Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Latin translation verification.

Author Topic: Latin translation verification.
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
I need a latin translation verified. I'm suspicious of online translators, but it's all I've got.

The phrase I need an accurate translation for is: "Be the flame, not the moth."

This is what I got back from a free internet translation site:
"Exsisto flamma, non matris."

If you can point me toward a good reference, I'd appreciate it, or if someone knows Latin and can verify/correct, I'd be ecstatic. Thanks.

It's tough researching languages. It's one thing to translate vocabulary; it's quite another to translate nuance of meaning.

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
The verb you are getting out of the translater is not the imperitive "Be"

The problem here is you are translating
Exist as the flame not the moth.

when you should be translating

Act as the flame, not the moth.

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 1738

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Esse flamma, non [moth] would be my best guess. But esse is probably the infinitive, not the imperative.

I would read existo as "I exist". I don't know if I would be right.

Hey, I found a pretty decent grammar site by searching for "Latin Conjugations". It says "es" is the singular present of "to be" and Este is the plural.

[This message has been edited by pooka (edited June 19, 2006).]

Posts: 334 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

Hmm... I ran both of those phrases through the translator to see what the difference is between them. Interesting. Although I have to say that "Exist as the flame, not the moth" may be closer to the nuance I need.

Retranslated:
Exist as the flame, not the moth
Futurus ut flamma , non matris

Act as the flame, not the moth
Factum ut flamma , non matris

Anyone able to tell me if there is a nuance that makes the phrase "Exsisto flamma, non matris" flat-out wrong?

The character is making a statement of "being." He's tired of bending toward the will of others, and is saying this from a decision to step into his own personal power. Hope the circumstance helps identify the nuance I should use.

Crap. I took Spanish in high school, not Latin.

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

You are still thinking in English, when, Latin verbs conjugate in a manner similar to Spansish.

Your Exsisto is the first person present form of "Exist"

He is saying, "I am flame, not the moth"
which might be what you are looking for.
The lack of articles in Latin give room for slack.

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 1738

I don't know why the translator gave you participles- it probably couldn't tell you wanted an imperative. That is why computers will probably never replace human translators. An imperative is a command that implies second person. When you say "Eat my cookies!" it means [you must] eat my cookies.

In Latin, an imperative generally ends with -e. These forms that end in -us are participles. Something ending in -o is a first person active verb. Of course, you could just pull a J.K. Rowling and do what sounds interesting without regard for sound grammar.

Posts: 334 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

So

Exsiste Flamma, non matris!

pooka
Member # 1738

Does it really have two Ss? I really prefere Es or Este, though if you go with Este, your nouns have to be plural.
pantros
Member # 3237

I should say that due to the tradition of liberally translating Latin, there are about a thousand different ways to say "Be"
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm afraid I can't help with the Latin part, but I find it interesting that as of 24 hours ago I can't recall ever hearing that particular phrase (though it's possible I have and don't remember) and I just heard it twice; once on this thread and once in the movie "Casanova" which my husband finally talked me into watching with him. Interesting coincidence.
Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

So, when I ran the phrase "Exsiste Flamma, non matris" through the free translator at http://www.translation-guide.com

the English came out as: "To emerge Flame, not mother." From what I can tell, the word for "moth" is the same as the word for "mother." Which doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Now I can see WHY I never wanted to take Latin... too confusing!

[This message has been edited by Elan (edited June 19, 2006).]

pantros
Member # 3237

Matris is indeed "Mother" and NOT "Moth"

Maybe use the word "musca" meaning fly or
"Papilio" meaning butterfly

pooka
Member # 1738

I don't agree that there are many ways to translate "to be". Verbs of being are curious things. They don't even have them in some languages. P.S. I wasn't sure about your word for moth, which is why I didn't actually include it in my initial attempt.

[This message has been edited by pooka (edited June 19, 2006).]

Verdant
Member # 3498

- posted      Profile for Verdant   Email Verdant         Edit/Delete Post 
The phrase "be the flame" will use the infinitive form of the verb 'to be'. In such a case, this is not a command, necessitating the imparative form, but rather a statement that in latin-based languages (Italian, Spanish, Portugese, French, Romanian) requires the infintive. This will translate "be a/the flame" or "being a/the flame" Additionally, there are two different verbs that can mean 'to be'. I don't have my Latin Dictionary handy but this is going to be the same verb that conjugates 'ergo, esi, ese...

Good writing

Posts: 52 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 1738

I thought ergo meant "therefore".

To Be in the Active indicative:

Sum ----- Sumus
Es ----- Estis
Est -----Sunt

The infinitive would be (and I haven't heard of that rule, but my four years of latin ended 19 years back) esse.

Well, that chart didn't come out in a very clear way. It correlates to:
I ----- we
you ----- you pl.
he/she/it-- they

[This message has been edited by pooka (edited June 20, 2006).]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.