Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Firefly, BSG and SF in general - what works?

Author Topic: Firefly, BSG and SF in general - what works?
Corin224
Member # 2513

- posted      Profile for Corin224   Email Corin224         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a thread running that kind of parallels this one, but I have a different tack I wanted to take on this topic, even before I knew the other thread existed. So here goes:

I love science fiction. I have since I started reading and watching TV. The first movie I ever saw was Star Wars, I was a die-hard trekkie during the 'Next Generation' years, and I've read about 90% of what Asimov, Niven, and OSC have written, as well as many others.

Lately, I've been feeding my sci-fi addiction with two shows: Firefly, and the new and VASTLY improved Battlestar Galactica. Firefly is done. 15 episodes and a movie, and it's over. As far as I'm concerned, the perfect sci-fi experience, however brief. BSG started out the same way, but now, at the end of the 2nd season, I find I can't bring myself to care anymore. In fact, I haven't even watched the last 4 or 5 episodes. I just don't care.

I couldn't figure out why. The characters are great. The storyline is believable and immersive and entertaining, but I just can't bring myself to want to get caught up.

As for firefly, I've watched the whole series through 3 times, and I'm on my way through for a 4th.

So what's the difference?

I've thought about this for a while, and the most important difference I can come up with was actually suggested to me by my friend's dad. He said to me:

"I don't really like Galactica anymore. It's never happy. It's just depressing."

Is it really that simple? I don't think so, because I can't stand the new Trek series (what IS the plural of series?) and they have plenty of "happy" in them. And I liked "The Next Generation" as well, which had good plots, characters, and happy and sad moments, and I don't think it could hold a candle to either of these two more modern shows.

Still, I think that my friend's dad is on to something there. I'm just not sure what. I find that in my own plot-weaving (I hesitate to say writing, since I've actually written so few of my plots) I tend to focus on the darker side of the human psyche. Am I wading into dangerous territory with my stories, where I'll lose half my readers? Or is there some OTHER element that I'm missing here that is the REAL 'make or break' factor.

And I guess this is more than just a SF genre topic. It's most evident in TV shows, but you can see the same thing in book series, too. When does a show like 'Lost' just stop being fun, or a series like 'Wheel of Time', or even (dare I say it?) the 'Alvin Maker' series. (brilliant in many ways, but why don't I even care about reading the most recent one?)

I think there's some part of the human condition I just stop identifying with after a while?

Am I nuts, or does anybody else get what I'm talking about?

-Falken224 (posing as Corin)

Posts: 121 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Am I nuts, or does anybody else get what I'm talking about?
Are those really our only options?

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jammrock
Member # 3293

- posted      Profile for Jammrock   Email Jammrock         Edit/Delete Post 
I think a lot of BSG's problems are repetition. It's the same thing over and over again.

We're still stuck in space. The Cylons are still after us.

Insert human weakness.

Insert philosophical debate.

Cylons take advantage.

Humans barely escape.

Rinse and repeat.

Unfortunately for you, the last 4-5 episodes of BSG changed drastically. It was no longer rinse and repeat. Rinse and Repeat is also the same phenomena that killed Alias. It was fun for two or three seasons, but each time they attempted a major plot twist, it ended up being Ri&Re.

I would give the end of season 2 a chance, it really did mix things up enough to break the cycle.

As for the darkness thing, there is merit to that argument, too. Americans love happy endings. They don't like long, drawn out, adventures where the happy ending is nowhere in site. There are niche audiences that will always love it (like "goth" lit and horror), and a good book can occasionally get away with it, but if you want to be famous, then chances are you need a good balance between happiness and sorrow.

My $0.02.

Jammrock

[This message has been edited by Jammrock (edited April 13, 2006).]

Posts: 136 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm afraid I never got into Firefly or BSG, so I can't talk intelligently about them. And while I loved STTNG when I was a kid and they were making new ones, I outgrew it shortly after entering high school, when I realized just how trite the show really was.

Now I like sophisticatd science fiction, which is incredibly difficult to come by. I like characters I care about, plots that make sense, and more to the show than T&A and egotistical men.

And I'll say it again a hundred times, but my favorite is Babylon 5 and this doesn't seem likely to changea ny time soon with the new stuff I've seen.

I also enjoyed most of Farscape. I even liked their highly original method of keeping the two main love interests apart during the third (I think) season.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susannaj4
Member # 3189

- posted      Profile for Susannaj4   Email Susannaj4         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, things about us started out the same--first movie ever seen, second movie I saw was "Star Trek". My mother was a die hard Trek fan and while she lived we watched all the episodes, including Ds9. I tried to get into the next one and couldn't.

But I agree with the repitition thing. I stopped watching Charmed for that reason. I wanted something fresh and new, not the same old stories told with different characters.
When something is played out, it's too much.

Posts: 341 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Just relax. Not everyone likes the same things. And it isn't that hard to learn to avoid the things that are universally hated. Of course, my brother thinks that it's a good idea to rip an MP3 of Asahina Mikuru trying to sing those lyrics Haruhi wrote...I suppose that just means that someone will like pretty much anything

People like different things, you don't need millions of readers, so write what you like.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
I felt the same way about BSG. I was passionately interested until about the middle of season 2, when I realized that I'd stopped caring. Part of it was that the characters I liked the most were becoming less and less likeable, and the plot wasn't redeeming any of that. Everything was just getting worse and worse with no respite and no moments of sunshine or tenderness. My husband watched all the way to the end, and asked me to give it another chance with the last few episodes. I did watch them, and I have to say they are better than the ones that were making me sick of the show. However, the stunt the writers pulled with time passing in the finale really irked me, and I'm still not sure I've forgiven them.

I've realized that I don't want to watch "life sucks and then you die" stuff that much. Now, that's not to say I don't like drama. I can even handle sad endings if they make sense. For example, I thought House of Sand and Fog was one of the saddest movies I'd ever seen but I LOVED it, despite the ending. The ending fit and grew naturally out of the characters and the choices they made. Same with American History X. But in general, if I suspect the writer is just throwing stuff in front of the heroes to add suspense or tension, I don't care.

Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AstroStewart
Member # 2597

- posted      Profile for AstroStewart   Email AstroStewart         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen BSG, but someone mentioned the same (or similar) failings happening to Alias, so I know just how you feel in that sense. There comes a point where you realize that the show you onced loved, so full of potential and promise, just keeps doing the same old stuff over and over, never really going where you want it to go. When that happens, it's hard not to just lose interest, while the place in your heart for that story gradually dies away or fills up with a new, better show/book/whatever.

But it's worth while to check back on that show every once in awhile. I remember a few seasons back I grew weary of Smallville for that very reason. A month or so of mediocre, rinse and repeat episodes mid season and I just stopped caring if I remembered to watch it next week or not. But then a friend got me back into it with the last 3-4 episodes of that season (whatever season it was, I forget) in which they really twisted stuff around, developed alot of storyline, and ended with a fantastic season finale. It was then, or maybe the following season, that I learned to simply expect the season to be littered with half a dozen pointless, mediocre, freak-of-the-week rinse-and-repeat episodes. But now I keep watching not becuase those episodes are all that good, but because, over all, they ARE making progress, and somewhere between 1/2-1/3 of the episodes are good enough to make the others worth while.

Incidentally, I somehow feel obligated to mention that Smallville is a "guilty pleasure" of sorts with me. By no means to I consider it's quality to be up there with say, Firefly, which IMO may have been the best TV show ever made, but I'm a sucker for super hero stories, so I put my disecting editor-self aside and enjoy the show despite some of its failings. I also have to put my physicist-self aside every time someone hits Clark with a golf club, which then mysteriously shatters for no reason. (Honestly, do you think YOU could shatter a golf club by swinging it at a steel bar, brick wall, or something else (superman) that is essentially unchanged by the force of its impact?)

Back to the point, especially in comparison to Firefly, we also have to remember that Firefly never really got a chance. It only had 14 episodes before it was cancelled, so it really didn't have enough time to run the danger of rinse and repeat. For all we know, if allowed to continue, maybe we would be singing the same old tune: "remember how good Firefly was in the first 2 seasons, but then that third season was the same old stuff..."

Who knows?

Posts: 280 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corin224
Member # 2513

First to reply:

quote:
Are those really our only options?

quote:
Unfortunately for you, the last 4-5 episodes of BSG changed drastically. It was no longer rinse and repeat.

Actually, that's good to know. I'll have to DL those episodes and watch them sometime.

But I think I know what it is I was getting at, but couldn't put into words.

I stop caring about these shows when they lose their connection to any kind of humanity. You look at Firefly, and that show appeals to so many people because it's such a rich and authentic picture of the "human experience" for lack of a better term. You absolutely believe that ALL of those characters could exist, and would act exactly the way they do.

BSG, the last few episodes that I watched . . . there was nothing for me to identify with. I did at the start. I could imagine myself in the shoes of any one of those characters and feeling and thinking exactly the same things they did. But lately, I've just been thinking . . . huh? I mean . . . okay . . . cool plot twists, but I don't connect with any of these characters any more. I don't believe they'd actually act that way. They're just there as props for a big complicated game of "what if" the authors decided to pose to us.

The problem is . . . those "what if" situations are getting SOOOO much harder to believe, 'cause they're SO FARFETCHED. There's no element in them I can connect with.

And looking at the Alvin Maker series, I see that I'm feeling exactly the same. I can't identify with it anymore. It's a great story, very creative, and I definitely give OSC props for creating such a magnificent world, but I don't identify with it at all after the third book. Even shrugging all that stuff off as "magic . . . of course you can't identify with it" and willingly suspending my disbelief anyway, I just don't see the later books as relating at all to anything I understand as "the human experience". Seriously . . . sit down and start reading the last one after you've had a few years away from the first 4. (or is it 5). The book's complete gibberish without that context.

So how do you keep from getting lost in your world and making it relevant?

And one final reaction:

quote:
we also have to remember that Firefly never really got a chance. . . (edit) . . . For all we know, if allowed to continue, maybe we would be singing the same old tune:

I wouldn't be surprised. But . . . as it is, we have the perfect sci-fi show, and it'll always stay that way. Honestly, I'm quite happy about that. Still, why do so many people love that show. My mom, my wife, my friends' moms and wives all watch Firefly and love it. And they all hate sci-fi shows. But they love this one. What is it about that show that captures people?

I think it's that "human" factor.

. . .

So what is that exactly? How do I get it in my stories?

Hmm.

-Falken224 (posing as Corin)

[This message has been edited by Corin224 (edited April 13, 2006).]

Posts: 121 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Still, why do so many people love that show. My mom, my wife, my friends' moms and wives all watch Firefly and love it. And they all hate sci-fi shows. But they love this one. What is it about that show that captures people?

I think it's that "human" factor.

Well, Firefly had exceptional characters that we could care about (or sometimes loathe and groan at but still recognize some basic goodness, in the case of Jayne for example). Firefly had mystery and suspense, developed quickly and revealed slowly (nor did Firefly waste any time on the "science" of anything -- didn't have to). Firefly had (I think) three distinctly different romance sub plots, and none of them were overdone or sappy -- they felt as real as anyone's romance -- all of them unique and interesting. Firefly had characters who made tough choices, and once made, stood by those choices for better worse, much as real people do in real life. Firefly was completely plausible in most regards, though some handwavium was required (and to be expected). Firefly could have easily been told without the science fiction aspect (and pretty much was a western in space -- done right). Firefly was, simply, good storytelling with oustanding and believable characters who were not perfect, but only human.

That said, I also enjoyed Farscape a lot, despite the egregious second episode in the first season. John needed translator microbes to understand the rest of the crew of Moya, and likewise they all needed microbes to understand each other. So, in episode 1.2, how could a race of people who had never met or had any proof of beings from space communicate with John, since they would never have been injected with translator microbes? Just makes me mad.

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
Try the new Doctor Who on SciFi channel (assuming you are in the U.S.)
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Many tv shows suffer from running out of new things to do. Babylon 5, one of my favorites, had the major plot, minor plots, and show plots. There were a few of the B5 shows that were a bit lacking, but overall...hard to beat.

Farscape died from cost, not bad writing. Just when I thought they were running out of ideas...they came up with something even more off the wall.

BSG, I like it...and I do sometimes find some of the shows a bit dull. I think the dull shows are the lead in's to the more dramatic ones.

What makes scifi good? Not being the same as everything else. I got very tired of Star Trek when they stopped letting the people solve the problems and let the technology solve it for them. Stargate has been milked to the max and I only think I watch because I've invested so much time in all the rest...what's another hour?

Within the universe of scifi, anything is possible as long as you can find a way for it to be so. I think part of the problem is not enough people want to understand some of the concepts necessary to write good scifi. Walk into any book store and the number of fantasy seem to dominate the shelves over scifi. To me that means it will be easier to get my scifi novel published, but I'll have to finish it first.

Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cvgurau
Member # 1345

- posted      Profile for cvgurau   Email cvgurau         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a little disappointed in that the only contribution I have to the discussion is to mention that Firefly (a great show, btw, that makes me wish I could forget it only to watch it again for the first time) was cancelled after 11 episodes, not 14. The last 3 were unaired.

Everything else seems to have been said.

[This message has been edited by cvgurau (edited April 14, 2006).]

Posts: 552 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pjp
Member # 3211

- posted      Profile for pjp           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Firefly was cancelled after 11 episodes, not 14. The last 3 were unaired.
Yes, but they were released on DVD, so perhaps that led to the confusion. I liked the movie, but have never seen an episode of the TV show (no cable or network TV).

I think SF generally suffers from being poorly done. For whatever reason, the genre is generally done in wish-they-were-B-movie fashion, or as an action movie with SF window dressing. The latter can be entertaining, but not necessarily a "really good movie" that was also SF.

Posts: 160 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

No, that isn't it. SF is being done with children as the target market. That's why it's difficult to find anything on TV or in the movies that is both original and thought-provoking. The original Star Trek, whatever else you may think about the show, took huge risks with content. I have it from a solid source that a certain producer remarketed the franchise for children soon after TNG began, and that has propogated through all the different iterations.

Success breeds imitators. Enough people like that producer's track record that now it's the way things are done.

For shame.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
I also loved Firefly, although I never saw it until it went to DVD. In my opinion, what made the show work was: the character interactions, the subtle humor, the fact that the characters had flaws as well as goodness. The dialog was clever, and the reactions were real. It was a great ensemble show.

I am old enough to remember Star Trek when it was first airing back in the '60's. It was highly controversial at the time. One must keep in perspective that, up until that time, science fiction consisted of the old-time godzilla movies, Buck Rogers, and movies like The Day The Earth Stood Still. To have science fiction on prime-time TELEVISION was amazing. Even more so, was the fact that they tackled social issues like racial prejudice, blind adherance to government control, and fighting unjust wars. It was a reflection of the late '60's when the USA was emmeshed in Vietnam and race riots. No other television show at the time was speaking out on these social issues.

The willingness of Star Trek to tackle uncomfortable topics and confront the social injustice of the time was what eventually turned it into a cult classic. They did a good job of carrying that banner with ST: The Next Generation and to a large degree with Deep Space Nine. Sadly, the various following incarnations gradually lost that social-commentary edge and eventually it just became the Alien Of The Week With a Facial Prosthetic. I used to be a die-hard ST fan; by the time the last, lame show limped into the sunset I couldn't care less.

I miss good sci-fi TV that pushes the envelope, not only with special effects, but particularly with exploring the concept of: how might society look different?

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

I suppose if we're talking about Star Trek, I just have to register that Voyager was and remains my favorite. It had something that got lost in the preachyness of both TNG and DS9. With Voyager you could make up your own mind whether Janeway (and everyone else) was doing the right thing or not, and that gave it a moral perspective that was more compelling. With TNG and DS9, Sisko and Picard were always either morally perfect or clearly fallen from grace, there was never any wiggle room at the end of the episode.

In some ways, that might make them safer shows to some viewers, but for me it just made them less interesting.

The original series, though campy and unsophisticated in many of its moral dilemmas, never "scored" Kirk or his crew. They did what they did, and often they had doubts or disagreements about whether it was the best or even the right thing to do. But the show left it up to you to form a moral opinion. That's what made it so powerful, you had to think for yourself about the moral issues involved.

I think it was one thing that many viewers loved about Firefly as well. You don't have to be a U.N. hating survivalist holed up in the desert with a weapons cache to love that show (though it helps ). At the end of the day, the question of whether the Alliance or any of the characters is good, evil, ugly, or just a little imperfect is left up to you. Sure, sometimes someone is just evil...but they don't feel the need to tell you.

It isn't that the question of good and evil doesn't matter, but that the characters act like themselves, not Krusty dolls with a "good/evil" switch on the back. I think that's the problem with most fiction in this day and age, not just SF.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mig
Member # 3318

- posted      Profile for Mig           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
At the end of the day, the question of whether the Alliance or any of the characters is good, evil, ugly, or just a little imperfect is left up to you.

Couldn't agree more. To Firefly and the new BSG represent the best of TV scifi. Hard to think of any scfi motion picture that has been of equal or greater quality. I love the moral ambiguity in these shows, especially in BSG. The characters often demonstrate some unexpected depth. Love the unexpected plot twists. There are few episodes of BSG in which I don't find myself yelling "OMG" I can't belive what they just did. Especially in the second season finale of BSG.

I've enjoyed most versions of Trek over the years, but Trek is just good cotton candy compared to the prime rib of BSG and Firefly. Sorry, couldn't think of a better analogy.

[This message has been edited by Mig (edited April 14, 2006).]

[This message has been edited by Mig (edited April 14, 2006).]

Posts: 73 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I think I said around here somewhere, but will repeat despite doing so, that I got fed up with "Star Trek" around the time of "First Contact"---which I thought was gross and disgusting in its presentation, and I was disgusted by the main characters abandoning their friends and comrades and fellow crewmen to the collective. (I liked the scenes on Earth, with some of the crew helping to get the first warp-drive ship off the ground, though.) After that I've watched the occasional episode, but came to the conclusion that there's been just too much "Star Trek" for its own good. I watch the occasional episode, and occasionally scan for an old favorite, but it's dropped out of my regular viewing habits.

I've seen little of the current stuff you guys mention...the little I have seen also "hasn't grabbed" me...but very little on TV or in the movies does, really.

(A bit off-topic: ignore this if you wish. This "not grabbing" kinda happened for me with the written portion of science fiction, too...I still subscribe and occasionally leaf through magazines, still go to the SF sections of the bookstores, still reread favorites from years ago, still buy the occasional new book or new magazine, but I read very little of it (while reading a great deal of other things). I still want to *write* science fiction...but I think I'm about "full up" as far as far as new stuff goes.)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mommiller
Member # 3285

- posted      Profile for mommiller   Email mommiller         Edit/Delete Post 
Robert Nowall wrote.

(A bit off-topic: ignore this if you wish. This "not grabbing" kinda happened for me with the written portion of science fiction, too...I still subscribe and occasionally leaf through magazines, still go to the SF sections of the bookstores, still reread favorites from years ago, still buy the occasional new book or new magazine, but I read very little of it (while reading a great deal of other things). I still want to *write* science fiction...but I think I'm about "full up" as far as far as new stuff goes.)

Me too!!!

It has only been lately that I have reapproached the genre as far as reading goes. Most of my reading has been Mysteries, Non-Fiction and some other literature I guess. Nothing on the Sci-Fi shelves has really appealed to me at all, although I check it regularly.

Perhaps that is why we feel so compelled to write it, to satisfy what we are not finding on the bookshelves. A possibility I have often considered.

Many of the stories in F&F though are promising starts to what could eventually be novels that I would be interested in.

I don't watch television at all BTW, and don't really feel that I am missing anything either. Although I have watched most of the first series of the New BG on DVD, which I thought was quite good, although I heard it lags in the second.

Posts: 306 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pjp
Member # 3211

quote:
No, that isn't it. SF is being done with children as the target market. That's why it's difficult to find anything on TV or in the movies that is both original and thought-provoking.
For me, the problem is definitely low quality (not to be confused with low-budget).

Posts: 160 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sholar
Member # 3280

- posted      Profile for sholar   Email sholar         Edit/Delete Post 
I think ultimately it is about characterization. 2nd season BSG seemed to run into this a lot. Characters did not behave consistently, making the stories hard to get into. For example, in one episode, they suddenly tell us that Lee has been seeing a prostitute for a few months. There had been no indicator of this up until then. So immediately, the viewer is going, wait, how did I miss this supposedly important relationship? In writing, this is even more crucial because your reader can immediately go back and start searching, which of course takes them away from the story.
Another aspect that was a weakness of BSG this season was telling not showing. Not just in the finale, but even in earlier episodes, there would be an indicator of time passage and then we would have summary scenes. The best examples I can think of could be considered spoilers so I don't really want to give them. It can be argued that in a show, you are limited in time.
Some of these flaws are there because they are trying to create a harsh and depressing place. Ron Moore even said in an interview that he really only threw in the whole child slavery thing because he had to make sure people knew things were really bad (which then justified what someone else did)- despite the fact that it was horribly cliched and badly done (too lazy to link).
So, personally, I don't think dark is the problem. I think it is a problem when you sacrifice good storytelling just to make it dark.

Posts: 303 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

So there are different kinds of people. Some people want the characters to be true to themselves, some want the characters to be true to some moral code, and some just want the characters to do something unexpected.

You can't satisfy all three groups. It's that simple.

sholar
Member # 3280

- posted      Profile for sholar   Email sholar         Edit/Delete Post 
You could create a character that has a strong moral code that defines them so that in being true to themselves, they are true to the code. Or you can create a character that despises predictability so doing the unpredictable is true to his character. I really don't think its possible to create a character with the moral code that does unpredictable things though. So, you can make two out of three groups happy. Just not that pesky third group.
Posts: 303 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Minister
Member # 2213

- posted      Profile for Minister   Email Minister         Edit/Delete Post 
That might depend on how well you understand their moral code -- sometimes in real life a person does something unexpected (sometimes we even surprise ourselves), and it's because you didn't understand some aspect of what motivated them. Moral codes can sometimes be quite complex. Often that surprise leads eventually to a deeper understanding of the individual. Sometimes the new Batman movie had it right -- it's not who you are inside, it's what you do that defines you. Especially true in movies/television, in which we cannot really know what the character thinks/feels/believes, except as expressed by what they do and say. Perhaps one of the great strengths of Firefly was that it permitted its characters (such as the captain and the older brother) the depth of a complex moral code.
Posts: 491 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

Or consider the Doctor in the new Doctor Who. The Brits will have seen more than the Americans, but anyway, it's clear that this Doctor is a much more complicated character than previous iterations. He is more bitter, colder, and something he never was in the original series, willing to kill. There is definitely a complex moral code at work.
Survivor
Member # 213

Or not.

Being willing to kill doesn't necessarily involve complex rationalization. Particularly for a time traveling alien.

You know the grandfather paradox? Well, it turns out that if you kill your grandfather, someone else steps into the breach. In the end, the only difference is that the person you killed got killed, everything important to the future that person would have done gets done by someone else.

Time travel long enough, and this begins to affect your sense of mortality and morality.

Corin224
Member # 2513

So, after the recommendation of several people on the forums, I went and watched the remainder of the season of BSG.

quote:
I think it is a problem when you sacrifice good storytelling just to make it dark.

One word:

**EXACTLY**

THAT is my frustration with that series. A well told dark story takes good characters with good motivations, puts them in a bad position with a hideous moral dilemma, and makes them decide which bad thing to do. Or it takes good characters with good motivations, and gradually creates a situation where without even realizing it, they've crossed a very definite moral line, we're just not quite sure where.

BSG took good characters with good motivations, kinda tweaked their motivations to bad ones, then moved them back to good motiviations, even though they weren't quite good characters any more, then went back to making them good characters with good motivations faced with an impossible dilemma that they wouldn't have faced if they'd just been the good characters with good motivations from the beginning.

That's cheating.

On the other hand . . . I get the distinct feeling that what the producers have done . . . they've hit the "reset" button.

I've never seen anything like it before. I'm not sure they pulled it off. I'm not sure they haven't!

I have to admit, I've never quite seen anything like this.

I would love to get into more details, but they'd have to be spoier-ridden and really . . . this isn't a BSG forum. It's a writing forum.

And now we get to the bottom of what I like so much about Firefly, and I believe this post will be my last, because I really am quite clear now about what's been bugging me here.

Firefly was never about the "story arc". The story was the characters and how they related to each other . . . in the context of a series of events that might happen to be part of a bigger arc.

BSG season one was the same way. There's a reason that season won awards, as well as so many viewers.

But now, it's all about the "story arc". The only means of building tension for the last 2/3 of the season has been "what's going to happen next". It hasn't been about the characters AT ALL. They've been props. Badly decorated sets that the story has been running around on, upstaging everything else.

It's about good stories vs. good plots. There are soooo few good sci-fi "stories".

My advice is to write stories, not plots. I've started to realize over just the last few minutes that my best stories have fizzled and died when I tried to make them into plots. It's why I can't stand the Alvin Maker series. It's about the plot now. It's why I can only just barely stand the Wheel of Time series. It's about the plot. It's why you can't stand to watch the "soaps" that pollute daytime television. It's ALL about the plot.

When I write a PLOT, I don't care. It turns out terrible because there's no STORY in it. If I wanted to write about a series of tragic, ironic events that clearly illustrate our flaws and strenghts as humans, I'll become a journalist. When you're writing a plot, that's all you are. You're a journalist. With flair, granted, but still just a journalist.

When I write characters . . . when I write STORIES, I have fun!

And I'm rambling. I can't imagine why. It's only 3:45 in the morning. It couldn't be that I'm tired.

-A very SLEEPY Falken224 (posing as a very SLEEPY Corin)

[This message has been edited by Corin224 (edited April 17, 2006).]

Susannaj4
Member # 3189

- posted      Profile for Susannaj4   Email Susannaj4         Edit/Delete Post 
Along these lines, has anyone seen the movie "The Cronicles Of Riddick"?

It was the worst dialogue I had ever heard. It didn't fit with the times they were in. Phrases like 'all back a da bus' and 'a day of days'. I really don't like it when an author or screenwriter mixes times through dialogue. It makes it sound weak and contrived.(I have to say it, mama don't turn over in your grave too fast, like Star Trek DS9)

I understood the premise of the story, but didn't understand how it all really tied together. I mean the dude who could take souls Lord whatever, he was God, vampire, and weak. He feared. I don't get a character like that. And the religion. They were all half dead. The reasone why they were wondering the universe taking people to the underverse still wasn't clear. IT should have been in the story.

Posts: 341 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pjp
Member # 3211

I didn't have those issues with The Cronicles Of Riddick (Pitch Black, to which TCOR was the sequel, was much better). I thought it was better than most stuff put out as SF, though certainly not perfect.

First and foremost, I perceived the movie to be an action movie, with SF being a backdrop (I think Pitch was SF first, probably explaining why COR wasn't as good). I expect less from action movies than most other types of movies, which allows me to not care about minor dialogue or plot issues. I usually only ask myself if I enjoyed the movie. Only after I answer "no" do I usually try and figure out why.

[This message has been edited by pjp (edited April 17, 2006).]

Matt Lust
Member # 3031

- posted      Profile for Matt Lust   Email Matt Lust         Edit/Delete Post 
What works is a hard question.

I've found that most "good" SF follows some form of formula that they've tweaked a little. As Spaceman said success breeds imitators

Take as prime example, the new BSG. the first 20 or so episodes plus the miniseris threatened to turn BSG into an overplayed fugitive storyline (albiet with a few clever diversions like politics) but the last few second season episodes do give hope for a good shift in tone.

Ultimately a good SF story or any story for that matter is less about the outcome (ie good guys win or whatever) and more about how you reach the conclusion.

In good fiction writing the ends never justify the means.

Posts: 514 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ted Galacci
Member # 3254

- posted      Profile for Ted Galacci           Edit/Delete Post 
I think good Science Fiction is alien but not too alien to connect with the audience. It makes a point without being preachy. It doesn't require a degree in physics (or any other science) but wouldn't make a scientist sneer (or anyone who ever cracked an introductory astronomy book) at the scientific boners either.

I could never get into Firefly because the backstory presented at the beginning of each episode was just so trite and logophobic.

BSG was just TOO familiar. All those people from all those differant planets looking and acting exacly like fin de millenium American urbanites. (I swear I saw someone eating Chinese food with chopsticks in one epsisode.)

Don't even get me started on ST TNG...

Posts: 50 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

What the hell does logophobic mean?

quote:
All those people from all those differant planets looking and acting exacly like fin de millenium American urbanites. (I swear I saw someone eating Chinese food with chopsticks in one epsisode.)

We call this "cosmopolitan", meaning people who aren't used to being restricted to one city, one culture, or perhaps even one planet. Not that I'm going to go all out on defending BSG, but your criticism seems more than a little...incoherent. But I suppose I'm assuming that you mean the people who've all left their planets, maybe you meant somebody else.

I think that good SF is just good fiction that can't be told without introducing a speculative element. Stories which involved aliens or robots, for example, or some new technology which radically alters our preconceptions about how life works. ER would have been SF (whether or not it's any good I'll leave to your own imagination) to an earlier generation, many episodes are SF even to us because they rely on technology or science that doesn't exist. The same is true of a lot of our modern crime/police drama, the modern technology and certain resulting cultural development isn't just part of the background, it's essential to the story and you couldn't take it out without throwing in some kind of magic to make up the difference. Like every episode involving plastic surjury

We call it "fantasy" if the speculative element is something that we just don't buy as being possible in the real world. But the lines can be blurred. "Urban Fantasy" often shows magic use that you could almost believe is really going on all around us, hidden from the eyes of society and science for various reasons, nefarious or not. You don't have to actually believe it anymore than you must really believe that FTL travel is possible to enjoy fiction about interstellar travel. But the more "plausible" the speculative element, the closer it seems to SF.

In other words, I think that SF is good SF because it is good fiction. Now, I happen to think that humans aren't the most interesting kind of person to put in a story. I like stories about them about as much as I like stories about rodents. That said, I've read some damn fine books about the adventures of rodents. And not a few about the adventures of humans.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.