pay a price for magic. Rather, Q was to the crew of the enterprise what that advanced space faring race was to some of the pre-space faring races they came across: completely beyond understanding. Sufficiently advanced technology and all that...Star Trek is scifi, not fantasy, don't forget.

Also, there are a lot of reasons to have a price for magic, and limiting the number of people who can do it is not a very good reason. Random laws of magic can dictate who can and can't do magic...you have to be born with it etc. The fact is that magic without limit is UNINTERESTING. I hate reading books where the only limitation to magic is the lack of creativity of the writer as revealed through the main characters.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
rcorporon
Member # 2879

The initial reason that I was thinking about this is that in my story, I want magic to be only used by a single race of people (they look like insects and live isolated in a desert) but I always like magic to be super powerful. I like my mages tossing fire and lightning, destroying cities, etc... and I was initially dismayed by my galling "lack of a price."

I guess the only "limit" I will be placing on them is that they are totally uninterested in the goings on of the rest of the world. They are a race of intellectuals and academics, and enjoy living isolated in their desert.

I was just concerned, as I remembered the "magic without price" tidbit, and wanted to see what others thought.

Thanks again,
Ronnie

Rahl22
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 
Q, throughout the entire series, wanted the thrill of being human. He wanted what it was like to be us, and he could never have it. That was the price of his power.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Apr 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Miriel
Member # 2719

- posted      Profile for Miriel   Email Miriel         Edit/Delete Post 
*reveals self as avid Next Gen fan*

Q's powers weren't unlimited. He came from a group of people, just like himself. Because there was no great "price" for this great "magic," it was commonplace among his people. But, this power wasn't absolute. The continuum had certain rules of not interfering too much. If you'll remember, Q did get all of his powers stripped away in one very commical episode because the continuum was mad at him.

This whole Q arrangement worked in Star Trek, because everyone wasn't so powerful. If you were to write a story about the continuum...great power would be very commonplace, and easily obtained. If you like that...then go with it. Q was also important to the series as a whole, as he was a demi-god-like figure who was able to put humanity on trial (as you remember from the first and last episodes). In a fantasy setting, Q would not be a main character: he'd be a divine figure messing with the lives of mortals. If you like writting about demi-god-like societies...feel free.

Posts: 189 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
benskia
Member # 2422

- posted      Profile for benskia   Email benskia         Edit/Delete Post 
I think if Q had been in LOTS of episodes, it wouldn't have worked.

Magic needs to have a price in my opinion, otherwise the magicians could just fix any problem with a wave of their wand. Their needs to be a cost to introduce conflict into what they're doing.

In Star Trek, there's an example of this when the crew of the enterprise first meet the Borg and are just about to be overtaken by them & meet certain death. However, Q snaps his fingers and puts everything right again. The end of the story isn't so much about the way in which Q saves them -- I dont think that the "magic" is the story. The story is that the Enterprise are given the first glimpse of an up comming threat and given a reminder that they're not so tough after all.

IMO.

Posts: 329 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

rcorporon, your description of the race of uninterested observers of of everyone else made me think of one thing -- gods. Whether they actually created the universe or not, the idea that they can do anything and don't for mysterious reasons all their own is, IMHO, going to cripple your story. When they do finally act, anything they do, especially at a climactic moment, is going to be a deux ex machina.
thexmedic
Member # 2844

- posted      Profile for thexmedic   Email thexmedic         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure about a cost but I think magic has to have a source. Whether that source is external (e.g. religion, artifacts, potions, etc) or internal (the only good example I can think of here is Gandalf in LOTR) then I like to feel that it's caused by something. And that something should tie into the rest of the book.

As for limits on magic, then that depends on the type of book you're writing. A lot of people have seemed to assume magic can do anything, but that doesn't necessarily have to be true. It can be if you want characters with god-like powers but maybe magic is limited to the four basic elements, or even more restricted.

Posts: 205 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I want magic to be only used by a single race of people (they look like insects and live isolated in a desert)

Is this the ONLY race capable of doing magic?
Do they enjoy their isolation?
Does doing magic amplify their insectoid appearance?
How much do they feature in your story?
Do you enter their POV, or is everything from an outside POV? If you don't enter the insects' POV, the POV character's perception may be that there is no price or that the magic is all powerful, even if those perceptions are incorrect.

Rhal22 made a good point about Q. Also, consider the episodes involving Q in Voyager. The continuum devolved into a crippling civil war, not to mention the Q who committed suicide because of boredom.

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
So the conclusion seems to be, Q did pay a price for his seemingly unlimited powers, and it touches on why such a price should be there: boredom.

When everything can be achieved without effort, everything starts to lack meaning. Perhaps that was was the Q searched for, meaning.

When characters overcome odds, try and fail and try to accomplish there goals, then it becomes an interesting read.

Same in real life. It's fun to set out to do something, be it as big as getting something published, or be it as small as learning to make pasta from stratch. You can look back on an accomplish goal and feel a measure of healthy pride.

Unfortuntely, in real life this is taken to an extreme, and people's needs are withheld dispite a potential abudance. But then any idea, taken to an extreme isn't the course of wisdom...

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
maria102182
Member # 2829

- posted      Profile for maria102182   Email maria102182         Edit/Delete Post 
In voyager, another Q appeared, and they touched on this very thing, that the Q socity stagnated after they all got their powers and became imortal. This one Q's wish was to become human and die, because he had already done everything else. Not that I'm saying suicide is a good thing, but it kind of ties back into the whole magic without a price thing. The price was that eventually there was nothing new, nothing that hadn't already been done, and he wanted to see what came after.
Posts: 102 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
His reasons were a bit more complicated than that, but....

I'm not particularly fond of magic having a set price. But you do have to deal with the whole thing once you put it into your story. How do your characters deal with a world in which there is unlimited magic? What does that element do to the integrity of your story? Do you even have a story, or are you just solving everything by "magic"?

The "magic" used by the Q race is a bad example, the "price" they paid for their magic is the exact same price that the crew of the Enterprise pays for their "magic".

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
Some of the above posts have hinted at this, but I'll say this anyway just to clarify the point:

The thing that keeps magic from being interesting is not its price, but its limitations. Price is one possible limitation; natural ability is another. Of course, it will have a price--doesn't everything? I mean, people don't have to exactly pay a price for being more intelligent, but that doesn't mean there isn't "a price," if you want to define it that way. I don't, because I think of a price as being voluntary: How much am I willing to pay for this? Certainly that's an option with magic, but it isn't the only one that will keep magic from simply overrunning all problems.

Harry Potter's magic system is full of holes, but the lack of limits is not one of them (although, since we don't often know what the limits are, Rowling is somewhat free to make up the limits as they suit her). Even if the limits are not entirely consistent, they're there. The biggest limit is: you're born with or you're not. That's not a "price," in my book. There are other limits, milder ones, that do involve a price, such as having to study to learn your spells. Of course, that's not a price for doing magic. Some spells seem to take more effort than others, so there's a price there. But really, all these prices are negligible. The limits are mostly applied by native ability and accumulated knowledge--just as in the real world, for that matter.

Limits? Yes, essential. Price? Just one option.

Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
The price paid for Q's "magic" was, as a viewer, I hated the episodes with him in it. It was the one really stupid plot point in The Next Generation. I confess to being a big Star Trek fan (at least as far as DS9. They lost me at Voyager, and Enterprise.) But to toss a fantasy omnipotent being with a penchant for temper tantrams into a sci-fi story totally ruined things for me.

I may heartily dislike Q, but the actor John DeLancie is a really nice guy. I got to chat with him while we were standing in line for the bathroom at the OMSI (Oregon Museum of Science and Industry) grand opening of their Star Trek exhibit.

But Q's character and power was unbelievable. And THAT is a price I don't care to pay in my own writing. I want the magic to be something the reader can believe.

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

I didn't find Q's powers any more unbelievable than the powers of the Enterprise crew. As a matter of fact, I usually found them less unbelievable because they never tried any lame mumbo-jumbo explanations of how he did what he did. The purpose of Q is to provide a comparison point, showing how the essential humanity of humans (or Q) persist no matter how evolved their technology and culture may become.

The crew of the Enterprise were always talking about how humanity had "outgrown" things like greed and bigotry and all that. Q is flinging an unsubtle challenge to all that nonsense by showing that, no matter what powers a people may eventually master, it doesn't bring them any closer to mastering themselves.

In other words, he existed to challenge the perception of the crew (shared by most fans) that the Federation was intrinsically "better" by virtue of its social evolution. So it isn't unnatural that fans of the show should feel uncomfortable with him.

Minister
Member # 2213

- posted      Profile for Minister   Email Minister         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Rick; the thing that makes the magic system of any given world interesting is its limitations, not necessarily its cost. Cost is one way of setting limits, and many costs provide for terrific plot potential. But I don't think cost is necessarily essential. Limits are.
Posts: 491 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
keldon02
Member # 2398

- posted      Profile for keldon02   Email keldon02         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting about Q. I always thought he was a way of introducing the idea of a rather distant and bumbling more-or less benevolent deity to the show. He seemed to evolve as the show continued and the writers struggled with making him seem less of a deux ex machina (spelling?).

Q speaks to the point of how to make magic not seem costly. The cost of magic should neccessarily go down as it decreases in proportion to the magnitude/power/size of the magician/deity who does it. So a very costly bit of magic for a mortal might cost less for a thousand year old mage but cost nothing for a benevolent deity.

Perhaps the same principle as money? A dollar soft drink costs a lot to a child, less to a working man and nothing to a millionare relative to their wealth.

Posts: 245 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Smaug
Member # 2807

- posted      Profile for Smaug   Email Smaug         Edit/Delete Post 
Another interesting thing about Q. I never saw him challenged by someone who could actually defeat him--Captain Kirk for instance. Kirk for some reason, always found a way to out smart, out fight, out drink, or out womanize any other person, place, thing or being in the universe. I think that was some kind of magic in and of itself.
Posts: 440 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
dee_boncci
Member # 2733

- posted      Profile for dee_boncci   Email dee_boncci         Edit/Delete Post 
From my perspective, the problem with unlimited magic is that it is very close to godhood (Q, like some gods of human mythology, manipulated humans for vicarious entertainment). I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with the concept, but I prefer to read stories without this element in general.
Posts: 612 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Q was regularly getting into trouble too big for his britches, just not when he was playing with Picard.
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
thexmedic mentioned this but I will too.

What is the source of power?
Even if that is not important to you it will be to your character. Where does he/she think this power comes from? What limits therefore, do they imagine for themselves?

PS: Elan, I've never had to queue to talk to Q or to pee.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited September 25, 2005).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
rcorporon
Member # 2879

Is this the ONLY race capable of doing magic?
Do they enjoy their isolation?

Yes, they do.

Does doing magic amplify their insectoid appearance?

I'm not sure I understand the question. They look like large walking / talking insects, and the other groups of people don't really know much about them.

How much do they feature in your story?

They don't feature very much, until WAAAAAAAAAAAAY later.

Do you enter their POV, or is everything from an outside POV? If you don't enter the insects' POV, the POV character's perception may be that there is no price or that the magic is all powerful, even if those perceptions are incorrect.

I don't think I'd ever enter their POV, and I like the idea of having them seem unstoppable to the other characters.

Ronnie

Survivor
Member # 213

Okay, what is the price for your POV characters to use magic, then?

If your POV characters can't use the magic of the inscectoids because they simply can't communicate or negotiate in any meaningful fashion, then any abilities possessed by that race doesn't count as magic for your purposes, the bugs are just a force of nature.

rcorporon
Member # 2879

My POV char's cannot use magic. I have the world split up into various groups of humans, and only some have limited use of magic (eg: there are a group who live mainly as sailors, and they can use magic to control water currents to a minor extent, etc) but the human magic is VERY minor. The other races (a lizard like race called Krall for example have no magic to speak of) also have either no magic, or very limited magic.

I want the insect race (called the Magi Races) have all the magic. I like the idea of super powerful magic, and I want it in the story. I just don't want them to be unbalanced or simply silly powerful. I think that the fact that they are a very frail and weak race, the fact that they don't really have any outside interest in the goings on in the world, and the fact that there are very few of them alive balances them, but I'm not 100% sure if this is enough.

Thank again for all the help!
Ronnie

Survivor
Member # 213

So, just to clear up this point, the Mags never explain why they do or don't use magic, and the POV characters have no knowledge of why or when the Mags are going to use it, right?

Then it doesn't function as "magic" in your story. You should probably make up some reasons that the Mags do and don't do the things they do, but they are just like the weather or earthquakes to your characters.

The Mags themselves would probably have lost much of the normal biological drives somewhere along the way in their development of magic use. They can keep themselves alive and safe pretty easily, and probably live forever or something like that, so reproduction isn't a big thing for them. All the more adventurous ones have probably died off or managed to leave the world some other way a long time ago. You can go on making up reasons that they aren't interested in conquering the world or even gaining any favor with the other races...but for a species that powerful it might seem like taking a lot of interest in the internal politics of an ant-hive. You might exterminate an entire hive if it was bothersome to you, but picking out a few ants and favoring them over the other ants...not only would it be unlikely to occur to you, but how would you do it? Even though your abilities far outstrip anything an ant could imagine, you can't easily tell one ant from another.

Or perhaps a book like Watership Down would be a better example, though of course it fails to match your idea in a lot of respects.

keldon02
Member # 2398

I always thought of Q as a reprise of the Trelane character in "The Squire of Gothos". It was almost as it the writers were playing with what would happen if Trelane had an older brother who had achieved an almost adult empathy but still had a lot of childishness.

If that were the case his magic would have a serious price. Perform enough of it and he is ejected from childhood.

[This message has been edited by keldon02 (edited September 27, 2005).]

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to wonder why, if Q was so omnipotent, why he was always wanting to hang around with the bald guy they called the Captain?

Q worked well as a sidebar issue (increasing the tension in the "Next Generation" pilot, for example), showing up stripped of his powers, or assisting someone developing these omnipotent powers. (I don't remember the particular episode names.) Other episodes, where his omnipotence was more centrally featured, didn't really work for me.

(One of the "Star Trek" novels featuring Q managed to make Trelane his son, I think---and also worked in the developing omnipotent powers of the character played by the other guy from "2001: A Space Odyssey" in "Where No Man Has Gone Before.")

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

Every time I see this thread I keep thinking of fantasy novels with Gods in them. Across the board and without exception, I can't stand them. As soon as a deity pops its head into the story and with its omnipotent, unrestrained, and totally free magic the entire story falls apart.

It's not that they usually decide to keep their hands off the world...I believe in a God in the real world that chooses that hands off path. No, it's more a question of them breaking that hands off approach to show themselves in this one case, or help out in this one case...what's so special about it? Why now? And with the possibility that the whole thingcan just be solved with the snap of some god's fingers, if he so chooses, the story looses all interest for me. Will the hero succeed? Who cares? My guess is yes, but if not the god may just step in.

Deus ex machina originated in Greek plays in which one of the gods came in and fixed everything. I like to think we've become more sophisticated in our storytelling, but I know that we haven't. Gods (or similiar omniopotent beings) are still very much a part of fantasy and even science fiction. And even when magic is limited in scale or scope, I keep seeing the only limitations on the use of that magic being the character's lack of imagination or simply their sheer stupidity. "Oh no, he's under attack! But he has the power to freeze time so why doesn't he...?"

This turned into quite a rant.

AndrewR
Member # 1563

- posted      Profile for AndrewR   Email AndrewR         Edit/Delete Post 
The reason Q did not need a price for his powers was simply because he was the antagonist.

The stories typically were not about Q, or what Q could or could not do.* They were about the characters on Enterprise and what they could and could not do. If they had unlimited power at no cost, the stories would have been terribly uninteresting. But because the crew were severely limited in their powers, it didn't matter if Q had to pay a price for his powers. The crew didn't care; they had to deal with him in any case.

The stories were not about magic, but about non-magical creatures dealing with magic. So they did not have to go into detail about the rules of magic for those stories.

*The one exception I recall was were Q was thrown out of the Continuum. But notice that the story was about Q adjusting to having no powers.

Posts: 180 | Registered: Jan 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Before this turns into a lengthy diatribe on the merits and faults of one particular character on a TV show, let me try and redirect it into more general terms.

An Omnipotent Character: What Works For Me

After a little thought, seems to me that it breaks down into a few basic situations.

(1) That the omnipotent character is the antagonist, and the protagonist and center of the story, therefore, is someone else.

(2) That he's just starting to develop his omnipotence.

(3) That he's somehow lost his omnipotence.

(4) That he's a minor character in relation to the other plots and characters.

There must be other situations where an omnipotent character can be put to proper and interesting use. I'm a little tapped out on ideas: by all means, suggest some of your own.

keldon02
Member # 2398

quote:
There must be other situations where an omnipotent character can be put to proper and interesting use.
One alternative situation is where the omniponent character has an altruistic motive to limit himself.

quote:
But he has the power to freeze time so why doesn't he...?
Richard Bach discusses this aspect of deity-hood in "Illusions". A Messiah chooses to be incarnated in the American midwest in order to teach several mortals, including Bach himself, the true nature of the universe. He can perform miracles without cost but he chooses to do so when it creates a better teaching atmosphere for his students; otherwise he allows nature to take its course, in large part for its recreational value.

yanos
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for yanos   Email yanos         Edit/Delete Post 
I always thought in the Greek plays the Gods came in and screwed everything up. Part of the interest in Gods then was that there were Gods, many of them, all with their own agendas. In order to make things reasonable the Gods themselves tended to limit how much they interfered.

In most fantasy worlds that feature Gods, the Gods have limited powers. Obviously there powers are greater than humans, but that is all.

Every omnipotent character seems to have a weakness, which does seem strange. After all if they are omnipotent all they have to do is wave their hands and make themselves immune to whatever magic weapon the hero is wielding. Truly omnipotence must be boring. Even Q had his limits.

And that is the thing. Magic has its limits. Even magic has to follow some rules, my personal one being about energy. Given that magic uses energy, then there is only a limited amount that can be used. Maybe someone like Q has access to much more powerful forms of energy, but that does not mean there are no limits.

Posts: 575 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Everything has a cost. Like for example recently at school I saw a sign on a table with my two favorite words on them "Free Books" First thing I did was grab everything that looked remotely interesting. Which amounted to about fifty pounds of diffrently shaped and mostly slippery books. The books weren't free. The ones that I did get away with cost me the energy to hold them, a pulled muscle and an altogether uncomfortable bus ride home. (Not to mention the space on the book shelf.) So if you do have creatures who use magic without a cost, fine but I will consider them gods. (Of course I like stories that involve gods but I favor the norse style over the greek.)
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

keldon02: I think you misunderstood my comment about having and not using powers...understandably. I was talking about Gods and then I moved on to another topic...stupidly used powers. Even when you "limit" magic by having one guy, say the hero, only have one power, say freezing time, it can get really stupid when he just doesn't use it to full effect. I don't know how many novels I've read in which the predominent factor limiting magic was, in fact, the hero's own limited mind or imagination. Much better, I think, to have some artificial rule limiting him, such as you can only use this power once a day or it makes you get a year older everytime you use it. Whatever. Just something other than ... well, usually I can't figure out why they don't use the magic.

A couple of notes on omnipotence:

1. You can restrict magic in a couple of ways, by limiting the number of magical feats a person can and/do or by limiting the number of people who can do it.

2. This is not the same as giving a price for magic. Regardless of who can cast a spell or how many, the price is what happens to that person because they used magic. Did they get older? Dumber? Eviler? (yeah, yeah..) The price can even be directly related to the spell they cast. For example, if someone can move time backwards to change things, they may never be able to do it right for one reason or another. The price may, in fact, be the power itself.

Whatever rules or limitations you put on magic, the price is of dire importance. The price is the story. What you have without a price is something more like wish fulfillment, but frankly, I'd rather dream it than read it.

keldon02
Member # 2398

Actually I was thinking more about Bach's character's empathy being so well developed that he self-limited to provide others the fullest experiance of their own limited lives. Bach conjectured a messiah who limited himself to prevent himself from harming others.

I've seen this in real life where a more powerful person will walk away from a fight or settle a lawsuit or drop a criminal charge because they see that they could easily win but to win would harm someone. This is also one of the ways that real life soldiers lose battles. They can see the enemy in their sights but they pass up the chance to kill out of empathic response and desire to not do harm.

I think that empathy is the primary difference between Trelane and Q. Q is obviously a more mature being and it is this response which might be the one which prevents him from just destroying the Borg (or for that matter, Picard) out of hand. Also it might be empathy which makes him self-limit like a parent who plays chess with his eight year old, starting without his queen to make things more equal.

[This message has been edited by keldon02 (edited September 29, 2005).]

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Examining the threads reveals at least two more items to my list.

(5) He's concealing his omnipotence for a reason.

(6) He has a flaw beyond his omnipotence.

[edited 'cause I put "4" and "5" instead of "5" and "6."]

[This message has been edited by Robert Nowall (edited September 30, 2005).]

Survivor
Member # 213

And people wonder how a perfectly good, omnipotent God could go about killing so many people all the time
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Just a couple questions,

What kind of toilet gives receipts?

And why are they so interesting?

Oh and If you are truly so bored why are you still reading and posting? Time is too precious to spend in pursuit of pointlessness.

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

It looks like our resident omnipotent character has benevolently killed rcorp's evil doppleganger.

So I guess that is a use for benevolent super beings...though does anyone else think that it would have been more interesting, from a sheerly story oriented point of view, if we all had to deal with the problem in our own way?

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rcorporon
Member # 2879

LOL... thanks guys! This thread has taught me 2 things:

1) I need to rethink my bugs
2) Threads are like freight trains... once they get up to speed, they can be derailed quite easily .

Ronnie

Posts: 450 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
ah, that's how to tell the good rcorporon from his evil twin. The good one uses smilies and signs everything "ronnie."
Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
The price of Q's magic is that he is an insensitive jerk. Even if magic doesn't have a price, it has an effect on the person posessing it.

P.S. Someone sort of beat me to the punch on this, except that I did like the episodes with Q in them.

[This message has been edited by franc li (edited October 02, 2005).]

Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Actually, I kinda liked the Q character. His benefits to the show outweighed his flaws as an omnipotent character. After his first couple of appearances (in the first season), I thought he enlivened a show where light humor was seriously absent (something not true of the Original Series, which I've always liked better than its later reincarnations.)

(Alas, again, we seem to be back onto Q in particuar and not a discussion of omnipotence in general. But I'm, again, tapped out for further development.)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
rcorporon,

I don't know if anyone's mention this (so much has been said that it's hard to keep track of), or if it's a good idea (take it or leave it):

(1) Even if the insectiods aren't all-powerful, they still can be a force of nature. In the real world, ordinary insects in sufficent numbers are.

(2) Perhaps some of your characters could BELIEVE them to be all-powerful, while maybe having a lone dissenter to keep things in check.

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

A character can sometimes appear more as a force of nature than somebody to talk to. Take Sauron in "The Lord of the Rings." (Not the movie, not the posthumusly released material, but the book.) He seems omnipresent, an influence on all that happens...but he never appears on stage at all as a walking, talking character.

Of course, he wasn't omnipotent...he had a massive blind spot that made it possible to defeat him.

I suppose if an omnipotent antagonist has a fatal flaw, he's a more interesting character...

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rcorporon
Member # 2879

This thread has been great for me. I've really altered my perceptions of how I want to structure things in my world.

Thanks again!

Ronnie

Posts: 450 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
You know what's interesting is that in Jehovah's Witness Theology, God is omniscient, but just because he can know everything doesn't mean he always has to know everything. Which is how they explain the fall occuring without him wanting it to.
Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

It goes back to omnipotence, if an all-powerful being used all his power all the time, there'd be chaos. Instead the all-powerful being would use the power selectivly.

The same with selective omniscience, an all-powerful being would have the power to know or not to know, to use the power or not.

And of course there is the question of freewill and responsiblity. If an all-powerful being sets creation in motion and knows from the start how it will turn out, then that being would bear the responsiblity and blame for how it turns out. And if everything had such predetermintion, criminals couldn't be held responsibly for thier crimes.

The Dune series explores that question to some degree, 'What if you had the power could see the future?' Within the story, it was determined that Paul did not foresee the future, they created it.

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.