Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Extremely Touchy Sensitive Historical Novel Issue (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Extremely Touchy Sensitive Historical Novel Issue
CoriSCapnSkip
Member # 3228

- posted      Profile for CoriSCapnSkip           Edit/Delete Post 
This is so stupid, but here goes. Perhaps I've been looking at too much popular fiction and people can give me good examples of authors pulling this off successfully, perhaps even within the last 50 years where it became sort of mandatory.

Is it EVER acceptable to write a novel in which a main male character is a virgin at the time of marriage? I am talking mid-19th Century (1860s-1870s) American midwest here, where presumably some guys were, but is that only boring guys who no one would ever want to write, or read, a book about?

How does an author even pull off such a thing without the MC coming off as a wimp, a prude, or something else bad the reader can't respect? It doesn't bother me so much with the female characters but with the guys it's driving me crazy. Much obliged for any input here, thanks.

Posts: 283 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dee_boncci
Member # 2733

- posted      Profile for dee_boncci   Email dee_boncci         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure, why not?

I don't think there are any aspects about a character's background that are mandatory. Usually a detail like that is completely unimportant. If it is important, or at least relevant, in your story, you could probably just state it.

As a reader I can't imagine classifying a character as one not worth reading about simply because he was a virgin until he got married.

If you are writing some sort of romance, there might be some conventions I'm unaware of. For any other genre, I'd wager it makes no difference one way for the other.

Posts: 612 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
Does it need to be even mentioned? Or is it integeral to the plot? Sometimes, it better for characters to have a little privacy instead of TMI.

Anyways, what's more of a "wimp"? A person exercises self-control
or one who gives into his urges? And why is it an either/or situation, either a person has lax morals or he is a prude?

[This message has been edited by ChrisOwens (edited August 26, 2006).]

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cll
Member # 3673

- posted      Profile for cll   Email cll         Edit/Delete Post 
I have absolutely no problem with a guy being a virgin until marriage. I think in the 1800's you'd run into more of them then you'd realize. I'm writing a story set in the 1940's and my main male character is a virgin- a combo of self control, morals (meaning he's not going to a prositute), the location where he lives and so on. This does not mean that he hasn't helped himself along from time to time. Oh... and he's not a weak character. He's just not a bang on his chest, swing through the vines, macho type.

cll

Posts: 92 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
"Lois and Clark -- The New Adventures of Superman" circa 1995. When Lois and Clark got engagd, Clark says he was waiting for the right woman. Lois was not a virgin.

I can't think of anyone who thinks Superman is a wimp.

Of course, in the newset series -- Smallville, teenage Clark has sex with Lana, but that was stupid and never should have happened.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have a lot of empirical data on the issue within the era in question...seems like knowing when a character (or real person) lost their virginity became more of a twentieth-century concern.

I don't see why not. I'm assuming his virginity (or lack of it) is in some way important to the plot. But I don't see why it couldn't be worked in.

With Superman / Clark Kent pairing off with Lois Lane (or Lana Lang), they're two different species...so who'd be worried about virginity when there's bestiality on the table?

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojoyful
Member # 2997

- posted      Profile for sojoyful   Email sojoyful         Edit/Delete Post 
Our society has decided that it is unacceptable to be an adult and still be a virgin. (Think "The 40 Year Old Virgin".) The fact is, that's just plain stupid.

Just like with any other facet of a character, there has to be a reason for this one. Why is he a virgin? 1: Does he want to have sex but can't? Why? Does he lack certain social skills? Is he unattractive to the opposite sex for some reason? Has he had an injury that prevents it? Is he watched all the time by people who wish to prevent it? Does he get together with a woman and at the last moment, um, loses his "confidence", so to speak? 2: Has he remained a virgin by choice? Why? Religious principles? Family influence? Does he have some power that will be lost if he experiences sexual gratification? Does he fear offspring from accidental pregnancy?

Bottom line: If we understand the reasons for this detail and how it has affected the character, he'll be readable. If it's a detail with no explanation for it (assuming it's important to the plot) then we won't be convinced.

Posts: 470 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sholar
Member # 3280

- posted      Profile for sholar   Email sholar         Edit/Delete Post 
OSC has a virgin in one of his books and Valentine and Ender discuss it as a positive because he is showing repect for societies rules when tempted. Perrin in Jordan's series was a virgin. If you want to claim it, Frodo and Sam were. Actually, if you go with the author's who don't tell you explicitly, the list is probably pretty long. So, think about why you would tell the reader about his past sexual exploits (or lack thereof). Then frame the issue appropriately.
Posts: 303 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojoyful
Member # 2997

I happened across this today for a totally unrelated reason, but I thought it was interesting for this discussion. In Wikipedia's entry for the upcoming film "The Wicker Man" it includes this under 'Remake Differences':
quote:
Cage's character is not a virgin like the protagonist from the original film, as it was thought that the idea of a grown-up virgin was too farfetched.

Ugh. I'm not even going to comment on this, because it would be a tirade.

[This message has been edited by sojoyful (edited August 26, 2006).]

Posts: 470 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MollieBryn
Member # 3728

- posted      Profile for MollieBryn   Email MollieBryn         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, for the those of us out here who are still virgins, I wouldn't mind reading a book with a virginal character. I think modern books tend to play up the sex thing too much (substituting sex for the story)and it'd be refreshing to read something that had a plot first and sexuality second. Besides, considering the setting of your book, it would be logical for a male or a female virgin to exist.

Pluse aren't there studies that show insecure guys lie about their sexual status? Chances are, there are/were a lot more virgins out there who are just lying about having done "IT." I wouldn't consider your story a stretch in the least.

Posts: 46 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoriSCapnSkip
Member # 3228

Wow, thanks for the answers. It's important for me as an author to know the character's whole background and reasons for decisions, especially major ones. I do feel it's important to the plot as he struggles with the issue.
Posts: 283 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MommaMuse
Member # 3622

- posted      Profile for MommaMuse   Email MommaMuse         Edit/Delete Post 
I know this is just repeating more of the above encouragement, but David Eddings' MC Belgarion was also a virgin until he got married. So, as a matter of fact, was my husband! Men whom are virgins are looked upon, in general, to be more trustworthy, stable, and reliable. Usually men that are not, are looked upon in an entirely different light. They are usually disrespectful, dangerous, or not nice men. Note the qualifier *usually.* It's sort of subtle, but as you read, you'll kind of notice it. Neither stereotype is the norm, but it is common.

There is also nothing to say that a virgin male hasn't been TEMPTED before, especially in the teen years. I think that is something EVERYONE can relate to on some level.

Posts: 105 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MommaMuse
Member # 3622

- posted      Profile for MommaMuse   Email MommaMuse         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and don't feel stupid. It's a very good question, and one that will help in my own writing as well!

Kudos!

Posts: 105 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
There are lots of reasons a man might be a virgin past puberty. Or, chaste.

Religion. Morals. High standards, as in waiting for the right woman. Peer pressure the other way -- to be chaste. There are still places like that. There are even real-life nerds who don't even think about sex unless the right moment confronts them and that right moment doesn't happen till quite late. I know a few of those nerds, myself. Like how can sex compare with working with NASA to get to the moon/Mars/up there SOMEWHERE , or with math or whatever their life's interest is--?

[This message has been edited by arriki (edited August 26, 2006).]

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Our current almost-nobody-chaste is historically unusual, AFAIK. There are plenty of reasons a man might not have sex before marriage. Religion, love, naivete, youth (and the sex drive seems to kick in later in some than others), and even economic circumstances. I have the impression this last was common in the middle ages.

If you are in a society (or subgroup) in which chastity is considered normal, the chaste aren't unusually prudish, wimpy, or unusually anything -- *they're* the norm. It will be the unchaste that are unusual. Don't worry about it.

And in our current society, there's the novel Getting It Right, about a 30-year-old man trying to break into the world of romance. Yes, he was wimpy, but that's a valid character trait too.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
It helps if you are or have been a virgin waiting for marriage. Me, I'm probably just waiting for a female of approximately the right species.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoriSCapnSkip
Member # 3228

Yes, I've had high ideals and that could be a big part of it for my MC, too. I think a lot of it is just wanting to stay healthy, but I don't want him to come across as hypochondriac or unwilling to take risks--quite the opposite! (I also don't want to overdo examples of seeing diseased individuals--"a word to the wise," ya know.)

As for examples in other fiction, keep 'em coming! I can't possibly read even all reviews, let alone full works, of everything out there, and really appreciate being informed! Thanks so much for the encouraging discussion!

arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
In the beginning -- back when I started reading sf, as a kid -- sf heroes were notorious for being chaste...uninterested in sex. It's nothing something inherent in the field whose focus is not as much the human condition as the mechanics of the universe. Sex has leaked over into the genre. Maybe from the influx of women sf readers...publishers trying to woo them.
Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

Exactly...the man has to be "waiting." It even helps if he has many not-so-subtle offers that he refuses. A man who can't get any IS going to be considered a wimp and would never ever work.

[This message has been edited by Christine (edited August 27, 2006).]

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 1738

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Some people get married in order to have sex. I don't know if my meaning is clear from that, something along the lines of "why would a guy who wasn't a virgin bother to get married." It's the reverse of "why would they buy the cow if they can get the milk for free."

But, yeah, I can suggest you read Enchantment and also Anna Karenina (with a focus on the story of Levin telling his fiancee about his past.)

Posts: 334 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojoyful
Member # 2997

Tess of the d’Urbervilles comes to mind also, though I don't remember exactly how much we get about the men-folk...
Christine
Member # 1646

I just wanted to add as a footnote to what I said above that even a man who is not a virgin will not be sympathetic if he sinks too low to get sex. The truth is that if you lower your standards enough, you can get sex. At the worst, you can pay for it, but even short of that you can find a very undesirable or slutty woman. That would probably turn me off more than the poor pathetic man who just can't get any because really, he's probably just refusing to lower his standards and there is at least a small amount of respect there...but not in a hero, maybe a sidekick.
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
So, is your story specifically ABOUT sex? If not, why the concern?

I'm writing a story, the MC - a male - is a virgin. It's part of his background, but only warrants a couple of brief mentions (until his future wife becomes a romantic interest). But the story isn't ABOUT his virginity. It's about their journey. Putting too much focus on sex would undermine the other tale I'm trying to tell.

Just tell your story. Let his status as a virgin/non-virgin remain at an appropriate level that depends on how much of the story is focused on sex. If, like the movie "The 40 Year Old Virgin" that's ALL it's about, it's worth worrying about. If it's just a blip in the story, mention it and move on.

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoriSCapnSkip
Member # 3228

Focusing on ANYTHING that's a major dilemma, to the point of obsession--that's what I do--no matter if it ends up being a relatively small part of the book. Sex is just such a rite of passage, or seen as one, I don't think you can fully understand a character without understanding their attitudes on this subject. Men are very different than women this way (to the point of incomprehensible sometimes) and attitudes in the time of which I am writing were very different. I think you even see different attitudes in pre and post Baby Boom generations.

"Offers" back then would usually come from women who were soliciting to be paid for it (even if they did find the guy attractive, which will be clear) or maybe the occasional lonely widow woman or something. My particular MC, I just don't see as being the romantic seducer type--that is, out to "get some" from a woman he had no intention of marrying. If he got an offer that wasn't lowering his standards TOO much, coupled with other factors, is the scenario I'm considering--if it's MANDATORY that he not be a virgin at marriage. Even then, I'm very suspicious of "you can't do that, it's not done" in fiction--after all, the essence of being original is doing something different.

You may as well know the main thing I'm trying to get away from is characters, for some reason particularly in historicals, who are both obsessed with sex and very casual towards it--not thinking much of consequences, standards, or morals, either before or after. There must have been some of this in history as there's record of it, but there's way too much in fiction, it seems. In that way it might almost be better if he did do it--he is the type to take action, and, if totally miserable about being a virgin, probably would at some point--then feel almost equally bad about having done it. (I know, I know, some people can't be happy.)

Survivor
Member # 213

Huh?

Okay, "Offers" back when? In the temporal milieu of your story?

MC not a seducer type...I get that, but why even mention it? I mean...he's waiting for marriage, right?

quote:
If he got an offer that wasn't lowering his standards TOO much, coupled with other factors, is the scenario I'm considering--if it's MANDATORY that he not be a virgin at marriage.

What? I thought his standard was marriage. So are we talking...elopement? That is, running off to a country vicar because the father would never have given permission? And why would it be MANDATORY that he not be a virgin? That just sounds crazed.

I think that it's very common, when somebody is really obsessed with just one thing, to start ignoring even things that seem closely related. A person obsessed with sex is likely to start ignoring things like social mores and disease and pregnancy and so forth. That's what we mean when we say someone is "obsessed" with something. It means that one thing is crowding out all other considerations.

Or do you simply mean that you want to do at least some characters who are not obsessed with sex? Because I think that having at least a few non-obsessed characters is normal. I'm afraid I'll be a little skeptical if none of your characters is obsessed with sex, it's an even more common obsession than money or social status, after all. But if there aren't too many characters and none of them seem like the type, I'll buy it.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

quote:
"Offers" back then would usually come from women who were soliciting to be paid for it (even if they did find the guy attractive, which will be clear) or maybe the occasional lonely widow woman or something.

Errr.....WHAT? Are we talking about a time in the history of MANKIND because I don't believe this has ever been true!

CoriSCapnSkip
Member # 3228

Yes, a time in the history of mankind. Midwestern America in the Victorian era. Maybe it got a little more Puritanical back in Colonial times or something and I'm not even sure about that. It's a time and place of repression hard for modern sensibilities to imagine.

Yes, the MC has two brothers and a cousin obsessed with sex, so maybe in a way he becomes obsessed with not being obsessed, but then wonders, wait a minute here, I'm not wimping out, am I? Because he's obsessed with not wimping out. *Very* competitive. Like, if your cousin jumped off a bridge, would you do it, too? He'd sure think about it.

Now, I'll explain the REAL dilemma I've set up just to make things difficult for myself. This MC is cool and smooth to the point that others would even admire and wish to emulate him. (I have NEVER been like this, neither are most of the people I know well, that's why it's so difficult.) The reason I keep using the word "mandatory" is it would be CW (conventional wisdom) in our day and age, time and place (probably even 50 years ago let alone now!) that such a person would almost certainly be sexually experienced at a relatively young age because they would have no problem attracting the opposite sex and getting really good offers. (As opposed to nerdy, wimpy "bottom feeders.") But that WASN'T necessarily CW for his time and place! In polite society, QUITE the opposite! So I wonder how much time he would waste feeling some sort of reverse guilt (gee, I'm not experienced enough, I must be a wimp) or explaining himself (truthfully or otherwise) to other guys who would make assumptions and might want to ask him questions.

I guess what I'm asking is what does he say to his friends? One scene you see quite a lot in books (and in some people's descriptions of real life situations) is where a group of friends all decide to go to a brothel or to some woman of easy virtue or whatnot. Once in awhile a guy doesn't want to go through with it--Holden Caulfield in "The Catcher in the Rye" is one of the best examples--except that he was alone and didn't have friends to impress. I guess what a character would do in such a circumstance would depend on his nature and the nature of his friends, and I'm wondering whether to include any such scenario.

pooka
Member # 1738

quote:
Midwestern America in the Victorian era. Maybe it got a little more Puritanical back in Colonial times or something and I'm not even sure about that. It's a time and place of repression hard for modern sensibilities to imagine.

No, there are always places for the sex obsessed to get away to. Even the puritans had neighboring colonies where you could escape to get some, or native tribes to rape if one were that obsessed. The problem has never been access to extra/pre-marital sex. It has always been the desire to be perceived as normal despite obsession.

I liked Chuck Norris jokes, but I was always astonished at the ones that would seem to work better with "Bill Clinton once..." The point of the jokes seemed to be making an exagerration of a paragon of masculinity. To me, lack of control over sexual impulses is not the paragon of masculinity. To have sexual impulses that require inner strength to control is masculine, but acting on them is not. Of course, I am a female so maybe I'm foolish about such things.

Posts: 334 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojoyful
Member # 2997

quote:
To have sexual impulses that require inner strength to control is masculine

I would ammend that to read "is traditionally considered masculine." It is a very outdated idea that only men have such strong sexual impulses. Plenty of women have them too, and they have to work just as hard at self-control and discipline.

[This message has been edited by sojoyful (edited August 28, 2006).]

Survivor
Member # 213

Okay, some basic questions.

What exactly is your setting?

Is this guy a "gentleman" in any sense of the word?

Why is it "MANDATORY" that he not be a virgin?

And on to the stuff that doesn't get separate paragraphs for each sentance. Like, if this guy is so cool, why the hell would he compete with his loser cousins? Cool guys don't waste time trying to be "better" than total jerks. You might not have ever been "cool", but surely you've observed genuinely cool guys (or girls, at least). The really cool people don't care what the climbers and wannabe's think, that's what defines cool. And cool people in any era are used to turning down offers as a matter of course. It's an essential part of being cool.

To his friends, the simple truth is fine. They admire him for it, and if they weren't also the type to regard chaste behavior as an admirable adherence to an ideal (whether or not they have the same ideals), then they wouldn't be his friends. Cool guys, who can easily attract more potential friends, don't compromise their own values to keep "friends" who don't qualify. That's why we call it "cool" rather than "warmth". If you don't know a lot about cool guys, try to think of this guy as if he were one of those "too good for anyone" girls. Cool guys and girls have a lot in common, one reason they tend to click with each other rather than with everyone else

sojoyful
Member # 2997

Survivor: The cool guy you described brought to my mind Zaphod Beeblebrox from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, specifically the whole sequence with him in the Total Perspective Vortex.

(And no, I'm not talking about the recent movie. I'm not even really talking about the books. I'm talking about the original radio program. The voice actor is *fabulous* at portraying that character. I'm sure you can find it on the internet somewhere...)

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
On the use and non-use of virginity in fiction...there's the story of the Hollywood producer.

One day, he asked one of his top writers to help get his movie out of a plot jam.

Producer: "I've got this boy and girl, see, and I need a good reason to keep them out of the sack."

Writer: "Well, suppose they both devoutly believe that a man and a woman should wait until they're married before they have sex with each other, and are willing to wait until then."

Producer: (after a lenghty pause in thought) "Get out of here with your radical ideas! Nobody'd ever believe that!"

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoriSCapnSkip
Member # 3228

Too true...guess I was going too much by what I thought readers would believe and publishers would put up with and less by what I believe.

Setting: midwest before Civil War and then various areas during the war. The story could be a lot about the nature of temptation, I guess the big question being: why do some people give in to it, KNOWING the risks? (Otherwise quite intelligent people?) It's been well-documented that they do. Actually, a lot of people concerned in the health field would love to know the answer to this. I guess there are stupid people in almost any area--"famous last words" often consist of "hey, watch this"--but sometimes otherwise rational people can be really reckless regarding sex. I guess that's why I wonder whether some essential quality is either "missing" from my MC, or has to be elaborately "explained"--he acted such-a-way because...? And I don't think he's either an atheist OR devoutly religious.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Well, fiction often neglects the "man plus woman plus time equals babies" end of sex, not to mention the "social disease" angles. And you hardly ever see any women menstruating. (I had to look up the spelling of that last one---see how much it's neglected?)
sojoyful
Member # 2997

It's spelled just like it sounds! (And I think us women hate it enough already that we don't want to read about it too...)

CoriSCapnSkip, I will answer your latest question with one word: hormones. Some people can resist them, some people can't. Intelligence is not a good predictor of a person's ability to resist. I mean, seriously. Let's ask Bill Clinton if he thinks it's a good idea for the President of the United States to have an affair with an intern in his office.

pooka
Member # 1738

Women can have very strong hormonal impulses, but it's generally only during ovulation that such impulses would compel one to anti-social behavior such as being impregnated by an alpha male. Then before menstruation I believe there are other anti-social impulses that are more direct, like wanting to be physically separated from the group.
sojoyful
Member # 2997

I have no scientific proof to back it up with, but as a woman with friends who are women, I disagree. Women don't just feel strong sexual impulses at certain times of the month. Perhaps in addition to hormones, I should add pheremones?

Also, being impregnated is not a behavior. It's a side effect of a behavior. (But I know what you were trying to say.)

Survivor
Member # 213

People who think of "unsafe sex" as a matter of "risk" will always give in to the temptation that covert sex represents. It doesn't matter whether the risk is being publicly embarrassed, being impeached, getting pregnant, a slow death, or even violent death. It can be a combination of any or all of the above, and any rational actor will eventually take the risk.

Because covert sex is a huge biological temptation. I'd remove pregnancy from the list, because the entire point of covert sex is a pregnancy where you hide the identity of the father. But since the biological impulse towards covert sex is largely subconscious, while the fear of pregnancy is largely conscious, I'll grant that they can both be motivating a person's behavior at the same time. Anyway, the conscious fear of starting a pregnancy will always lose to the subconscious desire to start a covert pregnancy. The same is true of conscious desires for social approval or avoiding impeachment. The subconscious versions of both those desires are fully in favor of covert sex.

Only the fear of death is a serious competitor with the desire for covert sex, and even that will lose out eventually. Because all you stant to lose (biologically) as a result of early death is additional chances for sex. If your fear of death is causing you to miss significant chances for sex, then your biology will step in and rearrange those relative desires.

That's why control of sexual impulses has always been the province of morality. People who choose to gamble on covert sex aren't being dumb, they're being dishonest and unchaste. Men who pass up opportunities for covert sex have to be motivated by something more than their personal welfare. Because when you look at it rationally, covert sex is definitely the highest benefit you can enjoy in this life.

Back in the old days, most people believed that sex outside of marriage was immoral, just like stealing or murdering or whatnot. All those activities did occur, of course, but it was a tiny minority of the population who engaged in them. It wasn't because the law was so strictly enforced, or because people lacked the imagination to see how doing these things could be of personal benefit, but because most people wanted to do what they considered to be right rather than what was profitable. A notorius robber might take pride in his offenses against chastity, just as he'd boast of how many men he'd killed. Though, to be fair, it was considered low to sully a woman's good name after she'd done good to you. A wicked man might take pride in his conquests, but only a total jerk would boast about them.

As I understand it, your idea that it would be "MANDATORY" for this guy to lose his virginity is based entirely on the demands of Hollywood as a market. Two points come to mind. First, it isn't yet mandatory even in Hollywood that guys have to lose their virginity before marriage in order to be heroes, particularly in period pieces. True, losing their virginity is commonly taken as a heroic attribute, but it's on par with steely blue eyes. Second, you're probably not selling this book to Hollywood. Thinking of how you'll get your book turned into a movie before you've actually got it written is utterly pointless. Even the vast majority of bestsellers don't become big-udget movies.

In the setting you describe, it would be common for men to remain chaste till marriage. Exactly how common and how chaste they would remain is a subject for debate, because almost nobody would admit they'd been unchaste. The free-wheeling life of the cowboy, as well as the coining of the term "hooker", was still in the future. Catching a man in the act of adultery was considered just cause for killing him on the spot, it was about equal to murdering a baby. Not that nobody murdered babies...it was about as common as adultery. Prostitution was illegal most places, though of course it occured as well. More importantly, nobody wanted to become a prostitute or see anyone they loved take up that life. It was considered the worst degradation possible.

Is your hero the kind who would get into a baby-killing competition with his cousins? I'm hoping the answer is no, but it's up to you. Is he, perhaps, the kind of guy who would never kill a baby, no matter what? Might he have the sort of character that would lead other people to admire him? Maybe he's the kind of guy that would want to be in love with a woman rather than just screwing her?

As far as I can tell, you are the only person who has any problem with the idea that it would be possible for male chastity to be anything other than a horribly embarrassing character defect. None of us can fix that for you. So don't bother with what we think. Write this the way you want to write it.

Christine
Member # 1646

Some women I know feel strong sexual urges during their menstrual cycle.
sojoyful
Member # 2997

Read Madame Bovary. Like Tess it takes the woman's perspective, but still, it's the right period.
CoriSCapnSkip
Member # 3228

He would not kill a baby no matter what, but if he was deliberately being different than others, he might well either hate them for doing what they do or hate himself for being unable to do as they do. He would never be the sort to whine, but he would be the sort to brood--not just make a decision and say, it's decided, so there, but should I have decided that? Did I decide for the right reasons? Can I abide by this decision? Should I?

[This message has been edited by CoriSCapnSkip (edited August 30, 2006).]

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I can't say I've ever known any women who were (or who claimed) to suffer from PMS, or even had any noticeable problems at certain times of the month. So maybe you'll pardon me if I don't necessarily believe in it as a believable excuse for aberrant behavior.

I'd say the period first mentioned (1860s to 1870s), the term "hooker" was in use. The claim that it derived from calling camp followers of the Union Armies "Hooker's Division," after General Joe Hooker, seems believable, but the term may have been in use before he became prominent. (In my old home town, we had a "Hooker Avenue," which might have been named after the general (I never knew one way or another). Sometime after I left, reactionary forces tried to rename it, but failed---but then they also failed to rename all the names that had the archaic Dutch "-kill" (stream) in them as well.)

pooka
Member # 1738

Sure women have sexual urges all the time. I'm not personally one who has more while menstruating. I'm speaking of hormonal urges that would make one do something anti-social, on a par with what people seem to believe men suffer "25/7" according to a recent Cosmo cover.

As for psycho-emotional motives to sex, that varies by individual certainly. Society traditionally rewards women for being risk-averse more than men, so that may be the whole source of the difference. It's kind of too bad, since society encourages men to be risk-seeking, but the actual rewards for risk-seeking are not that widespread so it seems to me that a majority of men are risk-seeing to little avail. But because we still have parents of both sexes, a mixture of risk-relating persists in both sexes. Boy, the possibilities that brings up for my cloning/monkeymen world...

[This message has been edited by pooka (edited August 30, 2006).]

sojoyful
Member # 2997

Robert, the only abberant behavior PMS would cause from me would be calling in sick so I could lay on the couch in my pjs playing the Sims, while moaning in discomfort and eating an entire bag of Reeses peanut butter cups.
Christine
Member # 1646

I do get a little moddy when I PMS -- but we're not talking bipolar disorder here. It's all within the realms of sanity. Mostly I just tend to say things I regret later. I'm more likely to yell and cuss or just cry.

Mostly, though, it's all about the chocolate -- ice cream for me. Maybe with a warm gooey brownie and some hot fudge.

Sara Genge
Member # 3468

- posted      Profile for Sara Genge   Email Sara Genge         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure
Easy way to do it: give him solid religious beliefs.
Hey, I know real life people who are going to marry virgin... and they're 30, so I don't have any problem believing it from a 19th century, 23 year old guy.
More complex way: he can't lose virginity, and he doesn't want to pay for sex, or he just follows social convention, or he thinks his thing will fall off if he does it, or he really respects his future wife and thinks it's the way to go or...
There are trillions of really good reasons for almost anybody to do almost anything.

Posts: 507 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 1738

Being faithful to the person you will marry in the future is a good way of seeing it as an ethical and not religious directive. But if you're doing a period piece, people back then didn't distinguish between religious and ethical.
CoriSCapnSkip
Member # 3228

You are making sense, and religion does enter into it as well as common sense. Not necessarily "devotional" religion as much as "cause and effect" religion. (Hey, God offed some of your close relatives young--think He's gonna go easy on you?)
Survivor
Member # 213

Huh?

Anyway, I don't know if I made this clear before...back in the antebellum mid-west, men generally did not brag about having illicit sexual relationships. It was the sort of thing you didn't talk about with anyone unless you knew he visited the same women as you did, and knew he knew about you.

The whole "this guy knows other guys who are doing this" thing could only happen if he were doing it himself. The Civil War changed a lot of things, and this is one of them. After the war, you had a lot of guys that had seen a lot of things, and their migration into the west created a dramatically different culture.

This guy would know of some loose women and where the prostitutes could be found in his local city. But he wouldn't know any of his friends were involved unless he were going himself. He would know that someone had to be visiting these women, and he might even have a fair idea of which of his aquaintances (not his friends, not if he were an upstanding guy who would never kill a baby) were so depraved. But if he weren't among them, he simply wouldn't know.

Survivor
Member # 213

Okay, there is one other way he could know about these men, and that would be if he had a close personal relationship with a "fallen" woman. That would be very unlikely, and it would only tend to dramatically increase his resolve to never be such a man himself.
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.