Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Blogging

Author Topic: Blogging
Netstorm2k
Member # 2279

- posted      Profile for Netstorm2k   Email Netstorm2k         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's an interesting link to an article by Andrew Sullivan, a columnist turned blogger.

article
If you don't know much about blogging, like I don't (but intend to change) you ought to read this article.
Perhaps I'm the slow one, since this isn't entirely new, but I don't spend hours one the Internet either. But I'm curious about what you guys and gals think. Anyone here have a blog? Are you getting paid?

[This message has been edited by Netstorm2k (edited May 05, 2006).]

Posts: 331 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Here are a couple of previous threads on this. One inspired me to take up bloggin' (youwillknow.blogspot.com). Minister, Eric Stone, Mike Munsil, and those evil robot monkeys are also bloggin'.
http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/forum/Forum1/HTML/001377.html
http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/forum/Forum1/HTML/000686.html

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jammrock
Member # 3293

- posted      Profile for Jammrock   Email Jammrock         Edit/Delete Post 
bah humbug!

I have my own web site, forums, domain name, and several other fun custom online toys ... but I don't blog. I have a blog mind you (http://www.jammrock.com/blog/), but I still don't blog. This is like MySpace for me. Both are uber popular among people who are slightly older and slightly younger than me, but people who are very near my age just don't care (at least the people I know).

I don't know why this is, it just is. If I'm going to spend my time writing a review or an opinion, I will to call it an article and put it on my website (or someone else's). If I want to write a serialized story, my website can accommodate my needs. Pictures ... yeah, I can do that. Chatting with friends and comments on my writing ... got that too. Blogging just doesn't do it for me. Maybe someday it will, but just not now.

Jammrock

Posts: 136 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Meanwhile, I'm working on developing a convincing Spanish accent and faking up a Hispanic ancestry so that Antonio Banderas can play me in the movie version of my astonishingly dull life.

But maybe not. Because my wife says that if that happens, she's playing herself.

I just wanted to post that somewhere, for the sake of being redundant, and this thread seemed the most appropriate of those currently active. We have a couple of different "Quotes" threads, but they're all inactive right now.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Minister
Member # 2213

- posted      Profile for Minister   Email Minister         Edit/Delete Post 
And that quote was so good it just had to go somewhere. I loved it too.
Posts: 491 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

The great thing is that it works for anyone. Um, who has a wife...or at least a girlfriend.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Survivor, did you hide the name of the author of that quote somewhere?

I happen to know that it is Orson Scott Card, but others may not have read his lastest review and might not recognize it.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

It was hidden, now that you mention it. I hadn't thought it was, but I can see that it would take some effort to figure out the source of the quote from my post.

I suppose I have a ways to go yet. At least I didn't attribute it to Winston Churchill

autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm refreshing this old post, rather than starting a new one. I've finally started a blog. Yes, I know, took me long enough. Anyway, I'm having fun, and if anyone wants to drop by you can find me at http://rachelanndryden.blogspot.com/

I've been very much enjoying reading other blogs over the past few months. I'm trying to work my way through my author friends blogs now, and I'm addicted to the blogs of several agents and editors, thanks to people on Hatrack posting links. I love the medium and while I understand it won't work for everyone, I think blogging is a good fit for me personally.

I'm fully aware that it will take a long time for my blog to have built up to the point where I get any visitors, but that's okay too. Even if no one comes by at first, I'll enjoy the experience of an online journal.

Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Added you to our blogroll, autumnmuse. I dropeed the personal blog in favor of one for Liberty Hall: http://www.libertyhallwriters.org/wordpress/
Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
Antonio Banderas would be so awesome as Churchill!

"I may be drunk, Madam, but tomorrow I will be sober, whereas you will still be ugly."

"Now that we have established what you are, I am merely negotiating price."

P.S. I've contemplated a blog on actual content before, more like a column than a livejournal. Maybe after this Nanowrimo I would consider it again.

[This message has been edited by franc li (edited October 24, 2006).]

Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a blog:

http://www.christineamsden.com

but it's just for fun and for putting some interesting content on my website that might draw people to it and convince them to buy my book.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

FL, I'm absolutely certain that Oscar Wilde would have loved the thought of being played by Antonio Banderas, but I'm not so sure that I would say Antonio Banderas would be awesome as Wilde.
Lynda
Member # 3574

- posted      Profile for Lynda   Email Lynda         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a blog www.abraxan.blogspot.com I also have a website that's under construction for the writing stuff (www.lyndasappington.com - there's no real content there yet). I'll probably start a blog with a different name (or change the name of the existing one from "abraxan") once the website is ready to go, so they'll "go together" sensibly.

I've met some interesting people blogging, although I don't spend a lot of time on it. I figure it's a journal of sorts, showing my journey through the world of writing and publishing novels. I know some folks get paid a good bit for blogs, but mine is just going to be about whatever interests me.

If you'd like to share blog links, I'd be happy to do that with you guys.

Lynda

Posts: 415 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
Me too. Mostly use it for writing related news.

http://ricknovy.blogspot.com/

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, thanks for adding me to the blogroll. Mighty big of you.
Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.