Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Magic WITHOUT a price (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Magic WITHOUT a price
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
No, criminals couldn't be held accountable for their crimes if God were constantly intervening, so there was no way to figure out if something was "bad" because the consequences were so unpredictable.

But if God sets up the rules of the universe and lets people explore it on their own, then they are accountable for their own actions, even if God already knew what they would do. Unless they are automatons rather than people.

It is a mistake to assert that just because you can predict a person's actions with confidence that means that person is a machine. We predict the actions of people we know well all the time. If we met a being that was impossible to predict, most of us wouldn't feel comfortable acknowledging that entity's personhood.

The kind of things that you'll do in any given situation defines who you are as a person. Just because someone else knows you well enough to predict your actions, that doesn't make you an automaton. If it were impossible for anyone to predict your actions, that would mean that there wasn't a you deciding what actions to take, that the behavior was random.

But this is all getting off the subject. Back to the subject, what if someone is omnipotent and omniscient, but simply doesn't care what happens with humans? That person didn't create us intentionally, we're just some minor refuse caused by something else. This is the same as if there was no such person, as far as we are concerned...can atheists simply shuck responsibility for their own actions off onto the universe at large?

Um...that went in the wrong direction at several levels.

The point I wanted to make is that the Mags don't really care about humans/whatever that much, no matter how powerful (and presumably knowledgable) they are. So the discussion of God doesn't pertain to them. Though come to think of it, some people might worship them anyway....

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
As Uncle Ben used to say, with great power comes great responsiblity.

Yeah, I guess this does veer from the original topic, but freewill verus determinism is a fasinating topic to explore in fiction and in real life.

I guess it depends on how you define predictability. People I knew have shocked me, people have pleasantly surprised me. And I've shocked myself more often than pleasantly surprising myself by my own actions.

19th century scientists believed in a clockwork universe, if you knew all the positions and motions of all the particles in the universe, you could predict the future. And many theologians seemed to agree.

But human behavior is more than the result of preditable particle trajectories and under the bedrock of newtonian clockwork, there is a sea of uncertainty and mystery.

Consciousness, intelligence, free will are all wonderful mysteries to comtemplate and gifts to enjoy.

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keldon02
Member # 2398

- posted      Profile for keldon02   Email keldon02         Edit/Delete Post 
But what if our role in the universe was similar to that of lobster eggs? A few million here and a few million there and one becomes a lobster?
Posts: 245 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that's sort of where I was going with my "Does doing magic amplify their insectoid appearance?" question.

What did they start out as? By doing magic did it change them in some noticeable way (such as appearance, but could also be in an anthorpological way).

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

No, it's really have to be an arthropodalogical way, wouldn't it?
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
I would doubt the existence of magic without a price.

If everyone has it and can use it freely, well, its not magic.

If few people have it and can use it freely they will have to put up with the demands of those who can't and will frequently have to pick sides and live up to expectations.

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leaf II
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Leaf II   Email Leaf II         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok... so I have a question that I wanted to ask, that relates to the above post a bit, but I wanted to ask it specifically relating to my story. I wrote out a long question and everything previous, but upon submitting it, something happened with I.E. and it was erased. Gone forever. So forgive me if I am sort of short with the question (even though I know the explaination was longer.... whatever)

In my world there are those that can do magic, they have a very small magic ability, and are then taught how to use it, especially using rote spells, very by the book. But then there are two ppl born at roughly the same time, unrelated, in different parts of the world, who have a completely natural and unlimited command of 'magic.' They can do whatever they want, with the only consequences being, for them, the results of the magic they have thought up and worked. For those who use magic more unnaturally, 'by the book,' there are also no consequences, but they have less of an impact on the world.
I'm wondering what you guys think of this. I know the school of thought where magic has consequences, but there is no draining of power, or sacrifices to use your magic. It's like your arm, or mouth, for these to special people. It doesnt require consequences of them to use at all. So any specific discussion to this would be extra helpful.
Thx..

-leaf

Posts: 147 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Are these two people enemies?

Because if they're protagonists, then this has "linear plot" written all over it.

Leaf II
Member # 2924

Ummm... I'm not sure what linear plot means. Perhaps you could just explain that in a sentence or two for me. These characters are not.... born enemies or anything, but eventually, things come to pass that they are. Basically one uses her ability for bad things and one for good. Its more complex than that, but that is the simple version.
Posts: 147 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

"Linear plot" just means that the protagonist doesn't have any real obstacles, and therefore could easily just walk in a straight line from point A to point B. If these two wind up as antagonists that's not a problem.
Leaf II
Member # 2924

Oh... hey thanks.

Yeah, that won't be a problem. She will have a lot to overcome.

yanos
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for yanos   Email yanos         Edit/Delete Post 
I find using my arm or mouth quite tiring. My muscles and cells certainly feel it needs energy. I have trouble with any system which creates energy. Most processes involve energy transfer/change so it seems reasonable that magic followed the same principles. If the energy comes from another dimension/handwavium plane of existence then I'm cool with that. So long as it comes from somewhere.
Posts: 575 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leaf II
Member # 2924

interesting... interesting..

Good point, man. I'll give that some thought... cuz I hadn't...

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.