Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » How do I know which writing style is best - short or novel?

Author Topic: How do I know which writing style is best - short or novel?
I need a good user name
Member # 3812

- posted      Profile for I need a good user name   Email I need a good user name         Edit/Delete Post 
In the thread where I introduced myself, I have been informed that I need to discover which is more my style - short stories or novel-length. So I would like to know how to determine which is best for me.
Posts: 45 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
When I got my writing license, the options under Fiction - Length were Novel - Novella - Novelette- Short Story - Flash - All. I checked All, and that's been good enough for the border guards; they just glance at my license and wave me through. Maybe they changed the form since I applied, though.
Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
I need a good user name
Member # 3812

- posted      Profile for I need a good user name   Email I need a good user name         Edit/Delete Post 
Haha, good one
Posts: 45 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Story length should depend on the story you are telling, not on your style.

Some people get ideas that are focussed enough and short enough to be short stories.

Some people get more complicated ideas that require more words to tell them.

Some people get both, and they only find out when they've actually written the thing how long it needs to be.

Some people write what they think is a short story and find out (from their readers) that it's actually the first chapter in a novel (because the readers want "the rest of the story").

Write it and then decide.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leigh
Member # 2901

- posted      Profile for Leigh   Email Leigh         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been writing for just over 13 months now, and I still don't know my style as I have not completely finished a novel or short story yet. All I work on is my weak areas.
Posts: 384 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't figured out my style yet, as everything I write tends to be novel length. One of these days I'll crank out a short story. I know I can do it, I know I can...
Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Sit down and write something. When you reach the end, figure out how long it is---and that'll be your length, at least for that story.

I've been writing (without much luck) for thirty-one years---and, hell, I can't determine my style, or what length I prefer to write in. The last decade I mostly turned out short stories, here and there---then last month something grabbed me and I've shot past thirty-five thousand with the end nowhere in sight. What's my favorite length? Whatever I can persuade somebody to publish (and pay me for)...

(By the way, I commend you on your startlingly honest and original pseudonym.)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.