Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Jack London

Author Topic: Jack London
J
Member # 2197

- posted      Profile for J   Email J         Edit/Delete Post 
I picked up a Jack London volume including White Fang and The Call of the Wild for cheap at Borders last week.

The premise is cheesy, the POV bounces to different depths randomly, and the narration is sporadically deeply intrusive. It's also some of the best writing I've ever read, period.

Posts: 683 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marva
Member # 3171

- posted      Profile for Marva   Email Marva         Edit/Delete Post 
Funny how it works that way sometimes.

I'm reading some old Asimov and boy is he an awful writer! Loved reading it, though. Same with an old Heinlein I just went through.

Now, I've moved on to the brothers Hoyle. Funny stuff. 2067 and the first female astronaut!?!?!? Well, a lot of it was cool (Fifth Planet).

Posts: 153 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank God for used bookstores!
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

- posted      Profile for Doc Brown   Email Doc Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
London wrote in a differnt time. Reader's tastes have changed a bit in a hundred years.

Yet The Sea Wolf remains one of the best books I have ever read. The characters, plot, dialogue, technical details, and wordsmithing can stand up to any other novel.

Posts: 976 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
It's funny, because Jack London could be considered the Asimov of his day.

London's writing is definitely better. He generally depersonalizes his characters on purpose, since he's using them the same way that Asimov uses gagetry. Long expositions about the settings and the nature of human (and animal) behavior are an essential part of his stories. His goal is usually to get readers to view humans (and thus themselves), not just as people, but as entities subject to natural law.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inkwell
Member # 1944

- posted      Profile for Inkwell   Email Inkwell         Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto on The Sea Wolf. It has been postulated that the character of Wolf Larsen was actually London's cynical (some would say antagonistic) depiction of Friedrich Nietzsche's 'Übermensch' ('superman' or 'overman,' depending on the translation) concept. Besides that, the sheer monstrosity of the character also generated its bizarre magnetism (for me, at least). Personally, I cared more about what happened to Larsen by the end of the novel than what 'Hump' was up to.

In my book, that's also the greatest epithet ever devised for a viewpoint character. 'Hump.' That's priceless.

Inkwell
-----------------
"The difference between a writer and someone who says they want to write is merely the width of a postage stamp."
-Anonymous

[This message has been edited by Inkwell (edited August 31, 2006).]

Posts: 366 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.