Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Inadvertently funny lines

Author Topic: Inadvertently funny lines
Crotalus
Member # 2345

- posted      Profile for Crotalus   Email Crotalus         Edit/Delete Post 
Thought this might be cool. Sometimes when I'm pounding out a first draft, I'll write something that I immediately laugh at. Usually it's just an inadvertently funny line. Here is my most recent:

The last leg of the journey would be taken on foot.

So does anybody else have any?

Posts: 46 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
In a Flash piece I managed to write "Anger poured out of her pores".

Not funny.

Just very, very, very bad juxtaposition.

This is why rewrites exist.

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JmariC
Member # 2698

- posted      Profile for JmariC   Email JmariC         Edit/Delete Post 
Just yesterday a friend pointed out.
"In brining her up they had instilled the importance of God."

My friend said if the original statement was true, my mc would be a pickled herring. (which I assume would be better than the red version.)

Posts: 233 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
My all time favorite was when a friend accidentally used the word "incontinence" when he meant "incompetence."
Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
"My client is flatulent in Spanish."
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
As the result of a politically correct grammar checker, one of my mom's fantasy epics contained:

"He jumped up and down on the pile of smouldering homosexuals"

(faggots was changed to homosexuals by WordPerfect.)

[This message has been edited by franc li (edited October 10, 2005).]

Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ahavah
Member # 2599

- posted      Profile for Ahavah   Email Ahavah         Edit/Delete Post 

Posts: 239 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leigh
Member # 2901

- posted      Profile for Leigh   Email Leigh         Edit/Delete Post 
Does that mean I can't use faggot in Word 2000 or is it still fine?
Posts: 384 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
apeiron
Member # 2565

- posted      Profile for apeiron   Email apeiron         Edit/Delete Post 
I once used "prostate" instead of "prostrate." Fortunately, I caught that one.
Posts: 184 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that song about those poor angels who's prostates are falling is so sad, isn't it?
Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Spell check changed "dissipated" into "decapitated"
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Franc Li!

Puts new meaning to Ali Baba having 'two faggots tied to his donkey.'

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited October 17, 2005).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
If I'm lucky I'll come up with a good line. One snatch of dialog happened right on the page (well, the screen) as I pounded the keys:

CHARACTER ONE: "I've just been hit by my contradictions."

CHARACTER TWO: "Have you tried Mydol?"

Not the most original joke in the world, but it made me laugh as I wrote it.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

This is as good of a place to stick this comment as any. Not a spelling error, but funny nonetheless.

I was watching HGTV last night, and they had a show on weird bathrooms. Some guy has build an elaborate, and I do mean ELABORATE track that encircles his bathroom several times. Little metal balls roll out of a chute then go flying down the track, triggering complex mechanisms to whirl them, fling them, lift them, drop them... it is mind boggling.

Anyhow, the guy is discussing the obsessive number of hours he puts into building this contraption, and he says, "I have attention surplus disorder."

I thought that perfectly described how I feel when I'm writing. I can be lost in my writing obsession for HOURS and hours and HOURS.

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
hoptoad: especially in light of a time my sister tried to tell a joke by substituting donkey for another word. There is a biblical quote where... I think it's Noah- ties his ass to a tree and walks 40 paces. When she changed it to donkey it sounded even more tasteless.
Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
In an LDS church meeting a woman got up and gave a long talk about the trials of their family concerning her husband's surgery on his scrotum. She went on and on about how the children couldn't sit on his lap, and how much pain he was in. On and on and on. After she was finished, the husband quietly stood, went to the microphone and said, "It was my sternum."
Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

I worked at a church for a while... one of the ministers told me of the days he was going through seminary. It was a requirement of all the students to give a Sunday sermon. One of his co-students drew the slot for the week before Easter. Apparently this minister-to-be stood up before his congregation and declared, "Next week is Easter, the day when millions of Christians from around the world come together to celebrate the erection of Jesus Christ." Apparently he never realized his gaffe. My response to my minister friend was: "I'll bet the women in the congregation were thinking: "Hallelujah, he has RISEN!"
heh. That's one of my favorite true stories.

Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure that they were politely zoned out, and didn't notice at all.

I one time described how the heroic defenders of someplace or other had beat off the attackers. I'm sure that doesn't mean anything like what my audience seemed to think it meant

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.