Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Sleep? What is that?

Author Topic: Sleep? What is that?
Crotalus
Member # 2345

- posted      Profile for Crotalus   Email Crotalus         Edit/Delete Post 
Really just seeing if my username and password still work, since I haven't posted in so long. Moving, new job, and life have been interfering with my forum posting for about six months now. Probably nobody even remembers me.

Hey, I'm Crotalus. I'm a chemist by day; husband, father, and writer/artist by night.

I need sleep, but I need to write more. Does everyone else have this problem?

Posts: 46 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMan1969
Member # 3552

- posted      Profile for TMan1969   Email TMan1969         Edit/Delete Post 
No matter what you try, eventually sleep will catch youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.....
Posts: 287 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alethea Kontis
Member # 3748

- posted      Profile for Alethea Kontis   Email Alethea Kontis         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, C.
You know, I majored in Chemistry.
Good job on the whole husband/father thing. Keep up the good work.

Sometimes I think I stare at this computer 24-hours a day. I live, breathe and eat here. During the day, I buy lots of books with someone else's money (why yes, it IS possibly the best job in the world). Every other minute lately I'm: writing an essay, or editing someone else's novel, or writing a compendium, or rewriting a short story for an anthology, or looking over what my fiance has written today and offering comments, or sending emails to my webmistress to update my site, or chatting with my friends online, or answering interview questions, or asking interview questions, or...wait...what was the question?

For the record, I do force myself to sleep in the other room. I have a very nice bed in the other room. And I try not to check email at 3am, but when you're corresponding with folks all over the world, you never know when one's going to pop in...

[This message has been edited by Alethea Kontis (edited October 20, 2006).]

Posts: 110 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Try working the post office night shift for years at a time...not only sleep deprivation but, thanks to constant pointless changes, I never get to even sit down while working anymore...and add to that crazy supervisors who threaten disciplinary action when I've done something exactly the way I was told to do it.

(I'm on vacation right now. I dread going back.)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
We all have our handicaps. If you want to write, you find a way to overcome them. Otherwise, you quit.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
So, Crotalus, where's the new venue? Closer to family?
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I managed to churn out fifty thousand words of meandering novel despite hellish conditions at work. (I'm taking a break from that right now---I want to gain some perspective, besides figuring out what to write next, besides wanting to make notes on what I've written so far.)

I don't expect conditions to improve when I go back...but I hope I can keep writing if things give way from under me.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crotalus
Member # 2345

Will,

By venue do you mean my home? Dude, you've been here! How are things going btw? I'm about 30 miles from where I grew up. Never thought I'd move over this way again, but life is an unpredictable thing.

I'm finally posting again b/c things have finally settled (about as much as they are going to with a 4 and 1 1/2 year old around). The nuclear power industry is a bit different from the pharmaceutical, but it's all book fodder is how I look at it.

Robert, I've never worked for the post office, but it sounds like the same logic the pharma co. used to apply. Old boss to me: "Why are we so far under budget?" Me: "Because you told me to find ways to cut costs." Boss: "Well start spending again or we won't get any money for next year's budget."

Right.

Oh, and Alethea, props to a fellow chemist--but it sounds like your job is way more fun than any of mine have ever been. Let's see, I've done the Navy thing, Taught Highschool, farm work, and now i'm on round two of the chemist gigs. And so far no one pays me to read or lets me buy books with their money. How do you swing that!

It is nine thirty at night. This is about the time I get to start writing for the evening. The boys are in bed and the house is halfway straight. I just broke 20k words on my second of two unpublished works of staggering genius. Maybe I'll get a good wordcount in, if I can just pry myself from this forum. Which brings me back around to the original topic of this thread: oh the things we sacrifice for our art!

Peace,
JSW (Crot)

[This message has been edited by Crotalus (edited October 21, 2006).]

[This message has been edited by Crotalus (edited October 21, 2006).]

Posts: 46 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alethea Kontis
Member # 3748

- posted      Profile for Alethea Kontis   Email Alethea Kontis         Edit/Delete Post 
9:57pm. Still editing. Page 270 of 432. I reeeeally want to get to 300 before bed. But that might be another hour. My right shoulder is almost frozen. I need Ben Gay, a hot tub, and a massage.

As luck would have it, I think I can manage the first.

The secret? Live and breathe books and love them until you hate them. Easy and dangerous. Obsessions are kind of like that.

Posts: 110 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

Oh. I thought you were saying you'd moved (since then).

Why not drop Munsil Man a line and become a weekend flasher? WIth a time limit of 90 minutes, it's no big time commitment.

I sent Big Powwow off to an agent. While she's looking it over, of course, I thought of changes that needed to be made, so I'm doing another revision.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crotalus
Member # 2345

Yeah Will. That was the new place. It's just taken this long for the dust to settle. I've thought about LH for awhile. I think I'm ready to give it a try, so I'll send Munsil an email. Do I still need a referral to get in? If so, give me one.

Good luck with BPW. I can't wait to read it.

wbriggs
Member # 2267

Done! (The vouch, that is.)
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
velcome back crotalus
enjoying the new job?

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

- posted      Profile for Silver3   Email Silver3         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Crotalus,
Nice to see you pop in here! Glad you found a new job; I hope it's interesting.
I don't get much sleep those days either...

Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crotalus
Member # 2345

Thanks for remembering me Hoptoad and Silver3! The new job is challenging. I learned most of my practical chemistry in a pharma setting. Getting used to the nuclear industry is taking some time. Radiological practices and all that. But I don't think electricity will be outsourced anytime soon and we are finally getting to the point in the US where we are building new reactors, so the industry looks promising.

Will, thanks for the vouch. I've heard back from Mike and am now awaiting his final authorization. Mayhaps I'll do my first flash challenge this weekend! Even less sleep, yea!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.