Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Present or past tense?

Author Topic: Present or past tense?
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
If you're in third person deep penetration, and the MC thinks about something he believes to be generally true, is it "is", or "was"?

As in:

He'd always known the basic rules of the universe. Klingons love Shakespeare. 2 plus 2 is 4. And even-numbered Star Trek movies don't suck.

or:

He'd always known the basic rules of the universe. Klingons loved Shakespeare. 2 plus 2 was 4. And even-numbered Star Trek movies didn't suck.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
What is the tense of the whole narrative? 3rd person can be present or past tense, or future tense, I suppose.

Anyway, since the first sentence is past tense ('He had'), I assume the rest of the story is as well. In that case, the bottom example feels right to me.

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, I wonder if a style manual has the answer? I actually prefer the first example, and have seen that done in print. But it may be okay both ways.
Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

- posted      Profile for Silver3   Email Silver3         Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen both used in print.
I prefer the second, but it's a personal thing.

Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer the 1st. Not to be contrary, but because you've set up that the character is going to opine onthe basic truths, and then the character does so and the presetn lends immediacy. It seems more correct to me that way.
Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lazer
Member # 3098

- posted      Profile for Lazer   Email Lazer         Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer the first way.

I you say 2 and 2 was four, you imply that it is something from the past, when 2 and 2 STILL is four nowadays. At least, that's the way I read it...

Posts: 8 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crotalus@work
Member # 2959

- posted      Profile for Crotalus@work   Email Crotalus@work         Edit/Delete Post 
I also vote for the first way. For the reason Mike stated.
Posts: 57 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
First way.

You can likely use either way and be correct but make sure you are consistant.

However the first would be my pick for most of the reasons already said.

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Minister
Member # 2213

- posted      Profile for Minister   Email Minister         Edit/Delete Post 
It's my Greek training coming through again, but I like the first -- not because it's deep penetration, but because it states general truths. Good question, though; I often struggle with exactly how to word thoughts in 3rd person deep penetration.
Posts: 491 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corky
Member # 2714

- posted      Profile for Corky   Email Corky         Edit/Delete Post 
When you think those rules (or ones like them) in your own head, do you use present or past?

I use present, so I'd vote for the first one.

[This message has been edited by Corky (edited January 05, 2006).]

Posts: 603 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the question is what you mean to say, not which is "correct". By using the past as you do in the second example, you strongly imply that these rules of the universe (or perhaps just one of them) are no longer valid. The implied statement is very clear, and it is not present in the present tense usage.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Calligrapher
Member # 2985

- posted      Profile for Calligrapher   Email Calligrapher         Edit/Delete Post 
The story is part of a timeline. Even though the story is told in past tense, there are events that happended prior to the story, at the same time as the story and events that will happen in the future.

He'd always known the basic rules of the universe. The Klingons had loved Plato at one time. Now they love Shakespeare. They would have loved OSC if the series had not ended.

Posts: 136 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds good to me!
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yanos
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for yanos   Email yanos         Edit/Delete Post 
Rules and truths (or things believed to be true) can always be written in present tense, doesn't matter what the situation.

Roger Bannister is the first man to run a mile in under 4 minutes.

Posts: 575 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
benskia
Member # 2422

- posted      Profile for benskia   Email benskia         Edit/Delete Post 
I vote for the first one.
Because of what Lazer said.

Posts: 329 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krazykiter
Member # 3108

- posted      Profile for krazykiter   Email krazykiter         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Survivor on this one. I would use the first, for example, in a situation where you want your character to be confused about the present reality of his situation:

"He'd always known the basic rules of the universe. Klingons love Shakespeare. 2 plus 2 is 4. And even-numbered Star Trek movies don't suck. So why wasn't the Illudium 238 Space Demodulator working?"

As Survivor points out, the second seems more appropriate to a situation where things are different, and the character is aware of the change.

Posts: 195 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.